A Totally Normal Day in EXODUS Bookstore

Bookstores are Magical Places

“I’m not really a book person.”
“That might be the most idiotic thing you’ve ever said to me” 
― Rainbow RowellFangirl

 

"Kyungsoo I have to run some errands" Minseok approached the big eyed boy behind the counter "So I’ll leave the store under your care, ok?

The boy nodded smiling reassuringly "Don't worry hyung, I'll take care of it"

Minseok stared at the boy. He felt guilty leaving Kyungsoo by himself in the store, well, Sehun and Jongdae were there too, but they don’t count as help. He had some emergency business to attend to and Joonmyun or Suho, as they often called their boss, said that it was ok for him to leave the store early today. He didn't want to leave Kyungsoo alone in the store, even if not many came and it wasn’t crowded with people.

Kyungsoo chuckled seeing the worried and conflicted look that his friend had plastered on his face, he looked like he was trying to make a life changing decision "Minseok, I’ll be fine by myself, the store isn't even full of clients, so relax and do what you have to do whilst I stay here'

Minseok opened his mouth to protest, but Kyungsoo was faster "Now go, I’ll be perfectly fine"

Kyungsoo watched as Minseok walked past the front door, with a grumpy expression on his face. He didn’t like the fact that his younger friend treated him like a kid. Kyungsoo just giggled at him, his hyung worried too much about too little.

The store had no movement in the morning Sundays or Saturdays either. Mostly because most people enjoyed their mornings outside and not inside a book's store. That’s why he liked his job, it was perfect. He loved books and quiet places and a tranquil book's store was perfect for him, besides; interesting things happened here, mostly due to his friends and co-workers: Oh Sehun, Kim Jongdae, Zhang Yixing, Kim Minseok and his boss Kim Joonmyun.

The book's store was called "EXODUS”, a strange name, huh? It means "Group of people that leave together to a certain place” Well, the name of the book's store is as normal as you’re going to get here. Joonmyun named that way because all of them (their small group of friends) fled their hometowns to study here in Seoul and after 4 years of studying English Literature, Joonmyun finally opened his beloved Book's store and of course, he included his longtime friends in the project. 

The sound of the doorbell called his attention. 

"Welcome to EXODUS, what can I do for you?"  The boy standing in front of him stared at him with a funny expression, as if he was...lost?

The tanned boy scratched his head in confusion "Eh...Hello"

Kyungsoo raised a questioning eyebrow at him "Hi" 

"Uh, I'm looking for Sehun, is he here?"

Kyungsoo nodded before jumping over the counter and moving towards the Comic's section where Sehun would be lying in a corner with several comics lying open around him. He found his friend exactly as he thought. His younger friend had his face buried inside a Marvel comic, Limited Edition. He seemed in complete concentration.

"Sehun someone is looking for you"

"Who?" Sehun didn't even look up, his face still in the comic.

Kyungsoo shrugged nonchalantly "He didn't tell his name"

Sehun tilted his head for a moment, looking at him, before smirking "Is he tanned?"  

"Yeah" 

"With a dumb expression his face, as if he was lost?" 

"Pretty much"

"Ah, must be Jongin"

Sehun stood up and dusted off his jeans, walking over to where Jongin was, but not before whispering to his comics "I'll be back". Kyungsoo tried not to laugh at him. Sehun always tried to look cool, but he was a closet nerd, really. He loved comics, Sci-Fi movies and other weird stuff. He even had Han Solo boxers and a lightsaber.

"Who's the tanned boy?" Jongdae's voice resounded through the hall

"A friend of Sehun" Kyungsoo answered nonchalantly (he was actually interested in the boy, he was handsome).

 "I didn't know he had friends?" Jongdae's eyebrows rose questioningly "Other than us"

Kyungsoo did as if he did not hear the last comment. Jongdae could be tactless and bold most of the time. His mouth has no filter. Not many people could handle Jongdae's sassiness or honesty, as he calls it.

