Final

Bloodlust

Confession time: I am absolutely fascinated with Myungyeol vampire AUs. They are just always amazing to me.

 

Therefore I had to write one.

 

And as usual, I had wayyyy more backstory than necessary.

 

Again, written for the InspiritsNet Prompt #2 on Tumblr: First Encounter.

 

May not be rated, but there is some cursing.


 

“Sungyeol-ah! Hurry up; we need to leave soon!”

 

The bespoken man turned his head towards the locked door of his personal room, making a slight shrug of his shoulders. Wordlessly, he turned back to the curtained windows, watching as the final rays of sunlight faded from beneath the fabric. Once the light disappeared, Sungyeol reached for the heavy fabric and parted them, revealing an inky mix of the black, night sky and leftover violet and pink hues from the sunset overtop the buildings in his view.

 

This was his start to the day; rising as the sun began its descent. Or at least, the times where Sungyeol could free himself from the covered windows and the confines of his family’s complex. However, the duties his family had as leaders of their clan would not allow him to walk this night in the way he wanted.

 

Moving away from the window, Sungyeol stood briefly in front of the mirror, glancing over his reflection one last time. His dark brown hair had been tousled by the hands of his younger brother, Sungjong, and a handful of gel, leaving it looking both soft and wavy, yet flowing. The dark leather of his pants clung to his lower body, with jacket outlining his broad chest. The jeweled ties along his shoulders glimmered with the jewels of his family’s colors, while holding up the iridescent cape along his back. Sungyeol thought the last accessory ridiculous, but Sungjong and Dongwoo had insisted, claiming that the cape asserted his position in their society-- Sungyeol felt no inclination to argue.

 

The kohl outline around his wide eyes completed his transformation. He did look every bit the vampire prince he was.

 

At another pounding at his door and Sungjong’s voice yelling his name, Sungyeol took one last glance out his windows and left his quarters.

 

~

 

The underground world was one of surprising order. The various supernatural beings ordered themselves according to clan structure, living in peace with each other in an alliance to keep their presence hidden from the humans. Of course, they had no qualms enjoying the pleasures of human life, to the point that the supernatural world had a growing hybrid population. However, purebloods of all clans found themselves holding the most power within their clans.

 

Among the clans, one of the most highly revered and respected was the Lee clan of vampires. Clan duties fell between the two heirs, Howon and Sungyeol. As the eldest, Howon took upon himself the politics of clan life, while Sungyeol enjoyed his quiet existence as the clan’s informant, historian, and overall brains behind clan operations. In fact, the only times (aside from his work) that Sungyeol was truly seen by others in the supernatural community was when he was dragged some ridiculous political function by Howon.

 

Sungyeol’s loathing of these events came from multiple avenues. Because of his clan position, Sungyeol had deep, intimate knowledge of the dirty secrets behind the smiles of the those he was forced to sip champagne and make small talk with. He also had to bear with a few spiteful glances from those who blamed him for their own misfortune in society, when all Sungyeol had done was report the facts. He loathed the politics and the fakeness of it all--mind games, he could play all day-- but the complete and utter lies... he was elated that Howon took that role for their family and played it well. And the final reasoning: Sungyeol just wasn’t interested in being there.

 

Most of these events were mindless showings of wealth and power between the clans, today’s event being no exception. A renowned vampire clan was returning to Korea after a living a few hundred years in Japan. Howon had explained the history of the event to Sungyeol, Dongwoo, and Sungjong after delivering news of the invitation-- Sungyeol really couldn’t be bothered to remember it. He just knew he was going to be paraded around for yet another night, gawked at and lusted over for his looks and coveted for his position.

 

Sungyeol had been dealing with the looks and the stares since his reveal into the supernatural community almost a century before. Howon and he were revealed in their society by their parents, a traditional “coming-of-age”, both as a way for the Lee clan to show off their heirs, as well as announce the young vampires as ready to take on mates. Since his reveal, Sungyeol began to truly loathe the grand parties and the various meetings between vampire clan leaders, all hoping to have their heirs be the ones to bond with one of the two young vampires.

