The Annual Rose Ball

My House

The sun began to set in the horizon, dipping in behind the trees and bushes. It's final red rays barely reached me through the small crack of the carriage window. I leaned my head against the frame of that small window and continued to peer into the distance. I didn't very much enjoy these sort of gatherings. Balls and parties were a popular event that I was required to attend as the 'face' of North Gate Castle. A castle into which I was born into, not by my choice, obviously.

"My lady," the in-carriage maid spoke.

"Yes?" I looked at her.

"We're approaching Serotinus," she told me.

Ah, Serotinus. The centre of our known world. A place filled with life, flowers and... rain. It rained a lot in this place but the sun was there the whole time. Rainbows were popular sight. The scene was so beautiful and inspiring, yet mundane in its' own way. However, the one scent that I could find comfort in was the smell of roses after the rainfall. It was so succulent, luscious and addicting. It didn't remind me of home, not one bit, which is why I loved it. Home is covered in snow, sleet and storms. Survival seemed more like priority there than maintaining a beautiful garden like these here in the city of Serotinus. No one could argue they had the most beautifully arranged flower beds I had ever seen. 

The road began to get smoother as the carriage began to approach the castle. The largest castle of all the land. I had only seen it once, a long time ago when I spent the summer here whilst being seven years old. My father and the High King of Serotinus were old friends from war and remained so since then. My father insisted on making me spend a summer here to see the sunlight for a short while. To be fair, my time spent here wasn't so bad, as I recall. The High King had six sons, from three different wives... My mother wasn't fond of the High King because of this. A man who must bed with more than one woman is no man, let alone, a true king she had once told me.

"We're here, my lady," the carriage maid told me. I nodded my head silently and looked out the window. Sure enough, we had arrived. From the memory of my seven year old body, the castle seemed to have changed very little. It was still gray, with coated silver and gold tiles. Beautiful, in the eyes of most, I suppose.

The carriage door opened wide and a servant boy held his hand out to help me out of the carriage. Reluctantly, I allowed him to aid me out of the carriage.

"Welcome to the castle of all eleven kingdoms, Serotinus," he announced as my heels landed softly onto the concrete ground. It was only the beginning of sunset but carriages from all over were pulling up, carrying princesses, lords and ladies, queens and kings from all over the city. It was beautiful and magical to say the least as the fountains squirted out water, and torches were lit with bright luminescent colours. 

My mother, Queen Alexandra, walked up behind me. She had been in the carriage in front with father.

"Are you excited?" she asked me, grabbing my arm and leading me up the stairs.

"You're suddenly very chirpy," I frowned. "If I recall you don't like visiting the High King."

"Oh nonsense... well no, not really," she rolled her eyes. "I dislike seeing him about business and other things like that, but this ball... I love it," she explained. "I'm so happy you finally agreed to come this year with us."

"I never agreed," I moaned to her. I suddenly felt a chill down my back and I froze, unable to move. I felt like someone was behind me. I felt like I needed to gasp for air but couldn't. What was going on? It felt like someone was applying pressure on my from all sides.

"Darling, what's wrong?" my mother fretted.

"I-I..." I was finally able to mumble something out. I spun around, looking for the culprit. The only ones behind me were a young couple in suit and ball gowns, climbing up the tall stairs to the entrance just like everybody else. What the hell was that? I could have sworn someone had tried to do something to me...

"Come on dear, or you'll miss out on the party," my mother assured me. Nodding to myself, I allowed her to lead me up the stairs. I kept glancing back behind me in agonizing fear but the odd feeling never returned. 

Finally we reached the top of the staircase and were lead directly inside in the ballroom. It was like something from a storybook. The ceiling seemed like it would go on forever. Large red curtains draped over the stain glass windows, a whole orchestra playing soothing music, guests dressed in gorgeous gowns and chatting to each other. As my mother and I walked closer to the stairs, an entrance man cleared his throat and struck the floor with his cane.

"I present, Queen Alexandra and Princess Alexia of North Gate Kingdom," he announced in a loud, echoing voice. I stared embarrassingly as most of the guests ceased to converse to stare upon us. I hid shyly behind my own mother as she walked down the staircase and into the ballroom.

"My queen," two women approached my mother immediately with courtesy.

