Cinderella: Heal Your Sadness

Musical Inspiration

"It has been so long..."

Day or night, summer or winter, rain or shine, there is always work to be done. The floors must be polished, the windows shined, the piano dusted. It was a monotonous routine but one I rather liked regardless. This place was my escape as well as my cage. Some would call it a love/hate relationship but that isn't quite right. I don't hate my job, I never have, instead it is where I gather my best inspiration. 

In my dreams I saw you dancing...

I watch silently from my seat in the hall as the other girls twirled through the air, their limbs floating through the air with all the grace in the world. 

"It really has, hasn't it?"

I wanted nothing more than to join them. I wanted to dance beside them, to lose myself in the moment again. Even if just once more...

On the floating darkness of the moon's stage...

A sigh left my lips as rehersal ended and the dancing angels began to leave. I always thought of them as such, with their clean outfits, always dancing on their toes. 

The deep, deep wounds of your heart...Don't try to bear them one by one...

"No one is going to blame you..." 

Those words play over and over in my head. I wondered if that was true. Would thy really not blame me? Could I do what I so longed to do? My eyes wandered towards the lone pair of ballet flats resting on a wooden stool. The aching in my heart became unbearable.

"Just once more...It's been so very long..." I hadn't realized I'd said those words aloud until after the mop had been set aside and the shoes were strapped securly around my ankles. I looked down and felt a smile tug at the corners of my lips. "Hello old friends..."  

It is alright to be who you are...

I'm not sure how long I spent in that room, twirling 'round and 'round in dreamy circles. I had waited long enough to feel this again. It truly is exilerating when you have the chance to do what you love most. 

Let me listen to the lovely, fleeting melody...Soar high, you will discover a place that will even heal your sadness...

Inside a dark room, a window of sentiments is flowing...

"Build on your dreams."

I thought for a moment that I was dancing for an audience. 

Under the moonlight, you frantically engrave the rythm you desire...

"Build on your dreams." 

Faster and faster I spun, feeling the air move around me.

The reason you are the way you are...because you flap your wings. You search for answers that nobody else knows...

Memories of before came flowing back with each turn. I heard his voice calling out to me, encouraging me.

"Let me listen to the lovely, fleeting melodies... Soar high, you will discover a place that will even heal your sadness..."

I knew if others could see me in this moment they would have not a shadow of a doubt that this was my calling. I knew my eyes were shining with bliss. I thought I heard a voice behind me but I couldn't stop. 

"Let you dance away. Don't you know I'll stand by your side."

I was a bird who had been trapped in a cage and only just learned to fly again.

"Fly away, fly away, fly away, fly to the top...Fly forever..." 

My eyes caught sight of someone. So someone had been watching.

"Eternally, I will continue shining on you...I will watch over your beautiful future. Wherever you go, I continue to hope. I will protect you..."

It was the dance instructer, I thought he'd gone home already. 

"Let me listen to the radiating, lonely- maddening- and passionately sparkling sound..."

He didn't say anything, just handed me a uniform with the warmest smile I'd ever seen on any face. I was shocked but took it gently in both of my hands. My face lit up and I smiled genuinely up at him. 

"You are definetly not alone," he spoke. "Soar high until the end of life, this is the place where you belong." 

I never forgot those words, nor do I think I ever could. Now, ten years, later I stand on stage in front of a crowdd of thousands. I take a deep breath once the music begins and plunge into my dance. This is the cure to my sadness.