Chapter 5: Lee Jinki's Family

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Hi everyone! Assa, time for celebration! I fulfilled my promise of a chapter worth of 2,000+ words. *throws confetti*

A hint for this chapter: we will be meeting Jinki's family! If you'll see the pictures, you'll notice something! Kekekeke.

Out of the 5 chapters I have written, this is my favorite. I think I really did a good job in writing this chapter. I personally enjoyed it so I hope that you will enjoy too. 

Give me some comments, guys. Constructive criticisms are always welcome. I'm an open-minded person. *winks*

Korean vocabularies

  • Adeul – Son. 
  • Aigoo – is an expression that can use on many instances like being shock, being tired, being surprised and etc.
  • Aish! – is an expression that is used to show frustration or irritation.
  • Ani – No (informal).
  • Annyeonghaseyo – Hello (formal).
  • Appa – Father (informal).
  • Arassoyo – Okay, alright (formal). (Arasso, informal)
  • Assa! – Yes!
  • Banmal – to speak informally.
  • Chukhahae! – Congratulations! (informal).
  • Dongsaeng – the term used to refer to a boy or a girl younger than you.
  • Eomma – Mother (informal).
  • Fighting! (Hwaiting!) – the term used to cheer yourself or cheer someone else.
  • Hoobae – Junior/ A student lower than you.
  • Hyung – the term used by Korean males to address another male older than them.
  • Jaljayo – Good night (formal).
  • Jalmokeutsumnida –  I ate well (formal).
  • Jinjja – really (informal).
  • Maknae – Youngest sister/brother.
  • Masisseoyo – Delicious (formal).
  • Meokja – Let’s eat (informal).
  • Mwo – What (informal).
  • Ne – Yes (formal).
  • Samgyupsal
  • Seonsaengnim - Teacher/ Professor (formal).
  • Sunbaedeul – Senior/ A student higher than you. (Sunbaeduel, plural)
  • Yah – Hey! (informal).
  • Yeobo – Darling/honey.

Chapter 5: Lee Jinki’s Family

Kim Jong Kook

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lee Jong Kook – Father

Easy – going

Always do his best to provide for his family

A good singer.

(Author's notes: Let's just say that Jinki inherited a little bit of his muscles, his eyes and his voice.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Song Ji Hyo – Mother

Loving and caring

Protective of Jinki

(Author's notes: Just imagine Ji Hyo as a little bit plump woman with a few wrinkles on her face.)

 

Lee Joong Ki – Brother

Easy – going

Treasures his brother

(Author's notes: Yeah, they do have some resemblance. Yes everyone, I am a running man fan and Song Joong Ki is my most favorite Korean Actor.) 

 

Chapter 5: Lee Jinki's Family

ONEW'S POV

*Kriiiinggggggggg!*

Finally, the signal for the end of the class rang. Almost every student inside the classroom heaved a sigh of relief.

“So, our lesson will end here. For all the freshmen, chukhahae on your first day in college. I hope every one of you lasts! Annyeong, class!” Kang seonsaengnim sniggered before finally leaving the room.

“That is not a good joke, sir!” One of the freshmen shouted.

The irregular students at the back of the room laughed at the freshman who shouted.

One of the irregular students patted the freshman’s head and said, “This is survival of the fittest, hoobae!”

The freshman was shocked and the only thing he could do was gulped in terror.

Before I could hear anymore scary comments, I quickly went out of the room.

“Wew, this is indeed college.” I wiped the imaginary sweat on my forehead.

I planned to head home but I could not stop myself from walking slowly and carefully observing the surroundings for I was hoping to see a certain girl. The five-minute walk turned into a fifteen minute walk but to my dismay, I did not saw her anywhere.

“I guess, she already went home.” I whispered dejectedly and just proceeded to the bus stop.

 


 

“Eomma, I am home!” I yelled as I enter our house.

“I am cooking here in the kitchen, adeul!” Eomma shouted back.

“Annyeonghaseyo, eomma. What are you cooking?” I kissed her on the cheek.

