Tradition

Golden

Idiot, Hoya thought immediately after ending the call from Woohyun.

He received the same exact request from Sunggyu a few hours before – to babysit his one year old baby daughter for two days while he was away on a mini vacation with his girlfriend to work out some misunderstandings so that it didn't lead to a break-up – but Hoya had done the honest thing and said he didn't want to spend two days and nights changing nappies to the sounds of whining and crying.

Woohyun had done the exact opposite. He lied about being great with kids and happily accepted the responsibility. Of course, that only lasted two hours though before he decided to call for back-up – and Hoya happened to be the only person who would almost always drop everything and go to him in his desperate times.

Sometimes Hoya thought he was too good to Woohyun. This was one of those times.

Without so much as a greeting or an apology from the slightly older half- male, the baby was ed into his arms the second he arrived at Woohyun's door. Woohyun ran off to his room and came back a minute later wearing jeans this time, but was still shirtless as he paced around Hoya and ranted about his sufferings from the last 2 hours.

"I can't do this, Hoya. I think I'm cracking up." 

"So why did you accept the responsibility then? Sunggyu would have just asked someone else if you'd said No like I did." 

"I wanted to help a friend... that's what friends are for." 

Hoya scoffed at that. "And am I not your friend?"

"You are. That's why I called you, not anyone else."

Woohyun's stupid grin after saying that was the only thing stopping Hoya from arguing further, but he'd never admit it. 

As it turned out, a nappy change alone wasn't enough to stop little Gyuri's crying but thankfully, Hoya wasn't as unfamiliar to her as Woohyun was. He was a frequent guest in Sunggyu's house after all – and Gyuri loved him – so playing with her with a plush toy while holding her in his arms (complete with some silly faces he did for her while turning his back to Woohyun so that he didn't get to witness it) was all it took to calm her down afterwords.

Meanwhile Woohyun watched from the side, amazed at how well Hoya could manage a baby for someone who doesn't have children, or even like children for that matter. 

By the time Gyuri dozed off, Hoya was exhausted and cranky. Anything Woohyun said to him was countered with a tired glare and cold responses. Deep down, Woohyun knew that Hoya wasn't as angry with him as he let on.

While the older was setting up a bed on the floor of his room, Hoya lay in the bed with one arm hanging off it, watching Woohyun. 

"You're not expecting me to sleep there, are you?" 

"Of course I am. I'm putting all my love into this. You're going to have such good dreams while sleeping here. I promise." Woohyun said sweetly as he patted the blanket before caressing it with his hand as if it was the best possible place to sleep. "Come here."

When he looked up though, Hoya was already more than half asleep and about to fall off the bed. 

Woohyun sighed. He got up to lift Hoya off the bed, but instead, rolled him to the centre of it. After all, Hoya was sort of like his hero for the night and deserved everything the way he wanted. 

Thinking back to when Sunggyu had asked him to baby sit, it wasn't that Woohyun readily accepted the responsibility without worries. No, Sunggyu had to coax him with ideas and sweet words and promises.

It had been Sunggyu who suggested calling Hoya to help out if he was to have too much trouble (not that Woohyun wouldn't have called Hoya without this suggestion though). In fact, Sunggyu had sort of insisted on it because leaving his child with Woohyun was otherwise a terrible idea and he was obviously aware that. 

Was it part of his masterplan then? Sunggyu seemed like that kind of genious to coax Woohyun into baby sitting just so he would call Hoya for help – because he somehow knew Hoya would only agree to baby sit if it was Woohyun who needed him. 

Woohyun shook his head at this thought. There was no way Sunggyu had known about him and Hoya. It had been over between them long before either of them ever met Sunggyu. 

 

"Woohyun. Don't take this the wrong way but... can I sleep with you?" 

Woohyun snorted, laughing out loud at the request. "What way do you want me to take it then?"

"Stop laughing, you ." Hoya groaned as he hopped off the top bunk of the bed in Woohyun's room, which was there just for the purpose of letting Woohyun's friends sleep over. "Move over." 

Still laughing, Woohyun did as Hoya asked and rolled back towards the wall, patting the mattress in an inviting way. "Okay. Come here, baby."

"What the– Woohyun, no..." the younger boy let out with a displeased tone of voice. Woohyun's gross way of invitating him to his bed didn't stop him from doing so though; he lay down and turned his back to Woohyun. 

"Is this because you had that nightmare last night?" 

No, Hoya wanted to lie and say but the sound that came out of him sounded more like an affirmative. Woohyun knew he was right anyway, so he placed his hand on Hoya's back and rubbed it gently. 

