Three

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Seunghyun was busy advancing Shin Hye's career, another side of the camp were busy hatching a plan to destroy her career. 

"Min Ho Oppa~ I think I have been patient enough."

"Do you really have to be with that man?"

"It's only natural... I love him... And you know that very well... Why? Are you having a change of heart?"

"Can't you just love me...? I am here for you... I don't want to see you hurt..."

"What hurts me is to see the way Seunghyun Oppa looked at that woman! And if you don't wish to see me hurt, you should be efficient enough to stop her from getting close from the beginning!" as Suzy vent her frustration towards Min Ho. 

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry Suzy... I'll try my best to do just that..." replied Min Ho.

With the sheer effort of the agency's marketing and Shin Hye's diligence, her career took off as she bagged another role for a movie. It was not long for Shin Hye to be spotted on the red carpet for a movie premiere.

"I heard that you will be attending the premiere of Haemoo?"

"How did you know, Sajangnim?"

"I won't be called a CEO for nothing isn't it?"

"It's not that Sajangnim... But I thought you were busy... Anyways, why the sudden question?"

"Well... I thought you will need a plus one for that event... So I am definitely available.. I've checked my schedule..."

"Really? Not that I am aware of..."

Aish~! This woman... Is she seriously this clueless?

"Well now you do..."

"Geurae... So you will be walking on the red carpet with me? Cannot be right? Since you are with Suzy-sshi... I do not wish to get into trouble with her in all honesty..."

Honestly I would if I could... Oh my goodness! She is really clueless....

"What makes you think that I will walk on the red carpet with you....?"

"I'm sorry Sajangnim... I should have known better..."

Oh my goodness! She is really clueless....

"No no.. That's not what I meant... You should be the star... So the attention should be on you... As for me, I am simply accompanying you once you are done with the red carpet...."

"Really?!" as Shin Hye responded in a cheerful manner.

"Yes.. Are you that happy?"

"Of course!"

Seunghyun was gleefully smiling but Shin Hye continued to speak, "I will be bored and awkward in social situations... Since I don't really know how to talk or good at interacting with people..." said Shin Hye who was wary of her status in the society especially after she experienced how Min Ho dislike her presence.

Upon listening to what Shin Hye had to say, his mood immediately changed, "Why do you say that about yourself, Shin Hye? What makes you think so?"

"Sajangnim... I don't have an affluent background... And you know my history too... So.. I don't think there's a need for me to further explain myself.." 

"Do you really think only people of affluent background knows how to interact well with others? Do you think that affluent people only mingle with their alike? Then what about us? Do you think I am shallow too? Just like them?" as Seunghyun stated feeling disappointed that Shin Hye thought lowly of herself despite the success she has achieved. You have no idea just how beautiful you are.. Inside and out.. If anyone should be blame it would have been me...

Shin Hye fell silent and sincerely apologised for her oversight, "Sajangnim... I'm sorry... I didn't meant it that way..."

"It's okay Shin Hye... I understand... But do not think that way again... You should embrace your new life.. You have no idea just how many suitors you have lining up for you... And I'm being the good CEO will not allow you to be in harm's way..." as the two smiled at each other.

The day of the movie premiere finally came around and unknown to Shin Hye, the dress that she had put on was selected by Seunghyun himself. He was running some errands when he came across the dress that he deemed to be perfect for Shin Hye and he was considerate enough to ensure that it would cover up her scarred back too. They went to the venue separately and finally met when they were about to enter the movie theatre. Unknown to them, Suzy's acquaintances were present too at the theatre as they witnessed just how affectionate and comfortable Seunghyun was towards Shin Hye while they sat next to each other, something that they have yet to witness between Seunghyun and Suzy even though they knew that Suzy was his fiancee. They unwittingly relayed the message to Suzy which causes her to be infuriated by his actions. Firstly, he did not inform her of his activity and had lied about having to attend some important business meeting and secondly, his behaviour in public with another woman other than his fiancee was unforgiving in her eyes. Upon hearing Suzy's request Min Ho decided to put his plan in motion. That very night, Min Ho waited for Shin Hye to reach home. He witnessed Seunghyun sending her back as they smiled before he take his leave. He did not know what he was feeling but he certainly did not like what he saw. He then approached her from behind as he tapped on her shoulder. 

"Shin Hye~"

"Min Ho Oppa~ What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you..."

