1/1

Lie to Me


Minseok turned the pages of the journal, his fingers tracing the hastily written words, feeling nostalgia as he felt the leather cover of the small book. He had stopped writing in it years and years ago. Before he had even debuted, when it had become far too laborious to keep up recording the day’s events. Smiling, he focused on one passage. The last passage he had written.

I must only like him because I want to know why he lies. That is it. Isn’t it human nature to be curious?

***

“You fought a bear?” Sehun leaned back in his chair, putting his hands behind his head he considered the possibility. Then he called bull “I don’t think that is true.”

“Of course it is true. Yah!” Luhan slapped at his knee playfully, shaking his head in exasperation “I mean, I didn’t FIGHT fight a bear, but I punched one once.” Luhan took a bite of the steaming sweet potato.

“Like a love tap?” Minseok asked, leaning forward so the skewered marshmallow was angled closer to the fire.

“Whatever.” Luhan rolled his eyes, relaxing back in his chair. “Fine – what is the coolest thing you have ever done?”

Chanyeol tried to choke down his laughter, it was a failed effort.

“What?” Luhan eyed the younger man suspiciously “What have you done?”

Chanyeol plastered on a serious face, pointing towards Minseok “Not me – him. Minseok hyung.”

Luhan jerked his attention towards Minseok, extremely curious. Since Luhan had entered SM Entertainment, a shy but eager young man, he had tended to gravitate towards a select few of his peers. Minseok was number one on Luhan’s “kind of obsessed, please be my friend” list. Not that Luhan would mention the fact, because that type of information was a closely guarded secret.

Minseok cleared his throat, trying not to laugh he launched into his story “Well, I once survived being shipwrecked. I was rescued by a fleet of Somalian pirates.”

“What?!” Luhan couldn’t help it, his accent becoming more pronounced as he became less controlled in his words.

Minseok nodded. “It was after my parents left for their studies.”

“What did they study?” Luhan was enthralled, leaning forward without considering his actions.

“They are both the foremost experts in their field.” Minseok pulled the marshmallow out of the fire, blowing on it to cool off the steaming sweet treat “They study Coelacanths. Do you know what that is?”

Luhan shook his head vigorously.

Minseok finished chewing the marshmallow, swallowing he continued “They are the most endangered species in the world.”

Luhan’s mouth made a perfect O. Then he regained his senses. “Do you know what my parents do?”

“Hyungs, I am going to bed.” Sehun leaned forward, his eyelids had been starting to droop for the last half an hour. Minseok had noticed. He had taken a special interest in watching over Sehun for the last year; he always took the subway home with the younger boy. He had pledged to be the best older brother he could be for the young man.

“Good night.” Minseok shooed Sehun off to bed “Get some sleep. You have homework in the morning.”

“Homework…argh” Sehun grumbled, heading for the tent he would share with fellow trainees Junmyeon and Kyungsoo.

Minseok sat back down in the plastic chair, watching Sehun lumber off to bed. Chanyeol was quiet, staring at the fire as he waited for Minseok and Luhan to continue their conversation.

Once Minseok was sitting back down Luhan continued “My parents developed tiny lights.”

“Whaaat?” Chanyeol raised his head, staring at Luhan with a mixture of annoyance and confusion “Tiny lights..?”

“Hm, the ones in those small Christmas Village sets that are so popular.” Luhan stared at the fire “It is sad, because they spent so much time developing tiny lights they ignored me.”

“On that note I am off to bed.” Chanyeol jerked up, no longer finding the conversation amusing.

Minseok and Luhan watched as the younger man stumbled towards his tent, tired from the long day.

The two young men left sitting around the campfire remained silent for a few minutes. To be honest, neither of them were especially thrilled at their camping trip. They had little choice in going though. If they said no it could have an effect on their future careers.

SM Entertainment, the agency they belonged to, the agency where they trained as aspiring singers, had sent their pre-debut team on a teamwork building overnight trip. The pre-debut team was the top of the top in the trainee world, with a light at the end of the tunnel as long as they didn’t completely mess up. It was something trainees worked at for years to be a part of. Minseok had been training for two years, Luhan for six months.

Minseok would be foolish if he did not admit to himself that he felt some jealousy towards Luhan. In only six months Luhan accomplished what Minseok had worked two years for. They were the same age – yet Luhan was attending a prestigious university as an exchange student while Minseok had forsaken college for training. And yet he was no further than Luhan despite his educational sacrifice. It frustrated him sometimes, but it wasn’t new. Frustration – it was a code for him to live by as he trained. A code for him to do better.

It was easy to understand why SM had cast Luhan. He had…the look. Innocent yet ual – when he wanted to be. He would steal young hearts but draw in the Noona fans too. He could be fierce or he could be pliant and innocent. He would – could – fit any concept they pushed at him.

“We are same aged friends.” Luhan mused nonsensically, still staring at the fire. The firewood crackled as it burned, sending up embers and smoke in a trail towards the night sky. The night sky was clear, Luhan thought it was a refreshing break from the hazy night sky in Seoul. The sky in Seoul was a lot like the sky in his home town of Beijing, maybe a little clearer, but still muddied by the metropolis that dictated the clarity of the heavens. It felt like home…kind of.

“We should go to bed.” Minseok stretched his arms out, hearing his back crack as he contorted to the left and then the right “We are same aged, which means we are the oldest. We need rest.”

Luhan smiled. Minseok watched the corners of Luhan’s lips move upwards. He swore he froze for a full minute, but it was a split second. It was always like this. A smile, Minseok swallowing hard as he considered why that smile meant anything. Why did the strange Chinese trainee and his smiles make Minseok feel so…different? Apprehensive perhaps.

“Let’s go to bed Baozi.” Luhan stood up, reaching his hand out.

Minseok stood, grasping Luhan’s hand in his own. It was still weird, but edging towards comfortable. It was only yesterday when they held hands for the first time. Minseok was teasing Luhan about his latest story. And then Luhan reached out and Minseok moved. It made no sense at the time. It still didn’t.

“I wish you wouldn’t call me baozi.” Minseok scolded Luhan playfully as they walked towards their tent.

“I like it.” Luhan mused “Have I ever told you about my time working as a baozi maker?”

“No.” Minseok smiled. It would be another lie. It was always a lie when Luhan opened his mouth – or almost always. At least when it was like this, social – a place and time where social acceptance was front and center. A time when work was done, practice was done, when the only thing left to do were talk and build relationships. That is when Luhan lied the most.

***

Luhan was telling the truth when he met Minseok. He had to have been – because no one would make a first impression like that on purpose.

Luhan had been led into the training room alongside a few other new trainees – a short boy with big eyes that scowled at the room, a Japanese trainee who clearly wore his ego on his sleeve, and a boy from one of the provinces. Luhan, though, stood out. His brown hair was clearly the effort of a home dye job, still it was clear he took care of his appearance, trying to perfect the look of a fashionable pretty boy.

Luhan wore a pink t-shirt, black baggy pants, his hair styled with care – framing his round and youthful face. He wore earrings and a few chrome colored rings, which Minseok noticed were picked out to match the pattern on his t-shirt.

“Ming –ssok?” Luhan stuttered when he was introduced.

“MinSEOK.” Minseok enunciated, trying to stress the syllables.

“You are cute.” Luhan said a little too loudly, a little too honestly. He clapped his hand over his mouth as soon as he said it, quickly realizing that this was not the best thing to say to someone who he had just met and who was a senior trainee.

“Kiss him! Kiss him! Kiss him!” The other trainees started chanting. Luhan turned bright red, Minseok rolled his eyes and tried to play it cool.

“I didn’t mean cute as in kiss him cute!” Luhan protested, but his explanation only made the boys chant louder.

“Quit it. Back to work.” The manager scolded. He was already having a terrible day, having to show the newbies around had only distracted him from the work he could have been doing. The boys shut up, the trainees left on their tour, and Minseok had another awkward introduction story to commit to memory.

Luhan was honest then, but it became clear over the coming weeks that he wasn’t always trustworthy when it came to his words. When they were practicing, Luhan was quiet, shy even. But after practice, when everyone milled about the training room, Luhan tried to impress.

“He is so full of it.” Chanyeol complained to Minseok one day “It is obvious he is lying most of the time. Who makes so much stuff up?”

“He is probably just nervous.” Minseok had stood up for Luhan, without understanding why, exactly. Luhan was his competition after all, all of them were “Give him time. We aren’t the easiest people to get to know.”

Chanyeol had looked insulted, but Minseok knew the younger man well enough to realize his injured pride was an act. Chanyeol was one of the most carefree trainees among the pre-debut team. In fact some thought he was too carefree. Junmyeon, the trainee that had been at it the longest, often scolded Chanyeol for not practicing enough.

“We should try to one up him, tell our own outrageous stories. See what he does.” Chanyeol mused one afternoon, shortly before they left on their camping trip.

“That is kind of mean.” Minseok had discounted the idea immediately.

“Come on hyung, it will be fun.” Sehun, the youngest on the pre-debut team, joined in on the conversation “It won’t hurt anything. He would probably not even realize we were doing it.”

Minseok had made a mistake when he agreed to go along with the plan during their camping trip. He realized that after he had opened his mouth and told such an outrageous lie about his parents. He had realized it after he was lying in his tent, Luhan at his side, trying to fall asleep. Making fun of the lies, joining in on the lies, was funny for a second- but worrisome in retrospect. Because Minseok couldn’t shake the desire to understand, to know, why Luhan lied so much to begin with. It was driving him crazy, wanting to know. Why?

***

Chanyeol drummed his fingers on the table impatiently. “How long do you think it has been since we ordered?”

“One hundred years.” Sehun murmured, not bothering to look up from his phone.

“It is pretty busy.” Kim Junmyeon stared at his watch “Still…”

It was a little past ten o’clock at night. The pre-debut team had practiced until a little after nine o’clock, before Junmyeon had offered to take them out for dinner. Junmyeon made the same offer at least once a month, so it wasn’t exactly a surprise. It was no secret among the trainees that Junmyeon’s parents were loaded.

The offer however, was not all about his financial ability to pay for his fellow trainees to eat. It had a lot to do with the fact that Junmyeon had trained the longest out of everyone at SM – everyone that had yet to quit, be cut, or debut that is. He was going on his fourth year of training, with one year spent nursing a leg injury. Paying for his fellow trainee’s dinner was about showing just that, he was their senior, he was their leader, the one that could offer them advice and take care of them through years of walking in their shoes.

Every now and then Junmyeon would mention that he was supposed to debut as a part of the group Super Junior- if they had kept the originally planned rotational concept. Every now and then he talked about how he was close to debuting with the group Shinee. The fact remained, however, that he hadn’t debuted. He was, for all intents and purposes, the grand old man of the trainees at SM- a fact that was respected by some and criticized by others. Minseok knew he had a chip on his shoulder because of some of the gossip around his failure to debut.

“Hyung, I am hungry.” Kim Jongin whined. As one of the younger trainees, many newbies often assumed Jongin was rather fresh in the SM trainee world himself. It was a common mistake, he had been training almost as long as Junmyeon. Tanned, with a messy mop of dark hair, Jongin excelled at all things dancing. Junmyeon liked to call him their “ballet prodigy turned hip hop wannabe”.

“Can we just sit and breathe, who cares how long it takes?” Do Kyungsoo sighed, his exhaustion evident as he slumped down in his seat.

Kyungsoo had started at SM Entertainment the same day as Luhan, he was the wide eyed newbie who was scowling at the same time Luhan had muttered his horrible introduction. The trainee team was rather reluctant to warm up to Kyungsoo at first because all he seemed to do was throw dirty looks and appear angry.

That all changed however once Kyungsoo shyly revealed he had poor eyesight and his expression was his way of compensating for it. After his confession Kyungsoo quickly made friends among the team. A short young man with wide eyes and a powerful and soulful voice, Kyungsoo quickly rose through the ranks of the trainees to land one of the coveted spots on the pre-debut team.

“I - for one - am starving.” Minseok rubbed his tummy. He had eaten at a food stall on his way to the SM building, but that had been seven hours ago. He was looking forward to the large order of food that always accompanied these monthly outings.

“Looks like the Chinese contingent is here.” Chanyeol nodded towards the door. The other trainees turned their attention to the three men walking through the door, three men who were clearly ignoring the adoring stares of the young patrons. It made Minseok wonder what it would be like once they debuted, as they drew attention as trainees already.

The Chinese trainees at SM Entertainment tended to stick together- partially out of comfort and partially out of necessity. In the uber-competitive environment of SM Entertainment no one was safe. If you had a flaw, fellow trainees would exploit it for their own gain. Unfortunately, many saw a language barrier as a very real barrier to debuting, and many Chinese and Japanese trainees had quit after they were humiliated time and time again for their lack of knowledge of the Korean language.

Kris, whose Chinese name was something Minseok could not pronounce correctly (a painful lesson in humiliation), walked ahead of the other two men. A tall man with crushed dreams of a basketball career, Kris was able to withstand the brunt of the bullying due to his fluency in English – an envy to most of the trainees. He had been around as long as Jongin; in that time he had made some close friends.

Behind Kris trailed Zhang Yixing, one of the kindest people that Minseok had ever met. He did not seem to have a competitive streak and he did whatever he could to help his fellow trainees if they were struggling. He had a temper, but showed it rarely and only when he was extremely upset. He was close with Luhan, the two of them often pulling pranks on each other.

Next to Yixing walked Luhan. Minseok noticed he looked exhausted.

Junmyeon stood and waved them over to the table, the other boys scooting over in the semi-circular booth to accommodate the newcomers. Minseok moved over, Luhan sitting down next to him.

“Are you okay?” Minseok asked, slightly worried at how tired Luhan looked. While they had been practicing Luhan had made more mistakes than usual, managing to step on Sehun’s foot not once but three times in the course of the night.

“Yeah.” Luhan tried to smile, but it wasn’t very convincing.

As the rest of the group indulged in more whining about the noticeable lack of food on the table, Minseok stayed quiet. Every now and then he glanced over at Luhan.

“Mingssok, I am okay.” Luhan spat out, clearly annoyed.

“Sorry. I was just worried.” Minseok said quietly. He didn’t bother correcting Luhan’s pronunciation of his name. It still happened now and then – Luhan saying Minseok’s name incorrectly.

After a few awkward moments Luhan stood and excused himself, walking towards the bathroom.

“He said his girlfriend called him.” Kris explained loudly once Luhan was out of sight, gaining the attention of the entire table. “Seems she broke up with him.”

“Luhan?” Minseok asked dumbly. Clearly Kris was referring to Luhan so it was silly question.

“He is probably lying about it. Is his girlfriend Fan Bingbing?” Jongin giggled, Chanyeol giving him a high five for the joke.

“That isn’t very nice.” Junmyeon scolded the younger men.

“Yeah, no kidding. How do you think Fan Bingbing would feel about it?” Kris joked, earning some laughs and a cross table high five from Chanyeol. It was a well-accepted fact among all of the trainees, Chinese or Korean, that Luhan was not exactly the most honest young man in the world.

Minseok’s mind was racing. So Luhan had a girlfriend? Or was it a lie? If it was a lie, then what was the truth? Something was wrong…and why did Minseok care so much? Why did the news make his heart beat a little faster, his attention turn from his growling stomach to thoughts of Luhan and some girl?

Minseok stood up and stalked towards the restroom, ignoring the snarky comments that followed him.

Pushing open the door to the restroom, Minseok was greeted by darkness. Fumbling along the wall, his hand finally found the light switch. The lights snapped on, revealing an empty room. Minseok was sure that Luhan had come this way. Turning around, he walked back down the hall.

Where else could Luhan have gone? The only other places to go were the women’s restroom or out the restaurants side door. Guessing Luhan wouldn’t barge into the ladies’ room, Minseok went through the side door. He shivered as he stepped into the cool night air.

Minseok looked around. There were a few pedestrians walking down the sidewalk, one of them clearly intoxicated. There was a couple sitting on the bench at the bus stop half a block away. But no Luhan.

“I told you I can’t do that.”

Minseok turned around, moving towards the sound of the voice. It was Luhan, he was talking in hushed tones. Walking around the building, Minseok caught sight of him.

Luhan was leaning against the wall of the restaurant, his phone to his ear. Minseok jumped back, suddenly feeling guilty for having invaded Luhan’s private conversation. But then, for some reason, Minseok stayed. He didn’t want to leave – he wanted to hear what came next.

“Sorry.” Luhan’s voice cracked, Minseok wondered if he was crying.

A few seconds passed before Minseok heard Luhan’s footsteps nearing. Minseok turned, scurrying back through the side door before Luhan could catch him eavesdropping.

