Onew - Sight

The Five Senses of SHINee

Maybe it was the way he was slower than usual.

Perhaps, it was the look of frustration on his face.

Or it just could have been the way he sighed ever so often.

"Taeminnie-ah?"

He stops dancing to turn and look at me with a smile I knew all too well was fake.

"Neh?" He says to me.

"Rest. You're working too hard." I tell him, firmly.

"But, hyung--" I interrupt him by throwing a water bottle at him and patting him on the back.

As I lie on the floor and lean against the wall of our practice room, I hear him give one of those sighs I've heard all day.

I wait for him to come over and talk like I know he will. His face says it all. I can see he has something he wants to get off his chest.

After drinking some of his water, he does as I knew he would. He does something I didn't see, however--he lays his head on my shoulder.

"You're tired, Dongsaeng-ah." I smile as I ruffle his hair.

"Was I that obvious, hyung?"

"To just anyone you would be. But this your hyung here!"

I hear him chuckle a little as he closes his eyes. "You always know!"

"That's right." I say.

"How do you do it, hyung? How do you always see every little thing?" He takes his head off my shoulder to look at me and pouts. "It's creepy!"

"I guess you could say I have a good sense of sight? I don't know. Really, it's nothing special. I'm just observant. As leader, I have to be." I smile.

"Minho-hyung told me you sent him home to rest his ankle. He said he couldn't keep anything from you!" He says with a laugh.

"Aish! He was pretty mad at me." I fake a wince and Taemin laughs. "So tell me, Taeminnie, why do you always feel the need to work so hard? It's good but it's not healthy, either. Health is most important!"

"I know, I know. I'll be more careful, I promise."

I look at him for a few seconds before I speak. "There's something you want to talk about. What is it?"

He looks at me with a slight look of surprise before he focuses on the rosary beads around his wrist, turning and twisting them; a habit he has when he's nervous or deep in thought.

"Don't say anything if you don't want to." I tell him.

He leans his head on my shoulder once more as he sighs.

"Hyung, our last comeback--"

"When you sprained your back by falling?" I ask, as I winced at the memory.

"Neh. I was so scared something serious happened and I would never dance again. I realized the reason I got injured to begin with, was that I was lacking. I didn't work hard enough to begin with, that's why I got injured. I need to work harder."

I sigh as I ruffle his hair. "Listen, Donsaeng-ah. It wasn't your fault. It was accident. If you work too hard, you're asking for another injury. I don't want you to risk that. Instead of thinking your injury was sign for you to work harder, think of it as a sign to slow down. That's what I think it was."

I lift his head up so he can look at me, and I place my hands on his shoulder.

"Now I'm asking you this as a friend, as a brother, and most importantly, as your leader! Slow down and take it easy. All we ask of you is to stay healthy, safe, and to do your best. Doing your best already is your hardest! There's no need to practice overtime with a routine you could do with your hands tied behind your back. Arasseo?"

I see something in Taemin's eyes I rarely ever get to see: tears. I wipe the few that fell before the other tears come and give him the biggest smile I could muster. With that, Taemin smiles and nods his head.

"Neh, Jinki-hyung! Gomawo!"

I give him a hug before I leave the practice room looking for another Dongsaeng I haven't seen since the beginning of practice.

Maybe I'm psychic? The ability to see what goes on in my Dongsaengs minds can come off as, what they jokingly say: "creepy", or it could just be the fact I'm close to them.

Over the years, I made sure I've deserved the title of "leader". I made it a name for myself and I earned it. I'm proud that I can call them my Dongsaengs. I'm proud to be able to read them well and understand them. I'm proud to love them. I'm proud to be close.

For someone with poor eyesight, I can see them well. I can see their weaknesses, their strengths, their pain, their happiness, and their love.

Yes, I have a good sense of sight.

I see Kibum leaning against a wall, holding onto something. I think that "something" could only be one thing on this day. I knew he was off since the beginning of practice. A little sad, as well.

I walk over to him and give him a sad smile. "A picture of your grandmother?"

"Neh." He says as he looks up at me with a few tears in his eyes.

"Yah! Why are you here? You should be visiting her, neh? Go to Daegu and I don't want to see you until tomorrow!" I scold him with my hands on my hips.

Kibum wipes his eyes with his sleeves and gives me a smile. "Gomawo, hyung! But--"

"I'll tell Manager-hyung." I finish for him.

"Gomawo, hyung!"

"Why are you thanking me? Go, go!"

He laughs as I push him away and he walks off. I smile at him as my phone vibrates. I pull it out of my pocket and see a text from Jonghyun.

From: Jong-ah

Hyung, I just got done recording. On my way to practice!


I lean against a wall and quickly type in a reply.

To: Jong-ah

All right. But no talking! You just dance. I don't want you worsening your case of laryngitis. I already didn't want you to record today! -_-


My phone vibrates within a minute.

From: Jong-ah

But I was glad the recording went well ^^ Wait! How did you know about my little case of laryngitis? O.O


To: Jong-ah

Pabo! -_- Didn't you think I would notice? I could see you're discomfort with talking and you barely talked since a couple of days ago. Isn't that not normal for you? :P


From: Jong-ah

That's...that's...

To: Jong-ah

Creepy? ;)


From: Jong-ah

Yeah! xD

To: Jong-ah

I see and feel everything! *Evil laugh* ;)


From: Jong-ah

Okay, you need to stop! ^^"

To: Jong-ah

Kekeke! See you in a bit! :)


I put my phone away and start walking back to the practice room.

The thing is, I don't need good eyesight to see. I don't even need my eyes.

My good sense of sight comes from my heart.

 

 

*****************************************************************************************

 

Annyeong, everyone!

Thanks so much for your patience with me! I'm so, so, so, so, so sorry for taking long to begin this story! OTL

I feel this is lacking but I hope you like it ^^ My writing has been...meh. I just haven't felt like writing lately and I lost my passion. I had to gain it again.

Honestly, I thought about giving up on this story and starting one of the few others I'm working on. But I remembered the encouraging comments and my dear subscribers--that I didn't want to disappoint!

I don't have an excuse for not updating this sooner and keeping my promise...just that...I haven't been well (I'm still not) emotionally. But what better time to write a fic than to let those emotions out, right? ^^ So that's what I did.

Thanks for reading! I promise not to take so long with the next update!

Until next time!

<3 T4L