"Anything happened? Are you alright?" as she enquired concerned. 

"Are you in a relationship with your CEO?"

Shin Hye scoffed as she could not believe what she was hearing, "Oppa~ It's been a while since we saw each other and that's the thing you asked me?"

"Because I worry about you..." as he replied keeping up with his pretense. 

"Thanks for you concern... But I know how to take care of myself... Don't you worry about it... Anyways my CEO is a good person..."

"Are you sure about that Shin Hye?"

"Yes..."

"What makes you say that?"

"He created an opportunity for me despite my conditions..."

"Shin Hye... How naive can you be...?"

"What do you mean by that Oppa?"

"He knows about us... He knows about our past relationship... He knows... That's why he is using you to get to me... He is purposely trying to put us in a spot... I don't get it Shin Hye... You said you wanted a clean break... That you don't wish to be a burden to me... And now, not only you accepted his help... But you are even looking at him with a different impression... I think you have forgotten how you got into prison in the first place... It was all his doing..." as Min Ho confesses trying to sway Shin Hye's judgement towards Seunghyun as he continued, "Do you really think he is trying to help you sincerely when his love one died because of us? He is known to be a shrewd person who is willing to go to any extent to get back what he lost... Do you really honestly think he is doing this all for you because he is sincere?"

Min Ho's words raised Shin Hye's doubts, it did not help that she had indeed suffered at the hands of Seunghyun especially with her late's father bakery. She began to think about the initial stages of the undefined relationship she shared with Seunghyun and how they got acquainted. Seunghyun basically haunted her. 

"Why are you telling me all this Oppa?"

"I want you to be safe... Plus he already has a fiancee what would others' think of you if he was to be seen with you?"

"Then what are you expecting me to do?"

"Stay away from him... What he is trying to do is just to drive us to the edge..."

"But I can't..."

"Huh? You are still stubborn uh? And you are going back on your words..."

"That's not my intention Oppa... But the bakery... The house... The contract... He is my Sajangnim for goodness sake... I can't simply stay away from him...."

"Are all those things important at this moment?! He is the one who caused you to be in prison, Shin Hye! He's the one that separated you and our son!"

Min Ho certainly knew how to trigger Shin Hye. He knew her weakness. A teary eyed Shin Hye replied, "What do you know about that Oppa? What are you saying?!"

"He knew that you were on parole... And he has the means to stop your parole... He has enough influence..."

Min Ho's words send another shockwave through her system. She felt lost all over again at the mention of her son as Min Ho begged her to stay away from Seunghyun, "Please Shin Hye.... Listen to me just this once... It is for your own good..."

"Oppa... I need some time alone.. To think..."

"Shin Hye ya~ Please... Contact me right away when you have decided..."

"Neh..." was the only thing she could reply him with. That night Shin Hye kept pondering about what she was told. Min Ho definitely succeed in causing her to doubt Seunghyun's sincerity as she felt that it was too good to be true and that she had it too easy. She wondered how could a person who hated her guts simply turned around to be the nice guy without a motive. Yes, she is acting in order to repay the money but she could not deny the fact that he invested in her. Her thoughts were filled to the extent that she ignored Seunghyun's text messages and calls as she placed her phone in silent mode. 

The next day, she dropped by her agency and even ignored Seunghyun as she passed him. He caught her by her wrist to gain her attention as she simply did not noticed his presence but as soon as she saw who was it, she yanked her hand out of his grip, catching Seunghyun by surprised! Never had he seen her with such hate in her eyes towards him. He saw her feared him before but this time it was different and he felt it right away. He was too stunned to say anything and he simply let her go, but as night falls, he noticed that Shin Hye was dancing her heart out in one of the practice room, without any attempt of leaving and he was concerned, because he was informed that Shin Hye was not herself. Seunghyun finally decided to head towards the practice studio to catch up with her. He knocked a couple of times before he invited himself in. Shin Hye was not giving him any attention as she continued to dance. She was basically drenched in her own perspiration. Seunghyun immediately stopped the music as soon as he saw her pale face, this time he finally gained her attention as they locked eyes after the afternoon incident.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed Shin Hye?"

Shin Hye remained silent and adamant not to answer him.

"You've been at it for hours! Have you eaten?" as he continued his questions towards her.

"Shin Hye! Are you even listening to me?"

Before she finally spoke, "I need a vacation Sajangnim..."