"Have you seen Yixing?" Kyungsoo asked Jongdae, who signaled the second floor where they had the Cafe and event's room

Kyungsoo nodded and walk over to the second floor. His Chinese friend was nowhere in sight, but there was a fort made out of the Cafe's chairs and curtains rising in the middle of the room. Just what is that? 

"Yixing?" 

"Here!" Kyungsoo looked towards the fort, where the muffled voice came of

"Did you do this?" 

Yixing smiled, as if building forts in the middle of the second floor of a library was a common thing. "I was bored"

'Of course'

"Did you need anything?" 

Kyungsoo nodded "Yeah, I wanted you to go downstairs and arrange the Economy section, someone – I presume Jongdae—moved the books out of place" 

Yixing giggled "I will do"

Kyungsoo walk downstairs, still thinking about the fort. Although, knowing Yixing, it wasn't surprising. He's done worse things, like spending the night locked inside the Book's Store because he lost the keys to open the store. The next day, they find him sleeping on a sofa in the second floor. Turns out the keys were in his back pack the whole time. Since then, they made Yixing to carry his key as a necklace.

He went to the counter again, just to find the Jongin kid sitting in it, with a blank expression. Sehun was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey, where is Sehun?" He asked Jongin, looking around for the youngest of his friends

"With Luhan" Was the deadpanned response

Ah, that explains it all.

Lu Han or Luhan was Sehun 5 year’s long Chinese boyfriend. Sehun was whipped. If Luhan asked for anything, Sehun would make his wish come true, even if it means dying his head with multiple colors to look like a unicorn. They loved each other, it was nice to see them together, but Kyungsoo liked to stay away from hem during their make out sessions .Their relationship was cute. Sickly cute, like diabetes.

The Jongin kid turned to look at him and smile, a radiant smile, showing his white teeth. 'Damn, is he a model or something?'  

"My name is Kim Jongin" 

Kyungsoo smile back, probably looking ridiculous "I'm Do Kyungsoo"

"So you're friends with Sehun?" Great way to start a conversation Kyungsoo, way to go.

"Yeah, I met him in college" Jongin paused "We are taking the same Art Course"

"That's nice, I remember Sehun taking about how exiting his new class was" 

Jongin tilted his head with curiosity "And you, How did you met Sehun?"

Kyungsoo smiled. Memories of his childhood playing true his mind. A small Sehun crying because he fell of the swing (Jongdae had pushed him), then Joonmyun scolding an ever smiling Jongdae with an embarrassed Minseok and a lost looking Yixing beside him. He should thank Jongdae for pushing Sehun off the swing, after that violence act they became very good friends.

"I know him since we were in Kindergarten" 

Jongin look interested in his response. He smirked and moved closer to Kyungsoo. "Was he always like this?"

Kyungsoo stared at him confused "Like how?"

"Annoyingly rude" 

"Yep" Kyungsoo deadpanned. 

A very flustered Sehun appeared in before him with an equally flustered and disheveled Luhan in tow. "What you talking about?"

Kyungsoo shrugged, answering "Nothing much, just how rude you are"

"Hyung!" 

"Dongsaeng!" Mocked Kyungsoo, imitating the now pouting Sehun. 

"Luhan why don't you stand up for me?" Sehun chided ,turning to his boyfriend.

Luhan stared at him blankly and waved his hand in a nonchalant manner "Why would I?"

"You're my boyfriend!"

"And?"

"Stand up and handle it like a man" Luhan's face remained the same as Sehun gaped like a fish at his words and then huffed in annoyance. Not even his boyfriend stood up for him during an argument.

 

Jongin's presence became familiar the following weeks. Everyone in the store liked him. He was always cheerful and polite everyone, except with Sehun, he didn't deserved that privilege yet. Even Joonmyun met Jongin, and he liked the boy, but it was a fact that Kyungsoo liked the tanned boy more than everyone. He may not be aware of it, but the others were.

Today was a slow day, since it was Friday and most people spent their Friday nights outside, in bars or clubs, while the EXODUS boys spent their afternoons chatting and goofing around. Even if the bookstore was not packed with people, there was never a dull moment there. Later that night, the boys will meet at Joonmyun’s house, or more like mansion, and have a movie night, with lots of popcorn and bad action movies.

