Deception

Frail
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


It's because I'm stupid that things like this happen so damn often. I'm nothing but a dumb little girl who can't do anything right. Crying, running, being stupid; that's all I'll ever be good at. Ever since Mom died, nothing I do seems to ever be right in his eyes. Nothing I did was ever right in her eyes either, but at least when she was around, it never resulted in a new bruise every morning. But what can I do when I have no other choice but to endure it? 

"I have to go to the library." Using the coffee table to help me stand up, I wipe the blood off of my knee and dust myself off before turning my back.

"Where do you think you're going?! I'm not done with you, baby girl. Let's play tonight."

Baby girl; I hate that name. It sends shivers down my spine every damn time those words slither from his lips. I first heard it years ago, when we lost my mother. I was stupid to think that he would call me that out of affection. That night still haunts me after all this time, every time I see his face. Those eyes, that look, those hands. I hate everything about him. It disgusts me to be breathing the same air as him. 

"I said, where do you think you're going?!?" It stings. The way he was grabbing my wrist hurt like hell, but there was no way I was staying here tonight.

"Out." A slap to the face made him let go.

I'm surprised that nothing fell from its place with the force he used to trap me between him and the wall. The first time it happened, I was scared. The second, I cried. The third, I screamed. But after so many times, I'd learned that doing all that did nothing but waste my efforts.

"A friend is expecting me. If I'm late, it'll be suspicious." I said, thinking of any excuse I could to get away from him as the poison on his breath entered by scents.

"You think I'm stupid? There's a storm out there, baby girl. You're not going anywhere tonight."

It was with a loud clap of thunder that the lights gave away. Seeing this as my chance, I pushed him away with whatever strength I had left and darted for the door. I heard him mumbling something as he scrambled in the darkness as I slammed the door shut behind me. I knew it was impossible, but I wished that somehow, by some force, he would never escape that darkness. I hoped that he would never drag me there again.

But who was I kidding?

Running down the hall to the stairs, I mentally cursed myself as I tried to make my way down without aggravating my knee anymore that it already was.

The storm was in a steadily heavy state, but what was a storm compared to the monster back inside? Holding my sweater closer to my body, I ran again. I knew exactly where I was running to. It was the only place in this whole, wretched world that I felt safe. My feet knew the way without even thinking about it.

In three more steps, I'll turn to the right. Get to the end of the block, turn left. Follow the streets until you reach the pharmacy, turn left again.

Walk past three buildings, and you'll find it.

It was a magnificent building. Judging by the condition of my building, you would not have even guessed that this place was this close.

Knowing that being out in this rain any longer would not result in favorable outcomes, I ran towards the front doors. As soon as I set foot inside, a blanket of warmth fell over me as I was met with the bright lights of the luxurious room. I wasn't surprised that everything was still up and running here; this is a Junseol building after all.

Junseol Inc. was one of Seoul's top businesses, specializing in buildings like this. Their goal was to provide only the best to its consumers, while striving to beat its competitors using ethical methods. Junseol prided itself on Song Junheon, the man who had started the company from the ground up almost 25 years ago. Mr. Song not only ran the company, but he always went directly to the sites to ensure that everything was of the best quality that it could be.

After all, they'd only use the best, by the best, and for the best.

So why was a piece of trash like me here?

My answer is simple: I had nowhere else I could go; nowhere else I'd want to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter