chapter three

Under Your Skin

chapterthree

you drive me crazy; not in the good way


 

    ericnam

 

I have a very well-devised theory that Mark and Audrey have an unspoken treaty when it comes to events like the absolutely brilliant one I’d come up with. Special gatherings, the lot.

 

The treaty involves them trying to act civilized with each other, kind of. Around company. I really don’t know what they do when no one’s around, probably because no one dares to leave them alone for fear of something exploding, or maybe one of them imploding.

 

Anyway, this incredibly flawless theory is founded purely on the fact that neither Audrey nor Mark is

    a) severely injured yet

    b) dead.

 

It’s pretty good logic if you ask me.


 

I headed down the hallway, rubbing the towel against my damp hair. Audrey was waiting in the living room, probably successfully damaging the floor with ocean water, grumpily waiting for me because I managed to get to our room first and locked the door before she could get in.

 

Oh well. Brian’s the nice brother, not me.

 

“Shut up,” I heard her hiss, and I paused, tip-toeing down the corridor, peering around the corner. I spotted Mark smirking back at my sister, arms crossed over his chest. Audrey shivered, wrapped tightly inside her towel.

 

Well. I guess that’s what they do when they’re left alone - fight. Surprise, surprise.

 

“I didn’t say anything,” Mark blinked innocently back at her, and if looks could kill, Mark would probably be dead.

 

It was a miracle he wasn’t dead already, really. As per Ailee’s words, if Mark was fire, Audrey is highly flammable. Something was bound to combust when we put the two together.

 

“I--” Audrey started up, and I jumped into the living room just in time, loudly announcing myself.

 

“Told you I wouldn’t take that long,” I beamed, striding over to Audrey. “Come on, go take a shower before you get sick.” She scowled at me, whipping her hair around, trying to get water on me, and I laughed, pushing her away.

 

“If I do, it’s your fault,” she quipped at me, running off to the room, leaving a trail of water behind her. I chuckled, rolling my eyes. Audrey was all bark and no bite. She’d be back in high spirits after her shower.

 

“Hey,” I nodded, flopping down on the couch. At least she’d been smart enough not to sit and damage all the leather, I mused, and Mark took a seat across from me on the recliner, leaning back and tilting his chin up in acknowledgement.

 

“So...having fun?” I asked, and Mark shrugged, “yeah.”

 

Trying to talk to Mark when I wasn’t Jackson or Audrey was like trying to talk to a wall. In fact, a wall would probably say more.

 

So I decided to bring up his ever-favorite subject.

 

“So how are you and Audrey? Getting along any better?”

 

Mark’s eyebrows shot up so high, I was surprised they didn’t hit the ceiling at some point. “Take a guess,” he said dryly, and I laughed, relaxing into the couch.

 

“Dude, chill. I know you’d rather die than admit you totally had a crush on her in the fifth grade.”

 

Mark groaned into his palm, dragging his hand down his face. “Joey. Joey had a crush on her when I was in the fifth grade, because he was a dumb third grader--”

 

“What’s his excuse now?” I snickered; it was a well known fact that Mark’s little brother still adored Audrey, constantly flocking to her. Audrey had a solid fanbase of underclassmen boys, actually. It embarrassed Brian to no end, but Audrey was oblivious and cooed over Joey because he was her “favorite Tuan.”

 

Wasn’t really hard to figure out why.

 

“What’s who’s excuse now?” Jackson asked, entering the room, hopping over the back of the couch opposite the one I was sitting on and plopping down.

 

“Nothing, no one,” Mark said, shaking his head. “Ignore Eric.”

 

“Easily,” Jackson said smoothly, sprawling over the couch and leaning across the arm of it to beam at Mark.

 

“That’s hurtful,” I informed him, and Jackson, well, ignored me.

 

So much for respect for elders.


 

    -- -- --


 

“Oppa, have you seen Audrey?”

 

“Hm? I haven’t,” I answered, turning around to look at Luna, holding my cup of tea. She was the only one who used Korean formalities with me, aside from Audrey when she was either extremely excited and fell back on old habits, or when she desperately wanted something out of me or Eddie. “Why?”

 

“It’s getting late oppa, perfect time for girl talk, you know?” She grinned at me and I chuckled. No wonder Audrey was nowhere in sight. She was allergic to all things feminine.

 

“Check Kris’s room. They’re probably bullying Henry or something.” I tilted my head in the direction of the boys’ room, and Luna bowed her head slightly, calling out a thanks before dashing off in the direction I’d pointed. There was a yelp and a chuckle suddenly, and I peered around the corner curiously to see Luna’s hands on Mark’s chest, Mark holding her up with a surprised smile on his face.

 

“You okay?” he asked, giving her some space, his hand still on her elbow. Luna nodded, backing up rapidly when she caught sight of Audrey, Kris, and Henry emerging from the room they were in. Audrey glanced at Luna, then at Mark, and I could practically see the steam coming out of her ears.

 

Aw, crap.

 

Mark--

 

Kris clamped one hand over Audrey’s mouth and used his other hand to lift her up by the waist, transporting her away from Mark. She kicked and screamed, her voice muffled by Kris’s hand. Mark smirked slightly at the sight while Luna winced, cringing a little.

 

Audrey continued yelling with a fierce glare at Mark, but he simply arched his eyebrows at her tauntingly while Luna tried to pacify her, rambling frantically.

 

“It was an accident, I bumped into him, he wasn’t doing anything, I swear, okay? Don’t be mad at him, honestly, you’re so protective, seriously!” A few Korean words slipped out here and there, and Audrey finally quieted, Kris grimacing and pulling his hand away from Audrey’s mouth.

