Make Up Bag

Make Up Bag

Gwiboon fiddled with the sleeve of her sweater. She took a deep breath and stood up straight before her nerves got to her again and she adjusted her already straightened out skirt again. Then she pulled out her compact and began to scrutinize her make up and hair. After a moment, she slammed it close with a sharp click and shoved it back into her purse.

 

“That’s it. I’m not going.” She moved to stand up form the couch where she was waiting for her cousin Taemin to get out of the bathroom.

 

“Gwiboon…” Warm arms wrapped around her waist before she could stand up completely and she was pulled back down onto the couch. Her boyfriend of six months, Jonghyun curled up into her a nuzzled her neck gently. “I know you want to go. You haven’t been to the mall in ages.”

 

“I’m fine. I’ve been shopping online!” She tried to wiggle her way out of his arms but he just tightened his grip on her.

 

Jonghyun lightly pecked her cheek so he wouldn’t ruin her lipstick and rubbed his thumb in lazy, soothing circles at her side. “You hate online shopping though. The clothes never fit you.”

 

She huffed indignantly and turned her head to the side.

 

“You’ll be fine, Gwiboon. You know every staff member who works at the mall by name and they all love you. And if they don’t like you anymore because you’ve realized you’re a girl and not a boy then who needs them?”

 

Gwiboon opened to argue but Jonghyun spoke over her. “You’re the most beautiful woman in the whole world and you have an impeccable taste in clothing. You’re charming to a fault and if people disagree with your opinions then they can go themselves for all you care.”

 

Gwiboon smiled slightly and tucked a lock of hair from her wig behind her ear.

 

“You’re amazing, Gwiboon. I’m so lucky to have you and I’m so proud of you. You’re taking a big step toward becoming your true self and I’m happy that I’m able to hold your hand through it.”

 

“You big cheese ball…” Gwiboon muttered slightly with a bashful smile on her face. She leaned over and gave him a grateful peck on the cheek. 

 

“Mommy!” A voice called out from the bathroom. Gwiboon perked up and pushed Jonghyun off her so she could rush down the hall to Taemin. 

 

“What is it, baby?” She cooed through the closed door. 

 

Jonghyun had followed lazily behind her and draped himself over he when he finally reached her. Gwiboon huffed at him but let him have his way since she was more focused on Taemin.

 

“Mommy, look!” Taemin opened the door to the bathroom and grinned up at her with a smile and smeared on make up on his face. On the floor behind him was opened tubes of mascara and broken up clumps of eyeshadow and smushed lipstick. But worst go all of Taemin. He had lips stick on the entire lower half go his face and his mascara and eyeshadow and mixed together until it was a messy finger painting decorating all the way up to his forehead. Taemin beamed up at Gwiboon, proud of the clown like make up he had put on up face.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes widened and he quickly whipped around to look at Gwiboon. That make up meant a lot to her, he knew it did. That was the first thing she had bought when she started to question her gender. It was what made her realize that she was a girl. Jonghyun had been there with her when she put on the make up the first time. It hadn’t gone very well. Her make up was too heavy and uneven; and in some places it was poorly blended. But Gwiboon started crying the second she saw herself. She gently touched her face and was smiling like it was the first time she had seen herself in a mirror. Ever since then, the make up had become her most prized possession. 

 

But instead of being furious like Jonghyun had expected her to be, she was beaming down at the young boy. 

 

Gwiboon bent down and scooped him up in her arms and twirled him around. “You look beautiful, Taemin!” She sang and Taemin giggled, enjoying being lifted up.

 

Jonghyun smiled, pleasantly surprised, when she set Taemin back down. Both of them were still smiling bigger than he had ever seen before. Gwiboon knelt down on the ground, so she could be at the same hight as her young cousin.

 

“But Taemin,” She spoke in a serious tone, the one she only used when she was scolding him. “You know you’re not suppose to touch other people stuff.”

 

“I know…” He mumbled and shrunk down and a betrayed and slightly confused expression. Just a second ago, Gwiboon had been so happy about his make up. What had changed?

 

“Next time you want to wear make up, ask me first. I’ll help you put it on!” She smiled at him and took his hand. “Wearing make up is awesome but it’s important to ask for permission first, Taemin.”

 

“Okay. I will.” He smiled back at her bashfully.

 

“Now come on,” Gwiboon took his hand and pulled him into the bathroom. “You made this mess so you’re going it help clean it up.”

 

Laughter and screeches came from the bathroom as Gibbon and Taemin played around as the cleaned and washed up. When they were done, they both changed (they had a water fight and got soaked), and went to the mall together. When they got home that night, everything had gone very well at the mall, just like Jonghyun had predicted. All of Gwiboon’s friends at the mall were very respectful and even helped her pick out some dressed that fit her perfectly (one cashier had notably teased them and asked if Taemin was their son when he called Gwiboon mommy).

 

When they got home that night, Taemin was tuckered out and went straight to bed with little resistance. Jonghyun and Gwiboon went to their own room quietly and closed the door behind them.

 

Gwiboon flopped down on the bed with a big sigh and Jonghyun laid down next to her. After a quiet peaceful moment where they lazy held hands, Jonghyun decided to ask her what had been bothering him all day.

 

“Why didn’t you get angry when Taemin messed up your make up?”

 

“Because my mom got angry when I touched her make up. And if I get angry with Taemin and he realizes he’s a girl in the future, things will be harder for him.”

 

Jonghyun pulled Gwiboon into his arms and pecked her lips. “You’re amazing.”

 

“Thank you, I try.”

 

They’re quiet for a second more before Jonghyun speaks up again.

 

“Why does he call you mommy but doesn't call me daddy?”

 

“Because he knows you’re not daddy material.”

 

“Gwiboon!”