TWENTY-FIFTH

Rules & Regulations

"Because I want you to always remember that you're my favourite, too."

You just stare, and stare, and stare. Then you lift your hand and Baekhyun shuts his eyes, just in time for your palm to strike his cheek. He swallows. He deserved that. He deserved more than that.

But you're already walking away, swiping at your tears. Baekhyun looks up to the ceiling, letting out a deep breath. Why is everything so complicated? He dumps his pencil into his bag and leaves the workshop, trying to catch one last glimpse of you. But you're already gone and he can only wish that you'll be strong, especially during this period where you will be having exams in two weeks.

His phone buzzes in his hand. He really doesn't want to read the text, only because he knows who it's from. But he knows that if he doesn't read it, she's going to do what she promised and Baekhyun just couldn't do that to you.

Are you with her????
STY || 1:13PM

Meet me at the basketball court
STY || 1:21PM

He sighs and makes his way to the rendezvous point. When did he become such a coward? When he did he start to obey commands from another person? He can only blame you, for making him fall in love with you, for making him sacrifice things for you.

Upon reaching the basketball court, he sees her standing there with her arms across her chest. Baekhyun has never felt this much hatred for someone and he thinks maybe she might be the spawn of the devil.

"Taeyee," he mutters when he has gotten close enough.

She turns, glaring at Baekhyun. He tries hard not to roll his eyes. "You met her again, didn't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he looks away, sighing.

"You know what will happen if I tell the subject head, right?"

"You know," Baekhyun drops his bag on the bench table, striding slowly towards her like a predator closing in on its prey. She backs up a little when she realises how intimidating he is. "You should really do something more with your time. Threatening me, sending anonymous texts to a girl younger than you... What are you, a ert?"

"Byun Baekhyun!" Taeyee screeches.

He stops where he is and lets out a dry chuckle. She's a ert and yet he is indulging her in her crazy schemes. He is just as stupid.

"What do you want?" he finally grounds out, glaring down at her.

"I've been nice all this while," she spits, stomping towards him. She points at his chest. "But you have to keep breaking my trust. All for that little girl." He rolls his eyes and she snarls. "If you ever talk to her again, I'm going to make sure the two of you go down together."

"Is that all," Baekhyun wonders boredly even though all he wants to do it run a car over her body. "Can I get the away from you now?" Without a reply, he grabs his bag and mutters, rather sarcastically, "Have a good day, S.T.Y."

 

 

Baekhyun lets out a huge sigh, taking a swig of his beer. He is only this close to resorting to nicotine, but he figured he could do without the cigarettes to still feel like .

"You been sighing non-stop the past hour, Baek," Junmyeon comments, looking quite worried. "Is something up?"

He sighs again. "How long more until we graduate, hyung?"

"About three months." Junmyeon frowns, "Why?"

"That means I have to stay away from her for three months," Baekhyun mutters to himself, gulping down his beer. He stares straight into the older male's eyes. "I can't do it, hyung."

"Do what?" Junmyeon removes the bottle from his hand and sets it on the table. "What's going on, Baekhyun?"

The younger male leans back in his seat, shutting his eyes. "I broke up with her."

"What?!" Junmyeon yells. "When? Why?!"

He shakes his head tiredly. "I'm not good for her. I can't even protect her."

"Bull, Baek!" Baekhyun is taken aback by how aggressive his friend is, especially when this isn't even about him. "You love her and that's enough!"

Baekhyun calls for the waitress, ordering another bottle of beer. When she leaves, he leans forward on the table and looks at Junmyeon. "You don't have a girlfriend, what do you know?" The older male is about to reply, but Baekhyun continues. "I love her. So, so much. But when someone threatens her future and mine, this is the only option I can turn to."

"Someone's threatening you?" Junmyeon's eyebrows form a knit. The waitress returns with a beer and opens the bottle for Baekhyun. He immediately gulps it down. "Tell me what happened, Baek," Junmyeon encourages.

"I broke her heart because I'm a douchebag."

"Baekhyun," Junmyeon sighs in exasperation, just wishing his friend would be serious for once.

