Final

The Green Monster

Sungyeol could be described in two words, insecure and jealous. He wasn't the smartest but he just couldn't be the social butterfly that his best friend was and snag himself a cutie for a boyfriend. He was bi-ual, all thanks to his best friend who had dragged him on parties and changed his perspective about genders.

 

"Hi hyung!" Myungsoo greeted him as hr sat across him inside their college library.

 

"Hey Myung." Sungyeol smiled at the best friend.

 

"Guess what." Myungsoo slwas grinning at him.

 

"Please not that." Sungyeol mocked displeasure.

 

"Yes and you are coming with us." Myungsoo grinned at him and Sungyeol just sighed at that.

 

"It's exam week Myungsoo!" Sungyeol uttered and Myungsoo sighed.

 

"The party is next week hyung and on the last day of exam week." Myungsoo exclaimed and Sungyeol sighed.

 

"Ace that English test and I'll come willingly." Sungyeol bargained and Myungsoo grinned.

 

"You just got yourself a deal." Myungsoo was absolutely delighted because his boyfriend is an English Minor, majoring in Music.

 

Sungyeol found himself sighing loudly as Myungsoo fixed the collar of his shirt and then moving to style his hair with some gel. They have been roommates since the start of college and now that they are graduating, they were still dorm mates and best friends.

 

"Myungsoo please don't make me look like you." Sungyeol uttered and Myungsoo just grinned at him.

 

"Come on hyung, we are going to Alpha Kappa party, you should stand out if you want to check things off on your bucket list." Myungsoo argued.

 

"Okay Myung I get it." Sungyeol resigned to his fate.

 

Sungyeol found parties as chores because it's all about the bass, both literally and figuratively. The sounds were just too loud to speak and the girls are, well to be honest, shaking their bass.

 

Sungyeol just followed Myungsoo as the boy made his way through the crowd to find the most appetizing meat on the platter: Myungsoo's perfectly gorgeous boyfriend Sunggyu.

 

"Baby!" Myungsoo chirped as he plopped down on Sunggyu's lap and the older laughed before kissing the boyfriend sloppily yet sweetly.

 

Sungyeol smiled bitterly, because yes he was jealous of his best friend. He wasn't jealous of Myungsoo getting Sunggyu, he honestly liked his best friend and the tiny eyed Alpha Kappa together, but rather, he was jealous of the fact that his best friend has a boyfriend while he freaking doesn't and he's a graduating senior.

 

But that changed though when Sungyeol was pushed by a passing hoard of girls to meet a certain frat man and he ended up in the arms of his knight in shining armor.

 

It was funny though, Sungyeol felt like it was a movie scene in slow motion where they looked at each other and each blink was painfully slowl and the lights were perfectly illuminating them.

 

"Are you okay?" He heard the man speak and Sungyeol can't help but nod absent mindedly as the man laughed melodiously.

 

"Dongwoo!" He heard Sunggyu called his savior and Dongwoo looked at Sunggyu and smiled.

 

"Come on." Dongwoo uttered, pulling Sungyeol with him. "Hey Sunggyu hyung, and Myung nice seat." Dongwoo greeted.

 

"Hey hyung, oh you already met Sungyeol hyung huh?" Myungsoo uttered with a grin.

 

"Oh, hi Sungyeol, I'm Dongwoo." Dongwoo introduced himself.

 

"Thank you for uhm, saving me Dongwoo-ssi" Sungyeol bowed at him.

 

"Don't be so formal, we are all friends here." Dongwoo uttered and winked at him.

 

Sungyeol blushed at that and busied himself by taking something from the table to drink. Dongwoo saw him took the shot glass and took that away from the younger and drank it before he could drink it.

 

"It's a potent shot, you will be knocked out in seconds." Dongwoo said as Sungyeol pouted. "Don't pout princess, drink this instead." Dongwoo laughed as he gave him a cocktail.

 

Sungyeol thanked him and drank the cocktail, looking at anywhere but at the laughing, flamboyant boy.