“Your appa told me to prepare samgyupsal because we need to celebrate our maknae’s first day in college.” She smiled at me proudly.

I frowned cutely at her and said, “Ne? Samgyupsal? What about chicken?”

“Aigoo, this old kid, of course I prepared your favorite dish. I will never forget it.” Eomma pinched my cheek.

“Assa, chicken for dinner!” I jumped.

Eomma laughed at my silliness. “Go inside your room and change. Your appa will arrive soon.”

“What about hyung, eomma? Is he already here?” I asked excitedly.

“Yeah, he is in his room.” Eomma replied.

“Arassoyo, I will now head to hyung’s room.” I run upstairs and found my one and only hyung sitting on his study table doing I don’t know what.

Joong Ki hyung is two years older than me. He is preparing to be a Surgeon. We are closer than most brothers, I think. We are alike in so many levels except in sports. He was smart and sporty during high school, so students labeled him as the brainy jock while I, on the other hand was labeled as his nerdy dongsaeng.

 


 

Flashback

I was in my first year of high school and my hyung was already in his third year.

Just like any ordinary day, I was cornered at the back of the school by three older students.

“Ya! Nerd! Where is your brother? Call him right now! How dare he create stories about me?! That imbecile!” The leader said furiously.

“Yeah, kid, call him to save your sorry or else, you will taste our leader’s wrath instead!” The leader’s right hand guy spat at me.

“Your hyung thinks highly of himself. He thinks he runs this school.” The left hand guy said angrily.

I was feeling scared and nervous. I knew that my brother will come and save me but I was afraid that he will be a bit late. I think the left hand guy will punch me any moment soon.

“Hey, were you looking for me?” I felt relieved when I heard my hyung’s voice.

“Hyung… what took you so long?” I whined at my brother.

Hyung came to my side and placed his arms on my shoulder. “Sorry, maknae-ah. I had to finish something.” Hyung said apologetically.

“Guys, why don’t you move aside? You are making my dongsaeng dizzy with all your filthy scent.” My hyung said with mock. I stopped myself from laughing.

“Mwo?!” The leader bellowed.

“Yah, did you just talk banmal to me? Did you forget that you’re just a second year student?” My hyung said with disdain.

The three students backed away immediately.

“Yeah, that is right! Why don’t you back away completely? Or else, I will make sure that you will be the number one topic on the bulletin board once again.” Hyung threatened.

“Huh, you’re just bluffing.” The left hand guy retorted.

“Jinjja? Choi Sooyoung is not the only one who shared your secrets. Do you want to know what Kwon Yu Ri told me?” Hyung said with a smirk.

The left hand guy was shocked. I guess, he knew what my hyung was referring to. He chose to shut his mouth. The leader looked at his left hand guy’s reaction and realized that he could not fight hyung right now.

“This is not yet finish! Come on, guys!” He glared at me then pulled his disciples away.

“We will welcome you anytime.” Hyung said while chuckling.

Hyung looked at me worriedly. “Are you okay, maknae-ah? Did they hurt you?”

“Ani hyung, you were just in time. Thanks for saving me.” I assured hyung.

“Anytime, maknae! Come on, let’s go home.” Hyung smiled at me then dragged me outside the school.

End of flashback.

 


 

I went inside his room and sat down on his bed. “Hyung, why didn’t you welcome me?” I whined.

“Maknae, can’t you see that I am busy?” Hyung said without looking at me.

“What are you doing anyways?” I asked.

“I am doing my report. This is due tomorrow.” He said.

“Hyung, I have so many things to tell you but I won’t do it unless you look at me. I made new friends, hyung but there was this one girl who made me so confused.” I grumbled.

My brother turned his head abruptly when he heard the word girl. “This better be good, maknae. Okay, spill!” Hyung’s eyes lit up.

“Huh, I knew I’d get you with that.” I laughed.

“Come on, maknae. SPILL!” Hyung insisted.

“Arassoyo hyung, just chill! I met a girl named Ba In.  She is also a freshman and she is taking Accountancy.” A groan that came from my hyung made me looked at him.