“Kyungsoo have you seen Sehun?”

The big eyed boy turned to Yixing, who’s eyes where wandering around the store, searching for the younger “No, have you tried the Sci-Fi isle?”

Yixing sighed, he was about to reply when Minseok spoke, keeping his gaze on the Culinary book he was reading. “The art of eating Baozi” was written across the front in bold Chinese characters. “I saw him the second floor, in the fort; he was dressed as a Jedi and had his light saber with him”

Yixing narrowed his eyes “In my fort?!”

“Yep” Minseok popped the ‘p’. Still not tearing his eyes from the book.  “He was threatening Jongdae with the light saber and calling him ‘useless potato’ “

“Hell no!” In the blink of an eye, Yixing was up in the stairs yelling “You bastard! Get out of my fort!”

Minseok, who finally stopped reading, turned to Kyungsoo with a glint in his eyes “Hey Kyung, do you think you can cook me some baozis?”

Kyungsoo eyed the book, inspecting the picture Minseok was pointing. It was a picture of a traditional Chinese breakfast, with baozis and several dishes. “Sure why not, how about you accompany tomorrow to the grocery store to buy the ingredients”

Minseok’s eyes glittered with anticipation “Thanks!”

Suddenly, Sehun’s red, flashing light saber appeared in view, flying towards them. Joonmyun, who was sitting along them, in the counter, shrieked like a banshee when he saw the red fury projectile coming to his direction. Thankfully, Joonmyun launched himself over the counter, successfully avoiding the red projectile.

Instinctively, all three of them looked up to the second floor. Something must be happening up there, but neither of them wanted to risk their lives by going up there. Nop, not today.

“Hey guys what’s with the red light saber?” Luhan, along with a very amused looking Jongin, came strolling through the door and pointed to the red thing that was all broken with the red lightning flashing intermittently, signaling it was damaged. “Isn’t that Sehun’s precious light saber?”

“I guess so” Answered Joonmyun, not even looking at it, fearing a second attack.

 

 

 

“What’s with the ruckus up here?” Jongdae demanded

The second floor was chaos, books everywhere, cushions and even curtains were scattered around. A very angry looking Sehun – was that a cape? – And a similar angry looking Yixing where standing in the middle of it all, each at an opposing side of the fort.

The mentioned boys seemed not to hear Jongdae’s question and continued the glare battle. He sighed, it was better and safer, to be down there than here, in the line of crossfire. He wasn’t going to die today and least by Sehun’s nerdy toys.

So he came down, where his life would not be at risk, at least, for now.

 

“So how did it go?” Luhan questioned Jongdae

Jongdae shrugged “Seems like they’re having the World War III along with a recreation of a Star War’s Jedi vs. the troopers. I do not wanna be in the front line; I’m too precious to die”

Kyungsoo couldn’t hold himself from snorting.

What a way to end the week.

 

 

Kyungsoo was ordering the parody and satiric section; cleaning the book’s covers and the dust from the shelves when Jongin decided to tag along and help him.

“Jongin can you pass me that book” Kyungsoo pointed to the top shelf. It was too high for him to reach and he didn’t know where Jongdae had hidden the mobile staircase(actually, now that Kyungsoo remembered, Joonmyun had confiscated it since the day Jongdae and Sehun tried to do a staircase race and successfully frightened many costumers).

Jongin raised his arm, reaching the book, which had the name “The Art of Being an ”, probably Jongdae’s favorite book and trapping Kyungsoo between his chest and the bookshelf.

Kyungsoo was so close to him that he could smell Jongin’s cologne and feel his hot breath in his neck. When he looked up, he met with a blushing Jongin, who instinctively titled his head a bit, to get a better look as Kyungsoo’s owl eyes.

They were so centimeters apart, the book long forgotten. Just a small movement and –

“So, have any of you read this book before?”

Jongdae, you are so dead.

Kyungsoo pulled away reluctantly, grabbing the book of a still blushing Jongin and hit Jongdae square in the face it with. Then proceeded to walk away scowling. Leaving disappointed looking Jongin behind.