 

"Dongwoo's really a ball of laughter isn't he?" Myungsoo poked at Sungyeol who death-glared at him. "He just broke up with his boyfriend, and he's practically single." Myungsoo added and Sungyeol sighed.

 

"I am not a rebound Myung." Sungyeol uttered and took another sip of his cocktail.

 

But when Dongwoo pulled him out of his chair and they danced to the blasting  bass, he felt himself let loose and just let the carnal desire through him flow, eventually ending up in a bed almost and the head splitting headache of the century.

 

He gathered the sheets around his seemingly body as Dongwoo stepped out of the shower, toweling his hair dry with a grin on his face and only a white towel to cover parts Sungyeol wasn't ready to see just yet.

 

"Did we?" Sungyeol asked, the words seemingly hard to say.

 

"I am not the type of person who would take advantage of drunken people. No we didn't but you pretty much puke a lot to make you pass out." Dongwoo explained and Sungyeol blushed at that and burried his face under the covers.

 

"I'm sorry!" He squeaked under the covers but Dongwoo just laughed hard about it.

 

"No serious harm done but if you really want to apologize, brunch would do." Dongwoo grinned and Sungyeol peaked from the covers.

 

"Brunch?" He asked and Dongwoo nodded.

 

"Take a shower; I got your clothes washed already." Dongwoo uttered then chuckled as he walked towards the dresser and pulled out some new briefs. "They are new." He said then pulled clothes from his cabinet and left the room.

 

Sungyeol sighed and had a little tantrum to let out his seemingly stupid actions and assumptions before taking that bath and leaving the room for brunch.

 

They ate take out and Dongwoo offered to take him back to his dorm which Sungyeol probably should decline but Dongwoo insisted anyway so he just let the older do it.

 

Myungsoo and Sungyeol graduated from college and the latter had expected Sunggyu to be there with a bouquet of flowers for the best friend. But he didn't expect Dongwoo grinning next to Myungsoo's boyfriend with a bouquet of flowers.

 

"Dongwoo hyung?" Sungyeol asked and the older grinned wider as he handed the bouquet.

 

"Congratulations Sungyeol." Dongwoo uttered and then leaned in to plant a kiss on Sungyeol's cheek.

 

Sungyeol was lost for words as he processed what just happened before he grinned back at the older. "We have a small party at my house but it's a bit of a drive." Sungyeol invited and Dongwoo smiled then thanked him.

 

Sungyeol's family was small with his parents and his younger brother Daeyeol. Dongwoo eased his way through them and by the end of dinner, the two was officially dating.

 

Their relationship wasn't picture perfect but they made it work somehow. Sungyeol moved out of the dorms and into Dongwoo's apartment. They both had their jobs, Dongwoo being a choreographer and Sungyeol with his desk job for a popular magazine. They had some rocky roads, mainly because Sungyeol became insecure and he was often jealous of the girls that surrounded his seemingly steamy hot boyfriend who dances jazz like it was a .

 

"They mean nothing to me Yeol, like I would like them back. I am gay Yeol and I love you!" Dongwoo banged on the bedroom door until Sungyeol opened it with tear stained face and wrapping the older into a tight embrace.

 

"Promise hyung?" Sungyeol asked and Dongwoo wrapped his arms around his overly insecure, sentimental and jealous boyfriend and kissed his cheek.

 

"I promise Yeol." He replied and effectively pacified the younger.

 

Dongwoo got used to the jealousy of the younger; it was charming despite being frustrating but totally endearing, though he had never seen Sungyeol super jealous of someone until they met his ex-boyfriend one day.

 

 

It was their Saturdate, and they were holding hands when Dongwoo grinned and pulled Sungyeol to meet someone.

 

"Hey Hoya, fancy meeting you here again, I thought you had it big in Seoul." Dongwoo chirped and the Hoya guy beemed a smile towards them.

 

"Visiting relatives. Hey you are looking good." Hoya greeted back.

 

"Thanks, been working out. How's work?" Dongwol asked and the two started to talk like Sungyeol doesn't exist.