 

Howon already threw off everyone’s expectations by mating with Dongwoo almost 80 years before. Jang Dongwoo had suddenly appeared whilst Howon had been trying to solve a political dilemma between two clans in Busan. The wild-eyed and bright smiled vampire was an orphan taken in by one of the feuding clan leaders. Once negotiations had been settled, a grand party was had to thank Howon for his presence and, of course, show off their wealth. Once the back-then, magenta-haired vampire entered the main ballroom of the party, Howon felt the overwhelming bloodlust consume him, and the rest was history.

 

That was yet another thing Sungyeol had yet to witness: true bloodlust. He was no stranger to the need for blood--- after all, it was innate for all vampires, but he could satisfy his desires by charming some human subject for his will or, if in a pinch (or having no desire to interact with those simple human creatures), he could drink from blood packs, popular in their society.

 

Regarding the matter of lust, Sungyeol could find what he needed if he so desired. There were no shortage of humans he could draw to him for a quick fling and no shortage of vampires either, all hoping that they could possibly turn that moment of lust to a true bloodlust.

 

Yet over 100 years since he had been into the supernatural society, and he still had never known what real bloodlust was. He knew the basic functions of it: uncontrollable desire for the subject, an unquenchable thirst for the other’s blood, inability to use his abilities to charm or even simply keep his fangs retracted, all leading to the need to blood share and complete the mating process.

 

Loathe as he was to admit it, he was a twinge jealous of Howon and Dongwoo’s relationship. Howon had not only found his eternal partner, but Sungyeol could see the overwhelming love and affection the two had for one another. This wasn’t just a desire for blood; he knew that his brother needed the orphan vampire and that they would either live or die together.

 

Sungyeol had come to the conclusion very recently actually; he was tired of being alone all the time, watching the sunset through his bedroom window. He wanted that connection to someone else, if anything to help alleviate the burden of all the clan secrets he had to harbor.

 

But 100 years later, that did not seem to be an option for the dark prince.

 

~   

 

Upon meeting Howon, Sungjong and Dongwoo outside his quarters, Sungyeol reluctantly followed behind as Howon lead their clan representatives to the grand ballroom across the city where the welcoming party was being held. The grand entryway to the ballroom only hinted at the wealth and grandeur of the setting, the lighting offset by crystal chandeliers, candlelight shining from multiple candelabras between the the chandelier settings. Tables lined with h'ordeuvres lined the walls of the massive ballroom, encouraging conversation in the center of the grand room.

 

Waiters paraded through the crowd, the trays in their hands holding glasses of champagne and wine. The Lee brothers all helped themselves to one glass each, Sungyeol and Sungjong trying to slink against the wall as much as possible. Howon, having been pulled into what appeared to be a political discussion, pulled Dongwoo with him into the crowd. Sungyeol recognized many of the figures as prominent members of clans in the more southern areas of Korea; he only knew because Howon had him do some reconnaissance on a few of the men within the circle a few months before. Sungyeol scoffed and proceeded to take a long drink from his glass.   

 

He glanced over at Sungjong, the younger slowly nursing the champagne flute in his hand. Sungyeol’s younger brother seemed to inherit his own curse of a lack of bloodlust, the younger having debuted 50 years back and remaining unmated, same as his older brother. Sungyeol thought Sungjong to be ethereally beautiful-- even more so than himself. Both brothers were blessed with porcelain soft skin, but the softness in Sungjong’s features made him look both feminine, yet unbelievably handsome. Sungjong’s wide eyes were even larger than Sungyeol’s own, shining a bright brown with flecks of the vampiric red which all vampires inherited. The younger had been feeling rebellious the past ten years, and was showing off his bright pink hair, shockingly making him look even more beautiful when paired with the dark leather and jewels of their family crest.  

 

“How does he look so comfortable?” Sungjong mused.

 

“Hmm?” Sungyeol snapped out of his own thoughts-- also, what was happening to his stomach right now? “What do you mean?”

 

“Howon-hyung,” Sungjong replied, still staring into the crowd at his older brother. “Dongwoo-hyung looks bored out of his mind, so you know that conversation is meaningless political talk. But Howon-hyung just looks so comfortable.”

