Episode 1 Part D

Regrets

The dinner wasn’t as heartwarming as what Lek thought it should have been. Nobody talked or discussed about anything. Nopadon was mainly focused on eating and so was Malai. Wattana paid much attention on Lek the whole time. There were instances where Lek caught Wattana staring at him, probably to make sure that Lek wasn’t crying or anything related to crying since Lek was told to sleepover. When everybody finished their dinner, Wattana openly suggested Lek to go sleep with him in his bedroom. Lek hesitated, but didn’t want to say much, so he agreed hesitantly.

    Wattana dragged Lek upstairs into his bedroom, and then exclaimed, “This is my bedroom! Feel free to do anything you want.” The bedroom had a lot of space, and some of the space was taken up by lavished decorations. The white bed was nicely made, and the intricate carpet that was laid out in the bedroom was evenly centered in the middle of the room. Lek gave a gentle nod in response to Wattana’s statement, and then headed to the royal blue couch that was located in the corner across from the king sized bed. As Lek laid down on the couch, he told Wattana, “I’ll sleep here for the night. You can sleep on the bed.” Wattana expressed a confused face after Lek’s statement. He quickly went over to Lek, and grabbed Lek by the hand as he proclaimed, “No need to be so polite. You can sleep with me on my bed.” In a forceful manner, Wattana pulled Lek out of the couch, and then dragged him over to the bed. He then guided Lek to sit on the bed. “Khun Wat, this isn’t a pretty thing.” said Lek to Wattana who was staring at him nonstop. Wattana placed his hand on top of Lek’s shoulder, and then stated as he look deep into Lek’s eyes, “We’re both men. It’s not like I am a woman and you are man. Therefore, you shouldn’t have to care so much.” Lek calmly removed Wattana’s hands from his shoulder and replied, “I know that there shouldn’t be anything wrong with this. However, I am still a guest and you are the host. Therefore, I believe that I should sleep on the couch and be more respectful towards you.” Wattana smiled at Lek’s response. He plopped himself onto the bed next to Lek. “If that's the case, then you don’t have to worry about it at all. Please just sleep here with me on the bed na? I want to show that I care about my guest.” Again, Lek decided not to argue back, and just decided to agree hesitantly.   

    Lek laid on the right side of the bed, and Wattana laid on the left side of the bed. Both of them happened to still be awake even though the bedroom had no hint of light. Wattana bravely decided to test and see if Lek was asleep. “Lek, are you asleep?” Lek replied, “Not yet. You?” Wattana was satisfied with the answer. He immediately changed his position sideways so that his whole front side was facing Lek. Lek didn’t bother to change his position, he continued to lay flat on his back as he stared up towards the plain white ceiling. “No. I can’t sleep for some reason. It must be because of your kanoms. They were too good.” Lek let out a smile after the compliment. “Thank you krap.” said Lek to Wattana. Lek felt that Wattana had inched closer to him because of the sudden  movement of the bed at Wattana’s side. “What is keeping you up Lek? For me, it is your kanom. For you, it must be your mother I’m guessing.” Lek knew that what Wattana guessed was correct. He was up because he still had a bad feeling of leaving his mom home alone that night. However, Lek didn’t want to bring up his mom again, so he decided to bring up the family picture that he saw in the entrance room downstair. “The family picture that is hanging downstair, how long did it took the painter to finish it?” Lek could feel that Wattana changed his position again because of the movement of the bed. but this time, Lek wasn’t able to identify what position Wattana is in. “About the family picture, it took about 3 week for it to be completely finished since it was a masterpiece.” Wattana answered confidently. “Why, do you like it?” asked Wattana excitedly. “Yes, I like it. Its very a masterpiece.” replied Lek.

There was a moment of silence before Lek asked the question that he was curious about the painting. “If you don’t mind telling me, who is the young lady that stood with you in the picture? Is it perhaps your sister that I don’t know about?” Wattana’s face turned gloomy even though it went unnoticed by Lek. Wattana answered in a non-enthusiasm tone of voice, “She’s my fiance. Her name is Patcharin Kongpaisam, but we call her by Rin. We started out as childhood friend through the connection of our fathers. The elders saw that we played well together, so they decided to engage us together without questioning me or her when we were the age of 15.” Lek immediately reacted to the answer that Wattana explained with a displeased face. For an unknown cause, he resumed asking question about Wattana’s and Patcharin’s relationship with a hope that Wattana will answer that he doesn’t agree to the engagement. “Do you agree with this engagement that was settled by the elders?” Wattana answered hesitantly, “Nong Rin is a proper woman and a nice woman. She is well educated and comes from a prosperous family background. She is beautiful inside out. Because she exceeds in everything, I was super excited about our engagement. Now that we are engaged, I am anticipating for marriage that will probably happen as soon as she gets back from Austria, 8 years from now.” Lek was not expecting Wattana’s answer to be that he was happy about the arranged engagement since most people hated arranged relationships. Lek continued to ask questions about Patcharin because he was super curious about her.“8 years? Why so long? What is she doing in Austria?” Wattana became suspicious of Lek’s attitude towards Patcharin, therefore Wattana jokingly slapped Lek’s arm while he said, “Eh, don’t tell me that you fell in love with my fiance when you first glanced at her in the family photo?” Lek could see Wattana pointing fingers at Lek with a smile on. Lek decided to quickly reassure Wattana that he never had such thoughts towards Patcharin. It was just that he was curious about her, and that's all. Wattana was able to believe in Lek’s words, and then asked Lek in a solemn voice, “You must not fall for her though because I really love her.” Lek realized that Wattana was in a serious mood, therefore Lek solemnly answered, “Khun Wat, I promise you that I will not fall for her. I will even swear on my life that I will not fall for her.” Wattana was relieved by the response, and then conducted both of them to go back to sleep. That night, Lek and Wattana slept peacefully.