Approach

Carpe Diem

"Niel-ah, customer!"

Daniel blinked, looking up from some pastries he had been icing, biting his tongue to finish this last one and wiping his hands on his apron. He jogged to the front counter, flour-clad hand running through his hair, leaving some flour on his fringe.

"I apologise for the wait. What may I get you?" Daniel asked, punching his employee pin into the cashier register, not looking the customer in the face yet.

"Caffé Americano and a sub sandwich, please." A familiar voice said, a happy timbre lacing over the deep tone. Niel looked up, a small smile nudging at the corners of his lips. Minsoo wore a nice fitted navy suit, like last time. Only one button was done, showing off his grey-patterned tie. 

"Of course. Anything else with that, sir?" Daniel asked, putting in the order, trying his hardest not to grin like an idiot every 5 seconds.

"Ah, I insist that you call me Minsoo.”

“S-Sorry.” The boy gave a small chuckle and bowed.

“Anyway, what were you making back there that caused me to wait for a while?" Minsoo remarked, a smug smile on his face as he noticed Daniel's cheeks flushing ever so slightly, looking behind him to where the boy had come from.

"Oh, just a few cupcakes and doughnuts. Would you like some? On the house for making you wait, of course."

The older man chuckled, nodding as he couldn't turn down such a sweet offer from the other.

Minsoo made his way to the table he sat at the other day, it being the closest to the counter so he could happily observe the boy preparing his coffee and sandwich without it seeming too obvious.

Maybe it was sort of creepy, Minsoo thought. He had only seen Daniel in the store twice now, so it was a bit strange how he already had this much interest in the short cafe owner.

 

But Minsoo couldn't help it. There was so much he had already observed about Daniel.

He was just an awkward ball of worry. Daniel's movements alone showed how careful he wished to be, that if he messed anything up, he'd have to do it all again so it would be perfect. 

A perfectionist, of course Niel was one. He owned a shop on his own, he looked a few years younger than Minsoo, and compared to the other workers, who were light and happy all the time. Minsoo didn’t think Niel was unhappy, it just meant that he could recognise that the boy had a lot on his shoulders, so of course he needed everything to be perfect.

Minsoo let out a sigh, undoing that one button on his suit jacket and taking it off, stretching his arms above his head, groaning as he heard a few bones crack in his back. Sitting at a desk all day was not what he was made for. Sure, he was the Art Director of a very important company and loved his job. But Minsoo was not a suit and tie guy.

He loved to just wear quirky t-shirts and skinny jeans, hair gel free and messy as hell. Minsoo was very sure he came off as some high class freak, but he couldn't be less than that.

"A Caffé Americano and a submarine sandwich, for Minsoo." Daniel's soft voice broke the man out of his very long trance, looking down at the coffee cup and very pretty looking sandwich that was on the plate in front of him. He turned to Daniel, who had a large smile on his face.

"Thank you, Niel." Minsoo’s voice laced with bliss. Niel nodded and walked off. Minsoo watched as the younger boy walked back behind the counter, seating himself on a stool and tapping on some white paper bag before grabbing a black marker. He tapped it on his lower lip a few times before uncapping it, scribbling something onto the bag.

He looked up, locking gazes with Minsoo, who had his coffee in his hand, fingers drumming against the side of it as a smile formed on his tanned features. Niel smiled back, putting his hand on the bag and mouthing 'These are for you, hyung. Don't forget.' as if there were a million people in this room when in reality, it was just the two of them, the one employee who had called for Niel going off for his break. Minsoo could vaguely remember the name on his nametag. Changhyun or something.

Daniel could’ve yelled as loud as he wanted, it wouldn't be bothering anyone at all. But Minsoo felt as if it would be annoying in a way if he didn't whisper or mouth it. It just seemed more intimate for some reason.

Minsoo gave a nod, mouthing back 'Of course, Niel.'

And the shop went completely silent, Niel sitting behind the counter, looking down at his phone and sometimes looking up to glance at the older man, and said man sitting at his table, quickly finishing his food. Niel thought he would be getting up to pay and get his stuff at that time, but Minsoo just sighed, which he seemed to do a lot, and loosened his grey tie, leaning back in his chair and sipping his drink in peace. It confused the boy, who looked at the clock to see the time was past most lunch breaks.

"Minsoo-hyung, aren’t you going to be late for work?" Daniel asked, walking to Minsoo's table and sitting down across from him. Minsoo smiled, sitting forward and leaning slightly, eyes glued to Daniel's face.

"Eh, they won't miss me for a couple more minutes. Niel-ssi?" The younger man cocked an eyebrow, as if saying 'Yes, hyung?’

Minsoo continued, a peaceful expression on his face. “What’s your full name?”

“Ahn Daniel. Why?"

"Bang Minsoo." Daniel gave a confused look, wondering what the man was going at.

"Huh?"

"My full name is Bang Minsoo."

"And why are you telling me this, Minsoo?" Niel sounded more harsh than he had intended, but he was just confused.

The older man shrugged, pursing his lips as he noticed Daniel didn't get it. "I feel way too comfortable here for my second time in this store and I don't know why. But I have a feeling it’s because you're a nice kid who's expecting too much from himself." Daniel opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as he noticed maybe Minsoo was right.

"Well...I'm glad you feel comfortable here, hyung. But why'd you ask for my full name?"

Minsoo laughed, standing up and picking up his coat. Niel stood up as well, scurrying to the counter.

"Because I want to get to know you, Ahn Daniel." The younger boy felt his cheeks burn brightly, accepting the money from Minsoo, who said to keep the change as he took the bag of pastries.

"Have a nice day, Bang Minsoo."