2011

Destined Encounters

First day of classes slowly came to an end. The last professor of the day took a look at his watch and smiled back up to everyone.

"Well i guess, first day of classes ends up to here. Goodbye class. Enjoy the rest of the day." He gathered his things and left the classroom before the rest of the students did the same. The students slowly spilled out of the classroom until 4 students were only left.

Minjung and Minrae checked their seats for anything they missed to pack and when they were set to go, they walked sideways where the edge of the lane/top of the stairs were.

 

"Excuse me." Minrae asked the boy who had his feet up the back of the chair infront of him. He had his head down and when he tilted his shades and eyed the two girls he smirked. He removed his feet and let Minrae pass. "Excuse me." Minjung said politely but this time, the boy stood up and blocked her way. He placed his palm on the edge of the chair and leaned on it, his feet crossed but standing up infront of her, a little too close.

"You're taking up my personal space." Minjung muttered to him, looking sideways, with an annoyed expression itched on her face. He smiled once again and flipped his cap the other way. He brought his face closer to her and gently caressed the line under her jaw, just below the ear. Minjung instantly turned her head towards him only to see him smiling back.

"You're pretty." He said. Minrae tapped on the boy's shoulder and said,"Excuse me. Can you-" "Jackson." The boy hovering above Minjung said. Another boy lifted his head up and looked behind where the commotion was happening. "Take the girl behind me outside." "Kei kei." 'Jackson', stood up from his chair with his bag and climbed his chair, instantly standing on the same level as the girls. Jackson took Minrae's hand and walked down the staircase and to the door. "See ya Tuan." Jackson bid. "Bye." The boy answered.

Minjung backed away and crossed her arms. "Tuan huh?" Minjung said, annoyed. "It's actually Mark, Mark Tuan." Mark smiled cockily, tilting his head to the right. Minjung rolled her eyes and turned around to pass the other way. Mark took hold of her bag making Minjung fall back a little. She turned and glared.

"What is your problem?" She asked, obviously angry. "Ooh. Fiesty. I like feisty." Mark grinned. "Well i don't like you." Minjung said. Mark laughed. "Oh darling, who says i like you? I just said that you're pretty and i like your feistiness. Don't jump to conclusions." He smiled cockily. 'Bastard.' Minjung thought.

She let out a sigh and removed his grip on her bag. Smiling sarcastically at Mark, she walked away although this time, he didn't pull her back. "Bye sweety." Mark teased. Minjung rolled her eyes and chose to ignore him.

 
 

"Minjung!" Minrae called from the left side bench outside school. Jackson looked up and saw a frustrated girl walking towards them. "You okay?" Minrae asked, holding Minjung at arms length, scanning her state. "I'm fine." Minjung let out a small smile.

"I suppose you're not like him, considering the fact that Minrae is not crying or in any bad state." Minjung turned to the boy standing past Minrae. He smiled back and gave a small salute. "Good you see me as a friend. Jackson, by the way." Jackson, stretched out his hand to Minjung and they shaked hands. "Minjung. If you'll excuse us, we'll head out first." Minjung bowed politely and left with Minrae.

 

"So what did you do in there?" Minrae asked, hooking arms with Minjung as they walked to the parking lot. "After you left, i tried to leave as well but he won't let me. His name is Mark Tuan." Minrae gasped releasing her hold on her. Minjung looked at her friend with confused eyes.

"M-mark Tuan? That's Mark Tuan?" Minrae asked. Minjung nodded and asked why. "He's like the smartest, popular, super hot guy of the university." "And how can you say all those when it's just the first day?" Minjung asked opening the car.

"I have ears you know. And apparently he's a double major. Business and Dance. Ohmy. Well did he say anything to you?" Minrae said, rather excitedly. "He said that i was pretty and feisty. So what? You know, he's a liar and a bully. It's only been the first day. Gahh." Minjung ruffled her hair in frustration.

 

 


 

Weeks passed by and the two girls never encountered Mark and Jackson again. Minjung smiled at the thought. 'I guess it was a one time thing.' She was enjoying her lunch with Minrae at the mall, waiting for a senior friend they met, when suddenly, her eyes got covered.

