Chapter 1: New Boy

Pretty Boy

The light shone through the window and directly onto my face, waking me up. It wasn't that bright out, but it was just enough for me to wake up. Unlike a lot of people, I'm a morning person. Mornings were always refreshing for me. Especially when I'm up early enough to see the sunrise. 

I got up from bed quickly and walked into my bathroom. I tools nice hot shower and brushed my teeth afterwards. I walked my face with Proactive, though I really didn't have to, since my skin cleared up like a month ago. It's a habit though; I can't help it. I got dressed and blowdried my hair and put it up in a high ponytail soon afterwards. I pulled on my book bag and slipped my shoes on before walking out my bedroom door, and down the stairs. 

I sighed and shook my head when I noticed that my twin sister, Katalina, was nowhere to be seen. She forgot to wake up early, again. So much for promises, huh?

I walked out of the door and hopped inside of my car. When I started it, it roared to life, and I pulled out of the driveway. I then plugged the aux cord into my phone and started playing music. I hummed lightly as I drove down the street to Dunkin' Donuts, just to order some coffee. After that, I headed straight to school. 

I just began my senior year of high school, and I am honestly so excited for it. This is going to be my last year of school before I go into college to start perusing my dreams: to become a fashion designer. I know, it's weird, but I really do have a passion for fashion. Ever since I discovered Bratz Dolls when I was younger, I've wanted to become one. 

I parked my car in the lot and hopped out, coffee in hand. I was always the first one to be at school, besides the teachers, but it felt like someone was here before me. I swear, it seems like there's one extra car in lot. 

I walked inside, looking around the familiar school. I know someone else is here. I just know it. I tapped my lip and walked towards the steps, to the junior/senior floor. That's when I heard bumping music. Like I said, someone is here. 

Why would someone be in the dance room at this time of day though? Students start waking up at this time usually. I'm so confused right now. 

I looked through the window and there was an average sized boy, dancing his life away. He had blonde hair and pale skin, but I couldn't see his face. I walked in quietly; although my mind was telling me no, my body was telling me yes.

He's a really good dancer, from what I see. He looks really passionate about it.

All of a sudden, he stopped, and stared at me through the mirror. 

"Who are you?"

I backed into the door and my jaw dropped. "I, uh, uhm, s-sorry-" I opened the door and ran out. 

I ran down the hall and around the sober before he could even catch up with me. I don't know what happened. I seriously don't know why I let that happen. I vowed to myself, and I even made it my New Years Resolution to stop running away from attractive guys. But then again, people hardly ever fulfill their New Years Resolution.

He was very attractive though. From what I saw, he was definitely Asain. His eyes were small and cat like, and his lips were heart shaped and plump. His hair stuck to face due to sweat, which made him even more attractable, if that's even a word. I really don't know how I can deal with seeing him on the day-to-day basis. 

Come on Katrina, you're supposed to welcome him! He's obviously new! How are you going to become a designer if you're going to be working with models?! Keyword: models; attractive people! 

I hit my forehead against the locker multiple times before I heard footsteps. I was full panic mode again, and I ran. I ran until I knocked into a garbage can and fell face first on the floor. I groaned and rolled over in pain.

"Katrina? Are you okay?" 

I opened my eyes, and there stood my junior year math teacher. He looked at me in concern, but sadly, I was still in panic mode. 

"Uh, y-yeah." I stood up quickly and picked the trash bin back up. "Just excited, you know." I fiddled with my fingers. 

"You look nervous." He squinted at me. 

"What? Me? No, you know that I'm never nervous; gotta run!" I turned around and ran once I saw a figure down the hallway. 

God, what is with me?! I can't run from this boy all day... But that doesn't mean I won't. I need to find my locker anyways. 

I finally found my new locker, and I think I lost the boy too, thankfully. You see, ever since I was six, I've never been well around boys I'm attracted to. One day, I was at the park with my family, and I was playing in the sandbox with a boy I had a small crush on. Well, you see what happened was, I didn't have a belt on, so when I jumped up to put the finishing touches on the castle, my pants fell and he laughed. Very hard. I couldn't talk to boys ever since. Crazy, I know. 

I put all of my things in my locker and stared at it for a while, just to stall. I'm really hoping that I won't have to encounter that boy again. I will surely embarrass myself. I guarantee you. 

Soon, people started coming in, and school began to start. That was a relief for me, because I spent the rest do my time hiding in my locker, hoping that a cute Asian boy won't see me. My life. 

"Katrina, I am so sor-

"Don't worry about that, I have horrible news." I pulled my sister to the side. "There's a cute new boy here, and he comes in super early just like me." 

"Ooh, that is horrible news." See, she understands me. "But it can also be good news!" Never mind, she knows nothing about me and my life. "Katrina, this can finally be your year where you get over your fears of boys!" She shook me by my shoulders. 

"Are you crazy?!" I yelled and shook my head. Then something caught my eye. I looked to the right and saw the boy staring at me. I looked down to see if my pants were still pulled up, but I remembered that I was wearing a skirt. Then I realized that he was staring at me, and I quickly his behind Katalina. "There he is." I nervously pointed to him. He looked as if he was laughing, and he shook his head. 

"He was totally checking you out Katrina." Kat elbowed me. 

"No, he was checking you out. You're prettier." I shook my head. 

"Rina, we look exactly alike, first of all. And second of all, I'm wearing sweats, and a t-shirt. With no makeup either." She added on. 

She's making this hard for me. She's supposed to help me; hide me from him. But no, this year, I'm supposed to overcome my fears. Like that'll ever happen. I've had this particular fear for years now, it's incurable. 

"I'm going to home room." I rolled my eyes and left her. 

This year, my home room teacher will be the Chemistry teacher, Mr. Park. I sat at a seat next to the window, and laid my head down. Today has been so stressful for me.

"My name is Hoshi, by the way." 

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up slowly, and there he was, standing there above me. I laid my head back down slowly, hoping he wouldn't see me, but really, I was so visible. 

"Why are you so afraid of me? I don't bite." He chuckled, but I ignored him. I know if I say something back, I'll just embarrass myself. "Oh, so you're not talking to me, huh? You know it's rude to ignore a person when they're talking to you." So he's getting smart with me? 

I looked up shortly, and opened my mouth to say something, but Mr. Park interrupted me, and boy was I glad he did. I never did like "welcome back/here are the rules" speeches, but in this situation, I loved it. Trust me, I want to talk to Hoshi, but my fear won't allow it. I'll say something stupid, embarrass myself, and he will avoid me; I already know it. 

Soon, the bell rung, and I was out the door before Hoshi could say anything to me. AP English was my next class, and I was praying that he didn't have this class. I would literally kill myself if he did. 

"So, what happened? I saw that he had home room with you?" Katalina smirked. 

"Well, he told me his name was Hoshi..." She nodded for me to go on. "But I didn't say anything back-"

Then all of a sudden, I felt a sharp sting on my right cheek. Did she just do what I think she just did. 

"D-Did you just, slap me?" 

"Yes, I did. I was hoping that I would knock some sense into you. You are 18 years old Katrina, a now grown woman! And yet, you still haven't had your first kiss, just because of a stupid fear you had when you were six. Clearly, he's into you, take the opportunity while it's given Katrina. You're going to regret it if you don't." 

She's right. I don't want to be single my whole life. I just can't let some stupid fear take over my love life! Besides, I can't be rude to Hoshi, I wasn't raised like that. I need to be a woman, and talk to this ever so polite boy. 

No wonder why I love my sister; she's always changing my mind point for the good.

So after class, I went looking for Hoshi. I have a free period, so I didn't have to worry about being late for class. I found him quickly though, but I approached him warily. 

"Hi." He smiled at me. 

"What's your mom's name?" 

Did I just - wait no - did I just? Oh my God. I knew this would happen. I just knew it! This is why I never listen to my sister. She always works me up, and gets me excited about things, but I always end up embarrassing myself. 

He tilted his head, and I covered my mouth, tearing up. I shook my head and turned around, and walked away. I heard him call after me, but that just made me run away. I can't afford to embarrass myself even more. 

I ran out of the building and straight into my car. I groaned and hit the wheel, letting out all my stress an anger. 

Why is this so hard for me?! I'm freaking eighteen years old! I haven't even had my first kiss yet, just because of this stupid childhood fear. But Kat is right, I have to get over it; but really, I don't think I can get over what I said to Hoshi. He'll never want to speak to me again after that. I guess I have to prepare to be avoided. Not like I'll approach him anyway.