Minseok arrived back at the booth a minute before Luhan, he plopped down on the bench and tried to catch his breath, hoping to erase all guilt of eavesdropping. Chanyeol shot him a curious look, but quickly turned his attention back to teasing Kyungsoo. When Luhan came back, however, all eyes were on him. Specifically his swollen eyes.

“Are you okay?” Kris asked.

“Yeah.” Luhan took a sip of his water, “Hey, girls are a dime a dozen, right?”

“Not in my world.” Jongin pouted.

“Really?” Luhan perked up, his face taking on an expression that Minseok later learned meant one thing – he was lying “Once, at my high school, to raise funds for charity we had a dating auction. I had thirty bidders for a date with me in the first five minutes.”

“Really?” Sehun raised an eyebrow, half believing and half discounting Luhan’s words.

“Yep.” Luhan looked proud “The winning bid was thirty thousand Yuan.”

“Was it Fan Bingbing who won?” Jongin nudged Chanyeol, laughing at the in-joke.

“Ha! As if. But I did go to school with her cousin.” Luhan laughed “I even met her once.”

“I am sure you did, hyung. FOOD IS HERE!” Chanyeol leapt up as the waitress approached, awkwardly carrying the tray loaded with more food than she was accustomed to delivering.

Minseok ate heartily, but looked over at Luhan now and then. The man showed no sign of crying, no sign of distress, and his fatigue seemed to have disappeared completely. Luhan continued to be a mystery that Minseok could not solve.

***

“Dormitories!” Minseok knew his voice raised an octave when he was surprised, nervous, or excited. He was currently surprised and nervous, so the change in tone was a given.

“Will this be a problem, Minseok?” The Manager stared at the eldest trainee, clearly wondering if Minseok was about to make a scene.

Minseok knew it couldn’t be a problem, not if he wanted to debut.

SM Entertainment had offered dormitories to trainees for years – if they did not have a place to live in Seoul that is. The dorms of this kind were always rentals, something the trainees had to pay for. They were exorbitantly expensive given the fact trainees were not paid. It was no surprise very few took SM up on the offer. These were the type of dorms that Minseok had been offered in the past. This offer, however, was different. It meant something different.

Minseok had heard the manager’s words loud and clear:

“You will not be charged for your residency, however you need to sign a contract prior to moving in. The contract will confirm your intent and purpose to debut with SM Entertainment, exclude you from leaving without a penalty, and absolve SM Entertainment of all of the usual legal jargon.”

“It won’t be a problem, I was just surprised. Sorry.” Minseok grinned his crooked and gummy smile, looking around the room he saw the other eight members of the pre-debut team in similar states of surprise and excitement.

“So we are debuting soon?!” Chanyeol was practically jumping up and down with the news.

“Not so fast. You guys still have some work to do. But trust me, this is a big step.” The manager cautioned.

They moved in a week later, with a couple of day delay for Sehun and Jongin to arrive. The two younger boys were still in high school and their parents were wary of completely relinquishing their sons to a life outside of the family home.

The day everyone (minus Sehun and Jongin) arrived at the three bedroom dorm was memorable. Minseok mostly remembered it for the chaos of the place and the way it made him feel. He was a self-described clean freak, when he encountered messes he had a bit of a hard time breathing until they were put right. His behavior had earned him more than a few words from his parents, who were often on the receiving end of his strict cleanliness. He hated to see things out of order and would diligently right every object he saw.

Teasing of Minseok’s cleanliness habit had occurred - by his fellow trainees and his schoolmates. It was brushed off though, because wanting to see things neat and orderly was controllable, Minseok thought. Or maybe it wasn’t brushed off, when he considered it. But he didn’t want to consider it, he didn’t want to consider the fact that words still followed him from elementary and secondary school, questioning and mocking his need to put things in order.

Minseok retreated to the room that he had been assigned, pushing his two suitcases quickly. He wanted to be away from the piles of boxes, the kitchenware, and the stray cleaning supplies that were scattered all around. Because that would be a bad way to start life in the dorms – cleaning everything up and telling everyone to put their things in order.

Minseok took out his neatly folded piles of clothes, arranging them in the large white dresser that sat on the far end of the room. He wasn’t sure who his roommates would be, they only received their assigned room as they arrived. The room was small for three people, but it was bigger than Minseok’s bedroom back at his parents’ house. Bunk beds sat along the wall facing the door, a single bed was on the adjoining wall. Minseok had put his suitcases on the single bed, but honestly he wasn’t stuck on where he would sleep.

Minseok pushed the dresser drawer shut, the last pile of clothing he had packed carefully put away. He was suddenly lost, not knowing what to do, when his roommate arrived and saved him from his confusion.

“Roomie?!” Luhan smiled “Of course us old guys should room together!”

“Hi Luhan.” Minseok spread his arms out “Welcome to paradise.”

“Says the boy who was shipwrecked.” Luhan chuckled “Anything should be paradise compared to that.”

Minseok blushed, remembering his lie “Well, sure.” He cleared his throat “Which bed do you want?”

“Who do you think our other roommate is?” Luhan looked a bit mischievous as he asked, like he was planning an unfortunate fate for the third man to share the room.

“You do anything to me while I am asleep and I will kick your .” Kris strolled into the room, a large black duffle bag slung over his shoulder.

“I guess they did put the oldest guys together.” Minseok wasn’t exactly disappointed the room assignments had ended up like this. He got along well with Luhan and he had never had a problem with Kris.

“Which means you two get the bunk beds – I fly solo.” Kris dumped his duffle bag on the single bed, next to where Minseok’s empty suitcases sat.

“Fine by me. Baozi and I will be the object of jealousy for all bunk bed-less kids everywhere. I GET THE TOP BUNK!”

Minseok laughed as Luhan clambered up the ladder, flopping down on the bed. He had no doubt that life in the dorms would prove interesting, very interesting indeed.

***

Luhan pulled Minseok aside one night, right before they drifted off to sleep. It had been a month since they had moved into the dormitories. Ever since they had signed their pre-debut contract their training schedules had increased in intensity. It was no longer an option to skip training, show up whenever, or leave when you pleased. SM Entertainment was making it known – they had invested in the pre-debut team and they expected an investment in return. The result was nine sleepy boys retiring to their dorm every night, eager for a few hours of sleep. Minseok often felt guilty for Jongin and Sehun, who were balancing studies on top of their rigorous schedule.

“What is it Luhan?” Minseok sounded annoyed, he knew it. He was just so tired.

“Did you hear about the new kid? The martial arts guy?” Luhan whispered, looking around to make sure no one was listening. No one was, since Luhan and Minseok were the only two people still awake at this hour. They were standing in the living room, Luhan having stopped Minseok as he headed for their bedroom.

“I heard.” Minseok was not sure why a new kid was a reason to stay awake. In two and a half years as a trainee at SM Entertainment there had been a lot of new kids.

“I thought maybe I could be that guy.” Luhan looked dead serious “The martial arts guy of the group.”

Minseok, his mind hazy from fatigue, laughed out loud at the statement “How could you be a martial artist?”

“I trained for five years in four different martial arts.” Luhan answered proudly “They just have never asked me about it.”

Minseok tensed. Maybe it was because he was so exhausted – no, it was completely because he was so exhausted that he opened his mouth. “That is a lie, Luhan.”

Luhan’s expression didn’t change, his demeanor didn’t register any kind of emotion at Minseok’s accusation. Instead he perked up “You wouldn’t want to believe it, would you?”

Minseok squinted, raising his hand to rub his eyes. He was so tired. He shouldn’t have said that, yet it was somehow freeing on his end. Somehow freeing to finally vocalize the behavior he had stood up for, yet always known was beyond suspicious. “Luhan, why do you lie so much?”

Luhan laughed. But he didn’t address the question. He flat out ignored it, which annoyed Minseok. “Time for bed, baozi.”

Minseok watched Luhan stalk towards the bedroom, seemingly unaffected by his words.

The next morning Luhan did not mention what they had talked about. He didn’t mention it in the afternoon either. He never mentioned it, in fact. Even when a tall, lanky Chinese boy bowed down in front of the pre-debut team, introducing himself in clumsy Korean “Haung Zitao. It is nice to meet you.”

***

It was a natural progression. From fellow trainees to roommates to friends. Living together afforded Luhan and Minseok more time to talk – when they had time that is. Luhan had put his admission at Yonsei University on hold indefinitely as he continued training. Minseok’s life had become practice, so on his day off he often found himself lost and slightly bored. Still, six days a week they did nothing but train from morning until night, and they were always together.

Then Luhan found out Minseok liked coffee and soccer. The rest was a blur- an invitation after practice now and then turned into a set café date every Sunday – their one day a week they had off. A month had passed since the new kid, Tao, had joined and in that time Luhan and Minseok had become nearly inseparable. After practice they grabbed coffee if they were not too tired, in the morning they woke up before the others and ate breakfast together. Luhan always paid on their outings and Minseok stopped offering to pick up the bill. They fell into an easy routine.

When Luhan told his tall tales over coffee, Minseok took note. Like he could unravel a reason for his lies if he heard enough of them. After a while he found himself listening, not questioning, a shift in matters only highlighted when he started to obsess again. Why did Luhan lie?

When Minseok went on a cleaning and organizing spree, often after talking on the phone to his parents, Luhan sat on his bed and watched as the older man fluttered about the room, cleaning and organizing for hours. Minseok’s habit of obsessing over organization was an adorable personality trait in Luhan’s opinion – even if the other boys tended to be annoyed by it.

At night, when Kris was already asleep, snoring loudly, they talked. About the day, about the routine they were practicing or the song that was giving them the most trouble. Minseok talked a bit about what it was like when he first joined SM. Luhan talked about his college. They joked about when they would debut, what they would do on stage. They discussed soccer scores, music, and cars.

One night Luhan invited Minseok to sleep on the top bunk after Kris complained that their chatter kept him up. It was an invitation that made Minseok feel..a little nervous.

Minseok scurried up the ladder, maneuvering himself into the bed next to Luhan. It was a tight fit, the bed wasn’t very big, but it worked if they both laid on their sides.

Minseok tried to relax, but it was hard. Luhan was nearly pressed up against him, their faces only inches apart. Minseok didn’t want to consider, didn’t want to try to understand, why his heart was suddenly beating faster.

“What are you thinking about baozi?” Luhan asked. Minseok could smell his minty breath, smell his freshly shampooed hair. And it became harder to breathe.

“Nothing.” Minseok lied, “Just wondering what we are going to practice tomorrow.”

“Baozi.” Luhan smiled. Minseok felt like he wanted run away, because that smile did not make him feel any more at ease “Were you happy? Growing up, I mean?”

That question was enough to snap Minseok back to reality, steer his mind away from confusing thoughts of Luhan. “I…guess so.”

“Oh.” Luhan sighed “I hope you were.”

Minseok didn’t want to talk about growing up. He didn’t want to talk about his parents or his family or what it was like before.

“Can you tell me about it? About your childhood? I bet you were a cute kid.” Luhan smiled again, but this time Minseok didn’t feel any effect. He was too busy closing his mind up, shutting his willingness to share down.

“I don’t have much to say.” Minseok responded quietly “I’m tired. We should go to sleep.”

Minseok tried to sit up, to go back to his bed, but Luhan stopped him by putting his arm around his shoulders, and pulling him back down to the bed “Can you sleep here tonight? I mean, if that isn’t weird or anything…”

Minseok blinked. When he didn’t answer Luhan explained “It is just nice to have someone to sleep next to sometimes. Sorry if that is strange.”

“No, that’s okay. I can sleep here.” Minseok laid back down.

Luhan closed his eyes, “Good night Baozi.”

“Good night Lu.” Minseok shut his eyes, and tried to focus on his breathing. Tried to focus on not thinking about the past and not realizing where he was at the moment. It was a good thing he actually was so tired, because he drifted off to sleep within a few minutes, Luhan snoring lightly by his side.

***

A week later Minseok was stuck. It was impossible to have everything orderly in such a place, he knew it. But he didn’t want to admit it.

Everyone had gone to bed- other than Sehun and Jongin who had both returned to their respective homes that Saturday night for time with their family. Minseok suspected Jongin had actually skipped the home visit to go hang out with his friends, but he kept quiet about it. He was young, he should still have fun now and then, Minseok thought.

The cups didn’t fit neatly together in the cupboard and the dish towels seemed to disappear. Both situations nearly gave Minseok a heart attack as he tried to straighten the kitchen. Having a cleaning woman come in three times a week seemed to be a fruitless effort, Minseok thought, since the place was always a pig sty.

“Neat and clean, neat and clean.” Yixing joked, his words said without malicious intent.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Minseok smiled at the Chinese boy, only turning away from his cleaning for a second to give his greeting.

“Minseok hyung.” Yixing said quietly “I am worr-“

Minseok’s phone rang, the shrill cry of the default ringtone interrupting Yixing’s words. Minseok pulled his phone out of his pocket, checking the caller ID. It was his Mother.

“Sorry, I have to take this.”

Yixing nodded, leaving the room quietly as Minseok answered the phone.

“He has a phone call.” Yixing mouthed to Luhan, letting his friend know that his fact-finding mission had failed. Luhan nodded, but didn’t leave. In fact, he crept nearer the kitchen, standing just out of Minseok’s sight. It was wrong to listen, Luhan knew it, but it didn’t stop him.

“If that is what you want.” Minseok’s voice was quiet, maybe even a little sad Luhan thought.

“I can’t send anything. I don’t have it.”

“Hm. Goodbye Mom.”

Luhan waited. He heard Minseok open one of the cupboards, then a slam. Turning the corner, Luhan cautiously made himself known.

“Minseok?” He asked shyly.

Minseok was vigorously scrubbing down the counter top, not bothering to turn around. “Hey Luhan.”

“Is everything okay?”

“Yes, it is just this place is messy. I just want to see it clean.” Minseok’s words were stilted, short.

Luhan stood motionless, watching as Minseok tried to scrub away dirt that could not be seen by anyone but himself. Luhan watched, trying to pretend like Minseok was just being Minseok, trying to pretend like the both of them were not hiding a pain they could not discuss with each other.

***

They were all tired. Yet they still went out.

Sunday, that was their day. That was the day they had off, the one day a week their practice schedule was blissfully empty.

“We are going to sleep all day tomorrow anyway, why not sleep off a hangover in the process?” Kris had suggested, clearly looking for some time away from the dorm life.

“Can we?” Luhan felt like going out might get them in trouble.

“It is our off day tomorrow, right?” Kris smirked, “Let’s go boys.”

That is how it began, Minseok remembered, though his memories were a bit hazy in retrospect. Several shots later and he was beginning to really think that Kris should become their lead singer. The noreabang was blaring, and the Soju bottles were being rapidly emptied.

“This was a good idea, coming out like this.” Junmyeon clapped his hands slowly, “Seriously though, us old guys should do this more often.”

Yixing nudged Junmyeon, gaining his attention. “Kris hyung is a mess.”

Junmyeon giggled as he watched a very drunk Kris attempt to belt out IU’s “Good Day”, complete with dance moves.

“Baozi, let’s get out of here.”

Minseok knew that Luhan had grabbed his arm, was leading him out of the noreabang, not bothering to explain they were leaving. He knew that much, but his world was becoming confusing with all of the alcohol he had drank.

“Where are we going?” Minseok asked, wondering if Luhan was as drunk as he was.

“Away from those drunk guys.” Luhan replied. Minseok suddenly felt extremely self-conscious that he was buzzing so hard, but then Luhan began hiccupping.

“Those drunk guys, huh?” Minseok teased, still letting Luhan lead him with a hand on his wrist.

Luhan hailed a taxi. Luhan gave the driver directions, which Minseok assumed led back to the dorm. He wasn’t really listening to what Luhan was saying though, he was busy staring out the window and trying not to see double. By the time the taxi driver started going the wrong way, Minseok sobered up.

“Where are we going?”

Luhan reached his hand over, unseen in the dark interior of the taxi cab. His hand felt along the seat until it was grasping onto Minseok’s hand lightly, testing the waters.

“Is it okay if we hang out for a couple more hours?”

Minseok swallowed. He could feel Luhan’s index finger slightly caress his knuckles, back and forth, teasing. “Sure. Yeah, that would be cool.”

Luhan moved swiftly, smoothly, capturing Minseok’s hand in his own. “Good, we should be there soon.”

There, Minseok learned, was a house a few blocks from Yonsei. A college party was in full swing, Luhan grasping Minseok’s wrist and leading him into the chaos.