"Fei, Jia!" Alexandra exclaimed in surprise. "I haven't seen you in many years!" she took hold of one of the girls' faces. "So beautiful... how's your father?" she asked.

"Still ill, the fever is sure doing more damage than we expected," the beautiful girl replied.

"I'm sorry to hear that," my mother frowned. "This is my daughter Alexia," she showed me off. "She's about your age as well."

"How do you do," I politely smiled.

"You look beautiful," they said at the same time, giggling to themselves at the coincidence.

"Why don't you girls mingle whilst I go find your father," my mother told me. With my peering eyes I begged her not to leave me. Despite my efforts, she had abandoned me. 

"Don't worry, we're friendly," Jia (I'm guessing), stated.

"Come on, we'll introduce you to the guests," they took one of my arms each and led me deeper into the ballroom. They introduced me to bachelors, lords and ladies of all sorts. Some were married, some were looking for their 'prince charming' here in this very castle tonight.

"Haven't you noticed that they are many young ladies present tonight?" Jia asked me. I glanced around the room. Sure enough the ratio of men as to women did fall into the latter.

"That's because all of the High King's sons are eligible men to marry," Fei explained with a wide grin.

"Except... for the fact that they are not," Jia rolled her eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The High King has six sons and they have been of age for a very long time and still, no woman has married them yet. We're beginning to think the High King doesn't want it for some odd reason," Jia shrugged.

"I heard the High King's family is cursed because of the Black Witch," Fei whispered to us. Jia scuffed and rolled her eyes, but I was intrigued.

"What Black Witch?" I asked her, almost begging to find out.

"There's a rumour going around that one of the women that the High King has bedded was the Black Witch. She gave birth to the eldest son but he couldn't have a Black Witch as Queen of all eleven kingdoms. So he took his son and banished the Black Witch away into the Green Swap Forest, forever. She couldn't forgive the High King and therefore cursed the High King and all his children to be," Fei was amazing at story-telling. I was instantly hooked.

"Yeah, except there's nothing in the Green Swamp Forest... the Black Witch is just a fairy tale," Jia sighed, looking around the room. I had never heard of this legend before. I began to think of that summer when I spent it here as a child. I played with the sons quiet often. We'd chase each other, playing monster vs. man and they'd make me play the monster all the time. Were these the boys she was talking about? Could that legend be true?

"Look," Fei pointed to the front of the ballroom. Where the seat of the king was placed, a large bearded man stood in the most decorated robes and golden crown. I was guessing it was the High King. Behind him were two beautifully dressed women who followed him down the stairs. The music stopped as soon as the King reached the bottom of the steps. Everyone in the ballroom began to bow in front of the king, and so did I along with everyone else.

"Rise everyone!" he announced. God, his voice was loud! "Welcome to my home, castle of Serotinus," he explained and everyone applauded. I mimicked these movements, unsure of what was appropriate. "This is the Annual Rose Ball, dedicated to people of the known world and the eleven Kingdoms. It's a ball that is traditionally thrown in attempt to bring peace. However, we've had peace in the known land for over two decades. Therefore, we are not attempting to bring peace today, but rather, celebrating the peace we've been able to uphold for this long!" he bellowed. Everyone cheered and applauded for his speech. During the whole time the High King spoke, there was a man who caught my attention. He was standing across from me on the other side of the ballroom, leaning against the pillar. He didn't seem to care what the High King had to say. He was nonchalant as he bit into an apple instead of cheering for the High King. For a moment, a glimmer of a moment, I thought one of his eyes... was blue.

"Let the music continue, and everyone is welcome to eat and drink to their hearts' content!" he laughed and everyone chuckled alongside him. The chatter and music continued as per usual.

"Darling," my mother creeped up behind me. "Follow me," she ordered, leading the way towards the High King. Father was standing before the High King at the time we approached him.

"Richard," the High King hugged my father. My father was just as old as the High King but bore many more battle scars. 

"Good to see you, Jinyoung," he patted him on his shoulder. "Nice to see you've grown even bigger around the waist," he joked. Wow, my dad must be really close with him...

"Ah this must be beautiful Alexandra," the High King turned his attention to his mother. 

"How do you do," she politely bowed.

