Chapter 7

The Warrior Inside

As I entered the library, my phone lit up and vibrated in my pocket. After turning off the vibrate and settling at a computer, I looked at my phone.

바로(Sunwoo): Are you okay?

I smiled a little.

신우(Shinwoo): Yeah I'm better. At the library.

바로(Baro): I told you to stay home.

신우(Shinwoo): I know, but there's something I need to do.

바로(Baro): Then be careful. Don't throw up again.

신우(Shinwoo): I'll try my best. :)

바로(Baro): I'm serious.

신우(Shinwoo): I know. Talk to you later.

바로(Baro): Bye.

I tucked my phone back in my pants pocket and the computer. For the next couple hours, I made numerous searches for anything related to the Human Dream article I read in the early morning. I was met with many Forbidden pages or dead links. I even tried to go back to the page I was able to see, but that link was no longer in the results. I tried searching different variations of the words, searching them in both English and Korean. When I got tired of finding unhelpful results, I changed my search query to information about AI, thinking the Human Dream Project might be mentioned. To my relief, I found numerous articles about AI and clicked on the first link. The page was a general information site explaining various types of AI and the theological and philosophical questions that come with it. After scanning through the sections and not finding anything related to the Human Dream Project, I sighed a little and leaned back in my chair. My stomach made some noises and I moved some hair off of my forehead. I’d been researching so intently that I completely forgot I didn’t eat anything before I left my apartment.

 

After deciding to take a break, I gathered my things and logged out of the computer. I eyed the secretary sitting at the main desk before the exit and walked up to it.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Yes?” She straightened up.

 

“Do you have any information about the “Human Dream” project?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

I repeated the phrase in Korean and she typed away at her computer.

 

“…I’m sorry sir. I don’t have any results regarding that query. Are you sure you’re saying it right?”

 

“Yes I’m sure.” I was starting to get really suspicious about the scarcity of this topic.

 

The secretary shook her head apologetically. “I’m sorry, I can’t help you.”

 

“Alright, thank you.” I bowed politely and made my way toward the exit.

 

 I went to the local café and ordered a sandwich and a chai latte. I ate and drank very quickly and finished both of them in less than five minutes. My mouth was burning a bit from the latte, but I didn’t care. I was relieved to get something into my stomach after it suffered so much this morning. And by this point I wasn’t dizzy or nauseous anymore.

 

Once I was out of the café, I walked down the street staring straight ahead in deep thought. Then my eyes wandered at some point and landed on a too-familiar spot, making me slow down and stop.

 

The same sewage gate I saw in my dream this morning was situated a couple feet in front of me to the side of the sidewalk. There was no extension organ or anything else lying around it. It was relatively clean.

 

My heart immediately sped up. It was like I was experiencing déjà vu, except the atmosphere around me was the complete opposite from my dream: bright, sunny, and bustling with people. My gaze slowly turned toward the apartment complex where the dark figure with the top hat was speaking to me. The entrance was closed off and had a big sign across the door that said “Do Not Enter”.

 

Now, I’m a college student. I follow all of the instructions and am honest throughout everything I’ve ever done.

 

But a tingling feeling in my chest was almost teasing me to go inside that door and check out the basement.

 

After taking in and letting out a deep breath, I made my way across the street and up to the closed door. I looked to my sides and behind me, then brought my hand to the knob. I had to push a little, but the door eventually creaked open and I slipped inside, trying to look professional.

 

The inside was very dark. The lights were dimmed greatly and most of the light came from the window at the end of the hallway. I didn’t hear a sound as I made my way toward the stairs leading to the basement. As I descended, the light disappeared more and more, making me feel a little nervous. I listened hard for any kind of movement or sound, hoping that I wouldn’t run into any kind of failed experiment that would try to attack me.

 

I finally reached the bottom and slowly leaned forward to check out the room. The lights were off and the sunlight poured in from the top. The shelves and surfaces were wiped clean but were very dusty. The same barber chair I saw in my dream was in the same place, but it too was empty and very tattered. As I walked closer, I noticed a machine next to the chair. A radio.

 

After looking at it for a second, I slowly moved my hand to the power button. After I pressed it, the radio lit up and started blasting static. I jumped back a little and quickly cranked down the volume knob. After catching my breath a little, I turned other knobs until the static faded and a male voice started to sound.

 

“—erious problem. Please…--ake caution…”

 

I quickly turned the volume up and soon the voice was coming in clearly.

 

“Everyone…--in your homes until this situation is taken care of. This monster is very dangerous and can most likely sense fear. This is what the world has come to: tampering with something we should not have touched in the first place. As I speak, the machine is being destroyed right now. It will never hurt another innocent soul again.”

 

A moment of silence took up the dialogue.

 

“W-wait a minute…my resources are telling me that the thing is making the scientists’ machines malfunction. It…it’s--!”

 

Suddenly the voice cut off and static faded in and out of the speakers. Then I heard another calmer voice.

 

“You’re rebellious.” The voice chuckled.

 

I blinked. That voice sounded familiar to me.

 

“Great job for finding me like this. Unless you’re dreaming, I can’t communicate with you unless it’s like this.”

 

I blinked again, realizing the voice was speaking to me. “H-huh?”

 

“Don’t be afraid. You’re doing a great job.”

 

My mouth hung open for a moment. I really didn’t know what to say.

 

“You’ve been trying to find information about the Human Dream, right?”

 

“…y-yeah.” My voice cracked a little and I cleared my throat.

 

“It’s a top secret case as you have noticed. When we meet face-to-face again, I will tell you more about it.”

 

“How…y-you know about it?”

 

“Yes I know about it. I know a lot about it.”

 

“Th-then why didn’t you tell me about it before?” I asked, slowly putting together that this was the figure with the top hat I spoke to in my dreams.

 

“I had limited time.”

 

“Hey! What are you doing here!?”

 

My head shot up and I turned to the basement entrance. A security guard was standing there.

 

“You’re not supposed to be in here. Didn’t you see the “Do Not Enter” sign?”

 

I quickly bowed. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t. I just had to check something.”

 

“No one is allowed in here. If you don’t leave right now, I’m pulling out my Taser.” The guard placed his hand above his pocket.

 

I quickly moved around him to run up the stairs.

 

Once I was back out in the street, I moved closer to my apartment complex and collapsed on one of the park benches.

 

What is going on...?

 

I shook my head and chuckled dryly. I must be going crazy…listening to figures in top hats who tell me what to do in my dreams and through radios…

 

At that moment, my phone vibrated and I slowly pulled it out to look at it. It was Jinyoung and he was asking me if I wanted to study with him.

 

My eyes widened. I completely forgot about our history final since yesterday morning. I quickly wrote back and asked him where we should meet. This would definitely take my mind off of all of this confusing mess I had gotten myself into.