After a few minutes of doing that, Hoya reached his own hand behind his back to grab onto Woohyun's. "Can you..." he started, but sounded hesitant and ended up trailing off.

"What?" 

"Just don't laugh. I'll hate you forever." 

Hoya pulled Woohyun's hand over, under his elbow and interlaced his fingers with his while holding it to his chest. Woohyun didn't laugh; maybe he was too tired. Then he inched a little closer to Hoya to get more comfortable and pressed his forehead against the back of Hoya's neck. 

And that was the first time the two boys fell asleep together spooning. 

 

"You still get nightmares, huh..." Woohyun pondered to himself as he listened to Hoya's soft panting and stirring in the bed. It hadn't been ten minutes since he checked on Gyuri for the last time before turning off all the lights and lying down on the floor. Woohyun couldn't sleep.

After just a moment of hesitation, he got up off the floor and crawled into bed and under the blanket. He wrapped his arm around Hoya from behind and began rubbing his chest gently. He knew it probably wouldn't help much if Hoya was already unconscious – would he feel another body close to him while he was dreaming? – but he did so anyway. At the very least he'll be able to relax easier when he wakes up from the nightmare.

 

Woohyun woke up some hours later with a start. 

He had expected to wake up to Gyuri crying, hungry and uncomfortable, but what he didn't expect was the laughter coming from his living room – and not just Gyuri's laughter, but Hoya's too. 

He found the younger male in the living room, making silly faces and sounds at the one year old as he was just finishing changing her nappies. 

"Good girl." Hoya spoke softly as he picked her up in his arms and carried the dirty nappy to the rubbish bin in the kitchen. "I know you miss your mommy and daddy but uncle Hoya is here too, so you can relax. Okay? Uncle Woohyun isn't so bad either once you get to know him. Be good to him, Gyuri, so that he'll have more courage to play with you too." 

Hoya was talking to a one year old girl who probably had no idea what he was saying to her, but he said it so cutely that at least she was entertained by it. Woohyun couldn't help but laugh a little at the sight of Hoya looking as if he was playing with his own daughter. It was his first time seeing him like that. 

"Woohyun." Hoya lowered his voice, clearing his throat. "Sorry. Did we wake you?"

"Yeah. No, I'm sorry. It's my fault you're the one that's awake so early," he said while glancing at the clock in the kitchen, which hadn't quite reached 6 yet. The sun was just beginning to rise. 

"It's okay. I'm heading to work in a while anyway." 

"You mean I have to be alone with her?" 

It was Hoya's turn to laugh. "Oh, come on, Woohyun. It's not that bad."

"Hoya. She is going to drive me insane. You saw what she did to me last night in just two hours." He ran his hands through his hair in a stressful fashion, looking miserable. "Can't you take the day off?" 

"No." Hoya was still laughing. "Come here. I'll show you something." 

Woohyun did as told and shuffled slowly over to Hoya's side to peek over his shoulder at the child in his arms. Seeing how Gyuri's face scrunched up a little when Woohyun's face came to her line of vision discouraged Woohyun greatly, but then something else happened. She smiled and giggled. 

"See? She likes you." 

Gyuri's hand reached out towards Woohyun's so he took a gentle hold of it, before giving her little fingertips a soft kiss. Her giggles that followed were really cute and finally put Woohyun at ease, drawing a relieved sigh out of him. 

Woohyun's free hand curled gently around Hoya's hip while he rested his cheek against Hoya's shoulder and continued playing with Gyuri's hand for a moment. 

"I think it's only because you're holding her that she's so quiet."

"Woohyun." Hoya spoke up, quietly again. "You can do this for 10 hours, can't you?"

"Do what?" 

"Just play with her a little and put her back to sleep in her crib for a few more hours since she was up so late last night. I'll try to come back during lunch to help you feed her." Hoya sighed. "Just don't call me during work hours..." 

"I'll try not to."

 

Thankfully Gyuri fell asleep before Hoya had to leave for work, but unfortunately she didn't stay for long. At least she didn't cry when Woohyun picked her up out of her crib. He the television and set her down on a blanket he'd laid out for her on the floor, and sat by her side while she played with some of the toys Sunggyu had brought down before leaving.

Evidently, she didn't really like these toys though. She crawled over to Woohyun and insisted that he pick her up and cuddle her in his arms for a while. 

But the important thing was that at least she didn't cry. 

"Do you like Hoya more than me?" Woohyun asked as he looked at her.