"What's wrong Shin Hye? Why are you being like this all of a sudden?"

"It was wrong of me to forget.... Because I shouldn't have forgotten..."

"What are you saying Shin Hye?"

"I forgot that I caused you pain... I forgot that you caused me pain too..."

"Stop speaking in riddles! Just answer me..."

"No reason to Sajangnim... So if you could excuse me...."

Seunghyun was not going to push her further knowing that it will only cause more harm than good, before he stated, "I'll give you two weeks..." but Shin Hye never once looked back. 

He was puzzled to his wits not understanding what just happened. One moment she was happy to spend time with him and the next moment she was not. He then dialled his personal secretary's mobile to enquire about what happened to Shin Hye and if he knew if something had came up in between the moments they were apart. 

Meanwhile, Shin Hye had agreed to relocate on her own, believing Min Ho's words to be true. Min Ho had chosen a temporary housing for her and she had indeed intended to take off for more than two weeks with the promise of Min Ho settling the issues between himself and Seunghyun man-to-man, further emphasising that he was doing the arrangement because he did not want Shin Hye to be implicated. Shin Hye went back to the bakery shophouse and decided to pack some belonging of her father's for old time sake before she left for the address that Min Ho had given her.  

Almost two weeks had passed, and Seunghyun became restless when he was not able to trace Shin Hye. He even went to the shophouse and waited for her. The house that she stayed with her friends had no evidence of her either as she left with most of the things intact. He tried to pressure her friends into revealing her whereabouts but they refused and caused a stir because Shin Hye had made it clear to them that she needed space away from him. To make matters worse for him, her contact number was no longer available and he was frustrated. 

Why are you doing this to me? Just why Shin Hye?!

His unstable condition prompted him to confront Min Ho and Min Ho was not going to let him off easy as he took the chance to rub in the salt to his wound. 

"You know just where is she isn't it?"

"No I don't..."

"Don't lie to me! You sure do know where is she..."

"No I don't... Why would I?"

"Then why in the world would she be hiding if it is not because of you?!"

"Why must it be because of me and not you?! You must not know that she fear you isn't it? You got her into prison and separated her from her child...."

"You mean..."

"She found out what you did.... That's why she left..."

"It can't be...." as Seunghyun stated in disbelief, "Everything was going well..." before he snapped out from his thoughts, "You... You know where she is!"

"Calm yourself down Seunghyun-sshi... We are in the office... What would people say about you if they saw you like this... You are an engaged man for that matter... Don't you even know how to appreciate the beauty that you have instead of having someone else? I symphatised with Suzy-sshi..."

"You should watch your mouth... Who are you to care about someone else's fiancee?"

Min Ho smirked as he remarked, "Anyways, as I've mentioned, I do not know where she is... So I don't see a point of you standing here in my office making it difficult for me... And Sajangnim.." with Min Ho calling Seunghyun by his designation in a mocking tone, "I need to work... There's lots for me to do... You mentioned to me before that I am just simply your employee... Would appreciate if you don't get me into trouble with the Chairman... I still have a family to support." 

Seunghyun left the office feeling upset that Shin Hye would simply take off like that, but his stubborn heart refused to back down as he made a call to his personal secretary to find Shin Hye's whereabouts by hook or by crook. Even if he had to spend every cent he had. At the same time, Shin Hye who was settling down in the small room began to unpack her belongings. She was hanging the clothes when she came across the jacket that she had gifted her father just before she was sent to prison. She took out the jacket close to her chest and without knowing a single tear began to roll down from the corner of her eyes. She inserted her hands into the pocket of the jacket to gain whatever warmth she could get just to comfort her broken heart, when she came across a receipt and a plastic wrapper. She wiped her tears and took note of the receipt. She recognized that it was from a mart that was in her neighbourhood and it was dated a day before her father was found dead in Pohang! She could not resist leaving the house in search of some answers about her father hoping to reconcile some unanswered questions she had over her father's death. 

"Shin Hye where are you going?" said the Ahjumonnie. Shin Hye simply bowed and apologised before she left the house in a hurry. 

*Rrriiinnggg~!"

"Omma, what is it that you need?"

"Shin Hye had stepped out of the house..."

"Mwo?! Didn't I tell you to keep an eye on her?!"

"Sorry Min Ho... And how could you shout at your mother like that?!"

"Sorry Omma... I didn't mean to..."