Minseok tensed, felt uncomfortable. Why was Luhan dragging him here – a place that seemed to be an afterthought for Luhan. Luhan had talked about his time at Yonsei, but mostly about the academics and hardly ever about any friends he had made there. He had apparently brought Kris here one time, but Kris said they spent most of the time with Luhan nervously trying to explain what each building was used for and not catching up with anyone he knew.

“Why are we here?” Minseok asked, the loud music that was blaring drowning out any chance of Luhan hearing his question.

Luhan never let go of Minseok’s wrist, keeping him behind him as they maneuvered through the crowded rooms. Once they reached the kitchen, Luhan stopped.

“Is that Luhan? “ A man, who was clearly very intoxicated, stumbled up from where he sat at the kitchen table “Whatcha doin’ here you lying piece of .”

Minseok tensed. He doubted Luhan would be very effective in a fight, and it certainly seemed like they had just walked into a hostile environment.

“Luhan!” A girl, who Minseok noticed was very, very pretty, interrupted the drunk guy’s rambling “What are you doing here? I didn’t expect to see you…”

“I just wanted to let you know I am over you, I moved on, I found someone who I love.” Luhan announced confidently, Minseok noticing he slurred his words a bit. Apparently Luhan was drunker than Minseok had thought.

Minseok looked at the woman, she was wearing a tight shirt and a short skirt. She wore too much makeup. So this was his ex-girlfriend? Minseok suddenly wanted to leave. He was angry that Luhan had brought him here, angry that he was now standing in the middle of some sort of showdown Luhan was having with his ex. A showdown likely brought on by courage gained from booze.

The woman rolled her eyes. She was leaning against the kitchen counter, a full glass of wine in her hand. “That so? You found someone else to listen to all that you talk?”

Minseok tried to tug his hand out of Luhan’s hold, but he couldn’t, Luhan held on too tight.

“Like you should talk.” Luhan narrowed his eyes at the woman “After you slept with half the freshmen class.”

“Lu, let’s go.” Minseok tried a different approach, to drag Luhan out of there with him instead of running away by himself.

“No, Baozi. I want her to see this.” Luhan moved swiftly, surprising Minseok. He never had a chance to move away as Luhan turned, grabbing Minseok’s cheeks and pulling him into a kiss.

“Ha! I knew you were gay. Gross.” The woman put her wine glass down hard, the stem breaking on the countertop.

Luhan didn’t seem to hear her. He broke the kiss, turned around, and dragged a breathless Minseok out of the house behind him. Once they were in the cool night air, walking up the street away from the house, Minseok finally let loose.

“Why in the hell did you kiss me!?” He finally succeeded in yanking his wrist free of Luhan.

“Didn’t you like it?” Luhan asked- not bothering to look at Minseok, he just continued walking.

Minseok was confused. “You didn’t do that because you liked it. You did it to prove a point to that girl, didn’t you?”

“What if I did?” Luhan answered, his words short “We should go back to the dorms now.”

Minseok had it. He stopped walking.

Minseok tried to breath in and out deeply, to calm down, but he couldn’t “You just dragged me here, used me to upset your trashy ex-girlfriend, and now you want to go back to the dorms like it didn’t just happen? What the Luhan. Stop lying.”

Luhan finally stopped walking. He turned around and stared. Minseok saw the tears in Luhan’s eyes, which diminished his anger slightly but not enough for him to just pretend like nothing had just happened.

“What if what I said was true? What if I love you?” Luhan said quietly.

“That is ridiculous.” Minseok wanted to laugh from the frustration of it all “You suddenly love me? Mr. Ladies Man Luhan? Was that before or after you invented clear tape and your parents met the President of the United States?”

Luhan was crying now, but he didn’t say another word. He looked hurt and Minseok regretted his words, yet again. Luhan turned and started walking. Minseok had no choice but to follow. They were silent the entire cab ride back to the dorms, both acutely sober, both acutely aware of what had been said and done that night.

***

“Are you and Luhan hyung fighting?” Sehun had asked Minseok over breakfast. It had been a few days since they had gone out to the noreabang and it was quickly very apparent to the other guys in the dorm that something had happened between the two. Luhan no longer joked around with Minseok, they no longer were talking when they had breaks in practice.

“No.” Minseok said rather quickly. He didn’t want to consider if they were fighting – or more specifically (since they were clearly fighting) what they were fighting about.

Sehun may be young but he wasn’t a fool, he didn’t believe Minseok for a second.

“Is that why you have cleaned the kitchen five times every night when we get home from practice? Or is there some other reason?” Sehun asked, slightly nervous at how bold he was being “Because Hyung, I know you clean when you are upset.”

“Ha. Funny kid.” Minseok finished his rice, pushing the bowl towards the center of the table “Don’t you have school today?”

Sehun looked annoyed. Minseok was trying to play the age card to avoid talking about whatever had happened between him and Luhan.

“Fine, you don’t have to tell me about it, Hyung. But whatever it is, please fix it. I am afraid if you guys don’t get along they will kick one of you off the team.”

Minseok didn’t acknowledge Sehun’s words, but he was very aware that they were not unfounded. Their debut hinged on teamwork. While they competed with each other, they had to still work together well if they ever hoped to debut. They were not going to be solo artists after all.

Minseok had seen more than one trainee cut from the team because he didn’t get along with the others, causing friction during practice. A fight or disagreement, if it became longstanding, was a liability and often forced management to make a choice on which person (or side of the fight) they wanted to retain.

He knew that his standoff with Luhan could not continue indefinitely but he was resolved that he would not be the one to break it. Luhan needed to apologize for his antics that night, and only then would Minseok even consider talking to him again. And so far Luhan was avoiding Minseok as much as Minseok was avoiding him.

The tension continued through the week, bleeding into the next weekend. Sunday arrived and Minseok made a point to go play basketball with the new kid, Tao.

Tao could barely speak Korean, but somehow even with limited language skills, he had become attached at the hip to Sehun in only a short period of time.

“How do you know what he is talking about? How does he know what you are talking about?” Chanyeol teased Sehun one day after practice.

“We use hand gestures a lot.” Sehun grinned. Minseok thought the entire thing was a bit fishy. He had known Sehun for a while now and he had never seen him look so damn enthusiastic about spending time with anyone. So it was only natural that a game of basketball with Tao meant Sehun was playing basketball too. Pretty soon word got out and Yixing and Kris were part of the game.

They played rough, elbows and shoves when they felt like it. It wasn’t at all like the times he played with Luhan. Luhan tended to be super competitive when he played but surprisingly gentle when it came to hard contact during sports.

At one point Kris’s elbow met Minseok’s jaw, knocking his head back hard. Kris made the basket, but quickly whirled around to make sure Minseok was okay.

Minseok held his jaw, flinching. It hurt quite a bit and would probably leave a bruise.

“Sorry, sorry!” Kris looked worried “Will you be okay?”

“Yeah, I am fine. I think it might bruise though.” Minseok tried to shrug it off.

“Just tell Luhan you got in a fight and he should see the other guy.” Kris suggested. Sehun burst out laughing while Tao looked confused. Kris quickly explained what he had said in Mandarin, Tao nodding and laughing as he finally understood the joke.

Minseok was not amused. “Very funny.”

“Ge, when are you going to talk to Luhan?” Yixing had jogged up to Minseok, having seen the impact to Minseok’s mouth he was worried. After Kris’s statement Yixing was the only one – other than Minseok – who wasn’t laughing.

“Let’s play ball.” Minseok completely ignored Yixing’s question, which was rude, he knew it. But he wasn’t going to talk about what happened. Not in front of Kris, Tao, and Sehun.

“He is really sad about it.” Yixing wasn’t ready to let Minseok ignore him “He really likes you.”

Minseok snapped. He didn’t want to talk about it, not here, but if Yixing wouldn’t quit than he would shut him up “Luhan is a liar who uses people. Why should I talk to him?”

It was vicious, it was cold hearted, and it was the worst thing he could say. Especially with Luhan staring at him from across the basketball court. Minseok felt sick. When had Luhan gotten there?

“Bad timing bro.” Kris looked from Luhan to Minseok “I invited him to come play, thought it might clear up whatever stupid thing you two are fighting about.”

Minseok wanted to yell at Kris for inviting Luhan, but he wasn’t mad about that. He was mad at himself, for saying that in front of all of them, for calling Luhan a liar in front of him. Because deep down Minseok didn’t hate Luhan, he was just mad at him. He didn’t hate him at all, in fact he liked him. He liked him too much, in a way that made Minseok feel uncomfortable when he really thought about it. And now he had something to apologize for, if Luhan ever spoke to him again that is. Two wrongs would never make a right.

Luhan had, without a word, left. Minseok stalked after him, no longer interested in playing basketball.

He found him at the park near the dorms, sitting on a bench near the soccer field where they usually played on Sundays. Minseok sat down next to him, nervous, feeling like he wanted to clean and organize the entire world if it would set things right. How had he gotten over his anger so quickly? Why could he only feel regret for his own actions?

“I am sorry, I didn’t mean that.” Minseok stuttered.

Luhan remained silent.

“If you hate me I understand.” Minseok followed up. The waves of anxiety, of helplessness were washing over him, making it hard to breathe “I wouldn’t blame you if you don’t want to talk to me. I am a up. I always have been one since I was young. Why do you think I train harder and longer than the rest of you? Because I can’t do it otherwise.”

“Stop playing the victim.” Luhan finally answered, and Minseok wasn’t expecting his response.

“I am not playing the victim.” Minseok hiccupped, he hadn’t realized he was holding his breath.

Luhan sighed. “We are both playing the victim, Baozi. I think we are both good at it.”

“Are you mad at me?” Minseok knew it was a dumb question.

“No, not really. I am mad at myself.”

“Me too. I mean, mad at myself not you.”

“I am sorry though, I am.” Luhan turned, finally looking at Minseok “Can we still be friends?”

“I am sorry too and yeah, if you want to be.” Minseok noticed that Luhan’s hands were shaking, ever so slightly. He could see it as Luhan tried to grasp his hands tightly together, to pretend like he was calm and collected.

“Then let’s end this . Here and now. Friends?” Luhan extended his shaking hand, Minseok took it.

“Friends.” Minseok, sweaty palms and all, shook Luhan’s hand.

It was the first time they ever fought, but it would not be the last. It was, as Minseok realized later, also the first time he truly forgave Luhan for lying, and didn’t really need to know why he had done so.

***

“Two new members?!” Chanyeol barked his words, verbalizing the surprise the rest of the room was feeling at the manager’s announcement.

“That’s right.” The manager smiled. “So it is probably best if the rest of you keep practicing.”’

It had been rare to see two complete and total newbies enter the pre-debut team. Tao was an exception, Luhan and Kyungsoo had done it in a relatively short period of time. The rest of them had spent months or years working hard to get where they were. And now there were two complete strangers that were about to thrown into their team without a day of training under their belt.

“Guys, it will be okay.” Junmyeon tried to reassure the room, but he was nervous too. If the two new guys were so good they could skip the usual climb through the trainee ranks, none of them were safe. SM had yet to give the pre-debut team any real hint of when they might debut or how many of them would debut. With two more guys in the mix the competition had just reached new heights.

“They start tomorrow. Try to play nice, okay?” The manager left them with those words.

“What did he say?” Tao asked, using one of the only Korean phrases he had learned so far.

Yixing explained what had happened in rapid fire Mandarin, Tao turning a bit paler as he learned of what had everyone so worked up.

“Do you think we will debut this year? Next maybe?” Jongin asked quietly. He had been training for four years. He didn’t want to think about not debuting soon. He didn’t want to think about being replaced by someone who had just signed with the company.

“He said they were singers, not dancers. I am sure you will debut soon.” Kyungsoo noted glumly. His talent was singing – he was in danger not Jongin.

“Hey, hey, let’s try not to panic.” Minseok tried to act like a voice of reason. He was the oldest of all of them after all. Plus he hadn’t missed the fact Junmyeon looked depressed, shedding his usual bright and calm persona. “We all work hard, we know we are good, right? How many times has something like this happened?”

“We weren’t on the pre-debut team then.” Chanyeol countered.

“Maybe they want to debut twelve of us?” Minseok suggested.

“Ha. As if.” Kris stood up “I am going back to the practice room. Seems like we all need to try a bit harder, huh.”

Minseok watched him go, the other boys slinking after him one by one until only Luhan and him remained behind.

“What will you do…if you don’t debut, I mean.” Luhan asked, clearly worried.

Minseok considered the question. He didn’t really have a plan if he didn’t debut. He had thrown his whole young life, his whole life outside of high school, into his training. He didn’t have college to fall back on like Luhan. He didn’t have a wealthy family to fall back on like Junmyeon. “Probably join the army.”

“The army?!” Luhan’s eyes grew wide “For two years!”

“That is the usual enlistment period.” Minseok didn’t want to think about how terrifying it would be to enter the army, leave everything behind, and admit defeat. “What would you do?”

“Pitch a tent on your army base and wait for you to be discharged.” Luhan laughed, his tension seemingly disappearing instantly.

“Really? I think the army might get a bit upset about that.” Minseok needed Luhan’s humor at a time like this.

“I have connections, they won’t be able to run me off the base.” Luhan bragged.

“Connections, huh?” Minseok rolled his eyes “The president or?”

“Something like that.” Luhan winked “Now let’s go practice, Baozi.”

***

The two new kids were loud. Really loud. Especially the one named Byun Baekhyun. Minseok was pretty sure he hadn’t shut up since he had arrived at the practice room. Minseok was seriously hoping it was his way of dealing with being nervous or something.

Chanyeol had latched onto the newbies almost instantly, but the others were warming up to them rather quickly as well.

Kim Jongdae was a thin kid, with an amazing ability to hit high notes. He seemed to be good natured, perhaps more so than Baekhyun. Baekhyun was the talker, rambling on and on without stopping. His voice was amazing, clear and higher than Kyungsoo’s, yet lower than Jongdae’s. He came from one of the provinces and he quickly rattled off everything that was different in Seoul as compared to where he had grown up.

“Do you think they know how to be quiet?” Luhan whispered to Minseok as the day dragged on, the chatter never-ending.

“It doesn’t appear so.” Minseok crossed his arms, watching the new kids. On one hand he was happy they were assimilating into the group so smoothly. On the other hand he couldn’t help but be slightly threatened by them. That was until it came time for dance practice.

It was evident Jongdae had never dance before, Baekhyun was only marginally better. Jongin and Yixing quickly took them under their wings, agreeing to help them after their official practice schedule had ended. Minseok felt a little less threatened now that he knew they couldn’t dance, because no matter how many of them ended up debuting, they were debuting with SM Entertainment. Dance was their centerpiece.

“Do you want to go for coffee after practice?” Luhan slung an arm around Minseok, pulling him closer to his side.

It was like this lately, more so than usual. Ever since they had fought Luhan had become clingier, more affectionate. They had even taken to sleeping in the same bed most nights, passing out exhausted with little space in between them. They never talked about why they did it, slept together, they just climbed into the top or bottom bunk and passed out.

On one hand Minseok thought it was comforting, all of the physical contact. It raised a few eyebrows now and then from the other guys – especially when Luhan took to back hugging Minseok anytime he felt like it. Minseok was not uncomfortable with all of the touching, until he started to realize he craved it.

“Sure.” Minseok wiped the sweat off his forehead, taking a gulp of water before handing the bottle to Luhan.

“I have something I want to tell you.” Luhan announced, not willing to say anything else no matter how much Minseok questioned him.

It was well past one in the morning when Luhan and Minseok walked into the nearly deserted café. With their often late night schedules they had extensive knowledge of which cafes were open late. It was a necessity for their coffee habit.

Sitting at a small table near the back of the café, far from the windows and the baristas, tucked away in a little space of their own, they enjoyed their Americanos.

“So what is this big secret?” Minseok asked, making a sound of satisfaction as he sipped the warm drink.

“I have a girlfriend.”

Minseok nearly choked. He coughed, Luhan reaching forward to pat his back in surprise “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, sorry, went down the wrong pipe.” Minseok tried to stop hacking, tried to act like the news didn’t bother him. When had Luhan had time to find a girlfriend? They were together day and night.

“Who…”Minseok tried to regain his composure “Is she?”

“A trainee. I met her the other day when I went to the cafeteria. She asked for my number and we texted yesterday and today she asked me out.” Luhan looked happy.

Minseok wanted to say things that didn’t make sense. He wanted to ask Luhan how he could…do that. But those types of words meant more than what Minseok wanted them to mean. They meant something Minseok wasn’t ready to consider. They were blind, angry thoughts that raged in his mind as he stared at Luhan. Luhan who was grinning ear to ear.