 

“Did you just me?”

 

“I couldn’t breathe,” Audrey said defensively, and Kris rolled his eyes, setting her back down on her feet.

 

“That’s what you get for overreacting,” he shot back, but there was an affectionate look in his eyes and Audrey huffed, giving him a playful nudge with her foot.

 

“Meanie,” she muttered, and Kris couldn’t help but smile, ruffling her hair.

 

“Midget,” he chuckled, and Luna smiled fondly at the both of them.

 

“You two would be so cute together,” she cooed, and Audrey looked at Luna exasperatedly for a split second before turning her gaze back on Mark, a hard look in her eyes.

 

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” she asked, her voice rough with anger. Henry flinched at her tone, in a breath and spinning on his heels, walking away as fast as he could.

 

“Audrey…” Kris said warningly, but Mark quirked an eyebrow back at her, the corner of his lips tilted upwards just barely. He was provoking her on purpose, and probably signing a death sentence with it.

 

“Aren’t you talking to me right now?” he asked, and Audrey stomped over to him, yanking him by the arm and dragging him forcefully into Henry and Kris’s now empty room before any of us could even react.

 

“--” Kris cursed when he realized he’d reacted too late, his bedroom door slamming shut and locking with a quiet click. I hummed, taking a sip of the tea I’d made earlier, wondering if I should be concerned for Mark’s health.

 

“She won’t kill him, right?” Luna asked worriedly, and I stared at the closed door for a little while longer, thoughtfully. Mark had to have known that he’d hit a sensitive spot for Audrey, which was rare, even for him. But Audrey was also usually more or less in control of her emotions when it came down to it, even if it didn’t look like it.

 

“Like I always say, bark and no bite,” I finally said, turning around and walking away, going off to find Ailee. “I wouldn’t be too worried. They’re always like this.”

 

Sort of, anyway.


 

    marktuan

 

“Can you not?”

 

Audrey was fuming. She was more angry than she had been for awhile at me. We bickered to all hell and back, but for the most part we were mostly just irritated with each other, rather than downright angry.

 

But this was different. Audrey was pissed.

 

“Can I not what?” I asked, and I knew I was asking to get my handed to me, but it was so easy to want to fight when it came to Audrey. She was the easiest person in the world to argue with. I didn’t want to calm her down. I wanted to drive her crazy, make her furious, because she was always doing the same to me.

 

“Stop flirting with her!” she practically shouted at me. “You think I’m blind? I can see you hanging all over her. Fine, be her friend, I won’t stop you. You wanna talk to her? Go the ahead. But don’t you dare mess around, Mark--”

 

“Are you jealous?” I taunted, and she glared hard back at me. “Aw, poor widdle Audwey.”

 

She inhaled deeply, trying to reel in her anger. She closed her eyes, hands clenching and unclenching by her side. “I’m going to strangle you someday,” she said quietly, opening her eyes and staring at me. “I swear to God I will.”

 

Something in her voice nagged at me, told me to stop, but I ignored it in favor of shrugging, pushing my hands into my pockets and leaning against the wall. “Bite me.”

 

“That’s disgusting,” she snapped practically instinctively; then, “I’m telling you right now, Mark, don’t play around with Luna. I don’t care what other girl you wanna with, do whatever you want, I don’t give a . But don’t mess with Luna. You hear me?”

 

“Why are you so dramatic?” I scoffed, pushing myself off the wall and stepping towards her. “What if I like her? What then?”

 

“Bull,” she rolled her eyes. “Listen to me, for once in your life. Don’t mess with her just because you want to get on my nerves. If you have any respect - for her, at least - then back off and stop playing around.” She shoved past me but hesitated at the door, her hand resting on the handle. She stood there for a moment, quiet, just looking in front of her wordlessly. I watched her, and something in her seemed to waver before her gaze hardened again, her voice coming out rough, bitter.

 

“You know how unfair it is that you get to walk around like you’re hot ? That you’re allowed to walk into somebody’s life and walk right back out with no consequences just because you’ve got a pretty face and pretty lies to match?”

 

Her eyes flashed when she looked at me, and when I didn’t react, she laughed humorlessly, shaking her head. “Yeah, of course you don’t. What do you know anyway?”

 

She opened the door before I could so much as think of a response, and walked straight past Kris without a single glance. He’d been hovering by the door, and the look on his face went from frustrated to worried in half a second, watching her walk down the hallway with her head down. Luna had been waiting too, chasing after Audrey when Audrey walked past her as well.

 

Kris looked at me, observing me quietly. “One of these days, you’re really going to hurt her,” he said finally. “And you’re gonna find out that it’s not gonna feel as good as you think it would.”

 

I rotated my jaw in annoyance. “I’m not Jay,” I said firmly. “We fight a lot. I get that. We piss each other off. But I am not Jay. Even I don’t stoop that low.”

 

Kris eyed me for a minute longer, then nodded in acceptance. “Make sure you don’t. Now get out of my room, punk.” He quirked his lips upwards in a small smile, tilting his head in the direction of my room, and I rolled my eyes, grinning lopsidedly.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” I chuckled, heading off to my room.


 

 


 

author’snotes;

ngl, eric is like my favorite person in the whole world. sorry, mark! xD

and the drama begins.. if you thought this would be a light-hearted story.. well, we’ll see. LOL.

comments are always appreciated!

 

side note: GOT7’s comeback!!! I love it =w= the music video is adorable omg jyp & got7, damn good job! also that mv set looks hella fun.. LOL