Letterhead

This Is Silence

"Where are you?" I shot. A prominent sound of rumbling and shouting on the other line could indicate that he was caught up with something. I have the phone in between my shoulders and my ear. Thinning my lips as I wait for his reply. "…Honey, I'm…" He exasperated in between the chaos. "…Are you wrestling with someone…where in the world are you?" I threw the letters on the kitchen counter as I held to the phone tighter, trying to hold back insults that could easily escape my lips. "…I'm at the court." He curses of what sounded like he tripped over something.

 

He came to sit on the bench and breathes heavily. "I won the case, but I don't feel like I won. Not that it's important…anyways, why you called?" He turns his attention to her.

 

"The will, Joonmyeon, are you serious…" I burst, "…I can't believe you forgot about this! I told you yesterday, and put an event on your calendar in your phone! Don't you dream of putting any of the Girls Generation as your wallpaper, ever again!"

 

Joonmyeon shuts his eyes in annoyance, "…It was Jessica and she's not in Girls Generation anymore."

 

"Whatever!" I shut him off and hung up. Forget lunch, he's ordering take outs. I've lost my appetite. How dare he got into an argument with me. And how could he forget when I put on reminders countless times. It was important to me. And I could have gone alone if I understand legal terms, but I counted on him, since he's a lawyer. Undependable .

 

I got into my grey knee length dress, and tied my hair into a bun. I didn't want my make up to look too heavy so I was sated with just mascara and lip tints. When I got out of the taxi, a man dashed beside me, in his GQ suit and by his back alone, I knew he was a lawyer. Those leather shoes weren't for commoners. It's the kind that costs more than a month salary of a teacher. I caught a glimpse of his brown leather wrist watch and he scratched the tip of his brows with his index finger. Panting for air, he gave an apologetic smile. I thought I knew that Tag Heuer Grand Carrera from somewhere. "…You were…This close to be an ex fiance, gawdammit." I put my index finger to my thumb narrow together, and dashes through the main door, as he held them open for me.

 

He didn't say anything in return, and just smiled.

 

"How did you get here so fast?" I asked him, while we wait for the lift. "Court was 4 blocks away. I got here as soon as you hang up." He explained, still sweating heavily. "I wasn't sure if I could finish the case before noon." You dug your hands into his back pocket, and glared at him, after successfully obtaining his phone, you muttered, "…That's what this is for." Joonmyeon smiled to himself at the thought of himself being inappropriately touched in an elevator.The lift's door opened to a mahogany themed office, with a women in her late 40s in the front desk. "Honey, my phone…" He whines from behind. "…I am confiscating this!" I roared. "We've been expecting you…," The women looked to the wall clock behind us, judging, "…twenty minutes ago."

 

I was ready to rumble. I was fuming with anger, and she'll be my next victim.

 

That was until Joonmyeon put his arm around my waist and covered my mouth with his hand. "…We'll make our own way then." Joonmyeon drives me towards the automated door, "…I'm going to release you, only if you promise you won't go back to that lady earlier to unleash your beastly nature. Okay?" He whispered in my ear. My protest died down, and when he is convinced that I'm harmless, he unwraps his arm from me. I pushed him away. "Idiot." I cursed at him. He breathes in deeply, with his eyes closed. Nothing is going to ruin his day, he had just won a very difficult case. Her arguments were moot, he thought. And you thought psychologists are gentle…

 

"Is the engagement still on?" A strong sudden question coming from a lawyer who had just met them two minutes ago.

 

"Yes""No"

 

He squinted his eyes, and fixed his glasses. Joonmyeon glares at me. "Well, for now…yes." I corrected myself. "Very well," he shuffled the papers in his hand as he reads silently, he continues, "…The validity of the will is based on the engagement. If the engagement is off, the money goes to charity, and if the engagement is on, the money still goes to charity." Well, that's absurd. What kind of condition is that?

 

Joonmyeon smiles meekly. "…What about the land in Oksunbong Village?" I leaned forward, urgently.

 

Father's lawyer, whom he mentioned, Mr. Song, held his index finger up, "…I'm not finished."

 

"Apartments in Songpa-gu, Seocho-gu respectively followed by Cheongdam-dong apartment goes to charity. Grandmother's car, in old Oksunbong Village, is for charity. The ship by the lake of her house is off to charity. Everything in grandmother's land and farm are for charity…Bicycles, tricycles, the swing set behind the house, the acrylic statues, garden gnomes, Mr. Snuggles, water hose, sprinklers…" Lawyer Song read on.

 

"…Is there anything that doesn't belong to the charity?" I impatiently asked.