 

"Minkyung eonnie?" Minjung asked excitedly. She removed the hands that were covering her eyes and turned her head to her right, only to meet eyes with no other than, the devil himself. She backed her head away due to reflex and almost fell if it weren't for Mark who caught her in time. "Hey darling, miss me?" He asked, smiling widely down at her, his fringe hanging down. "T-tuan." Minjung muttered. "Yeah?" He asked, sitting her up.

 

"Y-yah, what the hell?" Minjung asked with  angry furrowed brows. Mark pouted. "I thought you'd be happy to see me." He pouted more. Minjung looked at Minrae who was covering due to shock and excitement. Minjung raised a brow at Jackson who was seating beside Minrae, eating his fries as he watched them two with amusement. "Hi." He waved his hands at her. Minjung nodded once.

"Mind getting my personal space back?" Minjung asked Mark, who raised his hands and backed away to his seat. Minjung sat properly and faced Minrae who was stil holding back her smile. Minjung turned her whole torso to face Mark who was leaning back on his chair with his arm draped on the back of the chair. Minjung placed both elbows on the table and on the back rest of her chair.

 

"What are you doing here?" Minjung asked annoyed. "Eating." Mark answered, looking at her as he sipped on his coke. "I mean, why are you here? Sitting on our table? When we barely know each other." She asked. "What's your name?" Mark asked. "Minjung, Lee Minjung." She answered. "You're Minjung, i'm Mark. You know that right?" He asked. Minjung nodded. "There. We know each other. That's Jackson, and Minrae. Kim Minrae." Mark smiled at Minrae. She nodded in agreement and bowed her head. "Hello." She said. Mark waved his hand at her then faced Minjung once again. "That should be enough, right?" Mark asked, chuckling slightly at Minjung's creased brows. He pinched her cheek and picked up his fries. He took one  piece and placed it close to Minjung's lips.

 

"Just eat." He said. Minjung backed away and shook her head. He frowned once more and ate his french fries.  Minjung closed her eyes and shook her head. Then suddenly, he cupped her cheeks and squished them. Then she felt his breath on her lips and a piece inside . Her eyes snapped open then she bit it and removed his hands. 

"Yah." Minjung said, angry and stern. She glared at him and slapped him. Minrae and Jackson gasped. Quickly standing up and going to either sides. "Minjung-ah.." Minrae whispered to Minjung. "Let's go. Before my day gets even more ruined." Minjung took one last glance at Mark who was facing sideways and then bowed at Jackson. Jackson bowed back and bowed at Minrae as well. Minjung took her bag but Mark stopped her. Mark stood up infront of Minjung and took her bag, before pouring everything on the floor. The 3 widened their eyes at what he did. Minjung looked up and glared at him

"Yah. What the hell is your problem?! What did i ever do to you? You childish erted jerk!" Minjung totally lost her cool. Good thing only a few people where at the mall. Briefly watching what the commotion was before minding their own business. Mark ignored her and avoided her eyes. Minjung quickly kneeled down and started picking up her things. When she was done stuffing them beck inside her bag, she took one last glance at Mark and left the place, dragging Minrae who waved goodbye to Jackson.

 

"Mark, that was rude." Jackson said, sitting infront of him. "She slapped me." Mark shrugged and sat down. He placed his ankles on the chair beside him and heard a clanking sound. He looked down and picked up a necklace. "Oh. It must be Minjung's." Jackson said. "Yeah." Mark whispered and looked at the locket. He opened it and saw a picture of a woman and a baby girl. "It must be Minjung and her Mom." Mark said. 'How cute..' He smiled. He locked it up again and kept it inside his jeans pocket before eating his untouched food.


 

After that meeting at the mall, they once again have not seen for a while. Except for Jackson and Minrae who turned out to be quite good friends. Whenever the two decided to hang out, both Minjung at Mark would rather skip and stay at home. It went on for a couple more weeks until midterms for the 1st semester came up.

