Wang-Gwan Academy

The Princes

Ascending the massive, extensive marble steps of South Korea's most elite high school of the arts and academics, Kibum was almost sure he would hurl right on these very steps. 

 
 
Looks like we're not in Kansas anymore... 
 

 

 
He had just arrived from his trip from Daegu to permanently live in Seoul. Wang-Gwan Academy was settled in the heart of Seoul dedicated to the financially and mentally gifted. Mozart prodigies and rising junior business men and women infested this campus. What was Kibum, you ask? Merely the son of an accredited surgeon in Daegu as well as Busan. Now, Kibum knew absolutely nothing about medical procedures or could play Beethoven's Fifth Symphony with his eyes closed like his mother, but he could make a mean jacket with accessories to match. 
 
      Ah yes, he adored fashion. He knew he had been viewed as feminine for doing so, but who said he couldn't be the next Jeremy Scott? Kibum was fairly decent in his studies or at least he thought if he passed the entrance exam with flying colors. So he stared at the massive polished, glass building scattered across campus with awe and slight mortification. It was a little disgusting how privileged the rich were. His one giant suitcase rolled behind him as he wandered aimlessly, the secretary had directed him to the boy's dormitories but to be frank all the buildings look way too similar to differentiate. 
 
"Okay where is this damn map-- Aha! Okay, let's see." he fished into his backpack and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He looked at it for about 10 seconds before some other student came bounding into him snatching the map right out his hands.
 
Kibum was right about to yell at said student he's stopped in mid-sentence. 
 
He also heard that a good chunk of the male students are incredibly good looking and he just ran into one of them. The kid was slender, but strangely aesthetically pleasing to look at. Hair darker than an inkwell, his skin was exactly the opposite. His completion gave off a partially fair glow. 
 
"I'm assuming you're new?"
 
"I'm sorry what." 
 
"Are you new?" the student laughed lightly. Kibum sheepishly nodded his head. 
 
The boy offered his hand for Kibum to shake and replied, "Awesome. I'm Lee Taemin, Senior Class Secretary. I figured you were the new kid. I read your transcripts when organizing you into a dorm."
 
"A-Ah, nice to meet you then. Say do you know where--"
 
"The dorms? I'll send it up for you. You should have breakfast here first before it ends. I wanna introduce you to someone anyways." Taemin grabs the suitcase and backpack off of Kibum and tosses it into a passing by trolley full of other bags. This place is like a hotel! 
 
    He followed Taemin in the complete opposite direction he was heading in. Kibum was starting to feel like more like an imposter in a pure white uniform than anything else. Truthfully he felt like a lost puppy following Taemin's every move but it couldn't be helped. The cafeteria building was basically a futuristic looking mall food court, illuminated signs saying "Salad Bar" and all. The cafeteria building had two floors: One was the ground floor and the other was the balcony that over saw into the ground floor. Taemin tugged Kibum along to the steps leading up to the balcony. To his understanding it seemed like the upper class men sat on the balcony as some sort of privilege. So he ends up at a round table not too far off from the dead center, but there's someone already sitting there. His long legs practically extend past the opposite side of the table. Taemin puts a hand on the hunched over figure's shoulder and snatches the text book the student has his nose buried into. 
 
"This... is Choi Minho. Up coming doctor hence the anatomy text book he was nearly being absorbed into. He's your roommate, you're welcome." the Choi kid lifts his doe like eyes off the table to meet Kibum's reluctantly. 
 
Oh man oh man he's really cute. God bless Taemin. 
 
Minho's body was slender, but built. His bone structure was enough to put one of Michelangelo's statues to shame ten fold. Kibum's cheeks dusted a light pink as he braved a wave. 
 
"I swear he's not this bitter all the time."
 
"No one is bitter here, but you know I need to study for my Junior Medical Associates exam." Minho clarifies only to be dismissed by the wave of a hand. 
 
Taemin puts the book under his arm and tugs Minho by the ear to one of the many food lines waving Kibum to follow as well ("Yah I told you not to tug my ear!"). They all grab silver lunch trays and head down to one of the many stations that Taemin picks. Kibum doesn't even know what they serve but when one of the female workers place the most deliciously expensive breakfast he has ever seen in his life he doesn't complain. Like seriously, who serves New York Cheesecake style pancakes with a side of pure pork bacon and freshly squeezed lemonade for breakfast at a school? 
 
"So let me see your schedule." Taemin puts his hand out after they take a seat back at the table. Kibum does so and watches as the other two scan over it.
 
"Sweet you have physics and Literature with me." Minho nods.
 
Taemin chimes in and hands back his schedule, "And Pre Calculous and AP Government and Politics with me!" 
 