The guy finally gives in. "You remember Taeyee?"

Junmyeon nods, "The younger sister of your ex?"

"Yeah, kind of. They're only half related... Anyway, I only met her once, and remember I told you she was flirting with me the entire time?" Baekhyun lets out a dry chuckle when his friend nods again. "It's been two years since I broke up with her sister but Taeyee managed to get a spot in this uni and somehow she found out about my relationship... And so she threatened me, saying she'd tell everyone about the inappropriate relationship I'm having with a student. I really didn't want to listen to her, but when she threatened the safety of my girlfriend's education and future... I promised I'd break up with her."

"So you really did it?"

"Was it stupid?"

", yes?!" Junmyeon smacks the back of his friend's head, extremely fired up by how stupid he is. "You love her, Baekhyun!" He groans loudly, "How did you break up with her?"

"Well, actually," he mumbles, pressing on the button of his phone just to view his wallpaper. God, he misses you. "I made her break up with me because I'm a ."

"And she really did?" Junmyeon is in disbelief. He knows how much the both of you love each other, you wouldn't break up with Baekhyun just like that, would you?

"I think she was so shocked that she really did," Baekhyun murmurs, running a hand through his hair. "She slapped me today."

"Serves you right, you wuss," Junmyeon mutters. After a while, he confirms, "So she doesn't know why you broke up with her?"

Baekhyun shakes his head and Junmyeon shuts his eyes, trying to stop himself from exploding. He's so frustrated because his friend is an idiot.

"I still love her," Baekhyun whispers. "I want to touch her like she's mine again."

"Then do it," Junmyeon prompts, rather exasperatedly.

"Taeyee won't let me," Baekhyun looks at him, looking so small and so vulnerable. Junmyeon feels sad for him. "She'll burn us alive if she finds out that I've met her again."

"And if she doesn't find out?" Baekhyun shrugs, he never really thought about that. Junmyeon finally has had enough of this. "Come on."

He pulls on his friend's arm, dragging him out of the pub hurriedly. Baekhyun is already quite tipsy and everything is swirling around him. He thinks the cab they have gotten into smells like cinnamon. The moment the vehicle starts moving, however, Baekhyun falls asleep. Junmyeon has to pull him out of the car, slapping his cheek a little to wake him up when they have reached their destination.

"Junmyeon oppa?" you mumble, frowning as he lugs an almost unconscious Baekhyun to you. He had called you while on the way here, so you came out to greet him. "What are you..."

"Baekhyun, wake up," Junmyeon says, slapping his friend's cheek. Baekhyun finally opens his eyes. "Rectify this problem and do all the explaining," he hisses into his ear before smiling at you. "He forgot his keys, so I'm just gonna deposit him here—"

"But we—"

"The metre's still running," Junmyeon points to the cab apologetically, transferring Baekhyun to you. "Sorry and thank you, you're a babe."

You groan, holding Baekhyun up while you watch his friend jog towards the taxi. He waves at you and then he's off. You look at Baekhyun, whose eyes are half-opened. You sigh and walk him up the stairs carefully, getting him to your room. You sit him on your bed as you stand up to take a good look at him. Even in the dark, he looks so tired with his dark eye circles and hollowed cheeks. What happened to him?

You get him a set of clothes he left here while you were still together, and then sit behind him so he can lay his back on you. You circle your arms around his body, ing his shirt. He mumbles something and you freeze for a moment. When you realise that he's just drunk-talking, you continue undressing him.

"Baby..." Baekhyun murmurs, his warm hand covering your cold ones. "Kitten."

"You're drunk, Baekhyun," you slip your hand away from his, swallowing that lump in your throat.

"Give me... give me five minutes," he holds up five fingers, struggling to move away from you. Even with his fuzzy mind, he knows he has to explain, because even though he acts like he is okay on the outside, everything is actually eating him up slowly from the inside. "Five minutes, love."

You nod and indulge him, thinking he'd just talk about insensible things, nothing serious, since he is drunk after all. The both of you sit facing each other, eyes on the other.

"You broke up with me."

You're appalled. "You broke up with me, you !"