 

Sungyeol cleared his throat and that caught the attention of the two. "Oh, you got company." Hoya remarked and Dongwoo pulled the boyfriend next to him and kissed his cheek.

 

"Yeah this is Sungyeol, he's my boyfriend." Dongwoo introduced and Hoya's eyebrow quirked. "This is Hoya, my ex." Dongwoo said and Hoya extended a hand.

 

Sungyeol was debating inside if he should shake it but he would look disrespectful if he didn't, he could be civil.

 

"You better keep this dino happy." Hoya uttered and sounded like a threat to Sungyeol.

 

"He does." Dongwoo chirped and Sungyeol felt a little blush crept on his cheeks.

 

But Sungyeol has always been jealous and insecure, and seeing Dongwoo's ex-boyfriend who looked like a movie star, he can't help but sulk and doubt himself if he was really fitting for Dongwoo or if Dongwoo really liked him. He wasn't that handsome and he act childish at times, he's clingy and insecure and jealous all the time that perhaps Dongwoo doesn't like him like he used to do.

 

The seed of doubt was powerful because Sungyeol was often sulking and losing focus on everything he does. "Lee Sungyeol get your together!" He heard Key yell at him.

 

"I'm sorry." He bowed at his editor.

 

"I don't freaking care about your problems but for 's sake submit something decent before the deadline." Key shouted irritatingly making Sungyeol sulk even more. "Okay fine, what is it?" Key asked and Sungyeol looked at him confusely. "Your problem? Come on, I may not be the typical good boss but I care too so what is the problem?" Key asked and Sungyeol finally told him his thoughts.

 

"But like you said he's his ex, so what's the problem?" Key replied after the story.

 

"Hoya is perfect and handsome and Dongwoo might leave me for him." Sungyeol expressed it like it was a life or death situation.

 

"The fact that they broke up meant something didn't work out between them. Anyway, if you want to keep your man then put up a good fight." Key said and Sungyeol perked up making Key smirk. "Show Hoya that Dongwoo is yours and yours alone." Key smirked wider and the dismissed the writer.

 

Sungyeol thought about it while he was nursing a cup of coffee when Myungsoo joined him. "Hey hyung, are you up for dinner?" The younger invited.

 

"What's the ocassion?" Sungyeol asked.

 

"Nothing. Sunggyu hyung just had a day off after a song of his became a smash hit. His boss gave him 2 days leave." Myungsoo smiled then took a sip of his coffee.

 

"Oh wow, Sunggyu hyung has been composing wicked songs, he is awesome!" Sungyeol remarked.

 

"Yeah but he is also a good cook." Myungsoo uttered.

 

"He cooks?" Sungyeol asked and Myungsoo nodded.

 

"He doesn't do it often but when he does, he goes all out. He said that it's one of his ways to thank me for being always by his side." Myungsoo said and Sungyeol had a light bulb moment.

 

"Thanks Myung. I gotta go." Sungyell said and dashed towards the door.

 

"Go where?" Myungsoo asked.

 

"Cook for Dongwoo hyung." Sungyeol grinned at his best friend.

 

"But you can't cook hyung!" Myungsoo looked worried about this plan.

 

"I can." Sungyeol shouted back as he grabbed his bag a d then off to the supermarket.

 

Once in the kitchen, he took out his tablet and searched for the recipes before he started with the preparation. But Myungsoo was absolutely correct when it comes to Sungyeol and cooking; it won't make sense.

 

So when he started peeling potatoes, he can't figure out how to use the peeler until a few minutes of trying. He tried cutting up vegetables but what the heck is a julienne, isn't Julianne Moore an actress? He heated up the pan and put the oil, but the heat was too high that the oil began to smoke then it burst into flame. He panicked and threw the fan in the sink with the water on.

 

It was a disaster and he was tearing up when the front door opened and Dongwoo entered. Sungyeol was relieved to see him but frowned when he saw Hoya walking a few feet from his boyfriend. He pouted and sulked when Dongwoo reached him and planted a kiss on his lips; he's cheating out in the open.

 

"Hey sweetie, why are you home so early? Not feeling well?" Dobgwoo cooed and Sungyeol nodded, who would feel well when the ex boyfriend was there?