 

Minjung removed her glasses and her hair tie before slumping back on her chair. She had spent the past few days staying back at the schools library to study since it was exams week. She took out her phone from her jeans pocket and saw that it was quarter to seven. She sighed and massaged her nose bridge. She looked around and saw that she was the only student there. She shrugged and stood up before heading to the book shelves to return the books she used and borrowed for the past few days.

"Why must you leave early today Seohyun sunbae..." Minjung whispered to herself, mentioning the student librarian's name. An hour earlier, Seohyun had asked her to take care of the library and close it after everyone left because she had an early appointment with her wedding organizer. Yes, she is getting married. At the age of twenty-one and still in her college years. She is to marry her boyfriend for 5 years and fiance for another 2 years. "So sweet." She smiled.

She looked up and saw that she finally found the last book she was looking for for the past couple of days but it was to high for her. She looked for a stool and stood up on it to get the book. "Got ya." Minjung whispered when she got the book. She turned around and accidentally slipped on the edge causing her to fall. She closed her eyes and got ready for the impact but instead felt arms on her back and at the back of her knees. "Got ya." The guy whispered on her ear. She opened her eyes and looked at the guy's face. "Where did you come from?" She asked ,out of breath. "I'm from LA." Mark said. "Where did you come from?" She asked again. Mark shrugged and pointed at the door then walked them both to where the tables were.

 

"You can put me down now." Minjung said when he continued to walk through the maze of book shelves. "No." He simply said. "Yah, Put me down." Minjung said, looking at him. He looked at her and raised a brow. "Please." She added shyly. Mark smiled and chuckled. "You're cute when you're shy. You should be shy more often." He said, suddenly stopping in his tracks when he looked down at Minjung who was blushing. His smile broadened and he walked once again.

 

"You know you should stop studying, it's nearly 10." Mark said closing the open books from beside Minjung who continued to study, talking to him when he asked. "What? Really?" She checked her phone and true to that it was 5 minutes till 10. Mark continued to look at her and gently removed her hair tie. He ruffled her hair and let it fall down her sides softly. "You look prettier with your hair down, like earlier." He said. Minjung looked at him and raised a brow. "Pretty? Really?" She said, not believing what Mark said. He sat up straight and faced her side profile. "Pretty. Really." He said, pinching her cheek.

"I'm still mad at you for doing what you did at the mall." Minjung said. He sighed and clasped his hands infront of him. "I'm sorry about that. I didn't realize i crossed the line. Sorry." He said sincerely. They both looked up and looked at each others eyes. "I'll forgive you since you saved me from falling back there. Sorry for being rude and mean to you." She said. He smiled softly and nodded. "So i guess we're even?" Mark asked. She nodded and smiled back at him.

 

"I should pack up." She turned back to her things and started fixing them. Mark watched her silently. She packed everything in her backpack and closed it. Then she turned to him.  "Can i have my hair tie please?" She asked, showing out her palm. He shook his head and kept it inside his pocket. "No, cause you'll tie your hair again." He said. Minjung sighed and smiled. They were finally on good terms.

"I still have a lot of those you know." Minjung said, standing up. Mark followed suit and took her bag then handed it to her. "Then i guess i'll just take them all." He smiled. Minjung smiled back and shook her head. He reached out and tucked her hair behind her ear. Minjung backed away. " Yeah. About the touching thing..."Minjung whispered. He backed away and raised both hands. "Sorry. Didn't mean to." Mark said. Minjung nodded and they both fell into silence. "We should get going..." Mark said. He stretched out a hand and opened the door for her before following suite.

They walked silently around the halls and lockers when JM's phone vibrated. She fished it out and saw a text.

 

From: Hongki oppa

Jungiee-ah, i'm sorry i can't pick you up.

I have night shift at work today. Sorry. TT^TT

 

Minjung let out a sigh and typed a text to Minrae asking if she could pick her up.

 

"You need a ride?" Mark asked as they walked out to the open campus. "Uhmm.. I was about to ask Minrae if she could pick me up..."she said. "I'll give you a ride then. Where do you live?" He asked as he led them both to the parking lot. "I live with Minrae. Black House cafe, the apartment beside it." She said. "Oh. It's near here." He said. She nodded and smiled. He nodded and stopped at the passenger's door. Before opening it for her. "Oh. You drive a sports car?" She asked him. He leaned on the window and nodded. He gestured to get inside the car and she did. He ran quickly to the other side and quickly drove off.