"No," he says slowly, frowning. "I said I wanted you to break up with me. And you said okay." He imitates you in a way that sounds so breathless and squeaky.

"I didn't say it like that," you mutter, kicking his thigh with your foot.

He chuckles and pulls on your ankle, sliding you towards him. "I didn't want to break up with you," he murmurs, tipping your head upwards gently by the chin so that you're looking at him. "I never wanted that. Not in a million years, not for a million dollars. I still love you. So much more than I did the first time."

Your nose prickles and you sniff. Baekhyun knows you're going to cry, so he caresses your thigh, trying to soothe you. You have only been together for five months, but he has seen you cry more than once. It breaks his heart even more each time; the more he loves you, the more it hurts.

"I deserved that slap," he admits, regarding the hit you had given him in the afternoon. "And I don't deserve you. But just... let me explain." 

You nod hastily, relieved that you're able to hear it from Baekhyun. He starts, "I thought I was able to handle it on my own... when Taeyee — or S.T.Y. — told me she knew about us. So I kept it from you," he sighs, shaking his head. "But then she threatened to expose our relationship if I didn't break up with you and got together with her. I didn't want to jeopardise your future, so I promised I'd do it. Weeks passed and yet I couldn't end it with you." 

He tucks your hair behind your ear, his eyes shining with adoration and love. "Every time I see you, I feel like I'm strong enough to fight against her. But she makes it a point to remind me everyday, that if I don't do as I said I would, you're going to lose your degree in architecture. I don't want you to lose anything this important." Baekhyun swipes the pads of his thumbs under your eyes, clearing the teardrops that have fallen. "I figured me losing you wouldn't be as bad as you losing your future."

"And so you broke up with me?" you sniff.

"Well, you broke up with— Ow!" he hisses when you smack his arm really hard. Then he gasps when you tackle him in a hug, the both of you falling back onto the bed.

"I hate you," you mutter into his ear.

"Really? But I love you," he chuckles sadly, wrapping his arms around your body. He flips you around so that he is on top of you instead.

Baekhyun sits back on his heels and stares down at you, eyes taking in your entire countenance. You reach up to caress his chest, pushing his shirt off his body until he is topless.

"So what now?" you murmur, glancing up at him.

"Three months," he says, leaning down to capture your lips in his. "Give me three months, I'll come back to you."

"Why three months?" you mumble against the kiss, fingers playing with his soft hair.

You might as well take what you have now since the future is so uncertain. Because as much as you want to deny it, the fact still stands that you still love him and his touches.

"Because then, when I graduate, it doesn't matter anymore. I won't be a student in the university and neither will I be a teacher." Then he rests his forehead on yours, your lips brushing when he speaks. "I really want to make this night last, baby... But I'm so... tired."

You laugh softly and push him off of you, making him grunt lazily. Baekhyun lets you undress him and when you're about to wear clothes for him, he pulls your body towards him. He is only in his boxers and nothing else, and you can feel his manhood beneath the thin fabric.

"Let's go to sleep one last night as a couple," he whispers, kissing the side of your eye. You don't answer, so Baekhyun takes it as consent.

He throws the shirt in your hand to the ground and flips the blanket over to cover the both of you. One of his arm is tight across your chest, his other hand is under your shirt, on your stomach. You snuggle closer to him, hooking your legs with his. He kisses the back of your head and leaves his lips and nose buried in your hair, trying to commit your scent to his memory though he thinks he will never forget his favourite scent in the world.

Close to dawn break, Baekhyun wakes up and notices how peaceful you look that it warms his heart. But the shadows under your eyes are worrying him. He extricates himself from the embrace and gets out of bed, sitting lightly on your table as he watches you sleep. He wishes things weren't so messed up. If he wasn't a teacher in the first place, things would be easier. But then again, if he wasn't a teacher, he wouldn't have met you.

He rubs his face tiredly. This whole thing is giving him a headache. Why can't people love openly? Everyone else makes love seem so easy and simple, but it's not. Especially not when there are rules about two people not being able to fall in love, especially not when someone is threatening another person's relationship just to attain her own happiness.

