• final •

From Vancouver to Beijing.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From Vancouver to Beijing.

- just a phone call away.

 

     Walking by the Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School, millions of memories flooded her mind; her favorite history classes, boring and endless math lessons, seemingly easy but ended up being torturing psychology lectures, watching basketball practices till the late evenings every Wednesday and Friday, and last, but not least, one person, who used to mean really much to her and even now, with thousands of kilometers separating them and apparently eight years of not seeing each other, he still do. They didn’t start as neighborhood friends, nor were their families close, but the two of them somehow ended up being seatmates during junior and also senior high. They sometimes even called it fate and laughed at it together; they really enjoyed each other’s presence.

     The two of them were like brother and sister. Him being the tall, protective older brother, while she was the short baby sister, funny think it was, there was barely two months age difference between them. Everything in their life was passing just normally; going to school, her waiting for him at basketball practices, him waiting for her during additional economy classes, occasional study dates in local library, watching movies in cinema with friends; and they were more than happy with the way it was. Being best friends for five years was surely a beautiful period of their lives, at least for her it was, but with him turning sixteen, the dreamingly looking friendship, started to slowly but surely crumble down. He started to have secrets and from time to time even avoided her. She was angry, oh yes, she was, but most of all, she was hurt with him turning cold all of sudden. Little did she know, was him hurting just as much as her. Occasional missing days at school turned into weeks. She would always look at his chair, as if hoping he would suddenly appear. Three months passed and she started to think he suddenly returned back to China as that one time few years ago, but she was terribly wrong. He left for sure, not to China, but to South Korea to initiate career as a k-pop idol. At that time she understood, however that didn’t take away the anger and betrayal for keeping such a big secret and important decision to himself. On the other hand, she would be lying, if she said she wasn’t happy for him. She knew that despite his basketball achievements and the post as a captain of a school team, sport wasn’t the way he wanted to walk in the future. That’s why, after all, she still sent the little bit bittersweet but he knew that still encouraging message.

-  Good luck, you jerk.

- Thank you, Shortie.

       And that was the time Christine Meng knew, she just lost Kevin Wu, forever. Or at least that’s what she thought.

     She slightly shook her head, as if trying to erase all of the past and with soft sigh she continued her way to the small café approximately two blocks away. Christine ended her Bachelor’s degree three years ago, and after few failed entrance tests to Master’s degree she eventually decided not to continue in her studies. But there was one thing she didn’t give up on, her passion for coffee. Ever since being thirteen years old, Christine has started her mornings with a cup of fresh Americano, followed by Mocca and light Espresso during the day. Coffee has been her love for a long time, and now, being twenty-four years old, she is starting to fulfill her dream as a barista at café called ‘Cobe heaven’.

     Christine turned the knob of the front door and the small bell just above ranged as she stepped inside. Instantly the aroma of freshly roasted coffee berries invaded her nostrils and she smiled at the familiar scent floating in the air. Walking to the counter she took of her sunglasses and beamed happy ‘hello’ at Ashley, he co-worker.

     “You are here early today. Couldn’t wait, huh?” Ashley chuckled at her overjoyed friend and dodged the cloth used to wipe tables flying her way, when only few seconds ago it laid next to cash register, while hearing Christine mumbling ‘Shut up’. Two girls laughed at their childishness and Ashley pushed the short girl in the staff room to change into her uniform. “May as well help me, when you are already here.” she said and put few strands of her red hair back up as it fell out of her messy bun while walking to the already waiting customer.

     Few minutes later Christine hopped out and immediately started cleaning tables and collecting rubbish left there. “You are really crazy, you know?” she could hear from the distance. “Why do you think so, Ash?” “No sane person comes to work two and half hours earlier like it was the most common thing and even eventually start work when she is not paid for that.” from her peripheral view Christine could see her friend shaking head at her while responding. “It’s ok for me, I like it here. Besides, you should be thankful I am here, now you can leave earlier and go on the date with your French boyfriend, Jérôme was his name?” blond girl chirped teasingly which lead to empty plastic cup used for take-outs hitting her head from behind. “He is not my boyfriend!” Ashley angrily called from counter. “Yet, my dear friend. Yet.” She teased some more. “Oh, shut up you blonde hobbit and come here, I need to go to the washroom.”