 

 

Months passed by and they were already on their 1st day of their semester break.  Finals had gone by quickly but not for Minjung. She had to maintain her scholarship so she had to study day and night. For the rest of them, since it was their first break in 5 months, they decided to attend to this big party the seniors were hosting.

"Hey, wake up."  Jackson poked the person's cheek. "5 minutes..." Minjung murmured. "Yah, it's been 30 minutes already. You'll be late for the party. " Minrae said from the othet side of thr bed. "Guys, seriously. Do i have to go to this party?" she asked, sitting up and brushing her hair back and eyes still closed. "Yes, you have to. You've been in here for the past days. We have to meet people you know." Minrae said again, handing Minjung her glasses. "Fine. Whatever. And what are you doing here?" Minjung rubbed her eyes before wearing her glasses and looking at Jackson sitting at the end of her bed.  "I'm the ride, remember?" He said, holding up his keys. "Right." Minjung nodded.

"Well you can wait outside cause i have to shower and change. " She added pushing him off her bed and out their room. "Can i watch?" he asked. "No. . Go watch some tv or something instead. There's food in the kitchen. Help yourself. And where's Mark?" She asked, sitting Jackson down on the sofa. "He'll catch up later, he doesn't want to wait up for you girls cause he'll get bored, he said." Jackson explained, standing up again to get popcorn and chocolate milk. "Ok. Well, you enjoy yourself with the tv while we get ready, 'Kay?" Minrae said handing him the remote and a couple of dvds. "Have i not been here before? Geez, i can take care of myself ok. " he said, pushing the girls inside their room.

 

It took Minjung only 20 minutes to finish getting ready for the party. Minrae started getting ready half an hour before Minjung started and by the time she was done doing her hair, she went out of the room and watched TV with Jackson. They were only in the middle of the movie when Minjung came out of the room her hair blow dried and and shoes in her hands.

"Woah. No. Nope. You are not leaving like that." Minrae said when she glanced then looked completely at Minjung. "Why not? It's just a party." Minjung said, looking at her outfit that consists of a white and grey flannel shirt, and black skinny jeans finished off with classic black vans. "You look like a dude with long hair, right Jackson?" Minrae said standing up and walking infront if Minjung. Jackson glanced and shrugged his shoulders. "What's the matter? You look handsome Minjung. Let's go, shall we?" He said, turning off the TV and standing up. Minjung rolled her eyes at him and let Minrae drag her back to their room. Jackson shrugged once again and sat down on the sofa. He took out his phone and started scrolling through his SNS accounts.

 

"Ok, let's go now shall we?" Minjung said as she opened the door to their room and went straight to the kitchen for a glass of water. "Yeah yeah, sure let's....go." Jackson said when he looked up and saw Minjung. "I know right. Say it, i did a good job." Minrae whispered to Jackson when he stood up and walked beside Minrae who was standing infront of Minjung. "Is she wearing make up?" He whispered. Minrae nodded and lifted a hand for a lo-five. He had to give it to her and whistled lowly as he continued to stare at her.

"Holy crap girl, you're her fairy godmother." He whispered once they got out of the house and started walking behind Minjung. "Jackson, stop mouth gaping and start driving. I'm starving." Minjung said without turning around as she opened the door to Jackson's car and sliding in the back seat. Minrae laughed and walked ahead before they all finally left for the party.

"Right, Mark texted and said that he's already at the party. "Jackson said as they stopped for the red light. "Right, and did he mention who did he hit on already?" Minjung asked. "Hmm. No actually. Cause he texted when he just arrived." Jackson said making Minrae laugh. For the past few weeks, Minrae and Jackson had sensed that something was going on between Mark and Minjung. So the two of them started teasing Minjung about Mark. They weren't quite sure about Mark but they would catch Mark's reaction from time to time when another guy tries to hit on Minjung. They both wouldn't notice each other's response but it was clear for Jackson and Minrae.