 

 

 

“So what happened between you and Jongdae?” Minseok grimaced when he saw Kyungsoo angrily unload the new arrivals of Romance novels instead of his usual calm and caring way towards the books. So Minseok guessed this had something to do with Jongdae, it is always Jongdae who manages to angry Kyungsoo in such a short time.

“Jongdae interrupt my kiss with –“Kyungsoo realized what he was about to say so he quickly stopped himself from revealing, ‘the name’. He definitely didn’t want anyone else to know that he harbored feelings towards Jongin.

Minseok was interested in Kyungsoo’s words, so he pressed a little but more, hoping his grumpy friend will reveal him the name, but Kyungsoo merely shook his head and continued to angrily stock the books. Minseok felt bad for the inanimate objects.

“I interrupted his kiss with Jongin”

Minseok turned to the owner of the voice. Jongdae had a smug expression plastered on his face. Then he looked at Kyungsoo, who had a murderous look all over his face.

Yep, Jongdae was going to die today.

“Jongdae Run!” Minseok could only yelp at his soon dead friend.

“I guess that’s my queue” Jongdae, too seemed to realize about Kyungsoo’s expression because he sprinted away as fast as he came.

 

 

 

Joonmyun was casually walking through the shelves, re-stocking books out of place and making sure everything was nice and tidy. When a wheezing figure, looking much like Jongdae came past him, nearly knocking him of his feet. Followed by a terrifying cry.

“KIM ING JONGDAE”

Again Joonmyun was pushed again the shelves by the blazing figure of a very angry Kyungsoo holding many novels in his arms.

It seemed as if Kyungsoo was feeling very classic, because Joonmuyn was sure that he saw ‘Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet’ flying towards Jongdae, followed by ’Gone with the Wind’.

And there goes ‘Wuthering Heights’ too, nearly hitting Jongdae’s back, but still, none of the books got close enough to knock Jongdae(or to at least seriously injure him as Kyungsoo wanted)

Ironically, the one that finally hit the jackpot was ‘Little Women’. It hit Jongdae square in the face, successfully knocking him off.

Joonmyun was tempted to help him, but Kyungsoo looked really scary. He hadn’t seen him so mad since the day Sehun accidentally managed to wrinkle the pages of Kyungsoo’s favorite book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows signed by J.K Rowling). That day, was a very dark day for everyone.

Yeah, better to stay here, where I’m safe from Kyungsoo’s wrath.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was sitting on top of Jongdae, ready to hit him again with ‘Little Women’ tightly gripped in his hands.

“Kyungsoo?”

Jongdae recognized that voice “Oh hey Jongin, why don’t you lift your boyfriend off me, before he breaks my spine, and maybe my face too”

Kyungsoo’s mouth fell agape at the word ‘boyfriend’. He could feel himself blushing and tried to avoid eye contact with Jongin, who was staring at them, visibly confused at their situation.

Jongin smiled and grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand, the one which was twisting Jongdae’s arm and prompted him to let go, getting him off Jongdae’s back.

“We’re not boyfriends” grumbled Kyungsoo, starring at his feet

Jongin’s smile dropped, now he seemed like a beaten puppy, his lower lip trembling a bit and his eyes boring into Kyungsoo’s.

“We’re not?” Jongin’s voice was full of sadness

Kyungsoo opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He didn’t even noticed Jongin’s hand gripping his in a tight lock.

“But we almost kissed”

Jongin was pouting.

Pouting.

Kyungsoo couldn’t resist anymore and reached Jongin’s neck, kissing him. He was surprised at Jongin’s eager response.

“Will you be boyfriend?” Despite they just made out, Jongin looked shy to ask. His forehead connected with Kyungsoo. Both breathing heavily.

“You didn’t have to ask” Kyungsoo smiled at Jongin. He loved to see Jongin shy and flustered. He loved Jongin’s smiles and sweet touches.

“See, you did actually managed to kiss Jongin after all”

Thank God Kyungsoo kept ‘Little Women’ in his other hand.