“What the hell, maknae. I don’t need that kind of information. I want physical attributes!” Hyung said exasperatedly.

“Joong Ki-ah, Jinki-ah, your appa is already here. Come down here. Meokja!” Eomma shouted from below.

“Aish!” Hyung grumbled and pointed at me. “We’ll talk about this later, maknae.” I just laughed it off.

We both stood up and came down the stairs.

 


 

“Uwaah, chicken masisseoyo. Jalmokeutsumnida, eomma!” I said happily. We just finished eating our dinner. 

“Aigoo, this grown up man. Yah, Jinki. If I knew that you weren’t going to eat the samgyupsal, I wouldn’t buy it in the first place. You eat chicken like a candy!” Appa scolded me while shaking his head. I pouted at him.

“Yeobo, just let him eat what he wants. He is still a child.” Eomma defended me. I grinned at her in return.

 “Yeobo, you spoil this child too much when it comes to food.” Appa replied calmly.

 “Yah, maknae-ah. It’s your turn to wash the dishes.” Hyung reminded me.

Appa always say that a husband should always think about his wife first. A man doesn’t just work for his family. He also needs to take care of his wife. In result, appa asked eomma to teach hyung and I all kinds of household chores so eomma wouldn’t tire herself so much. Yeah, so we can pretty much do anything related to household.

“Ne!” I stood up and collected all the dishes on the table then put it on the sink.

As soon as I started washing the dishes, appa asked hyung to make him and eomma a cup of coffee. So, we all remained in the kitchen.

“How’s your first day at college, Jinki?” Appa inquired.

“Well, it was scary at first because it was so different from high school. The seonsaengnimdeul and even the sunbaedeul are trying to threaten us about how difficult the subjects are.” I told them while still washing the dishes.

Appa and hyung laughed at me and eomma just looked at me with sympathy.

“You were scared?” Hyung asked teasingly.

“Yeah, hyung, at first I was but I found some friends that made me comfortable. I adjusted easily.” I said with a smile.

“Good for you, Jinki. I want to meet those friends of yours.” Eomma was suddenly excited at the thought of my friends visiting our house.

“Woah, eomma, not so fast. Can we talk about that visit after one month?” I persuaded her.

Eomma was hesitating when appa spoke, “Yeobo, Jinki is right. It’s too early for a visit. He just met those friends. We’re not even sure if he’ll stay friends with them.” Appa was also trying to persuade eomma. 

Actually, appa wasn’t right. I was planning to be friends with them but I wasn’t sure if Ba In and Hyo Jin were already treating me as their friend and if they do, I didn’t want them to feel pressured.

Eomma sighed then spoke, “Arasso.” All three of us, sighed in relief. There were times when eomma got too excited.

“It’s just that it’s been a long time since I heard Jinki talk about his friends. I was thrilled.” Eomma said sadly.

Hyung and I looked at each other with shock on our faces. I didn’t know how to comfort her. Eomma and appa didn’t know I was bullied because they never found me with bruises or with paint on my school uniform and those other kinds of things that bullies do. Hyung taught me the secret.

 


 

Flashback  

Hyung and I were inside his bedroom. He was sitting in his study chair and I was lying on his bed.

I looked at him and said, “Hyung, what am I going to do now that you are going to college?” I asked him worriedly.

“Maknae-ah, why are you thinking about that? You still have two months to enjoy before you can worry about that.” Hyung scolded me calmly.

“But hyung, I am scared. I can’t sleep at night when I think of school. I already thought of the things that will happen to me when the time for school comes.” I shivered when I remember the things that I imagined.

Hyung went to my side and sat on the bed. “Yah! You don’t trust me? Do you think I will leave you on your own?” Hyung looked at me sadly.

I gazed at him and I was shocked to see hurt in his eyes. My hyung was so emotional when it comes to my sake. “What are you talking about? I trust you, hyung.” I tried to convince him.

“Then, you should’ve known that I won’t let anything happen to you even if I am gone.” Hyung consoled me.

