Goodbye

Goodbye

“I have to leave, I’m sorry.”

 

“But why?! Stop avoiding my questions!”


“Look! Hyeri, please, just let me go.” Jin pleaded.

 

Hyeri always hated arguing. She done her best to avoid getting into any argument, but sometimes its inevitable.

 

She hated arguing with her husband the most, though. It’s not pretty. When they fight, it isn’t a silly fight. It was a real, heart wrenching, suffocating fight.

 

“Did I do something wrong? Please, Jin, talk to me! Don’t leave me hanging like this!” she painfully cried.

 

“No, Hyeri, it’s nothing to do with you!” Jin wanted to run up to his weeping wife and hug her; and pat her head telling her it is never anything to do with her, it was always about him.

 

Jin grew up in a harsh environment. His family wasn’t rich, and living in a shabby, rundown house with very little food as everybody was preparing for the upcoming war, it was anything but nice. Day after day, weeks after weeks, it was survival of the fittest. At this point, people didn’t bother to play nice. It was either you give me what you’ve got to supply for my family, or I take it from you physically.

 

His family was also falling apart day by day; as he had no choice but to listen to his mother brutally get beaten while him and his little sister hid from the man he called his father, covering his little sister’s ears as she bawled her eyes out from fear; he - at the age of 8 swore to protect as many people as he could from then on.

 

Thus, birthed his dream job of becoming a soldier. He wanted to protect his country and people from harsh threats, saving broken families, and freeing people who were captured for the wrong reason. He was inspired and amazed at the bravery of the men who sacrificed their lives for the better good of the country.

 

He wanted nothing but peace in the world.

 

But he fine rightly knew, peace is no longer a thing in the world.

 

Although Hyeri admired Jin’s views and life goals, she was too selfish to let him go.

 

She couldn’t bare waking up at the break of dawn just to hear her loving husband had passed away. She couldn’t even think about it; it pained her to do so.

 

Every time the thought came across her mind, she would end up crying.

 

She needed Jin. She wanted him. He was her happy pill, her sun, her life. Without him, there was no her.

 

 

✦✦

 

 

Death is inevitable. Everyone and everything that existed, who lived, who has a life, had to go through the most dreaded part of life.

 

Jin always knew she hated the thought of dying. Even hearing a kid from another country passing, she would end up in an emotional wreck.

 

But he knew, he had a feeling, that when she cried the hardest over what she says is ‘silly and nothing’, he knew it was about him going to war.

 

Jin had told her plenty of times, and he knew she wanted the best for him, but couldn’t help but enrage when she said no, don’t go.

 

“It’s about war, isn’t it...” uneasy silence settled in the air as all the married couple stared in each others eyes. “Jin-”

 

“Hyeri please, you know my dreams of becoming a soldier. Hyeri please, I promise I’ll become one of the best and end this war quickly so we can live better lives!” Jin grabbed ahold of Hyeri’s arms and pulled her close.

 

“I know it’s your dream, and I’m so proud of you for having such a wonderful dream, but honey think about me, what about me?” Hyeri’s sobs have calmed down and only tears were coming out.

 

For love, or for his dreams?

 

He seen it coming. For the love of his life, or the safety of his country?

 

“Honey please, I’ll be back before you know it, I promise, please.”

 

Eventually, Hyeri gave in.

 

She pulled Jin closer and gave him a long lasting kiss. A kiss where he could taste the fear, the saltiness of her precious tears, the amount love she had for him.

 

“Come back safely, come back in one piece. You better keep your promise Kim Seokjin, or I swear you will really face death,” Hyeri aggressively whispered. “Come back to me. Come back to us,” her voice barely audible, but being that close to her, Jin picked up everything.

 

“Us?” Jin gasped. Hyeri avoiding all eye contact with her husband

 

“I’m pregnant, Jin. I’m sorry for not telling you before and having to tell you abruptly.” She softly smiled but still choked on her tears. Jin was speechless, but definitely feeling a lot more determined now.

 

“I”m so happy,” Jin breathed. He was too overwhelmed with feelings to even patch together a coherent sentence.

 

They stood in silence as they shared their last moment together. Their foreheads against each other, with arms wrapped securely around their petite waists.

 

“I love you so much, Hyeri.”

 

“Not even words can describe how much I love you, Jin.” Her voice wavered. “Now go, be a hero for all of us before I regret letting you go.” She joked as she sniffled and wiped her eyes.

 

“Goodbye, my love.” He stared into her teary crystal eyes before giving her one last affectionate  kiss. He turned, and exited the house.

 

“I love you! Don’t forget that! Come home soon, honey!” She shouted as she watched the man she would die for enter a car and speed off.

“I love you so much... it hurts.”