“And you said yes?”

“Of course. She is really pretty Baozi. Look.” Luhan held up his cell phone, displaying a picture of a girl. She was smiling up at the camera, clearly posing. She was pretty, Minseok had to admit it. Much better than the overdone tart that he had seen at the Yonsei college party. Still, it bothered Minseok.

“I don’t know her.” Minseok tried to remember seeing the girl before, but he had no memory of her.

“She just started a couple of weeks ago. Seems she is being put into the pre-debut rotation.” Luhan pulled his phone back, flipping it over he stared at the picture looking like a lovesick fool “Her name is Qian Ya. She is from China.”

“Well, congratulations.” Minseok took another drink of coffee, this time burning his tongue as he gulped down the hot drink when he should have been sipping it. He tried to bear the pain, not willing to make another scene.

“Thanks. Hey, she has a friend. Maybe we could double date on Saturday night or something?” Luhan looked too happy for Minseok to say no, so he said yes.

“You know if we debut they are going to ask us to break up with anyone we are seeing.” Minseok felt petty saying it, but it was the truth “At least for a while they won’t want us to focus on anything but work.”

“But that is a suggestion, not a rule, right? As long as we can manage our private lives everything will be cool. Other people have done it.” Luhan dismissed the warning.

Minseok went back to drinking his coffee, listening as Luhan gushed about how wonderful his new girlfriend was. Minseok wondered how much of what he was saying were lies.

***

Junmyeon had to stop Minseok from cleaning the bathroom for the third time that day.

“Hyung, just leave it. Please?” Junmyeon flashed big eyes, trying to look cute as he urged Minseok to stop his cleaning spree.

Minseok knew he was doing it again. He knew why too. Two hours and counting until his double date with Luhan.

“Baozi! Come in here and let me know if this looks okay?” Luhan called from their bedroom.

Minseok shut his eyes tightly for a moment, a move that did not go unnoticed by Junmyeon “Hey, you don’t have to go, hyung.”

Minseok nodded “I know.”

Minseok walked into the bedroom to find Luhan with half of his closet strewn on Minseok’s bed. When Luhan noticed Minseok was scowling at the mess, he quickly apologized “Sorry, I will clean it up, I promise. I just didn’t have anywhere to throw my stuff as I went through it.”

Kris was asleep on his bed, snoring away, making Luhan’s reason for making a mess on Minseok’s bed more reasonable. “You better.”

“I will, I will. Hey, do you think this shirt looks good?” Luhan turned around like he was modeling high fashion or something.

Minseok took in the sight. Luhan was wearing a blue button down shirt, slightly distressed. It fit Luhan’s thin body well, showing off his lean torso.

“It looks okay.” Minseok was willing to admit.

“Just okay? Not super-hot?” Luhan pouted “Hey, you should wear this shirt. I like how you look in it.”

Minseok didn’t want to consider how that sounded – how the words sounded. He liked how he looked in it? He liked how he looked?

Luhan pushed the navy blue sweater forward, waving it in Minseok’s face. It snapped him back to reality. He took the sweater, but could not help but look at it like he was holding some alien species or something. “This shirt?”

“Yeah, you wore it the last time we saw a movie, remember?” Luhan went back to checking himself out in the mirror. “I think this looks good. Light jeans or dark jeans?”

“Light.” Minseok answered immediately. Luhan in dark jeans did something to him. Something that was clearly normal, clearly just him appreciating how his best friend looked good no matter what he wore – but looked better wearing certain things. Maybe like how Luhan liked him the navy blue sweater? That must have been it.

Minseok chuckled, feeling like he was going insane.

“Are you feeling okay?” Luhan stopped preening for a moment to look at his friend.

“I feel great. Wonderful. Super wonderful.”

“Good! Two hours Baozi!”

“Two hours” Minseok muttered, wishing he could suddenly be struck by the flu or something.

***

The location of the date was not cheap, that much was certain the moment that Minseok had walked into the restaurant. He momentarily panicked, looking over to see Luhan patting the pocket his wallet was in “My parents gave me a credit card when I came to Korea. I hardly use it, don’t worry.”

Minseok breathed a sigh of relief, though he wanted to argue about Luhan hardly using his credit card. He clearly did, his expensive tastes and frequent spending (including their coffee dates) hard to ignore. Still, Minseok only had small amount of money in his pocket, probably not enough for this place.

They were seated at a table by the large wall of windows that displayed a killer view of Seoul’s skyline. It was by far the nicest place that Minseok had ever been.

“Aren’t we underdressed?” Minseok felt very self-conscious suddenly, tugging at his blue sweater in emphasize.

“No. This is a trendy place. Jeans are completely fine, see.” Luhan gestured towards some of the other patrons, some of whom were attired similarly (thought wearing much more expensive jeans and designer accessories).

Then the wait began. And continued. And continued some more. Luhan had said they would arrive around eight. It was ten thirty and Luhan hadn’t received a call on the phone he checked every fifteen seconds. The white candles that acted as a centerpiece were half gone, the bottle of wine they had ordered was now the second bottle of wine they had ordered.

“Maybe something came up.” Minseok said for the fiftieth time, trying to calm down his friend. Internally, Minseok was relieved the girls had stayed away. Internally, his mind was starting to fight him, remind him of what he didn’t want to be reminded of. That the thought of Luhan with a girlfriend drove him nuts. That he didn’t want Luhan to have a girlfriend, he wanted Luhan all to himself.

“Ha. Guessing I wasn’t her type after all.” Luhan checked his phone again. To Minseok’s surprise, however, Luhan turned the phone over and removed the battery.

“Are you going to be okay?” Minseok was seriously worried. Luhan looked half mad at the moment.

Luhan slunk back in his chair, downing his seventh glass of wine. To say that he was drunk was an understatement. “What is wrong with me Baozi?”

“Nothing is wrong with you.” Minseok reached a hand forward unconsciously trying to comfort his friend. He was surprised when Luhan sat forward, taking Minseok’s hand in his own. He was drunk too, the wine coursing through him, making him feel warm and tingly.

“Why can’t anyone love me?” Luhan’s voice was full of raw emotion, his tone was one Minseok had never heard before. It was…honest, full of pain and sadness and regret and confusion.

“Stop it. You are great. You are Luhan, the coolest most bad guy I know.” Minseok stared down at where Luhan’s hand was resting on his own. He didn’t remove his hand, even if he knew he should have. Instead he felt the warmth radiating from Luhan’s larger hand, felt a sense of comfort that was probably, he hoped, due to the alcohol.

A minute passed in silence, then another. Neither man breaking the odd spell that had fallen over the table as their hands touched.

Luhan broke the silence, asking the most unexpected of questions “Have you ever dated anyone?”

“Me?” Minseok asked stupidly. He didn’t want to say it, normally he would have given a noncommittal response about not finding the right person or asking how someone could think he had never dated anyone at his age. “No, I have never dated anyone.”

“Did you ever like anyone?” Luhan’s voice was low now, dangerously low, like he was trying to have the most private of conversations with Minseok at the moment. Minseok felt his face grow warm. It had to be the wine he reminded himself.

“Yes.” Minseok answered honestly. There had been a girl in middle school that he was crazy about but she had quickly turned him down.

“Did they like you back?”

“No.” Minseok was blushing furiously now, he was sure of it.

“What if I told you there was only one person I ever thought I could love? Did love?” Luhan mused as he started to trace small circles on the back of Minseok’s hand, apparently missing Minseok’s torch red face.

“Really?” He wasn’t sure if he could answer in more than one word. Not when his heart was beating so fast, not when his mouth had become suddenly, inexplicably dry.

“Do you know, Baozi, it doesn’t matter, because they don’t love me.” Luhan jerked his hand away, leaving Minseok feeling an acute loss of contact. “Why would they? My parents don’t even love me. Never have.”

“I am sure that isn’t true.” Minseok figured out how to breathe again, pushing the confusing thoughts from his head.

“It is true, and who can blame them?”

“I can blame them.” Minseok wanted to take it back because it was so….transparent. It was born from emotions.

“Do you love me?” Luhan asked, staring at Minseok so intently it slightly frightened him.

“Love you?” Minseok was a rational man, love meant many things he reminded himself “Of course. You are my best friend.”

Luhan nodded, “Yeah, we are best friends” Minseok noticed Luhan looked…disappointed. Or was it all Minseok’s imagination.

“Hey, we should go home Baozi.”

Luhan paid the check while Minseok waited for him outside, in the cool night air. It was sobering, which is just what he needed after the short intense conversation they had just had. Minseok knew it wasn’t the alcohol, he had started to realize that long ago he just didn’t want to admit it to himself.

Staring up at the hazy night sky, he let himself recognize what it all meant. He found Luhan attractive. He liked Luhan. He liked Luhan in a way that was not about being friends. He liked a man, and that man was Luhan. He had never considered that he was gay, hell – he had no dating experience. Yet there he was, looking at Luhan when he was dancing and blushing. Feeling Luhan’s warm body pressed against his own as they slept, willing away arousal at the physical contact. It was Luhan that he wanted, and he didn’t know how to digest that fact. Thankfully, Luhan knew just how to bury those feelings for Minseok, at least temporarily.

When Luhan emerged from the restaurant he seemed a changed man.

“Who needs girls any way, right?” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand, swinging their intertwined hands as he began walking “Did I ever tell you about that time that I accidently set the girls room on fire at my high school?”

“No?!” Minseok was sure it was going to be a lie, but at the moment a lie was what he needed. He needed normal. He needed to remind himself that Luhan liked girls, that Luhan didn’t like him. That Luhan just wanted to be friends.

Luhan rambled on, explaining in great detail a series of events that had never happened. Minseok listened intently, happy for the familiar diversion.

***

Luhan wasn’t going to make a fuss. Why should he? Minseok had mentioned her more than once.

“She is an old friend from school.” Minseok had explained, reminding Luhan who exactly Hye Jin was. Luhan remembered the name coming up now and then he just didn’t want to think she was actually going to visit.

Yixing called him possessive, too possessive when it came to Minseok. Yixing could say things like that to Luhan because he was the only really close friend Luhan had- outside of Minseok that is. The other guys were great, personable, but they weren’t close friends. Yixing on the other hand had quickly taken a liking to Luhan and the feelings were mutual. They bonded over being foreigners, they bonded over music, and they bonded over their bizarre sense of humor.

Yixing was the only person on the team that knew Luhan was biual (a confession Luhan had made one night when he had accidently let it slip he had dated a guy back in China). He was the only one there that never made fun of Luhan when everyone else did – when they thought Luhan couldn’t hear how they called him a liar or mocked his accent.

“What do I do?” Luhan whined to Yixing, plopping down on Yixing’s bed. It was Sunday afternoon and Minseok was going to meet his old school friend in an hour.

“Let them go Luhan. It isn’t a date.” Yixing was busy at his computer, composing a new track. He was gifted at arranging and often spent all of his free time doing just that. More times than not, Luhan would wander into his room for a few minutes and shoot the , more often than not Luhan ended up talking about Minseok.

“I know…but.”

“But you are jealous.” Yixing had surmised the situation well, “Weren’t you the one trying to make him jealous with that fake trainee girlfriend story?”

“It didn’t work.” Luhan bit his bottom lip, trying to erase the day he dragged Minseok to dinner, to a date under false pretenses, only to hear Minseok say he loved him like a friend. Only like a friend.

“Well, you didn’t exactly confess to him, did you?” Yixing pushed a few keys before dropping his headphones “Dang, I just can’t figure it out.”

“I basically confessed to him. I mean, I asked if he loved me.” Luhan picked up one of the plushies on Yixing’s bed, tossing it in the air and catching it mindlessly.

“But he doesn’t know how you feel, not really.” Yixing clicked from his composing software to his fan portal. He was the only other trainee with an active fan page, the other being Chanyeol. Yixing had gained a fan gathering back in China when he was often on television as a young man, on variety and singing programs. Chanyeol on the other hand had been singled out for being one the best looking trainees at SM. The fans waiting in front of the company building for the guys from Shinee, Super Junior, and TVXQ taking note and starting a small fan site for him.

“But I know how he feels. He just sees me as a friend.” Luhan felt miserable. “What if I go with him, to meet her?”

“Uninvited? No.” Yixing scrolled through the latest comments on the site, typing a few replies.

“He won’t say no if I ask.” Luhan was sure of it.

“Do what you want.”

Luhan decided their conversation was over, Yixing had given him his blessing.

That is how, an hour and a half later he was seated in a café, trying not to glare at a very pretty, very personable, very funny young woman.

“And that time you overslept and ran into class holding a toaster!” Hye Jin laughed, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her left ear. She was cute, Luhan thought, too cute. She had short black hair, a wide smile, big eyes, and a small nose. Luhan didn’t like her.

He sat next to Minseok, Hye Jin across from them. She had ordered juice, apparently she couldn’t handle too much caffeine. Another mark against her Luhan decided.

“That is sooo funny!” Luhan slapped his knee a minute too late, laughing loudly in a clear overreaction given the only slightly humorous turn of the story Hye Jin had just told.

“Luhan, what is it like in Beijing? I have never been there.” Hye Jin sipped her juice, turning her attention to the man she had just met.

“Smoggy. Full of people. You know, kind of like Seoul” Luhan tried to act charming.

“What do your parents do?” Hye Jin asked, clearly curious about Luhan. It made him slightly uncomfortable, but he knew this type of feeling and exactly how to get over it. Lie.

“They are in business.” Luhan answered briskly “Mergers acquisitions, the lighting business, shipping, aeronautics, hot air balloons, pet rescue, cruise ships, organic farming you name it.”

Hye Jin’s mouth made a perfect O “You must be loaded. And here you are, sitting with two poor kids.”

Luhan didn’t miss the way Minseok tensed, the way he stopped smiling.

“Um, not really.” Luhan grabbed a cookie from the plate on the center of the table, a snack Hye Jin had ordered before they arrived “Just normal.”

“Really? Even with all of those businesses?”

“Yep” Luhan wanted to scowl at her for pressing on a topic that had clearly made Minseok uncomfortable “So, tell me more stories about little Baozi.”

“B..a…o..zi?” Hye Jin quirked an eyebrow.

“Hm. It is the same thing as Mandu but in Mandarin. Doesn’t he look like one?” Luhan smiled at Minseok, who squirmed in his chair.

“He does!” Hye Jin laughed.

“Hye Jin, You are not allowed to call me that.” Minseok shot Luhan a death glare.

“Am I the only one allowed to call you that?” Luhan played it like a joke, but he wanted the answer more than anything.

“Yes.” Minseok changed the subject, which was okay. Luhan needed to hear that. Wanted to hear that. Could hold onto that, no matter how foolish it was to do so.

***

It wasn’t unusual to see an email from his parents at least twice a week. Well- his parents secretary at least. It was pretty much a form email, asking if he had eaten, if he was sleeping, if he needed money. It was short, it was formal, it was lacking in warmth. It had been that way since he had left China, left with some confusing words about not wanting to work at the family business, not wanting to be lonely for the rest of his life.

Luhan typed out his usual reply – I am eating, sleeping, I don’t need money.

Short, sweet, to the point. He clicked send just as Minseok walked into the room, returning from a shower.

Luhan gulped. Minseok was wearing nothing but a towel, hung loosely on his waist “I forgot my shorts. Don’t mind me.”

Luhan didn’t want to mind him, but he couldn’t look away. He breathed a sigh of relief when Minseok found his shorts and left, returning to the bathroom.

Luhan went back to his email but his mind was blank. It was like that a lot, being near Minseok. Sleeping next to Minseok, hugging him, being close to him. But he couldn’t help it, touching Minseok. Even when it became like torture, to be so near something he could never have the way he wanted to, he couldn’t stop.

***

They trained until almost four the next morning, perfecting their latest routine for the monthly team evaluation. Minseok kept falling behind, kept missing steps.

“What’s wrong?” Luhan was happy for a break, only their second since they had started practicing at two o’clock in the afternoon.

“I don’t feel well.” Minseok looked tired, exhausted.

Luhan hadn’t been ignorant to the events of their monthly physical. SM required the trainees to see the company’s doctor once a month for a full evaluation, a way for the company to ensure the trainees were taking care of themselves. The evaluation included a weigh in, often with very blunt orders for the trainees to lose weight if they were tipping the scales above where the doctors thought they should be.

“Did you eat?” Luhan rubbed Minseok’s arms, worried. It wouldn’t be the first month Minseok was instructed to lose weight.

“Yeah. I had salad earlier.”