She blinked her eyes, reaching out her hand to touch his nose. 

"Why do you like Hoya more? I'm better." 

Gyuri slapped his cheek lightly and laughed at the way Woohyun winced slightly from surprise. 

"I take it you don't agree," Woohyun spoke softly, frowning. "But you know what?"

He waited for a response before continuing. Gyuri continued to just gaze into his eyes with her own wide eyes. Woohyun was sure Gyuri took after her mother in terms of looks because of her beautiful eyes.

"You know what?" he started again, "I like Hoya more than you do. If you don't agree, you can fight me." He chuckled before adding, "When you're older, that is." 

Gyuri started to struggle in his arms, and he knew it was his cue to put her back down so that she can play with her toys again. 

His soul almost jumped out of his body when he heard footsteps approach from behind him before a voice spoke up, "Did you just try to pick a fight with a one year old?"

"How long were you standing there?" 

Hoya smiled, "Long enough to witness you being stupid, just as I expected." To Woohyun's surprise, Gyuri didn't react in any way when Hoya sat on the side of the blanket too. "Has she eaten?"

"I made some breakfast earlier while she was sleeping. She actually ate some when she woke up. I didn't even know children like vegetables."

Hoya scrunched his eyebrows a little. "Huh... so I came back for no reason." 

"I can be your reason." Woohyun said with a cheesy smile as he reached for Hoya's hand and held it on top of his thigh. "I bet Gyuri is really happy to see you too once she loses interest in her toys again."

Hoya curled his fingers around Woohyun's, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "Because she likes me more than she likes you?" he chuckled when he felt Woohyun's hand jerk slightly in his grip, before he nodded. "And you like me more than she does?"

"You weren't supposed to hear that." 

"Too bad. I heard it." Hoya said, grinning, "At least make me some lunch, honey. I have to go back to work in 15 minutes."

Woohyun pulled his hand out of Hoya's grip and frowned as he stood up. 

Hoya decided not to further and picked up Gyuri instead when she started crawling towards him. Meanwhile, Woohyun left the room to hopefully prepare something for Hoya in the kitchen. 

When Woohyun was out of hearing range, Hoya held Gyuri up in front of him and looked at her with a playful smile. "So..." he started quietly with a cute voice, "You like me more than Woohyun?" 

The one year old kicked her feet a little and whined, so Hoya pulled her back to his chest. 

"Too bad," he said as he caressed her head, "I don't like you more than I like that idiot. But don't get me wrong, I think you're pretty cool too for a one year old." 

He laughed when Gyuri started to struggle, taking it as she was offended and complaining about his blunt honesty and teasing. He then set her back down on the blanket and waited for Woohyun who returned just a minute later with warm sandwiches. 

"Here you go babe. Made with the purest love by yours truly." Woohyun placed the plate on Hoya's lap as he spoke, "And some bread and ham and cheese, of course."

The younger laughed at Woohyun still playing along with the marrieds pretense he playfully brought up earlier. "Thanks Woohyun. You're a gem." He finished with a wink before taking a bite from one sandwich.

 

When it was time to leave, Hoya almost gave Woohyun an accidental kiss, forgetting the whole act had been just that – an act. So when he leaned in and Gyuri's hand reached out to touch his nose, he gave the intruding hand a kiss instead before placing another one on the child's forehead. 

"I'll see you tonight." 

 

Hoya half expected Gyuri to be sick of Woohyun and crying again by the time he returned to his house after work, but the older of the two kids was dancing along to latin dance music in the living room with the younger kid in his arms. Hoya would have laughed if he wasn't so exhausted after a long day at work. 

"Looks like you two are getting along better now." 

"I'm actually having so much fun. This kid is so awesome!" 

Hoya smiled at that and sat down on the couch. 

If Woohyun had no toubles with Gyuri anymore then that meant that he could go home. Hoya kicked gently at the backpack he'd brought with him; packed in it were fresh clothes for tomorrow that he'd brought from his house after work. It was unnecessary now since he could probably go back home for the night.

"You might want to calm it down a notch now. I think Gyuri is getting tired. Did she nap after I left?" 

"She did, don't worry about it. I changed her a million times too. And yes, she ate too." 

Hoya stood up and lowered the volume on the music player. "Woohyun." 

"Why are you trying to ruin my buzz, Hoya?"

"Let the kid sleep, she's exhausted. I'm surprised she hasn't started crying yet..." Hoya took Gyuri gently from Woohyun's arms and just swayed her a little before she closed her eyes and dozed off. "See?"

"Oh." Woohyun sighed and watched Hoya place the sleeping girl in her crib.