 

“That’s why he does the politics,” Sungyeol replied, sipping from his glass once more, hoping a bit more alcohol could make his stomach quit fluttering. “If I were in that crowd right now, I’d be making the same faces as Dongwoo-hyung or worse. You’d last a little longer, but you can only smile for so long, Jongie… But Howon-hyung knows his role and he knows what he has to do for the clan.”

 

Sungjong cracked a small smile. “Are you saying I’m second string, when it comes to clan politics, hyung?”

 

Sungyeol let out a quick chuckle, allowing a small smile to grace his features-- only for his little brother would he smile at one of these. “Take it or leave it, Jongie. It’s the one thing you can outrank me on.”

 

Sungjong let out a full chuckle. “I guess I can’t complain then, Hyung,” the younger replied, draining his flute dry. Sungyeol did the same, as Sungjong quickly swept his eyes over the room. “We should at least try to mingle.”

 

Sungyeol groaned, straightening himself off the pillar he was leaning against. “Fine, but I need more wine,” he said, a snort from the younger being his reply. “Also, let’s pass one of those food tables. Something’s up with my stomach and the wine alone isn’t helping.”

 

Sungjong scanned his visage along Sungyeol’s figure, quickly glancing back up to his hyung’s face. He grabbed the taller’s chin, forcing their eyes to meet. “Sungyeol-hyung, why are your eyes so red?”

 

Sungyeol blinked, staring back at the younger blankly. “They are?”

 

Sungjong nodded, releasing his hold on the older, but stepping closer. “How long has it been since you’ve fed?” he whispered softly.

 

Sungyeol glanced to the floor, going through his past few days. “I fed at a club a few nights back while gathering some intel on the clan issues in the West, a couple blood packs since then,” he replied. “That usually lasts me for a week or so.”

 

Sungjong stood close, staring into his brother’s eyes. “Honestly, the last time I’ve seen your eyes like this was when you forgot feeding for 3 weeks because you were writing that history for the South clans 30 years ago. You sure you’re fine?”

 

“I swear, I am,” he replied. “Maybe it’s something with the lights. Let’s just get some food please; my stomach is swimming.”

 

The two brothers moved towards the nearest food table, bowing in faked-politeness to the many eyes watching their every move. They had hardly been there for half an hour and Sungyeol was already suffocating from the faked niceties surrounding him. It didn’t help that the farther they went into the room, the more his stomach twirled and twisted.

 

He ate a few bites of the food in front of him, finding no relief even with that and the addition of more wine. He put on a brave smile as Sungjong kept glancing back at the taller- Sungyeol knew the younger wasn’t buying that he was fine, but he really had no idea what was happening to him.

 

Howon and Dongwoo disentangled themselves from the crowd to join the two brothers. “Food!” Dongwoo exclaimed joyfully, stuffing a few puffed somethings into his mouth.

 

Howon scoffed. “Why am I mated to you again?”

 

Dongwoo jerked his head up, a glare trying to make its way to his features, only to be thwarted by his food-stuffed cheeks. “If I have to suffer through alliance talks, the least you can do is feed me,” he retorted, having chewed and swallowed enough to speak clearly.

 

Sungjong started laughing again, staring at the incredulous Dongwoo. “Hyung, your cheeks look as squishy as Sungyeol-hyung’s!”

 

All the other Lee clan brothers laughed, as Sungyeol brought his hands to his cheeks.”Leave my cheeks out of this!” he exclaimed in offense; only his brothers could get Sungyeol’s true personality out from behind the cool vampire-prince-facade he had. “I’ll have you know that there’s a line of people wanting to go for my cheeks!”

 

The other boys all laughed as Sungyeol ran his hand along the lines of his face-- a point? Wait, why were his fangs starting to reveal? He opened his mouth slightly, reaching his thumb inside to run along the line of his teeth, willing the jagged ends to retract.

 

Sungjong glanced over, noting the concentrated look on his hyung’s face. “Yeol-hyung? What are you doing?”

 

“My fangs are coming out for some reason,” he sighed, breathing deep as he felt the teeth finally start to dull back.

 

Dongwoo turned his attention to the taller now, Howon’s gaze following suit. “Sungyeol-ah, your eyes are glowing red,” the shorter noted.

 

“That’s what I said earlier!” Sungjong exclaimed. “He says he fed though.”