 

"Ok, we're here." Jackson announced as he parked the car and turned off the engine. They all got out and started walking to the back yard where the party was happening. "Hey, i'm going to get us drinks. You go find Mark." Minjung said above the loud music and walked seperately inside the house. She found herself being stared at by a few people as she walked inside the kitchen and found where the food and drinks were. She started pouring herself a cup and two more glasses until someone stood beside her. "Hey. Nice party huh?" a male voice said from beside her. "Yeah." Minjung answered shortly, glancing at the guy for a while before she stared wide eyed at him again.

 

"How'd you find me?" she asked Mark. He looked up for a second and saw Minjung. Then he looked at her from head to foot with wide eyes. She was wearing a dark loose silky grey tank top, the front tucked inside her black leather mini skirt and still wearing her black vans. She had black leather cuffs on one wrist and another silver band on the other wrist. She had black cat liner and her hair was styled nicely and tied into a ponytail. She wasn't wearing her glasses and instead wore her grey contact lenses which pretty much summoned up her whole look.

"Uh, Mark?" she snapped her finger infront of him. He blinked and scanned her once again. "Wow." was all that Mark mustered up to say. She laughed slightly and lightly punched his arm. " What's with the reaction? I look fine right?" she said, looking at her outfit then back at Mark who was staring at her clothes. "Mark, my face is up here." she waved her hand and lifted his head with her finger. "i didn't recognize you." he whispered. "right? I look a kid who got out of a club. You know, i told Minrae that." She said, continuing to pour the drinks on the last glass. "No. You look, hot." he said turning back to his glass and started pouring on it too. She smiled and raised a brow at him. "O-K? Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself." she said, her heart starting to beat faster. 'he thinks i'm what?' she asked herself inside her head. She glanced at his hand and noticed that he was pouring another glass.

"You're with someone?" she asked, her mood suddenly dropping but not making it obvious. "Yeah, she's in my finance class. " he said. "Ok then, i'll go back to Jackson and Minrae then. " she said holding up three glasses and a bowl of nachos on top. "i'll get that for you." he chuckled at her and took the bowl of nachos. "Ladies first?" he nodded for her to walked first and she did.

 

"Guys, little help here." Minjung said when she spotted Jackson and Minrae with a few of their other friends. Jackson took the two glasses in her hand whil Minrae took the nachos. "Hey guys." Minjung greeted the others. They all greeted with smiles and went on talking. Jackson looked at Mark and saw that he was still looking at Minjung. He approached him and stood beside him while Minjung took his seat.

 

"You're going to drill a hole on her if you keep on looking at her like that." Jackson talked in a low voice that only Mark could hear. "What?" Mark looked away and shifted his eyes at Jackson instead. "Stop staring at her so openly dude. You're too obvious. " Jackson whispered making Mark drink his punch with one big gulp. "Where were you? We were looking for you back here. " Jackson said. "I..was inside. When did you arrive? Why didn't you give me a heads up?" Mark asked back. "5 minutes ago? And what are you talking about?" he asked reaching out for the other glass but Mark dodged instead.

"Why didn't you tell me she was coming?" Mark whispered to Jackson. "You knew she was coming." Jackson answered. "She rejected our invite five times, how would I know?" Mark said frustratedly.  "What's up with you?" Jackson asked reaching for the drink again but Mark dodged it again. " This is for the girl waiting for me back inside." Mark said frustratedly. "I never thought you would convince her to come." Mark sighed and drank again.  Jackson laughed and slapped Mark's back. "You have a date? Well what are you going to do now?" Jackson asked, holding back his laughter. "Obviously i can't just leave that girl inside. " Mark said.  "I'll just bring her here." he added with a fading tone in his voice. "Sure." Jackson patted Mark's shoulder then sat beside Minrae.

 

"What did he say?" Minrae whispered as soon as Jackson sat down. "He was totally going to make his move on her tonight." He whispered making her giggle silently. "Wait, 'was' ?" She asked incredolously.  "Apparently." He sighed. "He told me he already found a date." he added. "Why? he knew she was coming." she said. "He never thought we would convince her into going." he said. She pouted and nodded in understanding. They both looked at Minjung who was talking to a another girl and sighed heavily. A few minutes later...