Meanwhile, Shin Hye had grabbed a cab in a perfect disguise as she made her way to the location. She dropped by and greeted the owner who was about to close the shutter of the minimart. 

"Ahjumonnie~" as she finally took off her sunglasses.

"Neh?! Shin Hye?"

"Neh... It's me... I'm sorry to impose on you like this but I need your help..."

"What is it Shin Hye?"

"This receipt... Belongs to your minimart right?" as she showed the evidence. 

"Neh... Why Shin Hye?"

"It's a day before Appa was found dead in Pohang... I was wondering if you knew anything about what happened?"

The Ahjumonnie tried hard to recall but it was not long before she replied, "Your Appa would come here often to get cream bread... But I remembered that night to be a rainy night. It was so heavy that it was reported in the news... But that night he did not left the shop alone..."

"You mean he was with someone?!"

"Neh..."

"Who is it Ahjumonnie?! Tell me who is it?!"

"The guy whom you are engaged to..."

Shin Hye's heart sank upon hearing the revelation. The idea that Min Ho might have known or knew about her father's last hour without mentioning anything to her simply tugged her heartstrings. She stood still in the street before she wandered off with her mind blocked out from everything else. Rain began to pour and she found herself standing infront of the bakery without even realising she squat down at the foot of the stairs to the shophouse hugging her knees and could not care if the rain was causing her to get drenched, even disguising the tears that she was shedding. That night, Seunghyun was driving and decided to pass by the bakery yet again hoping to catch a glimpse of Shin Hye while the search was in progress and he could not believe his luck. He grabbed an umbrella from his car and went towards her, 

"Shin Hye~! What are you doing here?! Just where have you been?!"

Despite Seunghyun's presence, Shin Hye remained silent. 

"You're going to get sick if this goes on.. Let's go..." as Seunghyun tried to move her from the spot but Shin Hye refused that she had him pushed -  causing him to fall and the umbrella slipped from his grip.

"What happened Shin Hye?! Why are you doing this to yourself?"

"It is none of your concern..."

"How can it be none of my concern?! When you are simply hurting yourself?"

"You simply just want me to repay your debts right? Just give me another week and I'll be back to work... For now... Please leave..." as Shin Hye spoke in a cold and harsh tone before she stood up and walked away leaving a dumbfounded Seunghyun. He was not himself either. The guilt that he was feeling and at the same time the soft spot that he had for Shin Hye simply would not let him react rashly towards her because truth be told if it was somebody else, he would have caused hell for the person. However, he was not leaving her alone. That night he ordered his secretary to trace her footsteps. Shin Hye was walking towards the house that she had shared with her friends when Min Ho stopped her in her tracks. 

"Shin Hye~ Why did you leave the house? And you did not even answer my call!"

Shin Hye simply looked at him with dead eyes and looked away without making any contact. 

"Don't you realise that it is dangerous for you to be out here like this?!"

"Dangerous for me or for you?" as she replied in a deadpan manner. 

"What do you mean by that?!"

"You knew about Appa, don't you?"

The change of expression in Min Ho's face was evident but he tried hard to remain calm, "You must be sick and not thinking straight... For you to say things like that.. I told you I do not know... I found out when you told me about it."

"Sick? Not thinking straight? Yes... I was... For you... That's why I did what I did... Anyways, you are a bad liar Oppa~"

Min Ho was furious upon hearing what she had to say about him, that he simply took off and left but unknown to them, someone was there listening on to the tiff that they had. Shin Hye was surprised to see the person standing in front of her. 

"What are you doing here? Ye eun ah?"

"Unnie~ How have you been?"

"I'm good... How are you? It's been a long time since we've seen each other... But what brings you here?" as Shin Hye greeted her ex-cellmate whom she was very close to when she first entered. She was the nicest person she managed to befriend in the early days of her time in prison. 

"I am here to apologise to you Unnie~"

"Huh? What for?"

"After I saw the movie..." as she paused for a moment, "I could not stop thinking about what happened and what I did... It was too similar..."

"What are you saying Ye Eun? What did you do? I do not understand...."

"I was promised that I would be let off with a probation and be sent to a vocational training school if I were to hinder your parole~"

Without much thought, Shin Hye planted a slap across her face with immediate remorse, it did not help that she had bottled the unexpressed anger just before Ye Eun dropped by, "Do you know even know what you are saying?!"

"I do... That's why I am here to apologise..."

"Apologise?!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter