Chapter 006

That Cliché Best Friend Story

That Cliché Best Friend Story ~ Chapter Six


Hi babies!

*Prays for self because chapter 6 is going to be a mess*

Chen, Suho told me that you had a lot to drink at the holiday party-

Pft! I’m completely sober.

Alright, can you tell the time? (Holds up her wrist) What time is-?

(Walks up to her watch) I’M SOBER. (Knocks out)

Okay…guess Chen is out for today hahaha. Hello guys, happy holidays and here is chapter 6!

---

DING DONG

Youngji scowled, the loud noise suddenly snapped her out of her day dream. “Who is it- Oh my!” She stared at the kitchen counter and saw the mess she had made. “Crap…”

Jackson opened the front door and peeked in. “Morning! Youngji! You murdered a cabbage!”

She looked at him and rolled her eyes. “1, its kimchi…2, what in the world are you doing here at 7 AM?”

Jackson took a seat. “I needed breakfast and my mom was not happy when I woke her up, what’s wrong with waking up 2 hours early?”

Youngji scoffed. “You woke your mom up at 5 in the morning to ask for breakfast?”

He nodded innocently.

“…” She shook her head and wiped up the counter. “What am I going to do with you?”

 

Twenty minutes later, Jackson was presented with a plateful of triangle rice balls. “How did you make these so fast?!”

Youngji grinned, satisfied with how it came out. “My classmates in Japan taught me, I taught them how to make dukbokki and they taught me this.” She took a bit and showed Jackson the inside. “This one has chicken!”

“I’m coming over more often.”

Youngji froze. “…No you’re not.”

“Yes I am.”

“Who allowed you?”

Jackson pointed to his rice ball. “Mr. Onigiri.”

Youngji laughed. “You’re so dumb…”

He grabbed a tissue and reached across the table to wipe away the grain of rice on her cheek. “You look dumb.”

 

Mrs. Heo stood by the living room with her arms crossed. “I’m pretty sure we can trust Jackson with our Youngji, no?”

Mr. Heo scratched his head. “He may seem like a civilized being now but I heard he becomes a barbarian once he enters the woods.”

Mrs. Heo chuckled. “Let’s hope our girl comes back in one piece.”

Mr. Heo sighed. “They look and act the same way…it’s like we’re watching 5 year old Youngji and Jackson again, except this time Youngji is more sassy and Jackson is…I have no words.”

Mrs. Heo laughed and shook her head as she approached the kids.

 

“I see you have breakfast taken care of.”

Youngji nodded. “Did you bring any snacks?” She looked at her best friend who was busy stuffing himself with kimchi and rice balls.

Jackson nodded and pointed to the suitcase by the door. “The duffle bag has my clothes while the suitcase is snacks.”

“You…brought a suitcase for snacks? Isn’t it just a few days?”

Jackson shook his head. “Oh no dude, you don’t even know what is about to go down in the jungle. I’m a man of the wild.”

Youngji rolled her eyes. “I bet you brought like a rice cooker or something.”

He looked at her with the straightest face. “…No-No but I brought a little canister and some matches so we can have ramen.”

She snorted and put her head down on the table. “Help me…”

Mr. Heo face palmed himself. “At least we know you’re going to get fed.”

“I brought a first aid kit, a telescope…a Polaroid, all good stuff.” Jackson insisted. “Don’t worry, I got you.”

 

BEEP BEEP

Jackson turned around. “The tour bus is here!”

Youngji stood up and slipped her shoes on before grabbing her pale pink duffle bag. “Bye mom!”

Jackson picked up one more rice-ball before running out with his stuff. “Bye Mrs. Heo!”

 

Youngji’s mother watched as the two walked down the street towards the tour bus. “Matching duffle bags?” She mumbled. She took notice of the design and figured that the only difference was that Youngji’s was pink. Then she saw the little check on the back and raised an eyebrow. “Nike does couple items now?”  

 

After signing in, the two took their seats in the middle and waved by to their parents. Jackson pressed his nose against the window and laughed before getting pried off by Youngji.

“That’s dirty!” She said as she pushed him away. “You’re in my territory!”

Jackson leaned over the armrest and squished her up against the window. “King Jackson is invading Youngji the loser!”

Youngji grabbed his cheeks and dragged him around. “You wanna mess with me?!”

 

The bus driver sat nearly 10 feet from them, he watched the two from the rearview mirror and sighed. Youngji and Jackson were the first to board the bus. “This is going to be one hell of a bus ride.”

 

It took four hours in total to get everyone on board and to get to the resort.

Mrs. Seo got her class to huddle around as she made announcements. “Our area is the ones marked down by blue cones; don’t go outside of the cones okay? You will should know your partners by now, the first task is so pitch a tent and to get settled down. After that, you are free for the night but don’t wander off. There are color coded flags in the woods and if you see a red flag, which means you are going too deep into the woods.” She explained. “All we’re going to do is pitch tents, make campfires with our groups and sleep early.” Mrs. Seo put her hands on her hips. “And for those of you who have partners who are the opposite , please don’t do anything weird.”

Jackson nudged Youngji. “She’s talking about us.”

She scoffed. “As if anyone would want to do anything with you!”

Hara chuckled quietly behind them.

“You make babies cry!”

Youngji looked at Jackson and wrinkled her nose. “When I walk past you all my hair rots and falls out!”

Mark snorted and covered his mouth.

Mrs. Seo laughed. “Aigoo! Best friends, am I right?!” She blew her whistle. “Get pitching!”

 

Youngji turned to Jackson as they were walking towards their spot. “Do you know how to pitch a tent?”

Jackson nodded. “Of course!”

Then she stood by their bags with her arms crossed as Jackson read the instruction manual, tangled with the rods and fabric.

Youngji sighed and put her duffle bag down. She walked over to Jackson and untangled him from the fabric. “Let me do it…”

Jackson rolled his eyes and got up. “There’s no way you can…”

 

*15 minutes later*

“…pitch a tent.” Jackson dropped the manual and gawked. “What the?!”

Youngji laughed and grabbed her duffle bag. “Let’s roll out the sleeping bags first.”

 

The two sat inside the roomy tent and settled down. Jackson began to stack his snacks up against one corner of the tent while Youngji hung up little lights.

Night came faster than expected and before they knew it, the four of them were sitting on logs huddled around a bonfire; Jackson, Youngji, Mark and Hara. Everyone was scattered around the woods in their own friend circles making smores and drinking instant hot chocolate.

“How long have you guys been friends?” Hara asked.

“Forever.” Youngji simply replied.

“Then she moved to Japan for a bit and we were long distance best friends until now.” Jackson explained. “It was so nice without her…”

She smacked his shoulder. “You missed me!”

Mark looked at the two and smiled. “You guys are so cute.”

Jackson nodded. “I know, I get that a lot.”

“That you guys are cute?”

“That I’m cute.”

Youngji scoffed. “You’re the ugliest thing I’ve seen in my entire life.”

Hara laughed. “That’s what my mom and dad say to each other and they’ve been married for 23 years, just saying.”

Mark nodded. “You guys are totally going to date, I give it three months.”

Hara looked at him. “Really? Be realistic, I say by the time we graduate.”

“Fine, 6 months.”

The two peas in a pod looked at each other. “We’d kill each other if we dated.”

Hara chuckled. “Right…”

 

The bonfire was interrupted by a loud whistle. “Take out your fires!”

 

Jackson frowned. “But I didn’t even get to eat any smores.” He said, eyeing the sad looking burnt piece of cracker on the floor.

Youngji handed him hers and took out the fire. “Eat mine.”

Mark just watched, amused. “You guys wanted to murder each other two minutes ago but okay…”

“And now you’re taking care of each other like-“

Jackson got up. “But you guys are also here finishing each other’s sentences, who’s going to get into a relationship first? I doubt it’s going to be watermelon head and me.”

“Mhm- Watermelon head?”

Jackson looked at Youngji. “Your hair is red, what is red? A watermelon!”

Hara and Mark walked away. “There they go again!”

 

Almost two hours later, Youngji laid stiffly in her sleeping bag. The bumpy floor of the woods was hard to sleep on, not to mention the dirt smell was weird. “Jackson?”

“Yeah?”

She turned to him. “I’m cold.”

Jackson shot up. “Cold?”

Youngji sat up in her sleeping bag and looked around. “We have the same amount of layers on, why am I so cold?” She mumbled.

Jackson ped his sleeping bag and pulled out a blanket.

“Oh my God.”

He laughed sheepishly before putting the wooly blanket over them. “Sleep tight.”

 

In the middle of the night, Youngji stirred in her sleep before rolling over onto Jackson’s side.

“Youngji you’re on my side.” He whispered.

Silence

He lifted up the blanket and noticed how she took up all of his space. “Youngji…”

Then he laid there in silence, she slept on his arm, what could he do?

“I’d wake you up but I don’t want you to unleash your wrath at 3 in the morning.” He whispered.

Silence

“Okay you wanna play hard?” He hugged the sausage that Youngji was and pulled her close, then he fixed the blanket before going back to sleep.

 

But he couldn’t, Jackson laid there without saying a word.

 

“Oh my? Why do I like this so much?” 


[a/n]: hey guys, Chen here...Ivy promised to let me do the outro if I have some hangover soup and I think I'm kinda okay now, anyway....

HA, IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THEYRE DOING SOME CUTESY 'SLEEP TOGETHER IN A TENT' THING, I BET JACKSONS GONNA PUSH HER OUT IN THE NEXT CHAPTER KNOWING ITS JACKSON HAHA- OH MY- NO LET ME TALK TO THEM- 

Comments are much appreciated guys!