 

Dongwoo looked at the kitchen and then back to Sungyeol. "You should have called me if you were hungry. Let me cook for you." Dongwoo smiled and immediately took the apron and started prepping the food.

 

Sungyeol loved watching Dongwoo cook but not today because Hoya volunteered to help and he was a pro in the kitchen. Subgyeol sulked even more, and he felt like crying as the sight before him was breaking his heart; he was supposed to cook for Dongwoo and not the other way around. He was supposed to prove that he deserved to be his boyfriend and not ship him with his ex. This is seriously frustrating him.

 

And so Sungyeol found himself wrapped up in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate while Myungsoo played him some songs on his guitar.

 

"It was supposed to be our Saturdate!" Sungyeol sobbed as Myungsoo gave him a small smile.

 

"Why did he postpone it?" Myungsoo asked and Sungyeol sobbed a little louder.

 

"He and Hoya were working on a dance workshop." Sungyeol mumbled.

 

"Oh why don't you join them?" Myungsoo suggested and Sungyeol glared at him.

 

"I can't dance." Sungyeol deadpanned and Myungsoo laughed at him.

 

"I can't sing but I join Sunggyu hyung once in a while. He said it takes out stress, knowing that I am making an effort to join him." Myungsoo replied and that gave Sungyeol some idea.

 

Wearing track pants, loose shirt and sneakers; he appeared before Dongwoo who was happy to see him.

 

"Yeol!" Dongwoo chirped. "What are you doing here." Dongwoo asked.

 

"I am doing an article about couples who dances, so I thought I want to do a bit of a research to understand what dancing are." Sungyeol lied a bit, at least on writing the article but the research, oh hell yes.

 

Dongwoo led him inside where a bunch of teens were warming up already. "Listen up everyone, this is my boyfriend Sungyeol and he'll be observing us for a while. Be nice to him." Dongwoo chirped.

 

"I thought your boyfriend is Hoya oppa?" One girl asked and that was a blow to his stomach.

 

"He's my ex-boyfriend Hyoyeon." Dongwoo explained.

 

"Can he dance like Hoya hyung?" Another boy asked.

 

"He's a writer Hyunsik not a dancer." Dongwoo uttered and Sungyeol was abdolutely hurt with it.

 

Sungyeol sat on a bench at the back and observed them. Dongwoo was really an easy person and very likeable. He treated the kids warmly and thaught them the choreography patiently. When they locked eyes, Dongwoo would give him a wink. It was perfect until Hoya appeared and every teen inside was cheering wildly.

 

He observed Hoya dance and he felt his self esteem drop to zero as he couldn't compete with such a guy who shares so much passion for dance like Dongwoo has.

 

"I wanna see him dance as well." A girl pointed at Sungyeol and the latter paled.

 

"I don't dance." Sungyeol choked his reply but Dongwoo had already placed a track and pulled him towards the dance floor.

 

Sungyeol started dancing awkwardly and the kids started laughing. He felt tearful and stormed out of the studio with Dongwoo chasing after him.

 

It took a few packs of ramen and DVD marathon before Sungyeol calmed down and slept on Dongwoo's shoulder while seated on their couch.

 

Sungyeol was getting frustrated about everything because his boyfriend is spending more time with his ex-boyfriend than his current boyfriend. He was now venting it out on Myungsoo and Sunggyu who had invited him for some afternoon coffee.

 

"The way I see it is that you are being jealous but you are not telling Dongwoo anything." Sunggyu pointed out. "Dongwoo is a likeable and friendly person but he is a bit of a nuthead when it comes to reading other people's feelings. But I am a hundred percent sure that he loves you more than his ex." Sunggyu added.

 

"How sure are you hyung?" Sungyeol asked.

 

"You just have to open your eyes to the little things he does for you." Sunggyu answered. "And if you are in doubt, don't hesitate to talk to him, he would listen to you and explain everything that you needed to know because he is a person like that." Sunggyu finished and Sungyeol had words to ponder.

