The Marine Pt 2

The Adversities of Adulthood
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] THE MARINE - part 2 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Yoongi + OC (Song Ga Yoon)

 

Part Two

Word Count: 6.1K

Written by: AnnieWilson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You ready for Hottie McTottie today?” Krystal asks the therapist the next day, when they’re sitting in her office/therapy room. Ga Yoon rolls her eyes but can’t help the tint in her cheeks. Min Yoongi called earlier that day to reschedule his appointment, so that he could see her as soon as possible.

 

 

She was in the room when it happened so Krystal passed her the phone. Ga Yoon only agreed because he sounded very desperate and every time something like that happened, it was usually because the patient was really trying to reach out to someone for help before something bad happened.

 

 

Like, say, suicide.

 

 

But then she heard his voice and, dammit, Krystal was right. His voice did unnecessary, irrational things to her. She was almost tempted to transfer him through to one of her colleagues just for safe measure but Krystal stopped her.

 

 

“Of course not,” Ga Yoon mutters in response to the girl’s question. “Remember this is a professional workplace, Krystal-ah. No funny business; meaning no romance with the patients.”

 

 

“That’s personal preference, isn’t it?” Krystal asks. Ga Yoon’s jaw drops and she quickly shakes her head.

 

 

“No, Krystal! It’s the law,” she tells her and the girl makes a surprised ‘oh’ sound, then pouts. “Yeah, exactly. You can’t date  current patients or have any sort of improper or ual relationship with them.”

 

 

“So…when he stops being your patient, then you can date him?” Krystal presses, grinning smugly. Ga Yoon rolls her eyes and starts shoving the girl out of her office. “Wait, eonnie!” Krystal is giggling mischievously as she’s kicked out of the room.

 

 

“Doctor Song?”

 

 

Ga Yoon looks over to the reception where the full-time receptionist, Han Sunhwa, called out from. Standing in front of her, dressed in a white t-shirt, black jeans, boots and a leather jacket, is a man. He turns around, revealing platinum blond hair under a black beanie.

 

 

 

 

“Oh, ,” Krystal mutters under her breath, loud enough only for Ga Yoon to pick up. “No way that is-”

 

 

“Min Yoongi is here for his appointment, Doctor Song,” Sunhwa informs her. Ga Yoon and Krystal look at each other with wide eyes before flicking their gazes over to the man. He purses his lips and shoves his hands in his pocket. “Doctor Song?”

 

 

“Uh, um, yeah,” Ga Yoon clears and cracks a smile. “I apologise for my tardiness.”

 

 

“No, I’m just early,” Yoongi says, waving off her apology. She gulps when his voice is even crisper in person. She subconsciously reaches for her white coat and dusts it. She really regrets wearing her old black trousers and plain blouse today.

 

 

Wait, what is she thinking? He’s a patient!

 

 

Well, potential.

 

 

Same difference, Ga Yoon mentally snaps at herself.

 

 

“Please, come this way,” she says, holding out her arm in the direction of the office. He presses his lips in a firm line, nods at Sunhwa, before making his way over to Ga Yoon. He passes a gawking Krystal without so much as a glance in her direction. 

 

 

Once the patient and the therapist enter the room, Ga Yoon closes the door behind them — Yoongi jumps a little at that — and ushers him to the comfortable leather sofa in her office. Patients are always impressed at how plush it is.

 

 

Many even fall asleep during the calmer therapy sessions.

 

 

“Well, I guess we should start with introductions. My name is Song Ga Yoon, I’m twenty nine years old and I hope we establish a healthy relationship here today,” she says as a routine. She always says the same thing, every time she meets a patient for the first time.

 

 

Everything after the introduction, she personalises because, well, that’s what everyone deserves — to be treated individually.

 

 

“You may call me anything you wish — nothing insulting, of course — and I’d like it if you also introduced yourself in the manner you’d wish me to address you,” she continues. Min Yoongi sighs and takes his hands out of his pocket, instead entwining them between his knees.

 

 

Ga Yoon is good at reading people and she has a keen eye.

 

 

She knows that whilst Min Yoongi is acting like he’s not at all affected by being here or by her presence, he’s actually very nervous. His palms are sweating and he’s trying hard to control both his breathing and heart rates. His foot keeps twitching, telling her he's also struggle to keep it from tapping the floor uncontrollably. 

 

 

“Min Yoongi, 29,” he states plainly. “Just call me Yoongi, I guess.”

 

 

“Okay, Yoongi,” she smiles, “you have my attention for the next two hours. Tell me about yourself.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoongi should be used to this — no, he is. He tells himself that he’s used to this part of therapy. The part where he has to tell his life story to a complete stranger and hope that they can somehow use their magical psychotherapy powers to heal his broken mind.

 

 

But he’s not ready. He’s nervous. His palms are sweaty, his hair is dampening under Jiyong’s beanie, his foot is twitching with the urge to tap the floor and if he has to look at the beautiful therapist for a minute longer, he might just snap.

 

 

That’s another problem — who the hell allowed a woman that good looking to become a psychologist? Why is she so young? Why is she so…

 

 

Stop it, Yoongi.

 

 

Snap out of it.

 

 

He hears beeping from her computer and jumps. Her eyes sharpen but she says doesn’t comment on it.

 


“Yoongi?” Her voice is soft and velvety. His eyes snap up to meet her captivating gaze and he his dry lips before clearing his throat. “Are you alright?”

 

 

“I’m fine,” he answers gruffly. He misses the way her cheeks go a little pink. “I’m just…I hate this part.”

 

 

“So you’ve been to therapy before,” she states, rather than asks. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of — being nervous, that is. Just take a deep breath and relax. Remember, I’m not here to judge you. I’m here to listen and, hopefully, be of help to you.”

