Final

Who or What is That Creature

          The sky was clear but the dark patch of rapidly moving clouds had made the residents of Myeongdong scurry for their clothes on the clothes line. Every one of them rushed inside, except for this one girl, sitting on a bench by the roadside, staring into the distance. She had dark locks with stormy dark eyes. By the looks of her, she could be about 17 years of age.

          “Eunji!” she heard someone shouted. She glanced towards her house and saw her mother standing at the front door, calling for her. She heaved a sigh and ambled towards her mother and into the house. There were some luggages packed and arranged by the wall. She looked around and felt pain in her heart, a feeling that she had been fighting for days. She had been holding back tears all these days and now, on ‘the Day’, she couldn’t do it anymore – tears pour out of her eyes and she fell on her knees. Every memories that she had of the house and her childhood that she was going to leave behind were coming all at once back to her. The fact that her and her family was going to move hurts her so deep.

          However, she had to concur. She had to listen and just follow. When everything was arranged neatly in the trunk of the car, they headed towards a distant town Eunji had never heard of – Hyrulia. She had been expecting it to be somewhere underdeveloped and she didn’t like the idea of it. She slept the whole ride to the place. She just wanted to shut down, to disappear from the painful reality. She will miss her old home, old friends and everything that were tied to her old place.

          Arriving in Hyrulia, Eunji’s first impression of the place was “Wow!”. The vista of the place was so mesmerizing. The sky was clear. She could hear the birds chirping from the forest and the air was so fresh, she felt so healthy. It was so green. It was like she’s moving into nature. The house that she was moving into was bigger than her old house but she didn’t like it. It smelled new and it definitely didn’t feel warm and welcoming. Eunji chose a room upstairs that overlooked a forest that was a stone’s throw away from her house. The location of the house wasn’t exactly in an underdeveloped area. The city was just half an hour from the village. The village looked that way because it was so eco-friendly.

          They had friendly neighbours. They came to visit and Eunji put up a good impression to them, but all she wanted to do was lock herself in her room to mourn. She felt dead inside, like there was a piece of her missing.

          One day, her mother and father decided to visit the city so, she was left alone in that house. While she was mourning by her bedroom window, she had a glimpse of something flashy by the forest. She was sure that she saw a boy going inside the forest but, she could have mistaken it for rustling leaves affected by the wind. Still, she observed the forest. The forest didn’t look eerie or like, ‘Stay away from here or you’ll be devoured by beasts’ scary. Actually, it looked enchantingly serene.

          For an hour, Eunji eyeballed the forest and nothing happened. While observing the forest, curiosity builds up inside her. She knew she had to go into that forest. She felt like it was calling her, like there’s energy was pulling her. So, she sneaked out of her house and headed towards the enchanting forest. As she stepped inside it, a mesmerizing sight attacked her eyes. She had to take a moment to register the sight. She could see colourful butterflies flying around. There were bright colourful flowers on the floor of the forest. There was a small winding path big enough for one person to walk on. She followed the path. The air in the forest was so refreshing. Eunji felt like it was making her stronger. She felt strong, she felt happy.

          In the distance, Eunji heard a sound. It wasn’t loud or irritating. It was faint, like the sound of footsteps. It was getting louder. She knew that she was getting closer towards the source of the sound. And then there, right before her eyes, she saw a boy. He looked somewhere around her age, maybe older. His hair was black with dark brown highlights. It was swept across his face. She couldn’t tell what his eye colour was as he was looking the other way. He looked handsome but in an oddly manner. She took a step forward, and the boy heard her and glanced at her. He stared at Eunji which surprised her. He suddenly jerked at her like he was going to attack her. When he was so close to touching her, a bright white flash hit her. She felt herself crumpling down before falling unconscious. 

          A few moments passed, Eunji woke up to light drops of water on her nose. When she opened her eyes, she was on the floor of the forest, covered in sand. She got up and the boy wasn’t there. It was getting dark, so she rushed home. She knew the boy wasn’t human, “But, what was him?” Eunji thought. She would go into the forest again next time. Though, she had the feeling that she wasn’t going to be able to find that boy again.