 

Lawyer Song held his finger up once again, "…Yes."

 

This better be good. I hope it's his Chevrolet. "Kim Joonmyeon."

 

Wow. Dad had a great sense of humor. In fact, I didn't know he was capable of jokes. Apart from the bad daddy jokes. I didn't have to sign any paper, Joonmyeon did. Apparently, he wanted Joonmyeon's signature on the papers. He had no use of mine. Crossing my arm as I waited for him outside, he had smile plastered on his face as he came to me. "…Aren't you cold?" He asked. "I'm too angry to be cold." I darted. He hands me a letter, it was from dad. When I refuse to take them, he pokes my arm with it's sharp end, saying  "Only thing he left behind." Joonmyeon cooed.

 

I threw it away, so it lays abandoned on the dashboard of Joonmyeon's black Lexus. "Why…what." He scrambles to take them. He unfold it and saw nothing. Yes, nothing but a piece of letterhead written on top.

 

"Saeloeun Hwimang Hankyu. Where is that? A school? We have a school now?" I protested, grabbing the paper from his hand, while he was busy typing on his iPad. "It's a school for the deaf and mute, down in Songpa-gu district. I think I've been there once. Shall we go there?" He beamed a smile and jiggled his brows. "Fine, whatever. And the iPad's mine." He reluctantly hands them to me. As I swipe to unlock, Yoona's individual picture came out as wallpaper. "You're disgusting…" I muttered. "I'm being a man!" He protested with a stricken smile, "…The guys in the office has a lot worser photos in their phone. Would you rather have me keeping a man photos then?" Biting his lip.

 

"Off to the bins you go, Yoona." I sang.

 

We stopped at a junction where the lights were red. Joonmyeon shuts his eyes in agony. "…She's sitting with her legs spread, in a one-piece that looks like a diaper. And her cleavage is showing!" I argued. Joonmyeon didn't say anything in return, and just shook his head. "…Who else do you have in this? " I scrolled downwards and gasped at one picture, I hit him on the arm until he grunts in pain, "This is Ha Young of Apink!!" I showed him the picture, "… She's six years my junior!! You ert!" Slapping him to my heart's content. Even with him grunting, I didn't feel sated. None the less, we got where we intend to be. He rolls his sleeves up to his elbows and joined me, standing before the school.

 

It's written clearly, Saeloeun Hwimang. In English, it literally translates to: New Hope School.

 

Tacky and straight-forward. Like the old man himself. "What are you waiting for, let's greet them." Joonmyeon marched forward confidently. "…Wait! What do we say!" I held him back, but being a lady, it didn't halt him one bit. "…Yes?" A person from inside peeks. "…I'm Kim Joonmyeon and this is my fiancee. She's…"

 

############################

 

I stay seated quietly as I waited for the teas being served. Joonmyeon comfortably sips and replace his cup back to its saucer. "…We've survived on the money he kept aside for us ever since he left. But the money is running out, and soon, even the charity sales that children held will not help to keep the school. And two new students have just found home here. If we can't keep this house, these children have no where else to go." Caretaker in her mid 50s, known as Mdm. Moon has been working here since 1990. "No worries, you'll earn a lot from his wills." You blurted.

 

Joonmyeon nudged me by my arm, protesting. "…Why don't you become the director, Mdm. Moon?" He persuaded. But the old lady declined with a polite smile, "…I was planning to retire soon. I bought a cruise ship ticket around this year's December."

 

"A holiday…how nice…" I sang. My sarcasm only hit Joonmyeon.

 

Joonmyeon drove me home that night, like he always. "Are you going to be okay, walking up alone? You want me to park?" Collecting my things and stuffing them in my backpack, I ignore his gesture then I remembered. "Do I look like I'm 10? I'll manage." I muttered and opened the car door, kicking away my heels. "Aren't you forgetting something?" He blurted, hesitant in a way. I glared at him. "Your phone? He's staying over." I gave a smug smile and walked to the main entrance, where the guards stood up and held the door open for me. Joonmyeon roll down the car window, yelling from afar, "…I need it for work, baby, I'm not kidding!"

 

I stopped in my step, and turn into his direction. "…Well, you should have thought about that before you put any Kpop female idols on your wallpaper, moron!"


[Author's Note]

Who else is against any other Kpop female idols on their boyfie's phone... Seriously, get the ones that has her in full length dress not the ones in a baby-sized one-piece! 

"You put on Chanyeol's picture in your phone, and I didn't say nothin."

"Well Chanyeol wasn't showing off his , was he!"