“Okay, I will tell you the secret but promise me that you’ll enjoy your vacation after this?” Hyung told me.

“I promise!” I swore.

“… and promise that you’ll only use this information when they bully you.” Hyung added.

“I promise you.” I swore again.

End of flashback.

 


 

Hyung told me all the dirty secrets that he knew about the potential bullies. I was stunned when I found out everything. From then on, I used those secrets to lure them away. I also tried my best to keep up with some other news, in case the secret I knew can’t scare them anymore. They always left me behind when I drop the bomb but those secrets didn’t stop them from making me an outcast. The people I call friends left me behind because they were so scared to get bullied. I was alone for a few years then everything changed when I met her but I don’t want to relish those memories because it soon became a bad memory.

I looked at hyung for some help and he understood it.

“Eomma what are you talking about? Jinki had some friends, remember Yonghwa? He brought him here, right?” Hyung said to save my .

“Yonghwa? I don’t remember him.” Eomma looked puzzled.

“Aigoo, eomma. I should buy you some milk that helps with your memory. You keep on forgetting things these days.” Hyung said while chuckling. I knew it was a distraction. I didn’t even know someone named Yonghwa.

“What are you talking about Joong Ki? Are you saying that I am already old?!” Eomma exclaimed.

“Yeobo, I also think that Joong Ki is right. We should buy you milk, not for your memory, but for your back. It will help your bones stay strong.” Appa said carefully, afraid to make eomma angry. He then looked at hyung and me, sensing that something was wrong.

“Oh, okay. I agree to that.” Eomma said, finally forgetting the real topic.

“Come on, yeobo. Let’s go to bed. Joong Ki needs to study and Jinki must be tired.” Appa urged.

“Right, I forgot. We’ll go to bed. Joong Ki, good luck with your report and Jin Ki, rest well. Good night uri adeul.” Eomma kissed our cheek and went up the stairs. Appa looked at us then followed eomma after.

After we made sure that eomma and appa was already in their room, hyung and I both suddenly slouched on the dining chair.

“Wew, I thought we were going to be caught. Thanks for the save, hyung.” I said finally able to breathe properly.

“I never thought that eomma felt that way.” Hyung said anxiously.

“Yeah, she must be worried for me all those years.” I sighed. I imagined eomma worrying for me to death just because I had no friends. I felt happy at the same time because the acceptance I never felt in school was fulfilled by my family. I was still a lucky person.

“Well, forget about that. Now that you have friends, eomma will be happy and speaking of friends, spill now maknae.” Hyung insisted. I laughed at the sudden change of topic.

“Well, what can I say? She’s pretty and innocent at the same time. She has a slim body and a fair complexion. Luckily, she’s shorter than me. The color of her eyes is brown. That’s unusual for Koreans, right? Her lips are pinkish but my major problem is, as what I have observed, she is independent. She doesn’t let others help her. Worse is, I think she’s a man-hater.” I dreamily said everything except the last two sentences.

“Yah, did you just rapped?” Hyung looked at me disgustingly. Hyung’s eyes widened when I chuckled at his remark.

“What? Why did you chuckle? Hyung asked, still looking at me incredulously.

“She also said that to me when I talked fast.” I said shyly.

“Uh-oh, you like her already.” Hyung teased me.

“Jinjjayo? I don’t know. She just makes me comfortable and giddy and confuse.” I said with honesty.

“Well, I need to meet this girl but before that, just enjoy your time with her. Get to know her more and let’s talk again some other time.” Hyung advised.

“Arassoyo. That’s what I am planning to do anyways.” I retorted.

Hyung pat my shoulder and said, “Let’s go up, maknae. Time for my report and time for your rest.”

“Ne! Good luck with your report, hyung. Fighting!” I cheered him. We both came up the stairs and went inside our respective rooms.

I lay on my bed and thought of Ba In. “I think this year will be memorable because of her. Jaljayo Ba In-ah.” I soon went to sleep. 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credits for the pictures go to the respective owners. :)