Final.

The Boy And The Book

"Dad, I'll be going out for a while this afternoon okay?" I told my dad as we were having our breakfast.

"Where are you going? Are you going on another date?" he asked me with a mocking voice.

"NO I AM NOT! I was just going out to the bookstore to buy a copy of this really awesome book that just came out yesterday.. Wait, so basically I am going on a date but with books instead of a person i guess." My just laughed at me and said that i really have to find a boyfriend before i go crazy. Such sarcasm of his. "Whatever just be careful." he added.

"Do you want me to buy anything? Any snack or anything?" I asked him.

"Nah i won't be needing anything. What time will you be back home by the way?" he asked with a questioned face.

"I'll be back as soon as I pay the cashier for the book. I'll be home in a jiffy!" I gave him a thumbs up sign along with a wink.

"Okay okay you're such a nerd" Dad joked again. I stuck out my tongue as I stood up from my seat and rushed up the stairs heading to my room.

          It was already 9.30 a.m. and the mall opens at 10 a.m. I was so excited that I ended up moving here and there like a tornado. In 10 minutes I was already done getting ready! I just decided to wear my black skinny jeans along with my grey tanktop and a pair red converse. I took one last look in the mirror and made a twirl. I tilted my head and smiled at my reflection. I'm not really a fan of cosmetics so I don't really apply make up as well. I'm proud to say that I have no need of it. Thank God for my baby face.

"Simplicity is Beauty" I told myself and smirked.

          I went to get the car keys and hurriedly went downstairs and saw my dad waiting for me by the door. I kissed him goodbye as he watched me leave as I drove off. I put on my favourite CD by EXO and played the song "Baby Don't Cry" and sang to it until I reached the mall. I made it just in time when the entrace of the mall opened for us shoppers. I speedwalked my way towards the bookstore. I am still 10 steps away but I can already see what I wanted ever so dearly. In my eyes it was like a diamond glimming under the sun. I am filled with too much anticipation. I've been waiting for its release for the last two months and I can't wait to touch and smell it's crisp, thin pages. And now it's there right before my eyes. My most awaited book on the shelf as if it is saying "come and get me right now!". I reached for it and was about to take it when all of a sudden another hand tried to grab it the same time as I did. My eyes widened, because it clearly belonged to a boy. And I was right. Obviously.

          "Uh, are you going to buy that book?" The boy asked me with a smile. I stared at him and stilled. He has a perfect set of pearly white teeth and a smile filled with aegyo. I rather say the word 'cute' suits him more than 'handsome' because of his boyish looks. He looks 18. Same age as me. 

"Hey? You okay?" He asked me again. This time he leaned in closer.

"O-Oh, Y-Yeah I'm planning to buy it. I answere him feeling awkward with our close distance with each other.

"Well, I think I should be the one to buy it as I was the one who saw it first." He said with a smirk. What he just said made me scoff and wrinkle my eyebrow looking at him as if he were crazy.

"Excuse me?! I was the one to take it first." I immediately took hold of the book and he did so as well. The both of us are holding it together now. "YAHH!" I snapped.

"I saw it first. I went here yesterday but didn't have enough money to buy it so I decided to come back today to get it." The boy telling me smillingly. Holding onto the book as tight as I am.

"Let go of it and just grab another copy." I told him. The boy just grinned at me and cocked his head to the side. 

"Do you see anymore copies?" He asked me. I scanned the shelf from where I took it and realized that this was the last one. .

No..... I won't let him tke this book away from me. IT"S MINE! I told myself. "This book is mine." I told him sternly as I pulled the book from his grip but he also pulled it back towards him. There was a brief moment of push and pull between us but neither gave up.

"Excuse me ma'am? sir? What's going on?" A sales lady approached us.

"This dude won't hand the book I found first!" I answered not looking at the sales lady. 

"Hah! I found it first! Since YESTERDAY!" The boy answered back.

"Ah, ah, ah stop it. Stop." The sales lady butted it. "Sir, why won't you let this young lady have it for now hmm? We'll have a few copies again somewhere next week and you can have a reservation." The sales lady smiled at the boy nicely as I began tapping my foot hoping he would finally give in. They bot flashes us a boyish smile and scratched the back of his head. "Okay it's fine with me." He finally lets go of the damn book and grinned at me. I raised an eyebrow at him and went to pay for the book. 

          Hah! I won. I happily thought to myself as I watched the cashier wrap the book and put it into the paper bag after i paid for it. I'm already imagining myself reading the book tonight. I went out of the bookstore and headed to the parking lot. I never had any intention to wander aroung or go shopping. After all I did promise my dad that I'll be back right after I buy that book. All of a sudden someone poked my back which caused me to turn around to see who it was.

"Hey." It was the boy from the bookstore. I look at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"What do you want?" I asked him defensively, holding the book tight to my chest. The boy noticed the gesture and laughed.