What a relief, Kibum thought. It's bad enough transferring in the literal last year of high school with no friends. At least he got lucky that Taemin was nice enough to take him under his wing. In mid chew of his painfully expensive pancake shrill, girlish screams erupt nearly giving both Kibum and Minho a heart contusion and then some. 
 
"What the hell?" Kibum hacked on the lodged piece of fluffy goodness. Taemin pointed to the stairwell with his lips unfazed by it all. 
 
A literal stampede of girls in their white uniforms came in herds with their phones out. Kibum just watched in curiosity as the white mass dispersed a little bit to let out two male students cooly walking side by side. His sharp eyes zeroed in on the two male students as they approached the center. They seemed to float or glide across the floor looking so graceful for seventeen year old boys. 
 
The boy to the right had a strong, thick build. He wasn't nearly as thin as the other male students tended to be. However, his facial features were so soft and friendly that it made Kibum want to run up to him and hug him senseless. His eyes were dark, but warm and so inviting; his smile posed and even larger threat. 
 
But the boy next to him. That boy though. 
 
He was something to behold. 
 
His slightly wavy, ashy blonde hair nearly fell past his dark brows. The dramatic slopes in his eyes have them the appearance of a drooping effect making them look almost puppy like. Oh and his lips! Such a soft pink color and perfectly kissable. His sloping shoulders framed narrow hips and a wide chest. However, he was much shorter than the boy next to him, but that was a minor detail. 
 
Kibum remembered to close his mouth and cleared his throat, "W-Who are they?"
 
Taemin scoffed, "Wang-Gwan royalty. May I present real life princes Lee Jinki and Kim Jonghyun. They're seniors too, but their popularity started way before. They're absolutely perfect in every way or at least that's what the female students say." 
 
"You don't like them?"
 
"Nah," Taemin sets down his fork harshly with a clang, "I rather gauge my eyes out and then eat them than talking to them. They're absolutely rude and stuck up." 
 
Minho rolls his eyes and shakes his head, "Don't take his word for it. He had an issue with Jonghyun back sophomore year. They're actually really nice, just busy." 
 
Kibum looked back at the so called Princes, they were already seated and conversing like their picture wasn't being taken 10 times per second. He sighed, that Jonghyun guy was absolutely beautiful, but it seems like that wasn't a uncommon conception. He had a tendency for liking people he couldn't have and this time was just another one of those cases. 
 
"You're only defending them because you totally like Jinki!" Taemin pointed an accusing fork at the doe eyed giant. Minho looked utterly flabbergasted. 
 
"A-And?! I'm not allowed to like people?!" 
 
"Minho, you're gay?" Kibum asked curiously. 
 
Minho sighed, "Currently working on figuring it out. Girls are cute, but shīt happens."
 
 
••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• •••
 
 
"Okay are we just gonna lonely eat our food like mindless zombies while staring at them or is someone going to go over there?" Taemin finally broke the silence loudly setting down his glass. 
 
"I'll do it." Kibum responded without much thought. Minho raised a brow.
 
"Seriously? Well... Then the floor is yours. You have to tell us what they say okay?" Minho chewed and waved his fork around like some kind of wand. 
 
Kibum got up, straightened his uniform out, and took confident strides to the center of the cafeteria. But with each step he felt his sudden burst of confidence slowly diminish to nothing. Why did he think this was a good idea again? While agonizing in his head he had made it to the table and was already tapping the two of them on the shoulder before his mind really processed what he was doing. 
 
"H-Hey! Um, I'm Kibum the new transfer student. I just wanted to introduce myself since I don't know many people here. A-And you guys are?" his voice cracked a bit causing Kibum to cringe internally. 
 
 
Where's the nearest bridge so I can jump off it. 
 
 
The two beautiful boys exchanged glances before the one named Jinki spoke up first, "Lee Jinki and my friend here is Jonghyun. We didn't know we were getting a transfer student, but it's nice to meet you." 
 
Jonghyun didn't say anything, he merely dissected Kibum with his eyes the entire time. This caused Kibum to become awfully self conscious of his breathing and hand placement. His palms were growing a bit sweaty.... 
 
"Oh! Well, yeah I'm new-- Just moved from Daegu actually... Um I hope we can be friends?" he laughed nervously. Jinki smiled curtly desperately wanting Kibum to leave. 
 
Kibum quickly dashed out of there simply mortified. What was he thinking?! He totally made a fool of himself! He barely made it back the the table when Taemin and Minho bombarded him with questions, but he was too embarrassed to answer them fully. The image of Jonghyun staring at him like he was this grain of salt, totally not worth interest, made his heart hurt a bit. It was such a blank, uninterested stare that it greatly offended him. Jinki was at least nice enough to respond....
 
The warning bell rang and the students started to clean up their tables. When Kibum looked back at Jinki and Jonghyun's table they were already gone, table long abandoned.