Baekhyun sits at the edge of the bed, resting his elbows on his knees, his fingers clasped. How will he stay away from you for three months? What if he forgets your smile, or how you sound like, or how your kisses feel? What can he do to save your future and yet to love you at the same time? He wants to be your superman, but he's not. He's only human and he can't do anything to salvage this relationship.

"Baekhyun?" you murmur, voice sandy and y.

That will be another thing he will have to give up for three months. He turns around and sees you squinting at him. He smiles softly.

"What are doing up so early?" you mutter, wriggling out of the blanket to move towards him. 

Baekhyun opens his arm and you find home in his embrace, settling nicely on his lap and nuzzling your face in his neck. He rubs your back and presses a kiss to your head, wondering if this will ever become a norm for him again. He knows you're too tired to remember that you're sad and angry at him, and that the both of you are basically in between the living and the dead. Because if he can't love you again, he might as well be dead. 

"Will you ever forgive me?" he whispers, looking down at you sadly. He wishes you wouldn't, so he can hate himself, too. Because then, at least the both of you will have something in common.

"Depends," you mumble, resting a hand on his chest. You close your eyes, getting ready to go back to sleep, only this time with Baekhyun as your pillow. "If I'm not married to you at the end of everything, I'll hate you forever."

 

 

"You need to help me think of something, hyung," Baekhyun begs his friend the next day.

You're like a drug Baekhyun can never get enough of. He thought he might be able to endure the three months but spending just one night with you again, he doesn't think he can do it. Even with the strongest mind power and the greatest drive any man can have, he cannot do it. He needs you back, but he also doesn't want anything to happen to you.

"I love her too much to let her go like that," he confesses.

"Okay..." Junmyeon drawls, setting down his cup of coffee. "Ever thought of quitting the teaching field?"

Baekhyun gapes at his friend. "I can just do that?" Junmyeon rolls his eyes at his stupidity but Baekhyun is unsure. "But even if I quit, if Taeyee tells the board, we're still going to get in trouble."

"What about killing Taeyee, then?"

"How?"

"Jesus, Baek, I was just joking!"

Baekhyun groans and stands, pacing the living room of his friend's apartment. After a lot of thinking, Junmyeon starts to frown. He taps his lip lightly, pensively.

"How do you know for sure Taeyee actually knows about your relationship?" he quirks an eyebrow. 

Baekhyun gives him a tired look. "She threatened me, hyung." 

"Yes, but does she have evidence?"

Baekhyun stops. Does she? Taeyee has only been threatening him verbally, how does he know for sure that she knows about their relationship? Even if she really does know about it, how will she back up her statement to the higher ups? Does she even have proof? 

"Or we could just go to her sister," Junmyeon shrugs, leaning back on the couch when he realises that he has finally gotten the gears in his friend's mind to start turning.

Baekhyun makes a face. Things might get awkward. 

 

 

"I know this is extrememly out of the blue—" 

"No, no, it's fine," Taeyeon smiles, opening the door wider to invite the two guys in. "I'm just cooking for dinner since my husband is knocking off in an hour's time." 

Baekhyun purses his lips. She has always liked the easy way of life, just staying home while her husband went out to work. At least now she has gotten what she wanted. But at the expense of Baekhyun.

"What did you come here for, anyway?" she wonders as she brings them drinks. 

"Your sister..." Baekhyun accepts the drink and mumbles a thanks. 

"Taeyee?" she frowns. He nods and she glances at Junmyeon. "What's going on with her?"

Baekhyun sighs and Junmyeon decides to relieve his friend's burden. "Do you know if she still likes Baekhyun?" 

Taeyeon screws up her lips. "I'm not too sure... She's always liked hitting on my boyfriends..."

"Well," Junmyeon clears his throat. "She's been threatening Baekhyun—"

"Threatening?!" Taeyeon exclaims, eyes wide. "With what?" 

Baekhyun lets out a deep breath. If he needs her help, he might as well tell her everything, right? 

"My girlfriend... Or ex-girlfriend, I should say," he begins. "Is a student of mine. And it's against the school rules for a teacher to be dating a student."