"Relax. I have no intention of taking the book away from you. After all you have paid for it so that would be called stealing." He grins at me. He has smiling eyes and pinkish thin lips. He's taller than me by as few inches and has this really really cute boyish smile. Basically he really is good looking. 

"My name is Jimin. Park Jimin." he extended a hand. I look at him flatly and didn't take it. Why is he even doing this? The boy named Jimin looke dslightly embarrased. His hand that was offering the shake lifted up and touched the back of his neck. "I just want to get to know you that's all.

"Why exactly?" I asked him firmly.

"It's just that you were the first girll I've encountered who's also really interested in that story.And...." His eyes wandered around for a moment. "It's also my first time approaching a girl." He let out a sigh. "I guess it wasn't such a good idea after all." He bowed his head and couldn't look me in the eye.

          I softened up a bit and blinked at him a few times. He seemed nice enough. I guess he's also a book lover like me I guess based on his actions earlier. Maybe I should just forget what happened a while ago. Anyway he was a gentleman enough to let the book go. 

"No, It's cool." I told him. He looked at me again and his face lit up. "I'm y/n." I let out a hand and he took it immediately. "Sorry I was rude earlier." 

"Sorry we had a bad start." Jimin told me smillingly. I smiled back. "Want to go eat somewhere? My treat." he asked me. 

"Oh, I'm sorry I can't. I promised my dad that I'd be back home as soon as I bought this." I held up the book. "Maybe next time Jimin." I gave him a half smile. He nodded his head looking slightly frustrated. I took a glance of my watch and saw that it was only 10.30 a.m, maybe I could hang out for a little while. "Uh, I guess  maybe we could hang out for a while. It's still early anyways." I told him and saw his face brightened up.

"Where do you want to eat?" He asked me looking perked up.

"There's this new cafe at a few blocks away that has delicious food. Let's just eat there." I suggested.

"Okay then. Let's go."

          We went into the shop and he ordered foor the two of us. I told him I would like to have some caramal latte. When he came back to our table I noticed that he ordered that same. 

"We have the same order?" I asked him.

"Yep. Just so happen that I like it too. Guess we have another thing in common." He grins at me.

          We talked about a few things as we drank. I found out that we were the same age and he's a book lover, a nerd, and a geek. Just like me. We talked about our favourite books and authors. He also liked  hystorical fiction and mystery novels. I've never had this kind of conversation with a boy. I have to say, I never met boy who has same interest in books and reading the same as mine. It actually felt comfortable.  Jimin is such a great company.

          As we were in the middle of a conversation about the Divergent trilogy when all of a sudden my phone started ringing. It was my dad. I hastily answered it and talked for a few minutes. He asked me where I was and that I had to get home because it was already lunch time. After I ended the call, I told Jimin that I had to leave. 

"Let me drive you home." Jimin offered me as soon as I walked out of the store.

"Thanks but I also have a car. I mean, it's my dad's. I borrowed it." I answered him nicely.

"Oh okay then." He muttered. "Let me just walk you to the car then." 

"Okay." I giggled a bit. I wish i didn't have to go home yet because I had so much fun talking with him and I enjoyed every minute of it. 

We reached the parking lot and were now standing in front of my dad's car.

"So I guess this is a goodbye then?" Jimin asked me.

          I smiled at him and tapped on his shoulder. "Thanks for the coffee." I walked towards the of the driver's seat and opened the car door and went in. Jimin was still standing on the side of the car watching me as I started my engine.  I wave at him but before I could step on the gas pedal he knocked on my window. I opened it for him.

"What is it now?" I asked him grinning. 

"Well uh....." Jimin bit his lip. It seems like he's out of words or trying to say something but he doesn't know how to probably say it. 

"Yes?" I asked him with ceased eyebrows.

"I just want to ask if you know.... we could ..... see each other sometimes?" he asks me. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble I mean like if you're busy then it's okay.." He inhaled deeply. He looked nervous when he asked me if we could go out again and it was so cute it made me smile. 

"I would love to see you again some other time." I told him. A broad smile spread across his face. "Same time, same place next week?" I ask him. 

He nods his head vigorously. "Sure, sure I'm okay with that."

"Okay. See you then." I told him and waved him a goodbye. I started driving and saw him standing still and watched as I drove away in the rearview mirror. 

          The whole ride I kept thinking of him. He's an interesting boy and he's really nice. I think we suit each other really well in fact. And then I suddenly feel very excited to see him again. I've never felt anything like this my entire life. He was fascinating and I think I'm already infatuated with him. I'll soon find out about whatever this feeling I have the next time we meet.

 

 

-----

Annyeong!! Thank you for reading this oneshot. Don't forget to subscribe this story pretty please? *does aegyo face*