01/01

Loser

Tao came walking through the front door with his head hung low and his shoulders slumped. Kris looked over his laptop from his desk in the living room, his eyes peering over the frames of his glasses. He sensed something was up, but he knew Tao would talk about it if he felt comfortable doing so.

“Welcome home, Tao. How was school?”

Tao didn’t answer he just slumped down on his stomach on the couch, propping his chin onto his hands and he peered up cautiously at Kris who had returned to his typing.

“Kris…” he finally muttered after a deep breath. “Do you think I’m a loser?” Kris immediately stopped typing, took off his glasses and swiveled his chair so his body was facing Tao.

“Baby no. Why would I think you’re a loser?” He had no idea where Tao got such a thought.

“Because I am a loser. My friends and coworkers are better at everything than me. They all have more talents too. Luhan from work speaks Korean better than me. Baekhyun in my cosmetology class is better at makeup than I am. Kai and Sehun AND Yixing from dance classes are all better dancers than me. There’s nothing I can do that I’m better than my friends at. They all make me feel stupid and talentless. So that’s why I wondered if you thought I was a loser. I figured someone as flawless and amazing as you wouldn’t want to be with someone as boring as me.” The corners of Tao’s eyes watered up at his confession.

Kris could feel his heart breaking as his love confessed all his hurt feelings. He stood up and sat on the couch, pulling Tao into his lap and wrapping his arms protectively around his waist. “Tao, I love you. You know that.” He squeezed a little tighter. “How long has Luhan been in Korea?”

“Five year.” Tao mumbled into Kris’s shoulder where he hid his face.

“Exactly. And you’ve only been here two. So of course he’s bound to be better at speaking Korean. He’s been here longer. Don’t worry, you’re smart and you’re doing so fine with it already. So what if you mix up the words “emotion” and “potato” sometimes? It’s just a mistake. Plus it’s cute.” He started to tickle Tao’s sides a little bit. The younger wiggled in his lap and tried to stifle back a giggle.

“Stop it Kris-ge. I’m trying to be upset.” He said with a slip of a laugh and a playful hit to Kris’s chest.

“Alright alright. I’ll let you pout. But just for a little while longer while I’m talking. Now where was I. Ahh yes, Baekhyun from cosmetology classes. He’s not better than you, your makeup styles are just different. Someone may think your makeup is the best makeup they’ve ever seen while some else might think Baekhyun’s is. Doesn’t mean yours is bad. Just different.”

Tao pursed his lips. “I guess you’re right. But what about Kai and Sehun and Yixing. They’re all much better dancers than me. That’s a fact.”

Kris just shook his head. “No it’s not. It’s just like with Baekhyun. Different styles. You’ll find your groove. Maybe it’s not to one song, but your song will come around. I promise.”

Tao was starting to feel a little bit better. Kris was always good at comforting him when he needed it. And being as “in touch” with his emotions as he was, he needed it quite often. And Kris always provided it without hesitation or complaint for the past two years.

Tao had moved from China just two years ago to go to a school he had a full ride to. It was an arts college where he was majoring in makeup artistry and minoring in dance. He was sitting alone in the café that was just beside campus when Kris had walked in. Tao’s eyes immediately scanned the tall man up and down, before finally resting on his face. Kris had turned to go sit down after giving his order and had managed to lock eyes with Tao.

Kris just smirked and moved over to the small table Tao was sitting at. “Is anyone sitting here?” he asked before slightly pulling out the chair. Tao’s heart dropped at the gorgeous man standing in front of him that was talking to him, but unfortunately, knowing very little Korean, he had no idea what this man was asking.

He looked up nervously before managing to say “I’m sorry. I don’t speak much Korean.” In his native tongue. The man just started to chuckle and Tao blushed. Was he laughing at him because he wasn’t speaking Korean? Did he think he was weird? But much to his surprise the tall man sat down and spoke back to Tao in Chinese.

Tao’s head perked up at the familiar language and his eyes grew wide. “What did you just say?”

“I said, My name is Kris. I speak Chinese as well. What’s your name?”

The two men sat there in the café for closer to two hours learning all about one another. Tao learned Kris was studying at the same university, but was majoring in vocals and he was two years ahead of him. Kris eventually asked Tao out on a date before the later left, and since then it’s been nothing but uphill for them.

 

Tao had felt Kris brush his lips against his cheek and snapped him out of his daze. He sighed before speaking. “So you don’t think I’m a loser?”

“No never. What do I always say?” Tao buried his head back into Kris’s shoulder. “Zitao look at me.” Kris put his hand under tao’s chin and pulled him so he was looking directly into the older man’s eyes. “What do I always say?” he asked again, this time more gentle.

“Always strive to have the best.” Zitao answered slowly.

“Exactly. And that’s why I have you by my side. Because you’re the best. You’re very talented, gentle, loving, funny, smart, and very very handsome. Zitao  I think you are the greatest thing on this planet, don’t you ever forget that.” Kris leaned his forehead onto Tao’s and cupped his cheek before giving him a slow delicate kiss onto his lips.

 He pulled Tao up so he was standing and walked over to his laptop and fiddled around with it for a few seconds before slow soft music began playing from the speakers. He walked back over to Tao before bowing slightly. “May I have this dance?” he asked holding out a hand.

Tao blushed before taking Kris’s hand. He felt himself be pulled in closely and Kris’s other hand rested on his lower back. Kris sang the song quietly as the swayed to the music in their apartment living room. It was so simple yet so romantic and Tao was loving every second of it.

“Kris you’re so amazing. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” He whispered, careful not to ruin the mood.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you either. You are my life, and I love you so much baby.”

They danced along in the living room for a few songs more and Tao realized how lucky he was. He could never be considered a loser with such an amazing man in his life.