Until Then

3 AM

 

Another sigh came out of my mouth as I turned off the television after the last late show on the channel. 

 

2:30 am

 

I am wide awake. Sleeping seems to be the best option but I can’t seem to bring myself to sleep. 

 

2:45 am

 

Fifteen minutes passed but I still cannot stop turning and tossing around my bed. 

 

3:00 am 

 

I can’t believe I’m still doing this. I grabbed my phone and search my phone book for that one name. 

 

'Kwon Jiyong'

 

I kept my phone close to my left ear as I listened to the other line ringing. 

 

2 rings 

3 rings

4 rings

 

No one answered but the pre-recorded voice from the answering machine.

 

"Hello! This is Kwon Jiyong, I’m busy as of the moment so if you have anything to say please leave a message after the beep. And oh if this is Dara, I’ll call you back asap. I love you. Beep." 

 

I heard the beeping sound but no words seem to come out of my mouth. The call ended, and though I have nothing to say, I refuse to give up. 

 

2 rings

3 rings

4 rings

 

 

"Hello! This is Kwon Jiyong, I’m busy as of the moment so if you have anything to say please leave a message after the beep. And oh if this is Dara, I’ll call you back asap. I love you. Beep "

 

2 rings

3 rings

4 rings

 

"Hello! This is Kwon Jiyong, I’m busy as of the moment so if you have anything to say please leave a message after the beep. And oh if this is Dara, I’ll call you back asap. I love you. Beep. "

 

 

3:30 am 

 

I called a few more times still getting the same thing. Maybe it was time to give up. Maybe it was time to let go. It has been 6 months since the last time there was someone who answered that damn phone. I can’t bring myself to give up just yet. There is still a faint hope inside my heart that one day I would call and someone would pick up. I was still waiting for that person to call me back as soon as possible as he promised. I was stuck. I was still waiting even though I knew it was beyond impossible. 

:

Without me noticing, tears started to fall down from my eyes. I am hopeless. 

 

I did not bother to dry my tears as I put my phone on my bedside table. I closed my eyes and vividly remember the things that happened.  

 

 

6 months ago. 

 

9:00 pm

 

“Will you Sandara Park, marry me?”with a Tiffany box on his hand, a knee down on the floor, and his heart on a platter, a man offered marriage to the woman who has been his world for 24 months. 

  

 

“Of course I will!” with tears in her eyes, Dara accepted everything that Jiyong has offered her. She was so happy. The kind of happiness that she never thought existed surge through her heart like fireworks. It was beyond. It was surreal. 

 

11:00 pm

 

With a ring on her left hand, she happily went to bed that night. Since she and Jiyong are both living on different homes she can’t seem to sleep with giddiness still running through her veins. She tried watching T.V but when the last show aired ended, she still can’t fall asleep. 

 

3:00 am

 

Her phone was vibrating on her bedside table, indicating that someone sent her a message. 

 

“Hey babe are you still awake? I can’t sleep.” with that message she immediately dialed Jiyong’s number and talked with him about things that they want to do when they are finally married. 

 

End of flashback

 

That was the last time I lived. I can clearly remember the pain, the tears, the heart ache. Until now I was asking myself why did it happen? Was I lacking? Did I not love him enough to be able to make him stay? Did I not gave my all to make our supposed to be forever possible?

 

I know this is crazy. This is beyond insanity. My friends are telling me to stop or they would get me medical help. Maybe that was what I really need. I am borderline crazy. 

 

Just who on earth would keep paying her dead fiance’s phone bills just to keep calling him at times she missed him, which would mean everyday. Just who on earth would repeatedly wait for the pre-recorded voice from the answering machine to speak just so she can hear his voice? Just who on earth would do that?

 

But how do you let go of something that is so perfect. How do you let go of something that was so close to being completely yours? Just how do you do that? I don’t know what to do anymore.

 

Yes. Maybe this is the time to let go. Maybe this is the moment that she need to be able to forget. Maybe this is time to change. But maybe a day will come when it wouldn’t hurt to hear his voice anymore. Maybe a day will come when she will be asleep by 3 am. 

 

Until then.