008

도망자 : 플랜 X (Fugitives : Plan X)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere in the office was thick with tension. Jungmi knew they wanted an answer. She could felt Namjoon's gaze on her. Actually, they all were. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Yoongi with his arms crossed in front of his chest. Occasional sounds of sniffling could be heard coming from the short red-haired boy. Seokjin's face was unreadable and Taehyung, the boy who killed four men just merely two hours ago was playing with his silver knives. The silver metal sparkled under the rays of light entering the room from the shutter, the reflected lights bouncing off the wall and onto the sofa and the table and into Jungmi's eyes. She blinked. They were waiting for her. They demanded an explanation, a reasonable and acceptable answer to the question they threw her a while ago.

"Who are you?"

Three words, a simple question. However, the impact itself was undeniable huge. Jungmi closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She never back off. Not back then. Certainly not now.

"Woo Jiho and Yoo Wonshik." Yoongi opened his mouth, breaking the building tension in the quiet room, "One is your brother. Another, your father. Is that true?"

"No. Yes."

"What does that suppose to mean?" Jimin blurted out, eyes fixed on the girl. He was not satisfied with her answer. They lost Hoseok, they freaking lost Hoseok in a stupid crazy insane game created by the man who kidnapped Jungmi but somehow turned out to be her very own brother. What kind of joke is this? Is she pulling a prank on them?

Jungmi opened her eyes, "Woo Jiho is not my brother." That jerk will never be her brother. He stole the note, caused Junhong to loss his life and kidnapped her. Most of all, he was the one that framed her brother. Her real brother.

Namjoon bit his lips, "What about Yoo Wonshik?" His question was met with silence and that made him scrowled, "You're not denying that, Jungmi."

The said girl averted the leader's intense gaze. She knew they will find out about this one day or another. She had never planned to lie to them or to keep the fact that Yoo Wonshik was her father a secret ever since the first day she joined the team. Jungmi thought they wouldn't find out about this so soon. So, sudden. Something crossed her mind. She looked directly into the leader's eyes, "I'm not agreeing with that either."

Seokjin who was quiet since the beginning moved towards the coffee table and sat beside Jimin, patting the sniffling boy softly on his back as he asked, "Who are you?" He repeated the first question that the purple-haired girl hadn't answer. His brows were raised as he spoke and he was rubbing his throbbing temple, the whole situation just looked so unreal and weird in his eyes now. First they had to play some games conducted by a crazy man. They won and found Jungmi but Hoseok died. And now Jungmi was admitting that her father that was the head of Korea Crime Squad. "What's your identity?"

Instead of answering, Jungmi asked,"Where did you get the information about me?" She was directing the question to the fair-skinned guy. She saw Taehyung fighting and killing the assassins, Namjoon solving the weird questions. She saw Hoseok speeding on the highway, followed by the police cars. From the room where she was locked, she saw everything that were going on with Woo Jiho. If she weren't tied up, she could have swore that she had kill the man right on the spot when the screen showing Hoseok went black after a loud explosion was heard. And Jiho had escaped before Jungkook and Jimin barged into the room where she was. Yoongi uncrossed his arms.

"I got an email." Yoongi crossed the room and brought his laptop to the middle and placed it down for everyone to see, "Here. Everything about you."

On the bright screen, they could see a picture of Jungmi who looked a few years younger than she was now hugging a young boy who looked just like Jiho and laughing heartily as the young boy hugged her back. At their back, a man who was a younger version of Yoo Wonshik was seen wearing a plain t-shirt had his hands placed on the two teenagers' shoulders and was smiling into the camera. It was a family photo.

Jungmi took a deep breath. Her heart was racing and she could felt the blood surging in her veins. was dried and her forehead and neck was lined with tiny droplets of sweat. She was angry, and a little nervous. She knew that instance that the family photo was sent by none other but Jiho. His words back in the room rang besides her ears, "We'll see. For now, you guys will be having the second round of game I've prepared for you. The trustworthy test." So this was what he meant by the trustworthy test. To see if they'll trust Jungmi after knowing who her father was.

Seokjin coughed dryly, "So, you're...you're an undercover cop? Sent by your father?" He suddenly recalled what Jungmi had said that day when they first met Taekwang and accepted the man's request for finding the Death Note.She had threaten the man that there was a possibility that there might be an undercover police among his men. Is that a hint that she is the undercover police?

Jungmi knew she needed to convince them that the photo was not real, "The photo, it was a fake one. If you take a good look at it, I'm sure you'll find the position of the hands a bit awkward and unnatural. And the background, it seemed as the sender forcefully inserted it in in an attempt to make it look more like a family photo." She pointed at the screen as the rest took a closer look at the photo. "See? I admit that whoever edited this did a pretty good job but this is me in the photo. I know better of my own pose than anyone else." She made her words sharp and filled with impact, attacking them with words and made it impossible for them to not believe in her, "Even my legs, see, don't you think they were somehow weird? Like they were edited." As Yoongi stared at the photo, he couldn't help but began to believe what the girl had said. Now that she had pointed it out, her hands that were hugging the boy definitely looked awkward. And Yoo Wonshik's head seemed like it was cut from other photo and pasted in this.

"Well, she had a point." Yoongi voiced out his opinion and Seokjin agreed with him. Jimin and Taehyung had remained silent although Taehyung was convinced by Jungmi's words. He continued fidgeting with his knife. "I'm glad to hear that," Jungmi attempted a smile. She could still see hesitation in Namjoon's eyes and the disbelief look he gave her.

"Here's my story," The girl paused, she was playing a dangerous game now. A mind combat. How much she was going to tell will be the deciding factor in gaining this bunch of guys' trusts. A little mistake, a lapse in her sentence or a misfit testimony will immediately end up crumpling the trust and the alliance built between them in this dangerous and dark world. She need to be careful, very careful of what she was going to tell but at the same time not showing off any sign of weakness. She took a deep breath and waited until everyone was looking at her, even Jimin who was still teary-eyed, "I lived with my father and my brother ever since my mom passed away. My father works as an architecture and my brother is in his third year of chemical engineering. Three months ago, I ran away." 

"You ran away?" Namjoon quirked a brow, "Why?"

Jungmi willed herself to recall every sad memories, that day when her beloved puppy died,  the day her brother had to leave her and escaped into hiding, and that day when her mother kissed her the last time before she closed her eyes forever, building up the sadness as she continued, "My brother has somehow involved in a gang without me and my dad's knowledge. He blew up big times and the moment we found out, we came up with only one solution. To split up and went into hiding." Jungmi kept her tone calm, but there was undenying that a tint of sadness lingered within her words. "I haven't seen them since." She lowered her gaze, letting her bangs covered her eyes. Her hands resting on her lap was slightly trembling as she tightened her grips on the fabric of her shirt. Jungkook stood up from where he was and walked over to the girl. He surprised the rest by gripping Jungmi's arm and pulled her to a standing position. Jungkook turned and faced the leader, "I think it's enough talk for today. Let's rest and continue tomorrow." Namjoon nodded.

As soon as Jungkook and Jungmi were out of sight, Seokjin beckoned the remaining nearer to him, "I think Jungkook trusts her too much." The eldest of the group had a worried look on his face and Namjoon knew exactly why. They shouldn't trust anyone fully in this world they were living in.  He gave the closed door a look and glanced at the screen where the CCTV showed the boy and the girl heading out of the office building together. "Something's weird about Jungmi. Yoongi hyung, do a background check up about her. See if she's telling the truth." Yoongi took his laptop and hacked into the government database within a couple of minutes. He had been hacking into the database for countless of time so it wasn't really a hard task. Plus the procedure of hacking had always been the same, considering that the password remained the same and no additional securities were added. His fingers danced gracefully on the keyboard and soon, the website revealed the civil registration system and Yoongi typed in Jungmi's full name.

"There's several citizens named Yoo Jungmi," Yoongi told the results as his hawk-like eyes scanned through the short list. He ruled out the three Jungmis that were above fifty years old and four remained. He clicked in the first one. A young women with single-lided eyes came into the screen. "She's married." Seokjin pointed ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter