Summer of 2010 - Part Six

[HIATUS] Hits & Misses

Part Six

        

          The front of 1cm is crammed full with students from surrounding universities. Kim Sung Gyu admits lunch time is not the most convenient time if you wish to make decent conversation. He’s seated by the window, close enough to the door for Soo Jung to quickly see him but not close enough to be in the same proximity to the customers that’s waiting in line to order.

 

         

          It’s odd how he’s running topics through his head even though he’s sure they’d eventually lose track of the topics that he’d prepared in his mind. Another thing that is odd is the nervousness he’s currently feeling. He feels stupid considering this is Lee Soo Jung, they’ve been friends ever since he can remember and he’s never nervous around her.

         

          He thinks it’s because they haven’t actually gone out in a long time with just the two of them. Most of the outings that they’ve been to are with mutual friends and they never really had the chance to catch up with each other’s daily lives.

         

          He’s been wanting her to share her experiences and have her seek his advice for things that are new to her, albeit it’s out of character for Soo Jung to do that. She usually likes to do things on her own but that doesn’t mean he won’t expect her to confide in him and look for guidance.

         

          There’s a knock on the glass window next to him, standing there making a weird face is his childhood friend; he smiles and waves her to come inside. It seems like he’s meeting a new person and not really at the same time. Sung Gyu reprimands himself. Soo Jung is Soo Jung, his best friend, the girl who walks barefoot all the time not until he decided to gift her with a pair of fluffy slippers.

         

          “I was hoping you’d order for me, I’m starving!” she declares as she sits at the lounge chair in front of Sung Gyu.

         

          “You’re 6 minutes late...”

         

          “I am not... I don’t think so anyway, you’ve set your watch in advance again.”

         

          “Regardless, according to MY watch you’re late... So you order for us.”

 

          “I hate this rule really, it’s lame...”

 

          “It is for you since you’re always late...”

 

          “Fine, but you’re paying. I’m kinda short on cash and besides you owe me...”

 

          Kim Sung Gyu shakes her head, typical of Soo Jung to not forget about promises. He’s planning to pay for their meal anyways though he wants her to ask for it.

 

          She takes his bag from him, leaning close in the process. He was a bit surprised at how he feels suddenly light headed at the close proximity. He needs to get a grip on himself. They’ve done this a million times, what’s so different now?

         

          “Hey, why do you have my music sheets? I was looking for them.” She looks up at him, accusing. “Did you know that we have a report on this particular music?”

 

          He shakes his head, denying the obvious. They have the same music professor and he’s been T.A-ing for said professor when he heard about the assignment.

 

          She straightens up, slumps on her seat crossing her arms on her chest, one hand clutching the music sheets. It’s a sure sign that she doesn’t believe him.

         

          “Food first, excuses later.” He hands her his wallet and kicks her in jest to stand in line.

 

~0~

          Lee Soo Jung pouts all the way to the counter. She’s a bit miffed at the fact that he knows about her report and did not even inform her. She’s been having a hard time filling up that sheet music when she lost it only to find out it was with him.

         

          “Are you ready to take your order? Coz there’s still a lot of people behind you...” the statement is sarcastic but was said very sweetly that Soo Jung didn’t feel right to be offended. The girl on the counter looks more like a porcelain doll than a person, smiling so cutely she might sprout rainbows.

 

          “Oh sorry, I’m getting two Set Cs please and have both drinks large on take away cups.” She opens Sung Gyu’s wallet and froze at the sight of a photo of Sung Gyu and her during her high school graduation. It wasn’t the best picture; she’s making a face at the camera while Sung Gyu stands behind him doing a peace sign directly above her head. She hated that photo and has asked him to burn it. The reasons to do him bodily harm is increasing.

 

          “Payment please...”

 

          “Oh sorry, here.” She takes out a couple of bills.

 

          “Please wait for your number to be called to pick up your order. Thank you and enjoy your meal!”

 

          She walks with determination towards their table; Sung Gyu is busy talking on his phone. There’s a difference in his demeanour from earlier, he looks absolutely ecstatic. For someone who’s going to die a slow painful death, he seems to be happy.

 

          “...yes! Sure, I’ll have the band there Monday next. Thank you for this opportunity. You wouldn’t regret it.” He hangs up and immediately started texting.

 

          “Is something up?”

 

          He shakes his head motioning for her to sit down. “What did you order?” he says, not looking up from his mobile phone.

 

          “Set C, I thought you might like something heavy...”

 

          “About that, I have to go to band practice early... Something came up...”

 

          “We could have it to go, I’ll just—“

 

          “No, it’s fine. Stay seated.”

 

          “Are you sure?”

         

          “Of course, I paid for the meal and we have catching up to do...”

         

          She smiles; it’s good to know that he still wants her company regardless of what it was he was so pleased about. She’s not pleased though that he’s keeping something from her.