 

Howon looked over, concern finally seeping into his features. “Sungyeol-ah…”

 

“I swear, I’m fine, hyung!” the taller retorted. “I don’t know what’s going on. I had a blood pack last night; maybe it had been sitting too long. We know how Dongwoo-hyung is about cleaning the fridge.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“And your stomach, hyung?” Sungjong asked.

 

“What’s wrong with your stomach?” Howon asked directly to the taller.

 

“I don’t know; it’s just swimming right now. Maybe I need blood, not just human food,” Sungyeol replied defensively.

 

Howon looked ready to retort when a fanfare erupted at the other end of the hall. An older vampire made his way to the front of the crowd, raising his champagne flute, as he began speaking. Sungyeol turned away, disinterested in the typical spiel about the supernatural community coming together, staying strong in adversity, alliances remaining strong, blah blah blah… especially with how untrue Sungyeol knew most of the puffery to be.

 

Instead, Sungyeol chose to focus on whatever the hell his body was doing. His stomach continued to twist and turn, despite the food he had eaten. Considering that alcohol had little effect on the vampire, he knew that couldn’t be a factor. He was starting to feel his blood thirst kicking in-- his body was humming, making Sungyeol feel the warmth of his own blood flowing through him and he was fighting to keep his fangs retracted yet again. Considering that this was a vampire party, there had to be some way he could get a hold of a blood pack to calm his body down.

 

An elbow made its way into his side, forcing Sungyeol to look up into Howon’s eyes. “What?”

 

Howon stared back at the taller, unamused. “You’re not even trying to pay attention. Everyone can see you.”

 

“What does it matter?” Sungyeol retorted. “I’m the behind-the-scenes member of our clan anyway. Besides, give me two days and I’ll probably have the life story of these newbies.”

 

Howon groaned. “They’re not ‘newbies’, Sungyeol. The Kim clan has almost the same status in Japan as our clan does here. It’d be in our best interest to get along with them.”

 

Sungyeol crossed his arms, trying to show nonchalance-- , why did he feel like he was getting hotter? “Fine hyung; tell me more about our new besties.”

 

Howon placed his hand to Sungyeol’s right side, pivoting the taller slightly to the right. “Look ahead. The couple with the button-embellished collars.” Sungyeol hummed in recognition. “OK, the one with the high collar and smaller eyes; that’s Kim Sunggyu, heir of the Kim clan. The shorter one next to him with the long jacket and the cutoff sleeves is his mate, Nam Woohyun. From what I hear, they’ve been mated almost 70 years.”

 

Sungyeol glanced over at Howon. “They actually don’t look too bad.”

 

“See? Not every other vampire clan is terrible.”

 

“I’ll give you that,” Sungyeol sighed. “So, all this just to welcome two vampires? Not much of a clan there.”

 

Howon groaned. “You really don’t listen when I say this stuff, do you?” Sungyeol shrugged and Howon sighed. “Since they’re slowly moving the clan back from being overseas, not everyone is here yet. It’s just the three of them.”   

 

“Three? Where’s the last one?” Sungyeol asked, eyes beginning to sweep the crowd. For whatever reason, his body seemed to thrum even harder than it had been before-- , he needed to find that blood pack.

 

“The youngest, Kim Myungsoo. He’s Sunggyu’s related brother and, from what I hear, he’s the secret-keeper of their clan too, so you two should make friends,” Howon replied.

 

Sungyeol snorted. “Maybe. I have to meet this one first.”

 

“Well, hold on, I can’t-- finally! He’s over there!” Howon shifted the taller once more, turning Sungyeol to face the wall to his left. About fifteen feet away, Sungyeol locked onto who he could only assume was the elusive Kim Myungsoo.

 

, he’s hot.

 

If Sungyeol wanted to imagine the epitome of a vampire prince, he was staring right at it. The vampire in front of him was almost the same height, with midnight black, tousled hair. He wore a fitted black suit, with the jacket having only one half the full length sleeve, adorned with feathers at the shoulder, and a vest showing the embellishments of, what Sungyeol only guessed, was the Kim clan crest. The young vampire turned, noting Sungyeol’s gaze and met it straight on, a dimpled smirk thrown Sungyeol’s way.

 

, , , , ! The is happening to me?!

 

One gaze from the vampire and Sungyeol’s body felt completely lit aflame. He swallowed thickly, trying to alleviate the overwhelming thirst in his throat, to no avail. He was damn sure that his eyes were positively glowing red, just from the thirst he felt. And then, Sungyeol’s control completely wavered; he felt his fangs drop within his mouth, revealing their full length. He had never been more thankful to his genetics that he got their mother’s cheeks; thankfully no one could really tell that Sungyeol-- the mysterious and powerful Lee Sungyeol-- had lost complete control of his body.

 

And that could only mean one thing. He was in bloodlust-- for a vampire in a clan he had never even met before.

 

So he did the only rational thing he could possibly come up with-- spun on his heel and sped to the nearest corridor.

 

~

 

Sungyeol wandered down the corridor as far as he could, finally finding an alcove to duck into. He leaned against the back wall, huffing in frustration at the loss of control over his own body. He could feel the thrumming within himself settle slightly, but the thirst remained. Tightening his grip, Sungyeol felt the empty wine glass in his hand. Needing some release for his frustration, the vampire proceeded to hurl the glass at the nearest wall, shattering the china piece.

 

“Well, that’s not very hospitable to our hosts.”

 

Sungyeol rubbed his face in frustration and looked up into the last pair of dark eyes he wanted to see. Up-close, the younger Kim clan heir was even more stunning. His eyes, which looked like dark pools from afar, practically glowed a reddish haze over the dark brown of his irises. His sculptured features were even more flawless and Sungyeol had to concentrate far too much to keep his fangs just partially retracted.

 

Running a hand through his hair, Sungyeol groaned again. “Like I even give a about what these beings care for.”

 

Myungsoo smirked, a small chuckle coming through. “You really are like they say.”

 

Sungyeol let out a mirthless chuckle. “Ah yes, the many rumors about the elusive Lee Sungyeol.” He straightened his back to stand at his full height, looking humorlessly at the vampire in front of him. “I’ve heard so many fascinating stories about myself; wish I could have been privy to half of those events.”

 

“It’s good to know that someone else understands.”

 

“The glory of being clan informant,” Sungyeol sighed, looking off in the distance. His body was thrumming all over again, the thirst returning in full force. If Sungyeol didn’t leave this alcove soon, he knew he would no longer be able to resist his basic urge to indulge with the vampire in front of him, consensual or not. He glanced over briefly, catching Myungsoo’s dark gaze boring into him. “What?”

 

Myungsoo’s gaze didn’t waver from the taller. “Your eyes are fascinating.”

 

Sungyeol looked to the ground, trying to feign nonchalance. “I had a bad blood pack today. They’re not usually like this.”

 

“Huh, I didn’t know bad blood packs also caused fangs to drop.”

 

. Sungyeol had no idea how the other vampire even noticed it. He just remained silent as Myungsoo approached him by only a few steps. “Let me guess,” the other one cooed softly, closing in on Sungyeol’s ear. “Your bloodlust is just begging you to pin me against this wall, isn’t it?”

 

Sungyeol scoffed. “You have a nice face, but you’re not that attractive.”

 

“Your red eyes and fangs beg to differ,” the other challenged, slowly ghosting one hand along Sungyeol’s hip.

 

Sungyeol’s body burned at the touch. “How do you know I’m not just a starving vampire? Informants have the tendency of doing that to themselves.”

 

Myungsoo chuckled, a deep bass that Sungyeol could feel in his chest. “Maybe you are,” he replied, moving to push his nose against the taller’s neck. “But maybe I’m hoping for the other.” And with that, Sungyeol felt a wet warmth along the column of his neck.

 

This cocky, arrogant vampire has the audacity to him. Territorially. Like a mark.

 

But the warm muscles wasn’t the last thing Sungyeol felt. Two small sensations, one after the other… small pricks. Fangs.


He could only look down into the eyes of the vampire in front of him-- eyes glowing a bright, blood red.


I may consider revisting this storyline someday. I know I have the backstory for it.

There were just so many other stories begged to be told, it was hard to leave it at just the first encounter.

Leave some thoughts for me before you go! They definitely get my writing brain working. :)