"You look extraordinary today," he complimented her. "These two are my wives if you recall, Lisa and Liza," he laughed. I smiled at them but they seemed to have not noticed me... or ignored me on purpose. Whatever the reason, I was invisible to them.

"This is my daughter Alexia," my mother decided to break the awkward silence by pushing me forward.

"My goodness!" the High King gasped. "Last time I saw you I was able to lift you up onto my shoulder," he laughed. I smiled awkwardly. "Now you've turned into such a young beauty. Be careful that none of my sons manage to sweep you off your feet tonight," he grinned. "Speaking about that spineless bunch..." he began scanning the ballroom. "Excuse me," he politely wandered away.

"He doesn't seem so bad," I whispered to my mother.

"They all seem like that in the beginning," she muttered back to me. 

"My lady," a man spoke from behind me. I turned around to face a young gentleman, who was much taller than I expected to see.

"I'm prince Seulong," the man gave me a deep bow. "I'm the son of Great King Leonard, from Stormwidth Castle," he presented himself formally.

"Oh," I managed to muster something to say. My mom was a playful woman and elbowed me in the gut, pushing me forward. "I'm princess eh, Alexia from..." I tried to repeat it in a similar manner as he did.

"I know who you are," Seulong interrupted me. "I'm here to ask you for a dance," he stated.

"Oh right... of course... I mean no not really but maybe yeah, you know..." 

Dear God up in heaven. Please kill me right now, kindest regards, Alexia.

"Is that a no?" he raised a confused eyerbow.

"What I mean is-"

"What she means is yes," my mother replied for me and elbowed me one more time. I made a mental reminder to discuss her elbow digging techniques she keeps using on me. And so the man led me to the centre of the dance floor as the music began to play. I wasn't too sure what to expect of this. I mean, I've danced before... through lessons. Never actually... you know... did it... with another man...

"Princess?" he gazed at me.

"Mmmm, yes?" I raised my eyebrow. It turned out he was trying to take hold of my other hand.

Right. I got this. It's cool.

I placed my left hand onto his shoulder whilst he clasped onto my right hand. His other hand was placed on the thin of my back. And so we began this soft waving movement like dance in a triangular motion. At first it was awkward for me but soon enough I began enjoying it. I liked how smoothly my dress began to flow with our movements. The prince was too tall for me however, as I had barely reached for his upper shoulder.

"Excuse me," a male voice spoke. We stopped dancing and turned around to face a man whom I had recognized. He was the one who had been leaning against the pillar the whole time whilst the King was giving his speech.

"May I have this dance?" he asked Seulong, not me.

"Of course your highness," he bowed and scurried away. What? Don't I have a say in this? And who is this guy? Come back super tall guy!

Almost as fast as lightning, the new man took hold of my hand and placed his large hand onto my waist rather than my back. He pushed my body closer to him. I had to arch my back as to not bury my face in his chest.

"Princess Alexia," he finally spoke as soon as we took the first step. His voice was deep and husky, almost crackling in the low voice he spoke.

"I sure wish I knew your name," I told him. I was pissed off, I know I shouldn't have been, but I was.

"My name..." he chuckled. He had a deep voice and such dark black hair... it frightened me. 

"Do you always interrupt people's dances?" I asked in a rude tone. I know I shouldn't have spoken like that, but this guy was getting on my nerves. Cocky. Handsome. Absurd. Rude. Handsome.

"Not usually, but you were always an exception," he sighed with a smirk on his face.

"Excuse me?" I raised my voice, perplexed.

"Come on, what girl never wanted to play the damsel in distress, but instead wanted to play the monster that needed to be slayed," he laughed. It hit me. He must be one of the High King's sons.

"I never had a choice... you were a bunch a wooses," I mumbled. He laughed, gripping onto my hand tighter and pulling me even closer to him. I looked up at him in confusion, looking directly into his face. His eyes were staring deep down into mine. It wasn't romantic. It was terrifying. That horrible chill and haunting feeling returned, the one I had felt previously on the staircase. I stared back at him, unable to flinch or even breathe. One of his eyes, seemed to gleam. I looked at it and let out a rasp gasp.

"What is it?" he asked in a deathly tone.

"Your eye..." I managed to say. His face turned pale, but his glare turned darker.

"What about it?" he whispered, his sweet breath landing on my face.

"It's... it's blue."