 

"Hey, where'd..you go..." Minjung drifted off on her words when she saw Mark with his date just behind him. "Guys, this is Jieun. My date." Mark said, introducing the girl beside him. She was quite pretty, even Minjung had to admit. "Hi. Nice to meet you." She bowed and smiled at all of us. Minjung kept on looking at them as the others welcomed Jieun and vacated a seat for the two of them. Even though she was jealous and feeling uncomfortable with the situation, she tried her best to be nice and friendly. After all, Jieun was Mark's date. Unknown to her, Mark on the other hand wasn't feeling much different from what Minjung was feeling. He thought to himself why would he bring a date when he already admitted to himself, that he has romantic feelings for Minjung. Because you're trying to get over her in case you'd be humiliated. he sighed as he sadly agreed to his conscience. "Something wrong?" Jieun asked looking at Mark with worried eyes. He shook his head no and gave her a reassuring smile before glancing at Minjung.

 

 

"Girl, it's only been two days and your working again?" Minrae said as she walked to the kitchen and saw Minjung in her uniform cooking breakfast. "I have to. Especially now that it's our semestral break." Minjung said, placing all the food on a plate and setting it on the table. "Can't you just rest? You've been working and studying at the same time for the past 5 months. You need to catch up on your sleep and you seriously need to unwind." Minrae said, buttering her toast. "Rae, I don't need that. I'm fine. " Minjung said smiling at her bestfriend. Her friend in return shook her head at Minjung's stubbornness and brought out a different topic.

"Rae, can you get the door please?" Minjung said over the loud noise of her blow dryer. "Okay." she heard Minrae reply from the living room followed rushing footsteps. Minjung loosely gathered her hair into a mid-high ponytail and tied it as it is. She took one last glance at her full sized mirror before leaving her room. When she peeked at who was at the door, she saw two police officers. "what's going on?" She asked approaching the door beside Minrae. "Minjung..." Minrae whispered.

 

"Are you Lee Minjung?" One tall officer asked. "Yes, I am." Minjung answered. "We received a call earlier this morning from your brother that, something happened at your house. I'm very sorry to tell you this now, but you're mother is at the hospital, and is in a critical condition. " The officer said, looking very sorry. Minjung couldn't stop her body from falling when she heard the news. Minrae pulled Minjung into a supporting hug when she remained lifeless. "Can you please take us to the hospital?" Minrae asked the two officers and they nodded immediately. They took Minjung to the car while Minrae took their phones, wallet and keys inside the house. She sent one quick message to Jackson and Mark informing them they were at the Hopspital to check on Minjung's mother. She then ran back to the car not forgetting to lock the door, and soon they were off.

 
 

"Noona!" Minhyun, Minjung's brother ran up to her and gave her a tight hug. Minjung hugged her brother back and quickly pulled away to check on her brother. She looked up at him and saw how pale he was. "When did you arrive? did you call your teacher about what happened?" she asked. He nodded and continued crying while looking down at her. "I just came home from work last night when I saw Mom setting dinner for me. When she was walking to the table she slowly fell on the ground. I called an ambulance and called in sick this morning. The doctors told me she had another heart attack. " He explained to her sister with a shaky voice and tears still falling down. Minjung couldn't look at his brother this way so she hugged him tight and soothed him, "She'll be fine Hyunnie, she'll be fine."

 

An hour later the doctors informed them that the patient is in critical condition and to prepare for the worst but upon the patients request, she will be moved to a private room where they can have their privacy. "Mom, what happened to you?" Minjung asked looking at her very pale and sick looking mother. "Don't stress yourself out sweetie. I'll be fine. Soon the pain...will be gone." She held in a groan when she shifted a little. Minhyun who was on the other side of the bed, held their mother's hand and brought it up to his cheek. "Mom, you're hand is so cold..." He said, caressing her face. She looked at him and gave him a small smile.

"Hyunnie, my sweet sweet boy. Take good care of your sister. You're the only man in our family so protect her well. Make sure she eats and get some sleep. Don't give her a hard time, understood?" She said, caressing the side of his face. "Yes. I'll do that. I promise."  Minhyun said, sniffing in between. Then their mother turned to Minjung, she caressed her daughter's cheek as well and couldn't help but break down in tears. "Minjung, My angel. You too, take care of your brother. Check on him always and take care of him. Make sure he studies well. Keep an eye on him and protect him as well. He's your only sibling, don't lose him like your father did. Ok?" Minjung nodded silently and closed her eyes to stop the tears from falling. "Look at me, both of you." Their mother whispered.

"You two are my world and the only reason why I breath. Stay good people and remember to be kind and grateful of what you have. Live a happy life and don't abandon each other." Their mother went on, crying in the process. "Mom, don't talk like that. It's like you're saying goodbye." Minjung said. Minhyun closed his eyes and hugged her while resting his head on her chest. The Mother couldn't answer, instead she wrapped her arm around his shoulder and opened her other arm for her daughter. Minjung stood up and placed her head on her mother's shoulder. "I'm not going anywhere, i'll always be with you two. Remember that." she said. She closed her eyes and said, "My babies, I love you both very much." As she whispered her words, the heart monitor flat lined and a single tear left their Mother's eye.

 

Minjung widened her eyes at the sound and she quickly pulled back to look at her now gone mother. "Mom? Mom! No!" She shouted, waking up her mother as Minrae finally stood up to pull back her friend. "No! Hyunnie! Call the nurse!" Minhyun didn't ring the bell above the bed but instead walked to her sister and took her in his arms. "Noona, stop. She didn't want to tell you. But the doctor said she was already at her worst state. Mom decided to just give her a few more hours to say goodbye properly." Minhyun whispered as he held her lifeless sister in his arms. Minrae instead, rang the bell and the nurses along with Jackson and Mark came rushing in the door. Minjung watched as the nurses attended to their mother. Jackson and Mark looked at Minjung's mother who was being covered with a sheet then looked at their friends.

"Minjung..." Jackson whispered. Minjung slowly pulled away and stood up. She silently walked outside as everyone and everything became blind to her. Minhyun watched as her sister walked away and decided to just let her be. Minrae tried to follow but Minhyun stopped her. "Let her be. She wants to be alone." Jackson attended to Minrae who was crying as well while Minhyun turned to look at her Mother and the doctor. "Thank you for everything." Minhyun bowed at the doctor and at the nurses. "We're sorry for your loss. " they bowed as well. "You can fill up the documents when you're ready. We'll be waiting at the reception." The doctor said. Minhyun gave them a small smile. "I'll do them now." He said with a shaky voice. "Follow me then, please." The nurse said, bowing to the others inside the room and escorting Minhyun out. "I'll go find Minjung." Mark said and without another word, he left.

He ran around looking for Minjung. He scanned the whole place, asking the nurses along the way. Just as he turned to walk back to the elevator, he caught a glimpse of Minjung sitting outside on the bench of the hospital's garden. He placed his hands inside his pocket and took a step forward to see how she was holding up. She sat there on the bench, looking lifeless and numb. Not a trace of tear was visible. He sighed and stopped by the vendo machine to get two cups of coffee before approaching her.

 

"Hey." Mark greeted her softly. She looked up at him emotionlessly as he offered her the cup of coffee. When she didn't respond and instead stared upfront, he settled the cups on the seat beside her. He looked at her and noticed that she wasn't wearing her coat, so he took off his jacket and draped it around her shoulders. She remained unfazed as he knelt infront of her and placed a hand on her knee

"Minjung, talk to me." He said, reaching out for her hand on her lap. She sighed out loud and finally let a tear fall down. "What do I do now?" she asked, looking at his eyes as if the answer she desperately needed were there. He fell silent and continued caressing her hand. "She's gone. My mom...she's gone." she said out loud. This time, a tear or two fell down and she sniffed. She looked at her hands with furrowed brows. "Why would he take her away from me? from us?" She asked him, with an angry tone. "For 5 years, I prayed to him every night and day. Asking him to take away the pain she felt. Asking him, to make my mom better and our lives a bit easier. But instead, he took her away from me and Minhyun." She cried.