“We have been practicing for almost twelve hour, you need to eat more than a salad.” Luhan walked to his backpack, taking out an energy bar he it at Minseok “Who cares what they say, you need to eat.”

Minseok grabbed the energy bar, opening it and taking a bite in a hurry.

Luhan grabbed a few more bars from his backpack, handing them to Minseok “Eat all of them. Seriously.” Luhan hated how they told Minseok to lose weight, he thought he was perfect the way he was.

“I will.” Minseok knew that he should have eaten more, it was just hard when he knew his weight could be the determining factor when it came to his debut.

At four in the morning, however, everything changed.

***

“Hyungnim!” Junmyeon assembled the team for a bow as the most senior manager of the trainees, a man who rarely made a personal appearance in the practice room outside of monthly evaluations, walked in. It was a quarter to five, the team had been resting, discussing their mistakes and how to fix them.

“Sit, sit.” The manager pulled up a metal folding chair that was leaning against the far end of the practice room- disused for the most part given the trainees habit of sitting on the floor after and between practices.

The team sat down, looking expectantly at the man. Lee Seunghwan was handsome, thin and tall. Rumor had it he was a trainee once too, but failed out of the system. Since then he had been working his way through the SM management system until he was in a place to take charge of the next act to debut. He was often the first manager in the building and always the last to leave.

“I have something important to tell you, and really I should wait until later today to do it but I won’t.”

Everyone was tense, expectant. Luhan heard Jongdae whisper something to Junmyeon about if this was when they were all fired.

“The company has plans to debut you guys- as 12.”

A collective sigh seemed to be heard all around with the confirmation they all had a spot in the group. The manager continued “You are going to be called to the main office to review the contracts, probably tomorrow or the next day. I have three things I need to say and three things you guys seriously need to think about.”

When no one said a word, asked a question, or started celebrating prematurely, he continued “First, this contract is going to change everything about your life. You will become part of something that is a team effort, a public team effort. You will be required to work hard, work long hours, and dedicate yourselves to a venture that may not result in instant success. You won’t have time for friends or girlfriends or boyfriends of whatever you guys do in your free time.”

Sehun giggled at the comment, Junmyeon nudging him to be quiet.

“You won’t have a private life anymore. Not even family visits, not often any way. Do you understand?”

Mumbled agreements were heard, everyone still in shock from learning they would finally debut.

“Secondly, this stuff can get ugly, fast. People will look to you as a role model. Love can be replaced by hatred in a split second. And the pay is dependent on that love. If people hate you they won’t your albums. If they don’t buy your albums you don’t get paid. You might make for a few months or a few years or until you are disbanded. You may make nothing at all.”

The manager continued “Third- they are planning on debuting half of you in China and half of you in Korea, with the two teams coming together only a few times a year. That means you are two teams, not one. And I can’t guarantee which of you Korean guys are going to be going to China.”

The last piece of news was sobering, for eight of them, maybe for all twelve of them. While such an arrangement was not a secret it had never been confirmed. They had taken to pretending it was a rumor, that it probably was just something that the trainees had made up. They had no idea it was what the company had actually intended to go through with.

“If all of that is fine with you, good. Sign that contract- let you parents read it first. You read it first. Front to back, even the small print.” The manager stood, the trainees instantly standing as well.

“I said sit, sit. You guys have been working too hard.” The manager shooed them back to a sitting position “I just want you guys to know what you are getting into, okay. I can’t make the choice for you, but you obviously know I want you to debut.”

It was a blur, the minutes after. Luhan would never forget it though- how Chanyeol whooped and yelled and picked Junmyeon up into a bear hug and spun him around. Jongin was in tears as he tried to retreat to a back corner, only to be grabbed by Sehun and Tao who were also crying.

Kris tried to act cool but it was clear the news had affected him as well, he held his hand to his eyes, claiming he was just tired. Jongdae and Baekhyun looked relieved, while Kyungsoo was smiling devilishly while texting on his phone. Yixing made rounds patting everyone’s butts in celebration, a habit that they had all gotten used to.

Luhan faced his best friend, smiling “We did it Baozi.”

“Yeah.” Minseok was blushing, his pale cheeks turning that slight shade of pink that Luhan found so adorable.

Luhan pulled him into his arms, hugging him tightly against him. He felt his friend breath in and out, felt him melt into the hug. “You have to go to China with me.”

“I will.” Minseok answered in Mandarin, showing off what he had learned after years taking mandatory language classes at SM Entertainment.

“What if they don’t let you?” Luhan broke the hug, holding Minseok at arm’s length. He suddenly imagined debuting in China, Minseok in Korea. He imagined no longer sleeping with Minseok’s smaller body pressed closely to his own. He suddenly imagined waking up without a sleeping Korean boy snuggled up to him. He wanted to scream.

“I don’t know, I guess then that’s that.” Minseok didn’t look particularly upset about the thought. Luhan wanted to cry. But he didn’t. He put on a smile, masking his emotions, using the same tactics he had learned over year and years of pretending things didn’t bother him.

It was only that morning as they laid down for a few hours of sleep that Luhan felt a tear slip down his cheek, a wayward tear that wouldn’t be the last, not if he had to let the sleeping man in his arms go.

***

Luhan’s family lawyer had called. The contract had been faxed over that morning, his parents were done reviewing it.

“You know how your parents feel, so I will not reiterate their stance on the matter. From a legal standpoint it appears to be sound, if not exactly favorable economically.”

“What do you mean economically?” Luhan asked, trying to keep his voice down. He was in the dorm bathroom, trying to hide the fact he was the only one of the guys on the phone with his family lawyer discussing the contract. The other guys had asked their parents to review it, Junmyeon had mentioned a lawyer, but no one had an expensive attorney who exclusively worked for their family calling in their opinion on the matter.

“Income distribution is skewed in the favor of the company, but that is not out of the ordinary for this sort of contract. Tiered income distribution is included, guaranteeing a higher payout with increased sales. It lends the contract financial clout, given the company’s investment in your training. The scheduling of activities is also fairly one sided, in that you have little grounds to modify or deny scheduled activities without a monetary penalty.”

“But it is okay overall? I mean, I will get paid?”

“Yes, you will get paid. Maybe not much at first but there will be something. The fee to break the contract is not exorbitantly expensive either, your parents approved the funds to be set aside in case you change your mind.”

Luhan hated that his parents were already planning a way for him to leave, but wasn’t exactly surprised by it. His parents were like that.

“Thank you for reviewing it.” Luhan ended his call quickly, opening the bathroom door to go back to bed. He jumped back in surprise when he saw Kris standing there, staring at him with a knowing look.

“Are you going to sign?” Kris asked, clearly having overheard the conversation.

“Probably. Are you?” Luhan asked.

“Yeah. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Luhan wanted to say the same, except there was one unanswered question – what team would Minseok be on?

***

It was unnerving, the way Minseok kept quiet when he got home. They were instructed not to discuss the terms of their contracts with the rest of the team, least they face dismissal. It was confidential, who signed and who did not.

As the boys filtered back home one by one no one said a word, an eerie silence hung over the dorm. Once all of the paperwork was signed, or not, the final team would be announced – or at least that is what the manager had told them. They would have to wait until that night to find out who was in and who was out.

Luhan took it as a positive sign that Minseok wasn’t currently reorganizing his closet or complaining about the mess in the living room. Instead he was lying down on his bed, playing on his phone. Luhan slipped into the bed next to him, pulling Minseok to his side.

Luhan wasn’t sure what to say, since they couldn’t talk about the most important thing in their lives right now. He just felt comfort in being near Minseok, being near the man who had made him in one way or another feel better about himself.

“China.” Minseok said quietly, so quietly that Luhan wasn’t sure he heard him correctly.

Then it sunk in. Luhan looked at Minseok in surprise, searching his face for a hint of deception. He found none.

“Really?” Luhan gasped, feeling like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

Minseok nodded, “Is that okay?”

Luhan wanted to kiss him, wanted to kiss him more than he had ever wanted to kiss him before in his life. And that was a statement that meant something, because Luhan couldn’t count on his fingers and toes how many times that gummy and crooked smile had made him want to kiss Minseok.

“I love you Minseok.” Luhan smiled, hiding his head against Minseok’s hair, trying to hide his joy.

“I love you too.” Minseok answered, laughing.

Luhan didn’t want to hear him add “as a friend”, it was a good thing Minseok didn’t manage to clarify the fact. Luhan just wanted to hear those four words, feel Minseok in his arms, and think that everything was going to be okay. He was going to China…with Minseok.

***

“Jesus ing Christ!” Kris’s scream could wake the dead - or nine sleeping young men.

“What is it?! What is wrong?” Junmyeon rushed out into the hallway, half asleep. The others were quick to join in, wondering what had Kris screaming so early in the morning, everyone expecting a fire or some catastrophe to be waiting for them.

Luhan rubbed his eyes, trying to figure out what was happening.

“I – we” Tao stuttered, clearly flustered.

Tao was standing in the living room, Sehun peeking out from behind him, both of their faces flushed. They were both in their pajamas, or at least part of their pajamas. Sehun was currently pulling his pajama shirt down to hide his underwear while Tao was shirtless.

“They were making out!” Kris pointed at Sehun and Tao “Like kissing and groping and- holy crap they were about to get it on!”

Junmyeon pushed his way through the other boys until he was standing between Kris and the two extremely embarrassed maknaes. “Please, go back to your rooms. Nothing to see here.”

“What do you mean nothing to see?!” Kris was still shouting, clearly taken aback by what he had walked in on.

“I like guys, Hyungs. I…sorry.” Sehun was close to tears, hiding his head behind Tao.

“Guys? I thought you only liked me?” Tao whirled around, in the process revealing Sehun’s half-dressed state. Sehun pushed Tao back, using him as a shield against his state of undress.

“Just go back to your rooms for now! Let them get dressed for crying out loud!” Junmyeon looked like he was close to a nervous breakdown as he shooed the rest of them back into their respective bedrooms.

“Did you guys see that?” Kris wouldn’t shut up as they entered their room, rambling on about how Tao had been on top of Sehun and god-only-knows-what-would-have-happened.



“Are you homophobic or something?” Luhan decided to just throw it out there given Kris’s reaction.

“No! But I am seeing-my-teammates-having--in-the-living-room phobic. Gross. I sit on that floor.” Kris sat down on his bed, shaking his head violently like he was trying to erase the memory with force.

“I think it is cute.” Minseok answered unexpectedly “I kind of figured as much.”

“Cute?” Luhan liked Minseok’s reaction. Cute was much better than disgusting or wrong or any of the other dozens of adjectives Minseok could have used to describe the situation.

“Yeah. Sehun-ah seems to really like Tao. I think they are cute together.” Minseok started making his bed. Luhan knew that once he was awake he could never fall back asleep easily.

“Well, you guys are practically ing every night so of course you think it is cute. I can deal with you two since you keep your clothes on, but that- that was – I did not need to know what Sehun looks like without pants on.” Kris pulled out his phone and put his earbuds in “If you guys need me I will be washing my mind clean with some hardcore f-life music”

“Dry..humping?” Minseok was blushing. “We don’t .”

“Of course not! Kris!” Luhan leaned forward and slapped him on the arm “We do not !”

“Sure whatever you say.” Kris wasn’t interested in their denials.

“Baozi, he was just joking. Say you were joking Kris!” Luhan slapped his arm again.

“Fine, I was joking. Now leave me alone, I am traumatized right now.”

“See, it was a joke.” Luhan smiled, tried to pretend like it was totally cool Kris called them out on their bedtime snuggles. Minseok, on the other hand, seemed ready to die of embarrassment. When Junmyeon gave everyone the all clear to assemble in the living room Luhan was happy for the distraction.

“So where are the lovebirds?” Chanyeol looked around the living room. He was still getting over the revelation that Sehun was gay, he wanted to ask Sehun some questions and was disappointed he was nowhere to be found.

“They are in my room. Now I want you guys to keep an open mind about this, okay. I also want you to come right out and say what you are thinking. We can’t have any secrets between us, okay.” Junmyeon looked around the room.

“I wish I was getting some.” Baekhyun lamented.

“Okay…that is… a start. Anyone else want to speak?” Junmyeon clasped his hands expectantly. Luhan always thought he looked like a dorky motivational speaker when he did that.

“I can’t believe little Hun-ah likes dudes.” Chanyeol shook his head in disbelief “Not that there is anything wrong with that but holy .”

“I think it is cute.” Luhan borrowed Minseok’s words.

“He stole that from me.” Minseok muttered.

“Cute, surprised. Okay, anyone else?”

“Gross that they were doing it in the living room.” Kris added, only taking his earbuds out for a second.

“We should be happy for them.” Jongdae smiled “It is nice they have each other.”

“Except in a few months one of them will be in China and one in Korea.” Kyungsoo reminded the room.

“Way to rain on the parade.” Chanyeol liked Kyungsoo, he really did, but sometimes the man could be such a downer.

“I think it isn’t our place to judge.” Yixing said quietly.

“I agree. We should support them.” Jongin answered firmly.

“Yes, we should. Thank you, all of you - for being so open minded.” Junmyeon spoke like he was standing up for his own self interests. It wasn’t exactly a secret that he had taken the younger members under his wing, acting like an older brother to the both of them.

“Now that we have that under our belts – I mean, out of the way, who wants to let me sleep in their room?” Junmyeon tried to ask cutely, earning a cringe out of Jongin.

“You mean you are going to give them your room as some kind of love nest?” Chanyeol couldn’t seem to close his mouth he was so dumbfounded. Junmyeon and Sehun shared a room, which meant with Junmyeon gone that left the room to Sehun and his boy toy.

“Just for this morning, I think they need some time alone.”

“Kris said you can sleep next to him.” Luhan volunteered, chuckling at Kris, who was clueless about what was being said having gone back to blaring his music.

“That is great. Thanks Kris. Meeting adjourned, get some sleep.”

“I can’t sleep anymore. Do you want to get some coffee?” Minseok asked Luhan, confirming what Luhan already knew.

“Sure. Luhan smirked, proud of his interference. “Then at least Junmyeon will have a place to sleep when Kris kicks him off his bed. It is the least I could do”

“Indeed.” Minseok laughed, flashing his gummy smile. Luhan wanted to scream, instead he looked away.

***

“Nice morning not to sleep” Luhan watched as Minseok gazed appreciatively around him. They had taken their coffee to go, making their way to the park by the dorms. With their late nights they didn’t get out in the morning sun very often.

“Yeah, I guess if you have only three hours of sleep you couldn’t ask for a better morning.” Luhan teased, sipping his cappuccino.

They walked to the familiar white bench, their favorite place in the park. It sat by the small pond and next to a mature shade tree. From where they sat there was a good view of the running trail snaking by the pond, men and women casually jogging by every few minutes. It was a peaceful place in the middle of the city, it felt secluded.

“I think they will do well together.” Minseok nodded his head, as if he was agreeing with his own statement.

“If Tao doesn’t wushu Sehun for whining too much.” Luhan laughed.

“Whining? I think they do about the same amount of that.” Minseok looked serious as if he was considering the dozens of times Sehun and Tao had acted like three year olds in the past. “They are probably going to kill each other, aren’t they?”

“Yeah, Probably.” Luhan was pretty sure their relationship would be far from boring.

They fell into an easy silence, soaking up the morning sun, each in lost in their own thoughts.

“What is it…three weeks?” Luhan tried to count the days, breaking the silence.

“Something like that.” The manager had informed them yesterday that their debut song would be handed down after their next monthly evaluation.

“And then we become superstars, Baozi.” Luhan slapped Minseok on the back playfully.

“I guess so.” Minseok grinned his crooked, gummy smile.

“I really lik-“

“Minseok? Is that you?”

Luhan turned around at the same time as Minseok, both reacting to the shrill voice from behind them. Luhan was surprised to see a woman standing a few feet away, a metal cart full of newspapers behind her. She looked homeless, her clothes were dirty and mismatched, her hair tied up in a ratty bun.

When Minseok didn’t respond, Luhan looked at him. He was suddenly pale, frozen.

“Who are you?” Luhan challenged, wondering how the crazy lady knew Minseok’s name. It wasn’t unusual to see a homeless person in the park now and then, a byproduct of the large city they resided in.

“I am Minseok’s Mother.” The woman smiled proudly “The one that he is supposed to be sending all his newfound riches to.”

“M..o…ther?” Luhan turned to Minseok. He didn’t deny it. He didn’t move, he didn’t say yes, he didn’t say no.

“Is this one of your pretty celebrity friends?” The woman went on “You know his Father is sick and he still won’t send money. Is that the kind of friend you want to have?”

It erupted in his chest, an anger and rage at this woman. “Baozi, let’s get out of here.”

“You want to ignore where you came from boy? Now that you live the fancy life?” The woman laughed, “You think it won’t catch up with you? That you treated your family like this while you lived the high life?”

Luhan wasn’t going to stand by and hear any more of what she had to say. Not when Minseok looked ready to pass out. He grabbed Minseok’s hand, yanking him to his feet he started walking towards the jogging path, away from the crazy lady. He didn’t stop until Minseok made him, refusing to be dragged any further.

“Are you okay?” Luhan looked behind them, making sure the woman wasn’t following.

“I – I –“Minseok seemed to be hyperventilating, air in quickly he could barely speak.

Luhan pulled Minseok to his chest, wrapping his arms around the smaller man he held him closely, whispering “I don’t care who she is or what she wants, Baozi. Calm down, it will be okay. I’m here, shhhh.”

They stood like that for almost ten minutes, Luhan watching as the woman dragged her cart in the opposite direction, shaking a fist in their direction as she departed. Luhan was thankful she didn’t follow them.

Minseok had his head buried in Luhan’s shoulder, his breathing slowly relaxing as Luhan soothed him with words of affection and encouragement “Baozi, you are going to be great…You are great… Just ignore it…I’m here okay. You don’t need to worry…You don’t need to worry…I love you Baozi…”

***

“I wanted to slap her.” Luhan narrowed his eyes, staring at the ceiling as if he could shoot a laser beam through it, straight at the crazy lady who interrupted Minseok and him this morning.

“You probably should not slap your crushes Mom.” Yixing was lying on his bed, a blanket tightly wrapped around him. He had been sleeping peacefully until Luhan had burst in, ready to wake him up for the second time that day.

Luhan looked at Yixing, scowling “I wouldn’t have really slapped her. I just wanted to.”

“Good, our little prince has some sense after all.” Yixing teased. His eyes were drooping, he really wanted to catch another hour of sleep before they would be ushered off to the practice room.

“I have a lot of sense! In my high school year book it was written-“

“Ge, don’t lie to me.” Yixing yawned. Luhan shut up, his thoughts turning inward as he replayed the events of a few hours ago.

The thought of that woman made his blood boil. How dare she talk to Minseok like that? How dare she upset Minseok, strong and honest and handsome Minseok? Luhan had soothed him, hugged him tightly until he had broken away. They remained silent on the walk back to the dorms, Minseok not wanting to talk about what had happened and Luhan not wanting to press him for any details.

“You should have seen Minseok. He was so upset.”

“I can imagine he would be.” Yixing said quietly.

“He probably had a really hard time growing up.” Luhan balled his fists at the thought “Yixing, how could he have such a hard life?”

“Life isn’t fair.” Yixing sighed “But it is a shame. Minseok hyung is a really great guy.” Yixing appreciated Minseok. He was a kind man. While the other trainees made fun of his accent, picked out his flaws, Minseok encouraged him.

Luhan thought about his friend, who was currently busy cleaning their room much to Kris’s annoyance. “He does that when he is upset.” Luhan said matter-of-factly.

Yixing didn’t have to ask what Luhan was asking about “You lie when you are upset.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about. Funny, funny guy.” Luhan got up from Yixing’s bed, deciding to let his friend get a few more minutes of sleep. He would go to his room, talk to Minseok. Or just watch Minseok. He just wanted Minseok. A desire he was fighting with every hour of the day it seemed.

***

“If you can’t learn the dance then stay later!”

Chanyeol cringed, the rest of the guys did too. Junmyeon only yelled when he had been yelled at first – it was a well-known fact among the pre-debut team. When the dance teacher, the voice instructor, the language teacher, or one of the other half dozen people that taught them different facets of being an idol was disappointed, it was Junmyeon communicating their disdain because he had heard it first.

Before the twelve of them had signed their contracts they received criticism in the middle of training. Now Junmyeon heard it first and had to communicate it downward to “assert his leadership” or some other strange term the manager threw out. It made the other guys bitter…and sorry. Because when they screwed up it was Junmyeon getting yelled at for it, told to make it better.

“Hyung, I’m sorry.” Chanyeol dropped his head.

“I know, but guys, they can cancel our contracts if they want. We can’t fall back on it, we can’t start taking it easy now.” Junmyeon closed his eyes briefly, snapping them open he continued “We have our evaluation tomorrow. If we don’t nail this I can’t guarantee they are going to give us our debut track.”

“Yah! You uncoordinated oaf! Practice all night if you need to!” Baekhyun shoved at Chanyeol’s arm. Luhan wondered how much of what Baekhyun said was sarcastic and how much of it was dead serious.

“Hyung, let’s try it again.” Jongin took Chanyeol’s arm, guiding him towards the other half of the practice room, “Junmyeon hyung, I will stay with him until he has it.”

“Good. Look, I am sorry to be so hard on you guys but you have to realize that our hard work isn’t over. It is just beginning.” Junmyeon looked a bit wistful “I worked so hard for this and I am going to work harder. I hope you all think the same.”

Mumbled words of agreement were heard as the group dispersed. It had been a terrible practice, everyone was uncoordinated – all arms and legs out of sync. Chanyeol hadn’t been the only one who had made mistakes, he had just made the most.

“What is wrong with us today?” Minseok wiped the seat from his forehead, leaning against the wall he slide down until he was seated on the floor.

“Nerves probably.” Luhan looked around the room, everyone else was sitting down with the exception of Chanyeol and Jongin “Exhaustion.”

“How are we going to deal with having busy schedules if we can’t do this?” Minseok shook his head “Junmyeon is right, it isn’t going to get any easier.”

Luhan considered it, but it wasn’t like they were all unaware of what was ahead of them. Sleepless nights, days packed full of scheduled event after scheduled event. Once, a few months back, Kyuhyun had paid a visit to the practice rooms. He was already debuted, a member of the group Super Junior. He knew Junmyeon and Jongin from his trainee days. He was in the area and decided to drop by to see how the pre-debut team was progressing.

Luhan had nearly fainted. It was his first time seeing a celebrity up close. The already debuted idols of SM Entertainment didn’t often pay a visit to the practice building. There was a separate building that housed the corporate offices as well as the practice rooms for the stars. The building that the trainees congregated in was in a different neighborhood, they only went to the headquarters for their monthly evaluations. Even then they only visited a portion of the headquarters building, a section that idols didn’t often wander into.

“I have slept two hours in three days.” Kyuhyun had laughed “But I have tomorrow off, so I will sleep for at least four.” Luhan had guessed then and there sleep was most certainly, aside from the rumors, something that an idol didn’t see very often.

“Who needs sleep when there is coffee?” Luhan tried to lighten the mood “Baozi, let’s just work hard.”

“I will. I am not worried about me, I am worried about them.” Minseok gestured towards the other guys “Sehun and Tao are still so young. Jongdae and Baekhyun haven’t even lived this life for very long.”

“What do you think our chances are? To debut?” Luhan was curious. He was optimistic, he wanted to know how Minseok thought about it.

“Fifty percent.” Minseok answered firmly “Luhan, I have seen teams broken up too many times to think otherwise.”

“Even with a contract!” Luhan was surprised.

“Yeah, even with a contract. Contracts aren’t as hard and fast as you think, especially in this world, especially for the company.” Minseok stood up, “Now let’s get back to practicing. You looked like crap when you did the last move.”

Luhan began protesting he was fine and perfect in his movements, but he kept Minseok’s words tucked in the back of his mind. Were they really on that shaky of ground?

***

One new message. It was Thursday, time for another one of his parent’s emotionally distant emails, sent on their behalf by their secretary. He was half done typing his response when he noticed the email length was different. Scanning up to the top of the message he began to read. There was the usual greeting, the usual questions, and then something else.

If you would like us to contact the company to nullify the contract please let us know. Your Father has expressed interest in having you back in Beijing with an added incentive of a thirty three percent share in the business. Please respond, we would like to know your intentions on the matter.

Luhan snorted. He shouldn’t have been that surprised, not when they couldn’t even bother to remember his birthday most years. What they had sent him was a business contract, it wasn’t an email sent by parents who missed their child.

“What’s so funny?” Minseok was sprawled out on the bottom bunk, flipping through a sports magazine. Luhan was seated at the small desk in their room, checking soccer scores and emails.

“Baozi, do you want to go get some coffee?” Luhan needed to get out of there, the email souring his mood.

“We can’t. Remember.” Minseok knew Luhan remembered, there was no way he could have forgotten so quickly “Manager’s orders.”

“Right, manager’s orders.” Luhan thought back to the small gathering of girls that had greeted them at their dorms.

Four days ago was the first time that had ever happened, a full two months after their debut song had been handed down to them. It wasn’t an entirely foreign site, a few stray fans were seen outside the trainee building every now and then – some of them even bringing Yixing a cake on his birthday. Still they had never seen fans waiting outside their home; they were genuinely surprised the girls even knew the location of their dorms.

On the fourth day they came home and found the girls waiting outside yet again. They recognized half of the group from the same gathering of fans that had been waiting around the practice building earlier in the day. It was the final straw. The manager had been on the phone from the time that they shut the dorm door until he announced with a stern face “You guys aren’t allowed to leave the dorm without company permission AKA a manager. Congratulations, I think you guys just got yourselves some stalker fans.”

They had questioned how, before their names had even been disclosed to the public, the girls had decided to follow them. “They know who is on the pre-debut team and they know the company is debuting a group in the next year. They want a piece of you guys before anyone else even knows you exist. Consider your private lives gone.” The manager had looked a bit amused, which pissed Kris off.

“You mean we can’t leave because of some middle schoolers? You have to be joking?” Kris liked his shopping trips with Tao, his basketball games with Yixing, and his trips to the gym with Junmyeon.

“Pretty much. Middle schoolers take picture and post them online, where non-middle schoolers find them and ruin your image. But never fear because that means you are gaining a live in manager. Hey roomies.” The manager smiled, waving.

Luhan groaned at the memory. He was already feeling cooped up and it was only the first night they had been told to stay home. “Baozi, I’mmmmm booooored.”

Minseok rolled his eyes at Luhan, dropping his magazine and belting out “MAMA”

Luhan started singing their debut song, knowing that was Minseok’s answer to his boredom. Practice.

“You are so off key.” Minseok put his fingers in his ears, cringing as if Luhan was the worst thing he had ever heard. That was it, Luhan spurred himself into action. He launched at Minseok, who jumped back in surprise, trying to escape Luhan’s attack.

Luhan was on Minseok in a minute, beginning his tickling assault, one of his new favorite pastimes. He liked how it made Minseok laugh with abandon, he liked how it made Minseok’s pale face turn a certain shade of pink because he was annoyed. He liked how Minseok tried to fight back but always ended up shoving Luhan off him affectionately.

Minseok pushed back, laughing. Luhan grabbed the older boy’s arms, wrestling them above his head to stop his counter attack. The effect was Minseok pinned down, Luhan laying on top of him. The effect was Luhan feeling like his sanity had just been completely stripped from his being.

Minseok was still smiling, but he wasn’t laughing. His brown eyes, such pretty eyes Luhan thought, were twinkling mischievously. But his smile was dangerously relaxed, his brown hair dangerously messy, his breathing heavy. Luhan stared into his eyes, soaking in the feeling of having Minseok under him.

“Baozi….” Luhan breathed out, his mind a jumbled mess.

Minseok rectified Luhan’s confusion, pushing Luhan off of him quickly, “You weakling.” He laughed as Luhan stared at him with surprise, finding himself suddenly lying on the bed on his back. “I’m hungry, let’s go make ramyun.”

Luhan watched Minseok walk out of the room, still trying to regain his breathe. Luhan thought it was a cruel reality that Minseok would never, could never feel like he did. But for now just being near him was enough, he didn’t need his love, Luhan told himself. He could deal with it, as long as Minseok was there. As long as they were together.

***

“Turn a little towards the right. No! No! You-” The photographer pointed at Sehun “Stand there! RIGHT THERE!”

The boys were flustered. It was their first photo shoot, conducted only a few hours after they had their hair chopped, dyed, and generally manhandled with hair product that could survive an F5 tornado.

Minseok found that he was more nervous in front of a camera than he had ever thought possible. He wondered how the others were doing it. Jongin, Luhan, Chanyeol, Tao, Kris, and Sehun were naturals in front of a lens.

“Hyung, I am scared.” Kyungsoo was fidgeting, biting his nails as he watched the photographer order around Sehun and Luhan.

“I am too.” Minseok agreed. He was not comfortable with having a camera focused on him, snapping picture after picture as directions were shouted at him.

“Luhan hyung is good at it. So is Jongin.” Kyungsoo noted glumly.

Minseok appreciated the way Luhan posed. He was a handsome man – no, a beautiful man as long as he wasn’t laughing. When he laughed his face contorted ever so. Minseok chuckled to himself at the thought.

“Funny, huh? We should be that good.” Kyungsoo mistook the reason for Minseok’s laughter “Are you at the site tomorrow?”

“No, mine hasn’t been scheduled.” Minseok was nervous at the fact that his filming date was unannounced. Their newest manager, a kind woman named Ahreum, had informed them of the set schedules for the filming of teaser clips leading up to their debut.

“Mine either. You think they only scheduled the ones they want?” Kyungsoo bit at his nails, worried,

“I hope not.” Minseok recounted the trainees who had confirmed filming dates – Jongin, Yixing, Kris, Tao, and Sehun.

“Boys, it is your turn next.” Ahreum, gently nudged Minseok’s shoulder. Minseok nodded. It was a nice change from their manager hyungs. “And stop worrying.” She added, “It makes your pictures come out bad.”

***

“You would be a really badass action star.”

“Shut up Luhan.” Minseok smacked the Chinese boy on the head “I wasn’t at the Gayo Daejuns before I even debuted. Or, how about your five million teasers Luhan? Or should I call you Luh-chael Jackson.”

“Call Jongin – No, I mean Kai “Luhan laughed at the stage name. It still sounded so odd “That. He is the one that has a million teasers. Or Yixing, he performed with Shinee even before we debuted!”

“But they aren’t one half of the hottest couple in Kpop.” Minseok teased, clicking on a new tab, closing out the video. Luhan was looking over – no, practically hanging on – Minseok’s shoulder as he played his teaser clip on his laptop. They were in their room, Kris fast asleep, the two of them watching the clips that had been released so far.

“Yah! Baozi!” Luhan tried to look annoyed, but he was smiling. Being linked to Sehun had its benefits. For one they were being touted as the first real “ship” of Exo- the first pairing to drive the fan girls crazy. Also, it was the perfectly hilarious scenario that had Luhan smiling – amused. Sehun and Tao were very much a couple. After their discovery in the living room they had been open about their relationship, to the point they proudly showed off their promise rings to the team. A perceived “relationship” with Luhan was the perfect cover for Sehun and Tao’s very real relationship.

“What are they calling you guys?” Minseok clicked on the search bar, ready to pull up the slew of embarrassing comments on the teaser featuring Sehun and Luhan.

“Stop.” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand playfully, trying to divert his search “Are you jealous or something?”

Minseok tugged his hand away, “No, just embarrassed to be your friend.”

“Yah!” Luhan shut the laptop “No more videos, It is bedtime!”

Minseok found angry Luhan adorable. He also found himself very jealous, but he wasn’t about to admit that to Luhan.

***

“Who would have thought superpowers, magic trees, and shiny clothes would be in my future.” Minseok sighed heavily before breaking into a smile “Seriously though, this is going to be badass.”

“You are nervous…” Luhan whispered, grasping Minseok’s arm. They were backstage, waiting for their queues to go on stage. It was their debut showcase in Seoul, the first time they would appear formally as the group Exo. Minseok still laughed at the name and their concept, but he was more than happy to go along with it. This was his dream after all, everything he had been working for. If he had to pretend he could control frost to debut it wouldn’t be a problem.

“I am more nervous for tomorrow.” Minseok thought about debuting in China, where he would be promoting alongside Exo-M. They were the Mandarin speaking subgroup, one half of Exo. They would live and promote in China as Exo-K lived and promoted in Korea.

Minseok had been trying to diligently study Mandarin since he had learned of his final destination. The only problem was finding time to study after practice. He had a set language class every Wednesday for two hours, he had been attending it for the last two years. Bilingualism was a trait pushed by SM Entertainment because it had marketable results.

The problem, Minseok found, was his ability to retain his lessons. Jongdae, who had been placed in Exo-M alongside him, picked up Mandarin far more quickly than Minseok. He seemed to understand everything after being told once, a fact that frustrated Minseok. Even conversing in Mandarin with Tao and Luhan – for practice – was usually an epic failure on Minseok’s part resulting in him using the wrong tones and usually calling someone a potato by accident.

“Hey, I will be there, everything will be fine.” Luhan grinned, tried to look reassuring, boosting Minseok’s confidence with his own.

“Get ready in five.” Ahreum instructed the boys. Everyone tensed, some of them pale, some of them bursting with unbridled energy.

“Here goes nothing. Exo- let’s love!” Junmyeon – no, he was Suho now – shouted at the group “It is our time to shine.” They shouted the slogan back, their voices mingled together, each man finding their own meaning in the words. The future was now.

***

The dorms in China were larger than what they had stayed in back in Korea. They were marginally nicer as well. “For our new stars” Ahreum joked, ruffling Yixing’s hair as she shooed the boys into their new home.

That was a few weeks ago. Since then they had gone to an awards show (which was awkward in Minseok’s opinion, they were all dazed by the media and the lights and – well, everything), been interviewed multiple times, and barely slept three hours a night.

Minseok had never felt so drained in his life. They still managed to smile for the camera, to answer interview questions with SM approved answers, to make small talk. But it was getting harder. Minseok felt it and so did everyone else.

“Two days, you have two days off.” Ahreum had instructed them “If you want to go somewhere you need one of the managers with you, that rule applies. Otherwise your schedules are free.”

The first day they all slept, almost the entire day. Ahreum brought them chicken and coke, patting their heads as they devoured the food and fell back asleep. The morning dawned, and the six men woke up with a mind to take advantage of at least one of their free days.

Yixing had decided to lock himself in his room, he wanted to spend some time composing. Kris had some friends in town, begrudgingly accepting a manager as he went to meet up with them in a shopping mall. Tao and Jongdae had accidently discovered a mutual love of a certain anime, leaving Luhan and Minseok to watch as the two of them hunkered down for a day long marathon (which had one positive outcome and that was Tao forgetting to be lovesick over Sehun for one day).

Minseok dragged Luhan into the room he shared with Tao, bored beyond belief and needing a plan. Their room assignments had changed since they had moved to China. Now Minseok shared a room with Tao. Luhan shared a room with Yixing while Jongdae and Kris made an odd couple in the largest room in the dorm. Two male managers shared a room, while Ahreum and another female manager had the small apartment next door. It may have bothered Minseok to not be near Luhan, had neither of them actually spent more than a couple hours a day in the dorms.

“We are in your hometown, is there anywhere we should go?” Minseok practically demanded a tour, groaning as he pointed towards the living room “I can’t sit and listen to their anime talk all day.”

“Do you want to go visit my parents?” Luhan asked. His face was unreadable, confusing Minseok. Luhan had never really talked about his parents in great detail – unless he was in the middle of an obvious lie.

It was also something that had not gone unnoticed, the fact that Luhan’s parents were clearly absent at their Chinese Showcase. All of the other parents had shown up, excluding Minseok’s parents. Jongdae’s had even flown in from Korea. Tao’s parents came, Yixing’s grandparents waved happily from the audience, and Kris’s Mom made a point to be in the front row. Luhan and Minseok were the only two without family or friends at the event.

“Sure, but um, where do they live? Which manager should we ask?” Minseok also wanted to ask what he should wear, if he should buy a gift, and a dozen other odd questions but he held his tongue.

“No manager. We can just leave. “

Minseok didn’t like the sound of sneaking out. There were fans outside their dorms and a very aware entertainment company monitoring their every move. “We can’t just leave, Luhan.”

“Sure we can. Follow me.”

Minseok followed dutifully, listening as Luhan walked up to Ahreum and stated his intent to go visit his parents.

“Are they sending a car?” She asked, checking her cell phone in the process.

“They will if you call them. “ Luhan motioned towards Minseok “Baozi is coming with me.”

“I will walk you guys to the car when it arrives.” Ahreum’s ready agreement shocked Minseok. So did the black Mercedes that picked them up in the underground parking structure, Ahreum waving goodbye as the car pulled out with the two young men in the backseat.

***

Minseok didn’t know what she was saying, he could only read her body language. She was stiff, formal, and unhappy. He wished he had picked up the Mandarin language the way Jongdae did so he would have an inkling about what was being discussed.

“Do you at least understand English?” She asked, raising an eyebrow in Minseok’s direction. Luhan’s Mother was dressed impeccably, her clothing clearly designer. Her makeup looked like it had been professionally done as did her hair. Large rings and a heavy jeweled necklace topped off her outfit.

Minseok was nervous meeting Luhan’s parents, even before he knew that at least one thing Luhan had told him way back when was true – that the Lu family was loaded. Once he realized that Luhan was part of a very, very well off family, Minseok’s anxiety had skyrocketed. He felt out of place, he felt lost – despite his strong emotions he still was very aware of the change that had come over Luhan when they had arrived at his parent’s house.

Luhan had held Minseok’s hand, guiding him into the house. Luhan’s palms were sweaty, when he greeted his Mother, his naturally upbeat expression turned sour. As the woman spoke his face turned red, his words became clipped and terse.

Now Minseok knew she was judging him. “No.” He answered on purpose. He understood more English than he did Mandarin but he wasn’t going to indulge the woman. Not when Luhan had his fists balled at his sides.

Luhan said something, quickly, his voice quivering as he made the statement. Minseok could pick up a few words - ài qíng, xìngfú – he recognized the words for love and happiness. What were they talking about?

Minseok fidgeted in his seat. The entire morning had been a blur. From a black Mercedes to an opulent residence in the most exclusive area of Beijing. Servants, a house full of expensive furniture and antiques, an angry woman that resembled Luhan. The tea they served was far too bitter for his liking.

A servant entered the room, speaking to Mrs. Lu in hushed tones.

“Minseok, my Father is home.” Luhan explained in Korean, “We should go greet him.”

Luhan’s Mother was quiet, suddenly accommodating as they walked towards the foyer of the large house. Minseok had forgotten how to even reach the main entryway, the number of hallways in the house dizzying and discombobulating.

A man was standing in the foyer, a servant helping him with his coat. Minseok looked at the man wondering how much Luhan took after him. It was clear that Luhan inherited his kind eyes and his small mouth. Luhan’s Father was taller than him, broader of shoulders. Luhan had gained his mother’s delicate frame.

The man looked Minseok up and down, gave a passing glance to Luhan, and then walked on without saying a word.

“Time to go.” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand, not looking back. They took a cab back to the dorms, earning a scolding from Ahreum.

“Are you okay?” Minseok had asked after they had returned home.

“Yeah. Just don’t ask me about it please.” Luhan answered, never giving any indication why he thought the visit was a good idea in the first place.

Minseok had a hard time sleeping that night, the scene of Luhan’s father replaying in his mind over and over again. The cold, steely glance he had directed at his own son, the lack of acknowledgement. Somehow, someway, Minseok knew that Luhan’s lies had a lot to do with that cold and ugly stare.

***

The day had been exhausting. Or had it been two days. Maybe three. Minseok wasn’t sure. It was a flurry of schedules, hair, makeup, schedules. He had slept in the car, a bit when he was having his makeup done. But that was how long ago…ten hours…five hours? He wasn’t sure at this point.

The six of them were at the SM building in Beijing, a much smaller operation than anything in Korea. The company had rented a small office building and converted several suites into practice rooms, the rest of the rooms reserved as offices for the management and other administrative employees present in the Chinese office.

Ahreum was sitting in the practice room, knitting in a corner as the boys practiced the choreography for Mama yet again. If they weren’t at a schedule they were practicing.

There was a knock on the practice room door, Ahreum putting down the fire engine red scarf she was half done with. She opened the door, speaking quietly. The boys barely paid attention, too busy fighting off exhaustion by continuing their practice. Minseok had recognized long ago that as long as he kept moving he could stay awake.

“Luhan.” Ahreum called quietly, effectively ending their practice. Minseok watched as Luhan walked to the door.

“Keep practicing.” Ahreum instructed the other five boys. Minseok went back to dancing but kept an eye on the door that Luhan had walked out of. He was curious why Luhan had bene called out. When he didn’t return in twenty minutes Minseok began to worry. Finally a break was called in the practice.

“Where did Luhan go?” Minseok asked Ahreum, knowing she would tell him if she could.

“His Father is here.” She answered quietly, still knitting, not bothering to look up.

***

Luhan didn’t return to the practice room. It was nearing dawn when Minseok heard the dorm door click open. He hadn’t been able to sleep, despite his extreme fatigue. He stared at the ceiling as Tao slumbered in the bed across the room, his mind full of worry over what the cold and distant man that he had met back in Luhan’s parent’s house could possibly want with his son.

Creeping out of bed at the noise of the front door opening, Minseok found Luhan in the kitchen, his back turned towards the entryway as he messed around with the coffee pot.

“Hey.” Minseok wasn’t sure what to say, what to ask, so he kept it simple. Luhan turned around, his face pale. His eyes were puffy, he had been crying, that much was obvious.

“Baozi.” Luhan tried to smile, tried to look like everything was okay but Minseok wasn’t buying it.

“What happened?”

“What do you mean?” Luhan went back to fidgeting with the coffee maker, throwing out the old grounds and refilling the basket with a few scoops of Columbian blend.

“Don’t pretend nothing happened.” Minseok walked over to Luhan, not wanting to pry but not wanting to discount his distress at the same time “You have been crying.”

“Crying? Ha.” Luhan tried to brush it off “Like I could cry.”

“What did your Dad say?” Minseok crossed his arms.

“That I should quit. That I should join the family business. That I am stupid. That I am good for nothing. The usual.”

“He is wrong.” Minseok said firmly. Luhan had stopped messing with the coffee maker, leaning over the counter with his back to Minseok he looked defeated, his posture relaxed as if he had half collapsed from the exhaustion of it all.

“Is he wrong?” Luhan asked softly.

“I think so. You are better than that. Than them. Don’t listen to him.”

“What if….you know…” Luhan turned around, leaning his back on the counter as he stared at the ceiling “What if…”

“You should have more confidence.”

“I should have more confidence?” His laugh was mocking, “Why do you put up with me?”

Minseok swallowed, narrowing his eyes “What do you mean?”

“I lie to you all the time. Why don’t you care?” His voice was raw, honest.

Minseok considered Luhan’s words. Wasn’t he obsessed with the reason behind Luhan’s lies? Wasn’t that the driving force, he had told himself, to get to know Luhan better? Why did none of it matter anymore? Why did Luhan lying seem so inconsequential when it was compared to their entire relationship-“Because I know you are a good person and you have your reasons?”

“Do I?” Luhan laughed, but it was sad.

“Yeah. Why do you put up with me?” Minseok hadn’t ever said it aloud, pinpointed it himself as a flaw “When I tear everything apart as soon as I am upset?”

His words seemed to break through the sarcastic front Luhan had put up around him. He looked serious, hurt even “Because you are you.”

“Then we feel the same.” Minseok smiled weakly.

“Funny that we found each other then. Two crazy people.”

“Yeah, I guess. Hey, let’s get some sleep.” He reached forward, grabbing Luhan’s arm gently, urging him to follow “My bed or yours?”

“Baozi…”Luhan stayed put, staring at his friend.

“Yeah?”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being you.”

Minseok didn’t miss the few stray tears that fell as they walked to Minseok’s room, laid on Minseok’s bed, side by side. He noticed the tears but didn’t say anything – call them out, ask what was wrong. Suddenly it didn’t matter why Luhan lied. What mattered was that Luhan was next to him, was okay, was as much his as he probably ever would be. Suddenly Minseok wasn’t chasing a mystery, he was settling for a mutual understanding that would likely lead to heartbreak.

***

It was a conversation late at night.

“Do you wish your life was different?” Luhan asked, his hand finding Minseok’s as they sat on the couch in the dorm living room. Everyone else had gone to bed, leaving the two oldest members of the group to finish watching their soccer game on television.

“No.” Minseok had no sunny alternative to the life he was currently leading. He honestly didn’t wish it was different.

“You are the only good some days, you know that?”

“Stop teasing me.” Minseok squeezed Luhan’s hand.

“At least you didn’t tell me to stop lying.” Luhan cocked his head to the side, staring at Minseok a second longer than he probably should have.

“Shut up Luhan.”

“Aye aye captain.”

***

It was the first time – that they kissed, properly kissed. It was also the first time Minseok realized how terrified Luhan was of flying. Two memorable events claiming a nine hour flight. It was a longest flight they had been on since debuting – they had flown into Korea, rendezvoused with Exo-K (with a lot of “get a room” and “seriously stop it” directed at a newly reunited Sehun and Tao) and were now on a trans-pacific flight to Los Angeles, California.

Three hours into the long flight Luhan started to squirm in his seat. He was sitting next to Minseok, falling asleep as soon as they took off. Later Minseok learned it was because he had taken sleeping pills.

“How long until we land?”

Minseok took his earbuds out, only barely hearing Luhan over the movie he was watching on his computer. “What?”

The plane jilted ever so, hitting a small patch of turbulence.

“We are going to die!” Luhan screamed out, gaining the attention of everyone around him.

“Shut up, hyung.” Baekhyun groaned, angry Luhan had woken him up from his nap.

“I better not die with all of you.” Kyungsoo said dryly, “Not before I have been to Disneyland anyway.”

The plane steadied out, “We are going to be okay.” Minseok wasn’t sure how to calm Luhan down. He didn’t have long to formulate a plan, Luhan motioned for him to move, whispering “Bathroom”.

Minseok stood up and let Luhan pass, watching as he staggered towards the bathroom at the back of the plane.

“Go check on him.” Ahreum whispered “He is really afraid of heights. If he starts to panic give him this.” She handed Minseok a pill bottle. He turned it over, reading the label. He had never heard of the medication before, Ahreum noticed his confusion “Anti-anxiety medication.” She explained.

The bathroom door was locked when Minseok got there. Minseok knocked lightly “It’s me. Are you okay? Do you need medicine?”

The bathroom door suddenly slid open, Luhan pulling Minseok into the tiny space and shutting the door.

“Yah! What are you doing?!” Minseok watched as Luhan clicked the lever, locking the door.

“Shhhh…I don’t want the other guys to know I am scared.” Luhan put his finger to his lips. There was not much space in the airplane bathroom, they were standing face to face with only a few inches between them. Minseok’s back rested on the small sink, feeling mildly uncomfortable.

“You should have thought about that before you screamed that we were all going to die.” Minseok rolled his eyes and looked towards the door, not daring to look Luhan in the eyes. Not now, not when they were so close.

“Baozi, I am a loser.” Luhan moved closer, “Do you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you Luhan.” Minseok sighed, still keeping his head turned “Everyone is afraid of something. It’s normal.”

“What are you afraid of?” Luhan perked up.

Minseok couldn’t answer that question, not honestly. He was afraid of everything disorderly, he was afraid of failure, and more than anything he was afraid of the way Luhan made him feel, the way he imagined years of feeling like this, years of Luhan next to him. Years of waiting, wanting, never having. Luhan finding a nice woman, getting married while Minseok held onto something that could never be.

“Snakes. I am afraid of snakes. ”Minseok answered calmly, willing away the depressing truth.

The plane hit another patch of turbulent air, rocking back and forth. Minseok turned to look at Luhan out of instinct, trying to brace himself against the sink as the younger man lurched forward with the force. Luhan reached out and grabbed onto Minseok’s shoulders, trying to hold himself steady. The end effect was a complete and total lack of space between them. Before Minseok could panic at the contact, Luhan was moving- speaking - the plane still shaking.

“Sorry, I can’t die without doing it once” He moved forward, capturing Minseok’s mouth in his own.

Minseok was shocked, not expecting it. He froze, uncertain of how to respond, acutely aware of Luhan’s mouth on his own. A thousand fantasies, things he thought about in the shower as he jacked off– things he shouldn’t have thought about in the shower – burst forth as his mind raced. Then Luhan moved his hands to rest on the back of Minseok’s neck and he was a goner.

He opened his lips, Luhan’s intensity begging for it. He felt Luhan’s tongue enter his mouth, , caressing. Minseok moaned, finding his hands moving around Luhan’s waist by necessity. He turned his head, craning backwards to allow Luhan to push forward, to take more, to claim.

Luhan was the first to break the kiss, but only for a second to catch his breath. He didn’t say anything, try to explain, try to ask if it was okay. Minseok pushed back this time, Luhan dipping his head only slightly so the shorter man could deepen the kiss.

Minseok felt like he was on fire. Heat coursed through him as he felt Luhan’s lips on his own, felt Luhan moan into the kiss, push forward, eager for more. It was a burn, a terrible burn that made him want more.