"I'm sorry for ruining your fun, Woohyun... In return," Hoya started as he took a few steps closer to Woohyun while the older took one step back, a little startled by how close Hoya went to him. "In return," Hoya repeated as his hand found Woohyun's waist and pulled him closer. "I'll dance with you." 

Woohyun tried to turn around – probably to turn the volume back up, Hoya guessed – but his arms around him held Woohyun firmly in place while he shook his head with a small smile. 

"Oh. Right... Gyuri." Woohyun let out, chuckling. He then wrapped his arms around Hoya's neck and began swaying his hips along to the quiet music, together with Hoya's movements. "Well, this isn't so bad either."

It was the most fun Woohyun had had with Hoya in a long time. 

Dancing was something the two had in common since they were younger. As ten year olds, up until they were fourteen, they were the two boys in their class who joked around the most – the 'class clowns', people called them.

Every Christmas when the school had a dance, the two boys would mess around the dance floor – where barely anyone else even danced because they were too shy – dancing to completely non-relatable music in different styles of dance just to confuse everyone. They'd dance to hip hop during random pop songs, then suddenly start perfectly well synchronized but offbeat jumpstyle dance during the quieter slow songs, and then slow dance together like a couple during the most upbeat song that were popularly played. 

At some point it had turned into a kind of a tradition for them.

This tradition was brought back to life when the latin like moves they initially attempted, to dance along to the exhilarating music, gradually tuned down and became slower, until their arms were just lazily around each other and their gazes interlocked for the duration of an entire song as they swayed around in cicles. 

It wasn't until a couple of knocks rapped against the front door that the two broke apart. Hoya stared at the older who shrugged before suddenly gasping with realisation. 

"Sunggyu."

"Isn't he still on his vacation with..?" 

"He's back a day early. Said he had an announcement." 

"He's finally getting married, isn't he." Hoya asked, half sure that he was right. 

The 'vacation we need in order to resolve some misunderstandings' was just as Hoya expected: a disguise for a romantic day trip away to drop the proposal Hoya had known Sunggyu was planning since before Gyuri was born. 

Woohyun was the most shocked at the news. 

"I thought you guys were about to break up!" He exclaimed, only to be pinched by Hoya who tried to remind him that Gyuri was still asleep.

Sunggyu's fiance flashed him a brilliant smile and showed him the ring, "Believe me, I did too, until he made it painfully obvious that the fights we've been having were actually leading up to this."

"Oh, man... Sunggyu." Hoya shook his head in mock disappointment. "That's such an old trick. Why did you even think you could pull it off?"

Sunggyu scratched his head, embarrassed, but the smile on his face was very bright.

Woohyun went to give them both a congratulatory hug, while Hoya went to check on Gyuri who made some sounds from her crib. Before she started crying again, like she did the night before, he picked her up and brought her to her parents. 

"I didn't know you'd be here too, Hoya. Are you two living together?" Sunggyu's fiance asked as she took her sleepy daughter from Hoya's arms. Meanwhile, Sunggyu started snickering behind her. 

Woohyun sent Sunggyu a look. "I knew it."

"I knew it too." Hoya ruffled Woohyun's hair before giving it a push. 

"Knew what?" 

"Sunggyu." The two twenty four year olds spoke the name together, causing the twenty six year old in question to laugh out even louder. Hoya went on to explain, "He set it up like this because he knew I'd agree to baby sit Gyuri if I found out he trusted the responsibility to this hopeless kid." He pointed to Woohyun.

"Kid? I'm older than you." Woohyun reminded him while poking his side.

"I still doubt that sometimes." 

 

Since Hoya had already packed a backpack to prepare for another night at Woohyun's, he decided against going home when Sunggyu and his family left. Instead, he made himself comfortable in Woohyun's bed again, claiming it for himself even though he hadn't really helped Woohyun in any way this time. 

Woohyun made a show of getting into the bed on the floor and rolling around it, wincing and whining that the floor is too hard. 

Hoya chuckled, "So are you going to wait for me to fall asleep again before you crawl into bed with me or can I just invite you over here now?"

"Be right there!"

Woohyun shot up off the floor almost immediately and turned the lights off before jumping onto the bed, only to draw out some shocked and annoyed groans from Hoya. 

They fell asleep in the same position as the night before, but with Woohyun as the little spoon this time. 

 


** THE END **

I love WooYa so much. I've just realised I've never written them before and it has been lovely. I enjoyed it. Hope you enjoyed it too! Thanks for reading. ^^