 

Sungyeol was on his desk tapping on his keyboard when Sunggyu's words rang inside his brain. He had chills down his spine, he needed to settle things one and for all. He ran out of the office in a haste after sending Key his article and then ran all the way to Dongwoo's dance studio. He could've taken the bus but he was too excited to actually think about public transportation.

 

He caught his breath for a while before he took steps towards the studio only to stop in his tracks as he listened to the conversation.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to tell Sungyeol?" He heard Hoya's voice.

 

"Nah, he won't able to take the news." He heard Dongwoo reply.

 

"He seemed like a nice guy, poor thing once he found out." Hoya uttered and that was the last draw.

 

He couldn't take this, he ran out of the studio with heavy steps and his feet took him back to their apartment. He grabbed a suitcase and started picking his clothes and dumping them inside the suitcase as tears fell from his eyes. He just couldn't believe that Dongwoo would do just that to him, and with his ex-boyfriend no less.

 

Dongwoo came in shortly after hearing heavy steps outside the studio. He held Sungyeol to keep the boy in place and talk some sense to him. But Sungyeol was a crying mess as he pushed Dongwoo away, even grabbing a pillow and throwing it at the soon tl be ex-boyfriend, if not already one.

 

"Sungyeol, listen to me!" Dongwoo shouted to get his voice across the younger.

 

"No, you listen!" Sungyeol shouted back. "I ing gave you everything but this is all you would give back? You freaking cheat on me and with your ex-boyfriend? How ing low Dongwoo." Sungyeol felt more tears as he let out all his pent up anger inside him. "I may act childish and nag at you but I am just jealous and insecure because I am not perfect like your ex-boyfriend! But I love you. I love you so much that it hurts! If you want to break up then fine let's break up!" Sungyeol screamed his last words then fell to his knees. He cried even more but felt warm arms around him and his head falling on the chest of the dancer boyfriend.

 

"You are most definitely right about my ex-boyfriend." Dongwoo spoke and then pulled him on his knees. "He is perfect." Dongwoo added and that shatteres Sungyeol's already broken heart.

 

Dongwoo led him out of the apartment and down to the street in from of their building. Dongwoo held his tight as they walked towards the middle of the street and held both his hands.

 

"I know you like the back of my hand, that you will constantly be jealous of every single person that will try be close to me, but time and time again, I will prove to you that I will love you only." Dongwoo paused and look at Sungyeol straight in the eye.

 

"You mean the world to me and everyone even my ex-boyfriend doesn't compare to how much you mean to me." Dongwoo said and then held Sungyeol's hand tighter.

 

"I know how you won't stop being jealous until I prove it to you." Dongwoo grinned and soon they heard a song being played and Dongwoo dancing in front of him, that same song that they danced to on the night they met. Sungyeol stopped crying and soon was chuckling as Dongwoo immitated his awkward dance. The music changed and now Dongwoo was dancing some Jazz and to the song that Sungyeol had always been singing in the bathroom since it was released. Hoya then steped in and handed Dongwoo a silver ring.

 

"Because you are my everything and your jealousy and insecurities made me love you more. So Sungyeol, I love you so please, share forever with me?" Dongwoo asked and Sungyeol felt fresh tears seep out of him as he nodded and pulled the boyfriend for a sweet kiss.

 

"I hate you!" Sungyeol muttered but pulled him into another kiss. "But I love you more." He uttered and kissed him again.

 

"And I love you too." Dongwoo grinned and soon everyone that came to watch the scene applauded and cheered for them.

 

Sungyeol had his fingers laced when his pangs of jealousy kicked in again. "Hey hyung, you told me your ex-boyfriend was perfect!" He uttered and Dongwoo laughed at him.

 

"You broke up with me right? That made you my ex-boyfriend." Dongwoo then laughed as Sungyeol punched him lightly.

 

"You.. aish I love you." Sungyeol uttered and laughed along, perhaps there was no reason to be jealous at all.

 

...

A/N: so uhm, well I hope I wrote it well. This was a really fun story to write so I hope you enjoyed reading it too.