Three

Fangirling at Its Best

"Oh my god Jinri! You won't believe what just happened!" Soojung said to her best friend when the taller girl went to her place the next day.

 

"What did Taemin do this time? Asked you out?" She asked lifelessly, you could tell by her voice that she was not really that interested on what Soojung would tell her, like as if this kind of scenario had happened often before.

 

"No, this is not about Taemin. And yah!" Soojung threw a pillow to her friend which Jinri just dodged effortlessly, "Why would Taemin ask me out? What are you? Crazy?"

 

"Well, you've been talking a lot about him lately. And if he really did ask you out, I won't be surprised anymore. Like... you're together for almost every day, I'm starting to think who your best friend here is?" Jinri answered in an as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. We just feel so comfortable with each other. Don't misunderstand. You're still my best friend," Soojung explained, smiling at the girl with her. "But anyway, like what I've said, this is not about him. This is about Jongin! My Nini Bear."

 

"Your Nini Bear... And then what? When I got excited and happy for you, you'll be like... 'And then I woke up.'" Jinri mimicked her and rolled her eyes, "Soojung, stop that kind of stories."

 

"This is not a dream! It's real this time, I swear... and Choi Jinri, I don't sound like that. Stop exaggerating."

 

"Oh yes you do," the taller girl stuck her tongue at Soojung and chuckled, "So... what happened?"

 

Setting aside her annoyance at Jinri for mimicking her, she cleared and told her every single detail of their conversation.

 

"Oh my god! Really? Wow, Jung. You're one lucky fangirl! Are you sure you were not dreaming that time?" Jinri asked her once she finished telling her all, now with full of excitement and interest unlike a while ago.

 

"I know, I know. I even asked my sister to slap me once I got home, which I tell you, was so hard it hurt but nonetheless, Jinri! It happened. It was real." Then she squealed, screaming at the pillow loud.

 

"So... does this mean you'll be close to him now?"

 

And that made her smile widely while her heart was beating fast in excitement and anticipation, "I hope so."

 

She really did hope so.

 

-

 

Jongin started to approach her more after their talk that night. They became closer than before to the point where he can comfortably talk to her and put her arm on her like the others do. They even bicker at each other about childish things. Sometimes, he join the two (Soojung and Taemin) on their lunch at the cafeterias and they became partners once when Taemin was absent. They both had better relationship more than Soojung had expected, adding the fact that he knew about her admiration to him. They were never awkward, which Soojung was thankful for.

 

-

 

Soojung found Jongin at the rooftop one day. The others were already in the practice room, and when they noticed that the tan-skinned guy wasn't around, she volunteered to find him instead and that the boys should just continue practicing especially that they would perform at another school by the end of the month.

 

Jongin didn't notice the girl's presence since he had earphones plugged on his ears and had his eyes closed.

 

She smiled seeing that her Nini Bear was once again in his own world. Sitting down right next to him, she got one of the earphones from Jongin's ear and plugged it on hers.

 

"Wow. Uptown Funk. I like this song, too," she commented, giving a glance at the shocked guy beside her and looked ahead.

 

"Soojung..."

 

"Yes, it's me. Why? Are you expecting someone else? Should I go now?" And with that, she stood up but stopped midway when Jongin pulled her back down.

 

"No, no. I'm not. I'm just... surprised. Aren't you supposed to be at the practice room, watching and evaluating the others?"

 

She looked at him and raised a brow, "Same goes to you. Aren't you supposed to be there with us, practicing with others?"

 

"Well... I don't think you'd notice."

 

"Of course, I would. Have you forgotten that you are my favorite member? Of course I would look for you first before anyone else, pabo," she hit his arm lightly.

 

And that made him smile a bit but didn't really encourage him much. "I'm actually considering… maybe I should not participate. Like... I'm not good enough to perform with the hyungs. Maybe they won't notice that I'm not around since they'll just look at Taemin... and others anyway."

 

She stared at him for a moment and she realized what was bothering the latter. And then she sighed. Despite the fame and undeniably amazing talent he has, Jongin still has a bit of inferiority complex. He has his own insecurities just like anybody else. And she hated it the most when he let his insecurities eat him up and affect him. As a person who could see nothing but the best of him, it kinda made her feel offended.

 

"Kim Jongin. We've talked about this before right?" She started.

 

"Yes but—"

 

"Shh. You know for a fact that there are people who can see and appreciate your talent. And as one of them, it offends me hearing such words from you. You are such an amazing dancer and I would never stop telling you that because you really are. So stop with all the non-sense and come with me or else I'll pull you by your ear all the way to the practice room."

 

Jongin winced at the thought of Soojung pulling him by his ear which he earned a giggle from her. He then smiled and ruffled her hair, "You really know what to say, don't you?" He stood up, pulling her with him and they walked together, hand-in-hand which Soojung didn't mind. Not at all.

 

Of course she wouldn't.

 

-

 

The day they've been waiting for has finally come. All of boys were having their general rehearsal backstage while Soojung was talking to the event's organizers.

 

And 5 minutes prior to their performance, Taemin pulled Soojung away from the others to talk to her privately.

 

"Okay Lee Taemin. What drama is this?" Soojung asked, crossing her arms.

 

"Nothing. I just wanna talk to you privately before performing. You know, others do this kind of stuff, right?" Taemin answered with a grin.

 

"Okay? You never did this before so what now? Wait, are you... perhaps planning to do something unnecessary that you want to ask my permission? Oh my god Lee Taemin you shouldn't show your abs, majority of the audience are minors so--"

 

"No! Of course not, it's just--"

 

"Oh, on the second thought you have no abs," she corrected herself.

 

"Jung Soojung, that's a bit overboard."

 

Soojung just laughed out loud while clapping like a retard seal.

 

"Stop laughing, it's not even funny."

 

"Oh yes it is. HAHAHAHA. You're so childish I'm just kidding hmp--"

 

The next thing she knew, Taemin's lips were on hers. And before she could even react, he pulled away and smiled mischievously at her. "The last time you made fun of me, I let it go since we're not that close, but now, no, no, I do what I say Jung Soojung. So you should not mess with me."

 

She stared at him still shocked and flustered and when she could finally say anything; Taemin patted her cheek, mumbling 'see you later, Jung' and ran back to the stage.

 

"Lee Taemin. You rascal! You didn't just—“

 

 

 

The performance went for about 7 minutes and as she has expected, the boys slayed and owned the stage like what they usually do even if they were performing at other schools. Other event organizers approached her, inviting the boys to perform at their events as well. Some were even staffs from big entertainment companies.

 

After Soojung talked to them, she walked back to see the boys but she just saw Jongin sitting there at the bench alone.

 

"Nini~ where are the others?" she asked as she sat beside him.

 

He just answered her with a slight shrug.

 

And just by looking at his face, Soojung already knew what the other thinking was. He was disappointed by his performance, he accidentally dropped his hat while performing on stage but being biased aside, Soojung actually think that the way the guy picked his hat back was so professional.

 

"By the way, you were incredibly awesome again today. As expected from my Nini Bear," she nudged his side and smiled at him.

 

"What's so awesome about it? I ruined it. Didn't you—"

 

"The way you put your hat back on was so professional, I actually thought that that was part of the choreography but then I realized I can't remember seeing something like that on your practices."

 

He groaned, still frustrated by his mistake, "You are exaggerating again, Jung. Stop it."

 

"I'm not. The girls beside me were talking about you. I was about to scold them from swooning over my Nini Bear," she pouted a bit, "but then I realized I should prepare myself for more of that since your popularity is rising even more now."

 

Jongin just looked at her; for once again, he was caught off guard by her words. He stared at her as she looked ahead, watching others pass by and some of his hyung talking to some new 'fans'.

 

Soojung has always been there for him, especially the times when he was so down and frustrated by himself. She never failed to tell him how amazing of a person he was, which he never thought he really was. She never failed to bring out the best in him. For the past months they've known each other, all he could remember was Soojung cheering him up, Soojung encouraging him, and Soojung pinpointing his strengths while he kept on counting down his weaknesses.

 

"Soojung..."

 

"What? Are you still going to contest me for telling you that you did great?"

 

"No."

 

"Good. Cause I'm so gonna leave you here if you did."

 

He smiled at her, "Thank you."

 

"..."

 

"God, Jung Soojung you're blushing again," he chuckled.

 

"And now you're making fun of me after I cheered you up? That's so nice of you Jongin." And with that, Jongin laughed at her cuteness.

 

-

 

Soojung sent a text to her mother, telling her that the practice was done and she would be home in few minutes. Afterwards, she walked toward the music player and stopped the music, which made the only person with her to stop dancing as well.

 

"What? Jung can't you see that—"

 

"Eunhyuk oppa told me to stop encouraging you to stay here. You're skipping our first class the next day because you've been oversleeping lately," she explained.

 

"But that happened only once. I swear this time I won't—" Jongin tried to convince her but she was firm to her decision.

 

"Once? Are you sure that's only once? You might collapse one day from over fatigue, I won't let that happen so no," she insisted.

 

"Okay. Twice. But Soojung this would be the last."

 

"Twice?" She asked him, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Fine. Thrice, okay? Alright, I got it. But Soojung-ah~” Jongin whined like a kid and Soojung mentally hit herself for almost agreeing to him because she found that whine very cute.

 

“Kim Jongin. That was not only thrice, we both know. And can you just please stop that because that will not work. Actually, nothing will. I won’t allow you to stay whatever you do,” she nodded, showing him that she was serious.

 

“Whatever? Really?” a smirk slowly crept on his face as he walked closer to her. “Even if I kiss you?”

 

Soojung admitted that she once thought about kissing Jongin but never in her life had she thought that it would really happen, like… that was just one of her daydreams. Just the fact of getting close to Jongin was still unbelievable for her, what more the guy kissing her?

 

Jongin smirked wider when he saw that he caught the girl off guard and he was going to win this time.

 

For a while, she just stood there, staring at him, waiting for an ‘I’m just kidding, haha, you should’ve seen your face’ line from Jongin. But when he leaned down and drew his face closer to her, there, she knew that he would really do it.

 

“S-stop.” Soojung stepped back and looked away from him. “You… you’re not supposed to do that, Jongin.”

 

“What?” he asked while frowning.

 

“It’s not even a good joke. You can’t do that.“

 

“I can’t?” Jongin didn’t know why but he suddenly felt mad. “Why? Taemin can kiss you while I can’t?”

 

They were both shocked by that. Soojung because she didn’t know someone saw that while Jongin because he didn’t plan on telling anyone about that.

 

She looked at him, surprise and confusion were evident at her face, “Y-you… saw that?”

 

“Yeah. I did,” he looked away as he nodded but looked back at her again, “But that’s not the matter here. Why, Jung? Why are you allowing him but not me?”

 

“Jongin. That’s—Taemin’s different. I—“

 

“Right. Of course he is.” Jongin smiled weakly at her and turned back, facing the door. “Let’s go, Soojung.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Let’s go. I’ll walk you home.” He started to walk ahead and Soojung followed her out.

 

 

The walk to Soojung’s house was quiet… and awkward. No one dared to speak. Both minds are occupied. Jongin was thinking about Soojung and Taemin’s closeness. While Soojung was thinking about Jongin attempting to kiss her and knowing the kiss Taemin stole from her. Not to mention, misunderstanding it.

 

Soojung decided to break the long silence once they reached the front of their house. “Thanks for walking me home. Take care on the way back to your dorm.”

 

Jongin just nodded at her.

 

“Hm... goodnight.” She gave him a small smile before turning to face the gate and when she was about to push it open…

 

“Do you like Taemin?”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

She slowly looked at him, “What was that?”

 

“I’m asking you if you like Taemin.” Jongin asked as if it’s the most normal question in the world.

 

“Jongin, I don’t… know…” she answered honestly. She then realized that she never really thought about it since no one asked. And now that she tried to think about it…

 

“You know that I like you, right?” seeing the girl’s cheeks slowly turning red was enough for Jongin to know that she had no idea, “Well, now, you know. But that’s not the matter here. Thing is, if you like Taemin, I should know earlier before what I’m feeling towards you right now grew deeper. I think Taemin likes you, too, so if you guys are having mutual feelings, I better stop now. It’s not like I don’t really like you, I do. It’s just that I don’t like you that much…? Let’s say I love Taemin more than I like you as of the moment? Yeah. We’ve been friends for more than 7 years now and I don’t want to risk our friendship. Taemin is like my brother and I don’t want to ruin what we have. So you better say it to my face now so that I can stop.”

 

A moment of silence passed and Soojung just stared at the guy who just confessed to her. Her mind was a mess. She didn’t know how to react or what to say. She hasn’t moved on from what happened at the practice room earlier and now, this? She really didn’t see this one coming.

 

“Jongin I… don’t know,” she mumbled. A minute or two had passed but that was the only words she could mutter.

 

Another moment of silence passed then Jongin smiled and ruffled her hair, trying to lighten up the mood, “This is too much for you, right? Sorry… for messing up with your head. I just… wanna let it out; I didn’t even consider what you’d feel.”

 

“Can I… think about it? Can you… wait?”

 

“Sure,” he said and poked her cheek, “But don’t take too long, okay? Go inside now. Your mom and sister might be worrying at you already.”

 

She just nodded her head, still unable to find the right words to say and got inside their house. She headed straight to her room, ignoring her mom and sister’s questions.

 

Once she plopped down her bed, she fished out her phone from her pocket and called the person she always talked to at times like this.

 

“Jinri. I think I’m gonna die.”