"Ah..." she nods, finally getting it. "And Taeyee is threatening you based on that?" He confirms her guess. She lets out a dry chuckle. "No wonder I felt like something wasn't right when she stopped visiting me." 

After a while of silence, Junmyeon speaks up on behalf of his friend, wanting to get it over and done with so they can leave this place. He's not going to lie but being with his friend's ex is a little awkward for him, he can't imagine how Baekhyun must feel right now. 

"So we're wondering if you could help us to, you know... talk to Taeyee?" he tries. 

"I can try," Taeyeon agrees. "But I don't think I'd be much of a help. We're not very close and..." She glances at Baekhyun, "She really likes you." 

"Yeah, well, threatening me and my girlfriend will not make me like her back," Baekhyun mutters bitterly.

Taeyeon laughs, "I'll talk to her. In the mean time though, think of something else too. I doubt just talking to her will work. Get her kicked out of uni if you must." The boys raise their eyebrows. How can she say that when it's her sister they're talking about? But then again, they're only half siblings. She sees their questionable expressions and explains, "She should learn to do better things than threatening people and stealing other people's boyfriends. I've had enough of her trying to flirt with mine, she didn't even stop when I got married." 

"Does she have a problem?" Baekhyun blurts. Seriously though, she can't be normal if she's doing all these, right? 

Taeyeon shakes her head, sighing. "I really don't know..." All of a sudden, she jumps in her seat, extremely surprised when she hears the bubbling of the soup. "Oh, the food!" 

"We'll make a move now, then," Baekhyun stands, which leads to Junmyeon standing too. "Thanks for helping me out, noona. It really means a lot." 

Taeyeon stands and smiles, "I can see that. You wouldn't have come to me if you didn't love her... I know how much you hate me."

"I don't—"

Baekhyun's stuttering is interrupted by her quiet laughter. "Don't need to lie to me. I know. And I'm sorry." 

He can only nod and look away in embarrassment and discomfort. Junmyeon senses the tension and decides that this meeting should come to an end before it drags on for too long. He takes a step in the direction of the door and the female begins to guide them out.

"I'll tell you the outcome when I've spoken to her," Taeyeon assures them as she opens the door. 

"Thanks again," Baekhyun murmurs, stepping out of the apartment. 

"I guess I owe you at least this," she says softly, regretfully. 

When the two guys have left apartment, waiting patiently for the lift to arrive to bring them down, Baekhyun lets out a deep breath.

"Well, that was awkward," he mumbles, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

Junmyeon sniggers. "You think?" His friend chuckles. "At least now she gets to make up for what she did to you." 

The lift arrives and the both of them get on. Baekhyun lets out a hollow laughter. "Even though I didn't love her, hyung, I don't think cheating on someone can ever be made up for." 

Junmyeon only hums because he knows he must be right. Just because he thinks that things could be this easy, it might not be that case in reality. Because what does he know about being cheated on when he has never experienced it before? And just like the love Baekhyun feels for you; how can he have any say in it when he has yet to find someone he loves, someone whom he would put first before his own happiness? 

He can only help, but even then, he can only aid his friend so much. The rest, it's all up to Baekhyun to get you back. 

 

 

 


Author's note:

Here's a chapter in Baekhyun's perspective!! (well kind of, I tried but it's a little difficult)

Also not sure if this is all confusing for you, but I hope you get it? I'll try to do a brief rundown. 
> STY = Shin To You (nickname), Shin Taeyee (birth name)
> STY is the half sister of Taeyeon, which is why she isn't KTY 
> Basically STY is psycho and wants Baekhyun lol (but then again who doesn't, i think I'm psycho too)

Sorry for those who likes Taeyeon, I don't mean to come off as a salty fan, but I really couldn't think of anyone else since they basically had some kind of...history together... BUT I hope you guys like this chapter though! I'll try to write up the next update asap so I can finish this. Also haven't proofread any of the chapters up until now, I probably won't do so until I end the story. So I'm sorry if you see any typos or mistakes! I might also edit and tweak the story a bit when I'm done with everything, just to make things flow better and to make the story not so crappy lol.

Till next time
xoxo