Hot Summer

Hot Summer

Jonghyun sat sprawled across his couch, he eyed the TV remote hoping it would get up and just come to him, but no, it didn’t. Truth was that Jonghyun was too hot to get the remote. All summer the weather had been excruciating, but today took the cake.

 

Jonghyun’s gaze landed outside his window, on his front lawn, the sight of the sun’s bright rays caused him to sweat more than he already was. He really wanted to close the curtain and shield his eyes from the outside world … but it was too hot.Normally Jonghyun would have fought himself, declaring he was just being lazy but today he couldn’t, just thinking alone was tiring and furthermore the atmosphere around him heated.

 

For the longest time Jonghyun sat, on his couch, not doing a single thing nor thinking about anything, it was quiet and worst of all hot. There was no humidity, just dryness. Jonghyun closed his eyes and could feel the heat waves hit him and his body responded with one thing, sweating.

 

Sick of it suddenly Jonghyun took in a sharp breath, using the back of his palm to wipe away the moisture that plastered his face.

 

A shower would be nice, he thought to himself. He liked the idea but then he remembered that in order to get to the bathroom he’d have to get up and walk all the way there. The bathroom was only around the corner but for some reason it seemed like it was on the whole other side of Seoul.

 

No, he wasn’t going to fight the heat; he would just ignore. And when he was pushed to his limits, he would ignore it tenfold, or so he presumed.  Even his favorite hobbies such as singing, composing, playing video games and watching anime all seemed tiring and required too much effort, effort that Jonghyun just didn’t have today.

 

He could feel that his back was stuck to his faux leather couch. The dampness of his shirt due to the ample amount of sweating had pretty much glued him to his spot on the couch. Again, it would take Jonghyun effort to peal himself off the couch. The same effort he did not have.

 

If Jonghyun wasn’t brain-dead because of the heat, he was sure he would have jumped, even if slightly, when his puppy rushed into the living room. Upon seeing the tiny dog, Jonghyun’s dull expression lightened. He smiled.

 

“Roo!” Jonghyun sang.  His voice cracked due to lack of use. When met with her name, Roo jumped around even more before landing her eyes on Jonghyun’s, puppy eyes meeting puppy eyes. Jonghyun lazily dropped his arm to the floor, wanting Roo to come near so he could pet her. Roo however sat still, waiting.

 

Jonghyun pouted but didn’t draw his arm away. Roo watched Jonghyun before getting up and walking away, she stopped every few steps to look behind at Jonghyun.

 

Immediately Jonghyun realized that the dog wanted to go outside to do her business. He craned his neck and looked outside. A groan escaped his lips.


“All right, only for you Roo,” he sighed. He ever so carefully pulled himself off of the couch feeling sticky and gross. Jonghyun gave himself a quick pat on the back. The most work he had done so far today!

 

Jonghyun grabbed a leash as he made his way to the door. He quickly clipped the metal hooks together before pushing open the door and following the petit dog out.

 

“Hold up!” Jonghyun cried out as the Roo ran forward at full speed, nearly knocking Jonghyun down.

“How do you have so much energy?” he asked baffled. Jonghyun held his foot down and clutched the leash tight. He waited a bit but Roo suddenly showed no signs of stopping.

“I’m suddenly starting to think you never had to pee in the first place,” he uttered while Roo sent a few glances back to Jonghyun before trying to pull forward.

 

Roo’s eyes then remained directly ahead. Jonghyun also glanced ahead and instantly sighed.

 

“No, Roo,” he began firmly, “we are not going for a walk, not in this heat and especially not in my current attire.” His current attire being baggy sweats pants and a loose-fitting black t-shirt. Roo however began whining and continued to pull the leash.

 

“No,” Jonghyun repeated while he lightly tugged the leash back. Jonghyun clenched his jaw and felt the icky sweat travel further down his back.

“UGHH!” he scowled before stomping his feet like a child in frustration,  “Fine, fine, let’s go!”

 


 

Within minutes Roo had led Jonghyun to the park, surprisingly there were many more people at the park than Jonghyun had expected. Clearly they were immune to the heat or crazy he decided. Feeling tired already, Jonghyun decided to go to the dog area, this way he could let Roo run loose while he sat down and complained about the heat to himself.

 

Entering the fenced area, Jonghyun closed the metal gate before releasing Roo and watching her run off. A small smile plastered his face as he rolled the leash up and stuffed it into the large pocket of his sweat pants.  

 

He then turned around and looked for an empty bench. All the benches were full or under direct sunlight. However there was one bench under a large tree, half occupied. Without thought Jonghyun walked on over and sat down, unconsciously sitting as far as he could from the boy sitting on the other end of the bench.

 

“Kkomde! Kkomde come here!” The boy next to him called out. Jonghyun gave the boy a quick glance, realizing he was around his own age.

 

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow, everything about this boy stood out to Jonghyun, in a good way. The boy’s shining black hair made Jonghyun want to touch it. His skin was very light considering it was summer. He felt positive that if he leaned over and brushed his hand against the boys skin, it would be cold. To say the least, Jonghyun was smitten.

 

“Can I help you?” Jonghyun jumped out of his thoughts and was met with brown orbs, looking directly into his own.

 

“W-what?” Jonghyun stuttered, embarrassed for being caught. The boy raised his eyebrow before smirking in a teasing manner.

 

“Never mind,” he said in an almost singsong tone. He stared at Jonghyun a little longer before turning back. Jonghyun gulped uneasily before turning his own gaze away, onto Roo.

 

“!” he grumbled when his eyes landed on Roo, who was clawing at another dog similar to herself.

 

“Garcon!” the boy besides called out as he got up. Jonghyun felt his stomach flip as he too got up and headed towards Roo. All the while he watched the brunette, hoping he wasn’t heading the same way.

 

“Roo!” Jonghyun called out but the dog paid no mind to her master as she continued to pounce at the other dog.

 

Jonghyun stopped in front of the two dogs and soon enough the boy who sat next to him was also standing along side him.

 

“Is that your dog?” Jonghyun asked meekly his eyes not leaving the two dogs.

 

“Bad dog!” the boy cried as he gently pulled the two dogs apart. “Garcon, you do not attack other dogs,” the boy scolded his dog before placing Garcon behind him. The boy then picked up Roo.

 

“Are you okay?” he cooed as he pet Roo’s brown fur. Jonghyun slowly kneeled down next to the boy.

 

“I’m so sorry about that,” Jonghyun apologized.

 

“No, no, it’s not your fault,” he chuckled before releasing Roo and getting up, Jonghyun right behind him. “Garcon is a troublemaker,” he smiled nervously, “he doesn’t even get along with my other dog, Kkomde either,” he further explained as he jerked his thumb at the direction of said dog. “My name’s Key by the way!” he introduced, a sincere smile on his face while his hand outstretched.

 

Jonghyun returned the smile and took Key’s hand. “Jonghyun.” Bringing their hands back to their sides after the handshake both boys began walking side by side.

 

“Roo’s the same way,” Jonghyun added breaking the silence. Key tilted his head slightly confused before Jonghyun elaborated. “Roo is also a troublemaker.”

 

“Oh,” Key nodded as a smile formed on his mouth again. He stepped a little ahead before bending down and ruffling Kkomde’s fur, he pulled out a leash and clipped it to the dog’s collar. “This is Kkomde,” Key informed as he stood back up. “He’s shy, which actually makes him much easier to handle compared to Garcon.”

 

“I wish Roo were more like him,” Jonghyun chuckled as he scratched the back of his head. Key responded with a giggle. Jonghyun grinned at the response and eyed Key. He was very attractive. His bow-shaped lips caused Jonghyun to unconsciously his own lips.  Key suddenly turned to look at Jonghyun and was caught once more. A deep blush formed quickly.

 

“Are you okay?” Key asked obliviously, fortunately for Jonghyun.

 

“Oh it’s the heat,” Jonghyun lied as he tried to shrug it off. Key ‘oh-ed’ once more before he bent down and leashed Garcon as well.

 

“Yeah, the heat has been brutal today,” Key said, “If I didn’t have to walk Kkomde and Garcon I wouldn’t have gotten up at all today,” he added laughing.

 

Jonghyun laughed alongside him. “Same. If Roo hadn’t tricked me, I wouldn’t be here at all.”

 

Key didn’t respond but a smile remained on his face as they headed towards the exit gate.

 

“Well I’m glad Roo did,” Key blushed lightly. Once the words settled, Jonghyun’s eyes widened.

 

Stumbling for words Jonghyun replied. “Yeah, yeah I-it was nice meeting you Key.”

 

Key smiled shyly causing Jonghyun to melt inside. However the shy smile left as quickly as it came. Soon enough Key adorned a devilish smirk. He pulled out something from his pocket and grabbed Jonghyun’s palm. Jonghyun who was dumbfounded blinked several times until Key pulled away. Jonghyun looked at his palm as noticed several numbers… A phone number.

 

“In case Garcon did more damage to Roo than it seemed,” Key explained, the devilish glint never leaving his eyes.  “Even if not… give me a call,” he smirked. Jonghyun struggled to take back control of his body.

 

Key gave a quick wink at the older boy before heading forward.

 

When Key was several feet away, Jonghyun finally recomposed himself. He gave a quick glance at Roo before pulling out his phone. Jonghyun copied the numbers off his palm as quickly as he could. Once he had hit save, Jonghyun then jogged over to Roo and leashed her up.

 

Jonghyun spent the whole way home worrying about what to text.