     Christine walked to Ashley’s place and hummed some tune, there were probably only three or four customers at the moment and luckily, no one seemed to care about their small friendly cat fight just a minute ago. The soft ring indicating the opened door was heard and a middle aged mad came in. The glass door didn’t even closed properly when a large hand grabbed the knob a opened them again. Tall body stepped inside; black snapback covering his gaze. Strong charisma invaded the whole café and the air felt multiply thicker all of sudden. Was it just product of her mind or was is really a nostalgia she felt, petit girl didn’t know for sure, however one thing she could bet on, she better keep her guards up.

     It was like the time started to go in a slow motion, on the other hand, Christine’s breath started to quicker and a big lump settled in . She was scared. Not of the person himself, but of the rather familiar aura he was radiating. There was one more thing; Christine herself wasn’t sure, if she is prepared for her wildest imagination to come true. She tried to maintain her happy face and turned to two new customers who already made their way to the counter.

     “Welcome to Cobe heaven, what would you like to order?” she asked and mentally praised herself that she her voice didn’t break. “One iced Americano and one cinnamon latte.” “Name, please? We will call for you as soon as your orders will be ready.” forced smile appeared on her lips for the first time in a few years. “Chen for the latte and Kris for the Americano.” And with that she lost it. Tears started to slowly pool in her eyes and she blinked them away to at least be polite, customer is the boss here. “Thank you. Your orders will be done in a bit, for now just wait at one of the tables provided.” she said and quickly scribbled down the orders and names on the cups. Whipping the already falling tears she ran to the staff room to look for Ashley.

     “Something came up Ash! I’m really sorry, but can you take it for me today?” she whispered as she tried to hide her crying face. On the other hand the red head girl immediately sensed the rapid change in the blonde’s mood. “Hey! What’s wrong? You were all smiley just now? Yah! Wai-“ she didn’t get to finish as Christine already ran out.

    “Christine Meng, I really don’t get you sometimes.” said Ashley to herself and walked to the counter to finish the ordered coffee, which later on she took to its rightful owners.

     “I apologize for the short delay; something urgent came up with my friend so I finished your servings. Since you already waited for a longer while, I brought your orders personally. Please enjoy!” Ashley bowed her head a little as a display of respect for the customer. As she was about to leave, her eyes caught something oddly familiar on the tall guy sitting by the table. Snapback was neatly lying on the glass surface and his prominent, sharp features showing in all their glory. She coughed a little and asked.

     “I’m really sorry for interrupting, but do you, by any chance, know mo co-worker Christine, the one who just left? I may be mistaken, but you look really similar to her friend, whose photo with her is putted at her hand phone wallpaper. You just look older.” Yi Fan looked up at her with a raised eyebrow while throwing bit annoyed gaze and then returned to sipping his drink. “I guess not. Sorry for bothering you.” red haired girl mumbled softly.

     The tall man turned his attention back to his coffee, with straw in his mouth his thumb lazily swap across the plastic cup dewed due to ice inside; the level of black liquid slowly decreasing as he drank one gulp after another. At one moment, however, his whole body froze on the spot and many confusing thoughts overwhelmed his mind. He took double take; just to be sure his mind wasn’t playing tricks on him. But no, there it really was, in messy handwriting, as if the person was in hurry, stated the name he didn’t hear, nor saw in the connection with him in a long while and suddenly starting the rollercoaster of eight years old memories, written with black marker was the name Kevin. He was sure his manager wouldn’t say to the cashier this name since he didn’t know much about his past. For him there was only one possibility left; the coffee shop girl herself must have known him. Not as a fan, but someone more personal, since no other person would dare to call him by the name which connected to the history he once left behind here, at Vancouver.

     He quickly stood up, startling his manager and with fast steps approached the girl at the counter. Slamming his palms on the surface he asked the bit of frightened girl: “Who’s the other girl working here?” impatience evident in his voice. “The short blonde one you mean? That’s Christine.” The strange feeling tugging his heart only erupted to the sudden heart stop as the young woman in front of him said the whole name. “Meng Christine.”

     He stumblingly stepped back and before his manager could stop him, he was already sprinting out the door and down the road. Cursing himself for not recognizing his best friend; his little sister, his first love, when in fact she didn’t change at all besides the hair color; he ran even faster. Slowly losing his breath didn’t stop him from finding that one person who once cared for him more than for herself. Turning his probably fifth turn, he was starting to be desperate since he knew he was lost; eight years of absence in the town took its tax and he stopped in the middle of the road, right hand clutching his knee as he tried to catch his breath. The feeling of anxiety overtook him. He lost her, again; by his own stupidity, again.

     Groaning in depression Yi Fan ran his hand through his hair and though of the last possible way to reach her, to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter