The Unwanted Commodity

Existentially Yours

Mark couldn't tell if the coffee Jackson served him was extra bitter, or if he was just feeling like the unsweetened morning beverage.  Regardless, Mark left Lola's in a haste after giving Jackson a 10% tip.

After gathering himself and making his way to the front door of the diner, he heard shouting behind him.  He quickly his heels, only to find Jackson speed walking to the front door, clutching Mark's satchel in his left hand.

"Hey!" Jackson's once cheerful voice was now placid, holding up the bag.  "I was gonna let you run off without this, considering the tip you gave me, but-"

"Thanks." Mark wasn't one to talk, Jackson handed over his bag and Mark clutched it to his chest.  Jackson wasn't as short as Mark had initially thought, and he now was able to see that he had a broad, nicely built frame about him. They stood facing each other, and Mark could have sworn he saw Jackson's cheeks warm to a pink color.

"Alright, well, I'll see you tomorrow then?" was Jackson's cheerful response, a wide smile stretched across his face.

Mark nodded, his cheeks flushing, embarrassed that Jackson probably thought of him socially inept (which wasn't too far from  the truth).  Jackson still stood in front of him, until Mark hiked his satchel onto his shoulder and waved him off.  Turning around, Mark just noticed the gleam of an earring on his right cartilage.  He most definitely would not be back tomorrow, and Mark hoped he didn't work on weekdays.


The train ride back was much more calming than the one into the city.  There were many more open seats and Mark was able to put his satchel in the seat next to him.  The one thing that Mark couldn't stop thinking about, along with the disappointing events of this morning, was Jackson's piercing.  Mark wasn't too startled by the fact that Jackson was probably gay, he knew lots of people that were, but considering that Jackson had tried to hit on him was a lot.  

Mark worried his bottom lip through his teeth the rest of the ride home, and when he got off the train his concern grew even more.

Walking from the station to his house wasn't much of a hike.  When he came upon the house with the red door and black lion knocker, he rummaged through his satchel for keys.  After the door was unlocked, he was greeted by his younger sister, Sarah, who was three years younger than himself.

Mark forced a smile in her direction and she only rolled her eyes.  "Why do you even go there every morning?"

Mark shrugged in response, not quite knowing himself, and even if he did know, his mind was too preoccupied to form a complete answer.  Unlike Mark, Sarah was bubbly and talkative.  She jumped into conversations with a leap of faith and always spoke what was on her mind.

"You went there for the girl didn't you." she smirked, hanging off of the stair banister, Mark only ignored her even further, regretting telling her any of his interest of the girl with the shoulder length hair.

"Is she cute?" 

After a pause of silence Mark spoke up, "She doesn't work there anymore."

"Well that ." Sarah huffed, "That old lady isn't back yet, right? She was cool."

Mark slipped off his shoes, closing the door behind him, "Hey, Sarah?"

"Mhm?"

"Can I ask you a weird question?"

"Mhm."

"Do I look...gay?"  

Sarah looked up at Mark from examining her nails. "Not any more than usual." 

Mark let out a long breath, opening his mouth to say something, but he quickly shut it.

"Did someone say you looked gay?" she inquired.

"Not...really."

"Did a guy ask you out?"

"No-"

"Then why are you so freaked out?"

Mark bit his bottom lip again, realizing that he really was worked up for no reason.  "Nah, I was just wondering," he paused, "there's this guy-"

"Is he cute?"

"Wha-? No! There's just this new guy at Lola's and I think he was trying to hit on me or something. I dunno."

"Oh." Sarah brought a finger up to her chin, tapping it thoughtfully, "Well, if you're not into guys than it's not a problem, but if he's cute you should go for it."

"Sarah."

"Right sorry, you're not gay."

Mark brushed off his sister's "words of encouragement" and pushed past her to head up stairs to his room, flopping down onto his bed.  It wasn't that big of a deal, plus, he didn't even know if Jackson was gay, the only proof was his flirty personality and a piece of jewelry.  False reasoning wasn't going to break Mark's tradition, and even if he was gay, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.