Chapter 04

Insurrection

Byunghun waited a few more days to talk to his father about whoever Lee Chanhee was. He could not seem to find the right time to ask his father nor did he know how to bring it up. With each day that passed by, Byunghun was becoming more and more impatient. Until one quiet night during dinner, he found the perfect opportunity.

“Father, do you know anyone by the name of Lee Chanhee?” Byunghun glanced at his father before returning his gaze to his unfinished food, no longer having appetite.

He heard his mother gasp loudly and Byunghun stared across the table at her. Her face was emotionless, but Byunghun could decipher all of her emotions through her eyes.

She appeared to be scared.

“Why did you bring up that name now, Byunghun?” His father asked, seemingly unaffected by the mention of Lee Chanhee.

“I…was told by someone to say that Lee Chanhee sends his greetings. Who is he? I tried to search for him in the database, but all the information about him was empty. I couldn’t even find a picture of him.” Byunghun decided to leave out his confession of going to a protest and meeting Chunji. It definitely did not seem like a good choice to tell his parents that day.

“Information on Lee Chanhee is classified according to the government, dear. There is no way you will ever find information about him.” Byunghun’s mother spoke in a soft tone, fear still evident in her eyes.

“Why?” Byunghun pressed the issue, still wanting more information from his parents. It was obvious that they knew something that he did not.

“Lee Chanhee is dead to us, son. I do not want you to mention his name ever again, understand?” His father replied with a strict tone and Byunghun’s eyes widened.

Nowhere in the database did it say that Lee Chanhee had died. It was only possible to search in the database for people that were still alive. This meant that his parents were lying to him, right to his face.

Frowning, Byunghun decided to drop the subject. He excused himself from the dinner table and never looked back as he made his way towards his room. He immediately locked his room once he was inside and sighed, leaning against the door.

“You seem upset.”

Those were the last words Byunghun heard before everything surrounding him faded to black.

X

Chunji sighed as he helped Jonghyun carry an unconscious body towards Ricky’s cell. He could see a trail of blood coming from the wound on the person’s forehead.

“Did you really need to hit him so hard, Jonghyun? What if he lost his memories or something?” Chunji groaned as he felt his arms become weak, looking over to the younger rebel.

“I didn’t mean to hit him so hard. It kind of just happened.” Jonghyun replied and Chunji could not help but roll his eyes. Jonghyun was blatantly lying.

Chunji unlocked the door to Ricky’s cell, glancing inside to see Ricky asleep in the corner. Jonghyun carried the body inside and towards the corner opposite of Ricky.  

“You go back to Minsoo hyung. I will wait until these two wake up so that I get some information from them.” Chunji dismissed the younger boy, who left without another word.

The rebel approached Ricky’s sleeping body before gently nudging the elite, trying to wake him up. Ricky groaned for a moment and slowly opened his eyes, staring back up at Chunji.

“Am I going to die now?” He asked and Chunji was not exactly sure if he was kidding or not.

“That will come another day, but not today. You have a roommate now and I wanted to make sure that you would not freak out or anything.” Chunji motioned towards the motionless body in the other and as if on cue, another groan echoed throughout the room.

“His name is Byunghun. I am sure you already know which family he is from.” Chunji’s words were cold and void of all emotions.

Ricky’s eyes widened in surprise as he immediately rushed over to the other boy, whose eyes were opening slightly.

“Hyung! Hyung, it’s me, Changhyun? Do you remember me?” Ricky shook Byunghun carefully, trying to make the older boy look straight at him.

“Where… Where am I?” Byunghun’s raspy voice asked and Chunji took the initiative to answer.

“This is your new home. Sorry, we have no butlers or maids here so you might be a bit uncomfortable.” Chunji’s sarcasm was almost too obvious and Ricky turned around to glare at him.

“Just ignore Chunji hyung. Are you okay? Does your head hurt still? I guess Jonghyun really hit you hard, but your wound seems to have stopped bleeding.” Ricky smiled because he was finally able to have company besides the rebels that occasionally checked up on him.

“C-Changhyun? What are you doing here? You went missing a year ago!” Byunghun grasped the younger elite’s shoulders and pulled him into a hug.

Changhyun was the heir to a company that Byunghun’s father had worked with in the past. Whenever the elite companies decided to hold an event or gathering together, Byunghun would always see Changhyun being friendly with anyone who crossed his path. He was a gentle and kind person, but when he suddenly disappeared a year ago, things started to change. Changhyun’s family company started to lose profit once the heir disappeared and no one had an idea as to where exactly he went. The company only managed to survive because Byunghun’s father decided to purchase it.

The hug between the two elites lasted for a few moments before Chunji cleared his throat loudly, a look of annoyance appearing on his face as the two stared back at him.

“I hate to ruin your cute reunion right now, but I have some questions for the both of you.” The rebel crossed his arms, glaring down at the elites seated on the ground.

“Wait, why am I even here?! How did you get into my room?” Byunghun stood up quickly, yelling in anger towards Chunji who merely scoffed in reply.

“It was too easy to get through your security system, Byunghun. Also, you are here to help us with the rebellion, just like Changhyun. But you should call him Ricky, since he is practically a rebel now.”  

Byunghun took a deep breath and turned to face Ricky, who had looked away with a guilty look on his face.

“Did you join these rebels, Changhyun? Is Chunji telling the truth?” Byunghun pushed the young elite’s shoulders gently, trying to force an answer out of him.

“I have my reasons for helping them, Byunghun hyung. I do not think you would understand if I tried to explain myself to you.” Ricky frowned sadly at Byunghun before sitting back against the wall, looking down at the floor.

“I asked my father about Lee Chanhee. He told me that Lee Chanhee is dead to my family and should never be mentioned ever again.” Byunghun glanced at Chunji, waiting to see his reaction.

“Lee Chanhee?” Ricky whispered, his eyes shifting back and forth nervously between Byunghun and Chunji. He was surprised Byunghun could not remember the true Lee Chanhee.

“Byunghun, you really have no idea who Lee Chanhee was?” Chunji sighed and shook his head in disappointment, looking away for a moment before running a hand through his hair.

“Why should I? He is not important to me at all! I have never even heard that name before you mentioned it to me!” Byunghun yelled out, glaring at the rebel who simply frowned in return.

“Hyung, Lee Chanhee was your best friend.” Ricky murmured, causing Byunghun to stare back at him in surprise.

Now things seemed to be getting even more complicated.

For everyone.

--

A/N: Sorry for the delay! I got preoccupied by life, but here’s a new update! I apologize for any grammar errors or misspellings~ And thank you to those that have subscribed and/or commented! Your feedback and reactions help me out a lot!