"I feel so angry and unfair because of what he did. I want to curse him out and be mad at the world but I can't. I want to scream at him for taking her away but I can't. I just can't." She cried out loud. Mark watched as she closed her eyes and angrily let out what was in her mind. He watched her clutch on her shirt and repeatedly hit her chest. She cried and let out a frustrated breath. " Why does it feel so stuffed in here? It hurts so much." she cried, continously hitting her chest.

 

Mark watched in pity. He was hurt that she was so vulnerable and he felt so sorry because he can't take the pain for her. He would willingly take all the hurt and anger she felt, but that wasn't possible. Instead, he stopped her arm from hitting her chest and pulled them to wrap his waist. He took her tearful face towards his chest and caressed her back, in hopes for her to calm down.

 

She cried for another 20 minutes or so. Never did they remove their arms from each other. The coffee had gone cold but He had also forgotten abouy them. When the sniffling and the sobbing  die down, he peeked down at her only to see her sleeping softly on his chest. The caressing and crying must have let her fall asleep. He smiled down at her and bravely kissed her forehead. Then the sudden movement from her shocked him. 'Is she awake?' he thought. But when he peeked down at her again, she had only stirred in her sleep and hugged him tighter. He let out a relieved sigh and very carefully, lifted her arms and wrapped them on his neck instead. He slowly s his arms under her knees and behind her so he could carry her bridal style inside the building.

 
 

"Where were you?-" Minrae asked when the door opened to the sight Minjung sleeping in Mark's arms. "We were outside in the garden. She was crying for a long time i guess she fell asleep." Mark explained as he set her down on the couch where Minhyun and Jackson made space for. "Sorry for the trouble. You all must be exhausted. " Minhyun bowed apologetically. "It's fine. Your sister is like our own family. Your loss is ours." Jackson patted his shoulders comfortingly. Minhyun looked up at everyone and smiled at them gratefully. "My sister is lucky to have friends like you. Thank you very much." he bowed once again.

 

A few minutes later, the nurse informed them about the preparations for Mrs. Lee's funeral at the other wing of the Hospital. News got around their neighborhood quickly and some of their mother's friends went to the hospital and helped the two siblings prepare for the funeral. Minhyun carried her sister in her arms and brought her to the females changing roo. He shook her lightly and woke her up. "Noona, wake up." She groggily opened her eyes and sat up to see Minhyun and Minrae taking the clothes from the cabinet. He smiled softly at her and tucked her hair behind her ears. He kissed the top of her head and hugged her tight. She did as well and let the warmth of her brother come to her. He gave her one last squeeze before leaving her in Minrae's hands. " Let's get changed Jungie." Minrae said, standing her up.

 
 

The funeral passed by quick and not a lot of people came to offer their condolences. Most of their mother's friends from the market and their neighbors came. Minhyun's friends also came to help. Their childhood friends also came over. As the visitors finished paying theri respects, thry all went to the dining hall and started drinking. The siblings as well took a break and sat on one table, after serving and thanking the people for coming on short notice.

As they were eating with their friends. One man in particular walked up to both of the siblings who they didn't recognize until he mentioned his name. "Yah, how can you two not remember Choi fatty?" their eyes widened in shock while Minjung blushed, obviously flustered and shocked. "Choi Minhwan." "Minhwan hyung." they both whispered. He smiled at the mention of his name

"I'm sorry about Ahjumma's death. After dad died, i never got the chance to say goodbye to you two. You still remember me right?" he said. Minhyun nodded and hugged him. "Hyung, where have you been? Noona and i cried so much when you suddenly left. " Minhyun suddenly cried. "I missed you too hyunnie." Minhwan patted the young lad who now cries in his arms. "It's nice to see you, Minhwan." Minjung smiled up at him. He too smiled back and pinched her cheek. "Well get used to me again. I'm staying, for good." He said. 


It took me longer than what i expected to post this.