And then the turbulence stopped, the plane regaining its calm.

Luhan broke away, turning his head, his breathing ragged. Minseok stared at him, wanting more, wanting to continue, and knowing they wouldn’t.

“We should go back to our seats Baozi.” Luhan whispered, nudging Minseok to move off of him.

“ Luhan...” Minseok ran his hand through his hair frustrated “Are we not going to talk ab-“

“Is everything okay in there?” A knock came on the door, the voice of a chipper flight attendant breaking up the tension.

“Everything is fine! Great, one hundred percent great!” Luhan called back. They waited another minute before they left, returning to their seats in silence. Luhan stayed calm the rest of the flight, while Minseok brooded. He knew Luhan would never mention what had happened in the bathroom again, he was like that. And it pissed Minseok off.

***

They didn’t sit together on the plane ride back to Seoul. They didn’t share a hotel room in Los Angeles either, Minseok and Jongdae insisting that they should be roommates. They were cordial during their time backstage, their trip to Disneyland, and their few hours of downtime. It was hard to see the new rift between them, not at first anyway. But once they took the connecting flight to Beijing, everyone who even remotely was around the two of them could tell they were spitting fire over something.

The dorms had been cleaned top to bottom while they were away, Minseok was disappointed he had nothing to organize when they returned. He put the contents of his suitcase away carefully and then found himself itching for something to do.

“Ge…I miss Hun-ah.” Tao whined. Minseok had expected to hear at least a few days of Sehun woes now that Tao had spent some time with his boyfriend. He wasn’t disappointed. Being Tao’s roommate was for the most part enjoyable. The younger man didn’t make too big of a mess, he didn’t snore, and he was mindful of Minseok’s space. His only downside was his fragile emotions, which translated into him crying now and then as Minseok tried to fall asleep, screaming over things that were inconsequential, and generally being unpredictable with his moods.

“I know. But it will be okay. Didn’t the manager hyung say we would be moving to Korea for a while in the fall? Isn’t that good news?” Minseok cracked his knuckles. He was sitting on the edge of his bed, Tao reclining on his own small bed, his feet sticking awkwardly off the end.

“But that is sooooo far away.” Tao groaned, before asking quietly “Hyung, have you ever loved someone? Or really liked someone – so much it hurts?”

“Yeah.”

“Really? What were they like?” Tao was distracted by Minseok’s answer. Minseok decided that was the only reason he decided to be honest with Tao, at least partially honest. Or maybe he just needed someone to talk to.

“He was…”

“You like guys?!” Tao was surprised. Minseok had never told the group that, at least not that Tao remembered.

“Yeah. Well “Minseok cleared his throat “He is cute. Adorable but really manly. He laughs a lot and he…um…likes to act like a stupid .”

Tao had flipped over on his stomach, his head resting in his hands. Minseok thought he looked a bit like an overeager school girl, hearing some juicy gossip. “Why do you like him?” Tao asked, waiting for the answer with baited breath.

Minseok wanted to answer that he didn’t like him. He decided that wasn’t going to appease Tao so he kept it vague “He is a nice guy, when he wants to be...”

“Really? Well then wouldn’t you like every nice guy?”

“He is a nice guy who makes my heart beat faster, there. Is that enough?” Minseok threw a pillow at Tao, “Now hyung needs to take a nap.”

“Okay hyung. Thanks for trusting me with your secret.” Tao seemed to be thrilled at the fact he now knew something about Minseok no one else did.

Tao’s joy made Minseok smile, appreciating how excited Tao could get at times. “No problem. You are a good kid, Tao. Sehun is lucky to have you.”

***

The worst kind of torture. That was Luhan’s arm around his waist, smiling. It was Luhan urging him to make a heart sign with him, calling him Baozi on national television with a grin on his face. It was Luhan’s hand always finding his own, his smile always directed his way. It was Luhan telling the world his free time was spent shopping and playing soccer with Baozi. It was Luhan. Luhan was torture.

Minseok came to view it as some sort of weird release, the flood gates opening. Ignore each other, avoid each other, but let it burst forth when the cameras were trained their way. It didn’t escape the others notice, of course, but they both gave noncommittal answers when questioned on why they had drifted apart. They worked well together, so no one pressed the matter even if their icy offstage relationship was clear.

The late spring turned into summer. Their schedules were packed with variety show appearances and more interviews. Minseok felt horrible after each television appearance, regretting his language difficulties. He often stumbled or relied solely on a translator, Luhan always quick to lean over and circumvent the later from telling Minseok what was being said.

“It is funny he translates an hour worth of a show for you but you guys don’t talk at all off stage.” Kris remarked one day. He was with Minseok, lifting weights at the gym they frequented.

“We just grew apart, that’s all.” Minseok explained casually. They hadn’t spent a second alone in the last month.

***

“I don’t think he is going back to Korea.” Yixing had pulled Minseok into his room, shutting the door quietly. The other guys were watching a movie, Yixing had looked for just the right moment to pull Minseok aside for a much needed talk.

“What?!” Minseok squeaked, his tone higher as he tried to process what Yixing had just said.

“He is too afraid to fly again, he is depressed. Look“, Yixing seemed a bit embarrassed as he continued “I shouldn’t in with what is going on with you guys. But Ge, this is serious. I think he is going to quit.”

“Why?” Minseok demanded, it didn’t make sense. Luhan had never given him any indication that he wanted to leave the group. Not after they debuted any way.

“You know Kris isn’t in it anymore.” Yixing stated the obvious. In the last two weeks the other guys had overheard more than one argument between Kris and management over their return to Korea and halt in Chinese promotions, set to occur in a couple of months. “I think Luhan started thinking he is right – that leaving China isn’t a good thing. I don’t think he really believes it though, it is an excuse. He just wants to lock himself away, Ge.”

“I don’t get it. Why would Luhan be depressed?” Minseok was truly puzzled. Luhan seemed to avoid him more than he avoided Luhan, so it wasn’t like their fight had anything to do with it. For a few weeks after the events on the plane Minseok had read into it, thought Luhan liked him at least a bit. Those thoughts had faded, replaced with a resolution that Luhan didn’t like him, couldn’t like him, and had acted on a mixture of fear and confusion. It wasn’t because of their fight. No, it had to be the flying Minseok decided. Yixing corrected him.

“He is in love with you. Has been for the last couple years. And he is tearing himself apart from the inside out about it.”

“He….loves…me?”

“Yeah. And I know you two need to work this stuff out for yourselves, really, but hell – I can’t see Luhan Ge quit over this. Not when I am pretty sure you feel the same way.”

Minseok didn’t answer. He felt like time had stopped. So Luhan felt the same way? Luhan…liked him? Loved him?

“For years?” The memory of a kiss on the cheek, a confession to an ex-girlfriend, what it all meant – the hugs and night after night sleeping next to each other.

“If you don’t do something, I think he will leave. Just think about it, please.” Yixing grabbed Minseok into a hug, patting his friends back “I like both of you too much to see it end this way. I am not trying to put everything on your shoulders, Ge, but I don’t know what else to do.”

***

Minseok took a chance the next night, requesting that he share a hotel room with Luhan. They were set to appear on Happy Camp, a popular variety show filming in the Hunan province of China. It would be their second time on the program, their first appearance had been deemed a success by the company. When they travelled they always shared rooms and often made requests of who they wanted to room with; it wasn’t unusual in and of itself. Still, Ahreum had given Minseok a questioning look at his request but made the arrangements nonetheless. When they arrived at the hotel and received their assigned rooms, Luhan looked confused.

“Was there a mistake?” He asked, a fair question after it became the norm for Minseok to room with anyone but him. Ahreum told him no.

It was insanely awkward, those first few minutes.

Luhan the television, flipping to a soccer game, while Minseok carefully unpacked, neither man bothering to speak the first word.

Minseok was intensely aware of Luhan lying on the double bed, his legs crossed as he watched the soccer game. He stole a glance now and then, looking away quickly lest Luhan notice him. He knew he had to say something, but it was hard to find the right words. Ever since his talk with Yixing he had tried to imagine a million ways to approach the subject, all of his imagined scenarios making him blush and pull his hair out in frustration. What if Yixing was wrong? What if Minseok made a fool out of himself?

“I was a soccer player once, you know.” Luhan didn’t look away from the television, “My parents said they didn’t want me to focus on the sport professionally. They thought I might get hurt.”

“Oh. Really?” Minseok wanted to cry at his own awkward response.

“Hm. Yeah.” Luhan suddenly turned the television off. Minseok wasn’t ready for this, he bit his bottom lip. “Baozi…” He definitely wasn’t ready for the term of endearment, spoken in a room where they were alone “I don’t think I should do this anymore.”

“Why? This is your dream.” Minseok was firm, tried to be firm in his response. He couldn’t just let this go, let Luhan go like this. Not if what Yixing said was true.

“It hurts.” Luhan’s eyes were tearing up, his voice chocked “It hurts here. Doesn’t it hurt for you?”

“Not if you are here it doesn’t.” Minseok kept a straight face, trying not to show how much it affected him to see Luhan like this.

“Ha. Look at me, tearing up like a baby.” Luhan wiped at his eyes “Sorry Baozi. I have just been down lately.”

“Luhan…do you like me?” Minseok moved over to sit beside the younger man, acting uncharacteristically bold.

“Of course Baozi. I wish we hadn’t fought again. I am so sorry.” Luhan sniffled.

Minseok stuttered, unsure, but needing to say it “No. I mean..I mean - I mean I wish that too. I …Luhan, I like you. I like you not as a friend. More than that…not to…I just… I like how you smile like a dork, I like how you smell, I like drinking coffee with you. I like seeing you in the morning, I like seeing you at night. I like you, all of you. I liked when you kissed me, but I didn’t like how you wanted to pretend it didn’t happen.” Minseok wasn’t going to let that hurt go, he wouldn’t let it go, feeling like Luhan ignored it all. It was counterproductive though, because in the end what mattered is that he wouldn’t let him go.

“You liked it when I kissed you?” Luhan looked surprised, the tears still falling. “You like me?”

Minseok let his actions speak, not trusting his clumsy words. He pulled Luhan towards him, kissing his lightly on the mouth “Yeah, I like you. Idiot.”

Luhan blushed, “You have to be ting me. Really?”

“Yeah…..and I think you are the last person to know. Just like apparently I am the last person to know you like me…if you do that is.”

Luhan laughed, freely, with abandon, throwing his arms around Minseok “I have liked you for so long it hurts. God damn it. God damn it Baozi.” Tears streaming down his cheeks. Luhan giggled.

It was easy for Minseok to reach forward, pulling Luhan close. He stayed still as Luhan wept into his shoulder, hiding his head. Finally he spoke, his words muffled against Minseok’s t-shirt “Thank you Baozi.”

“Thank you Luhan.” Minseok smiled, feeling like the weight of the world had been lifted off of this shoulders.

Luhan raised his head, the tear stains and his puffy cheeks making him appear even younger than normal. Minseok was torn between wanting to pinch is cheeks and ravish him with kisses. He stayed still, not wanting to mess anything up.

“I want to know…are you…do you…”

Minseok reached out, running his fingers through Luhan’s messy hair, not bothering to guess what Luhan was asking him. Just enjoying the feeling of being with him, both of their cards on the table, both of their wants transparent.

Luhan sniffled, causing both of them to giggle.

“It wasn’t supposed to be this sad.” Minseok smiled, trying to lighten the mood “Aren’t we supposed to be naming our future children right now?”

“Baozi…” Luhan said sadly, slowly “You know I have problems.”

“What problems? We all have problems.” Minseok wasn’t going to talk about it right now, talk about the way they acted, the way the coped with their lives. He didn’t want to. He just wanted them to be together, to be happy, and to cherish the moment. He realized he no longer cared if Luhan wanted to claim his parents were astronauts or that he used to be a ninja. No, he didn’t care about any of that. Luhan was more than a story, more than a lie. Luhan was…his, and he wanted to be with him forever.

Luhan didn’t talk about problems again, not that night any way. He held onto what he had wanted for so long, dragging Minseok back to lie on the bed next to him. He held the older man tightly to him, not willing to believe that the feelings were mutual. They didn’t kiss, or speak, or make promises that could not be kept. They held onto each other, keenly aware that they finally had something they had been wanting for so long something neither man thought would ever become reality. They had each other, what came next was unknown.

***

Fifteen Years Later

“You are so full of it!”

Hye Jin grinned, a toothy grin that was a bit lopsided. She had a tendency to look a bit mischievous, she had a tendency to act that way as well. It wasn’t a rare occurrence for her parents to receive a call from the principal reporting her latest misdeed.

“I am not full of it! You are just stupid.” She stuck her tongue out at her classmate, a tall boy who liked to .

“So you are saying your parents used to be celebrities? You are such a liar.” He crossed his arms and stared down at the little girl. He wasn’t much taller than her, but he was tall enough for his age to look imposing to his classmates.

“Whatever.” Hye Jin flipped her long black hair, rolling her eyes.

“Then why don’t they come here, huh, if they are such big shots? Or are they scared of being seen with their ugly, lying little girl?”

Hye Jin’s fist was a second away from colliding with the boys jaw when a familiar voice shouted from across the school yard. “So help me Hye Jin if you punch another person!”

The boy froze, looking towards the sound of the voice. School had just been dismissed, kids were milling about waiting for the bus or their parents to pick them up. The boy watched as more than a few mothers suddenly dragged their kids across the playground towards the new-comer.

“Papa!” Hye Jin forgot her anger and skipped towards where the group of parents were gathering. The boy watched as the subject of his torment managed to push through the crowd and leap into the arms of a man.

“Oh my god…is that…Xiumin and Luhan?! From Exo!” Oohs and aahs were heard all around as middle aged Mothers reverted to teenage girls. It wasn’t a usual site at the school - two celebrities walking amongst the schoolyard.

It had been thirteen years since Luhan had quit Exo, filed a lawsuit and walked away from the group. Minseok had stayed with him through it, understanding that Luhan needed something life in Exo couldn’t provide, something only Luhan could find on his own. He needed to understand what he could do, what his parents opinions actually meant to him, and how Luhan wanted Luhan’s life to go - not shaping himself to meet everyone else's expectations. His health had taken a downturn, a byproduct of his acrophobia and long working hours. Luhan couldn’t do it anymore, and Minseok knew it.

They had made it work somehow. They argued over skype, broke up for a few months one time, but got back together. When Minseok was in Beijing they met secretly, for years it was a routine set of phone conversations, holiday trips, beautiful reunions, and sad goodbyes. But they held onto each other, because there was an understanding between them that was more than a hasty argument or a long physical separation could tear asunder.

It had been seven years since Minseok had let his contract with SM expire, deciding not to renew. He had served his mandatory military service, complete with weekly letters from Luhan. Minseok had secretly thanked the heavens the man hadn’t pitched a tent at the army base as he had once threatened. Once his service was up his contract had expired. It was an easy decision to pack up his things and move to Beijing, where Luhan waited for him.

It had six years since the tabloids had posted the grainy photographs, headlines blaring “Luhan and Kim Minseok - More than just friends?” It had been a scandal at the time, those images of the two kissing, holding hands, dating. They had admitted to it, born the brunt of the public’s homophobia. It was okay, they told each other, because they didn’t want to be celebrities anymore. That was past them. They opened a coffee house chain in Beijing and invested in property, Luhan proving himself to have excellent business acumen. And five years ago they had adopted a little girl, with wide eyes and a temper that Luhan said could only rival Minseok’s. They became a family.

Hye Jin looked proud, smug even, as she was picked up by a handsome middle aged man. He kissed her on the cheek. “What did Papa tell you about hitting boys?”

“I shouldn’t do it.” Hye Jin pouted “But he called me a liar!”

“Did he?” Another man reached over and ruffled Hye Jin’s hair playfully “What a shock.”

“Shut it Baozi.” The man holding Hye Jin rolled his eyes “How is our little girl today, besides ready to fight?”

“Good papa. Can we go now?” The little girl wrapped her arms around the man’s neck, snuggling her face into his shirt. The man laughed, patting her head before setting her down.

Requests for autographs were denied, politely turned down, as the two men each took one of Hye Jin’s hands and started the walk towards their waiting car.

“Let’s go home.” Hye Jin smiled brightly “I want to watch music videos.”

“Seriously where does she get that from?” The shorter man rolled his eyes.

“Dad! Papa! The music program will be on soon. Let’s go!”

The happy little family left the schoolyard behind, dropping more than one jaw as they passed by. Little liar indeed.

End.