 

 

“But,” he sighs and cracks his neck, “I never know where to start.” He looks at her and she’s waiting patiently for him to continue. He hasn’t spoken to her much yet but he’s already starting to see why Seokjin said she’s popular.

 


She has a face and an aura that you want to trust.

 

 

“Well, um, I guess I’ll start at the beginning,” he mutters, then clears his throat again. “I’m a Marine.”

 

 

 

And he tells her his life story. He tells her about his background: how he grew up in a good, pleasant environment. His parents were, and still are, happily married. He has two younger sisters, both of them married and with children. He was always the man of the house, from a young age, since his father was more of a laissez-faire kind of guy. He’s the one who had to ground his sisters when they misbehaved and he had to make sure his mother didn’t spend the weekly grocery allowance on shoes.

 

 

But he liked it. He liked being the leader and having responsibility. He wasn’t bossy — he didn’t tell people what to do and then watched them do it. He was a born-leader — he told people what to do and then did it with them.

 

 

For those reasons, he decided to pursue degree a criminology so that once he was done and old enough, he could join the police force and work his way up. But, in his junior year of college, he met someone.

 

 

A 21-year-old by the name of Kwon Jiyong. Jiyong had just transferred from another school but was studying the same course as him. They immediately hit it off. They were alike in many ways but also very different: where Yoongi preferred to spend a Sunday in bed, Jiyong insisted that they party it up even though it was a holy day and many places would be closed.

 

 

But they clicked — they fit. They became the best of friends in no time and it’s Jiyong who changed Yoongi’s mind. Yoongi tells Ga Yoon how it had always been Jiyong’s plan to join the marines, since his father was one and he wanted to do him proud, as well as serve their country.

 

 

Jiyong was a crazy man, a rascal. But he had a heart of gold and Yoongi looked up to him. Jiyong was his idol, as well as his best friend.

 

 

So, in June 2008, when the two of them graduated, they immediately enlisted in the South Korean Marine Corps. They supported each other, picked each other up when they fell down, fought for each other and completed their training together. They were declared Commissioned Officers together and moved up the ranks together.

 

 

Then, in 2010, Jiyong was killed.

 

 

They didn’t die together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ga Yoon is a bit speechless. She’s heard her fair share of shocking life stories and she’s even heard more gory and frightening ones. But Min Yoongi’s story touches her in a way she hasn’t been touched before — and she can’t, for the life of her, figure out how or why.

 

 

It’s not the most tragic story she’s ever heard. It’s not the most tear-jerking.

 

 

But, yet, when he finishes telling her his story, she has to grab a tissue from the box beside her and dab her eyes.

 

 

“Ah, um,” she clears , “sorry. I swear I’m not usually this emotional…” She laughs nervously, “It just…really touched me, that’s all.” She meets Yoongi’s gaze and they stare at each other, in total silence.

 

 

They don’t talk anymore and she doesn’t comfort him.

 

 

They just stare.

 

 

Until a knock sounds on her door some time later and Sunhwa pokes her head in.

 

 

“I’m sorry to interrupt, Doctor Song, but, um…it’s been almost three hours,” she reveals. Ga Yoon’s eyes bulge out in surprise and she misses the equally, if not more, shocked look on Yoongi’s face. “You missed your lunch and your next patient will be here in a few minutes.”

 

 

“Oh, sh-” Ga Yoon manages to catch herself in time. “Thank you, Sunhwa.” The receptionist nods and leaves the room, closing the door. Ga Yoon huffs out a breath and turns back to Yoongi. “I’m really sorry about that, I never usually run over time, either. God…what a bad first impression, right?”

 

 

 

“Not at all,” Yoongi replies softly and Ga Yoon finds herself blushing slightly. “I’m the one who should be sorry for making you miss your lunch. I didn’t mean to…say so much.”

 

 

“Don’t apologise,” Ga Yoon quickly cuts in. “It’s good that you felt comfortable enough to tell me all that. And, frankly, I enjoyed listening to you. You have a good voice for talking. I mean- it’s nice and deep. I mean, just that it’s soothing and-” She doesn’t have any more time to feel explain that nonsense before Yoongi bursts out laughing.

 

 

“That’s a new one,” he says, still chuckling. “A soothing voice? Nice and deep? Are you flirting with me, Doctor?”

 

 

Ga Yoon goes red in the face, “A-aniyo! Of course not! It’s against company policy and I simply wouldn’t—”

 

 

“Calm down, Ga Yoon,” Yoongi says and surprise flashes in his eyes. Ga Yoon can’t decipher the meaning behind it. “I was just teasing you.” She fans her cheeks and laughs softly. “Thank you for seeing me under such short notice.”

 

 

 

 

They stand up and take each other’s hands in a handshake. 

 

 

Ga Yon smiles, “It was my pleasure. Does that mean I’ll be seeing you again?”

 

 

Yoongi purses his lips in thought before cracking a smile, “I guess it does.” She leads him out of her office and back to the reception. 

 

 

“Sunhwa, here, will discuss times and dates with you,” she tells him, nodding at the receptionist. “It was nice meeting you, Yoongi.”

 

 

“See you later, Doctor.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~ ♦ ~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Look at you, lookin’ all fine and ,” Krystal comments and Ga Yoon grins sheepishly, brushing her hands over the aqua-coloured dress she’s wearing. It’s tight and rather revealing, two traits she doesn’t usually opt for. 

 

 

“You think?” she asks, biting her bottom lip as she turns around multiple times, inspecting herself in the full-length mirror of her room. Krystal nods eagerly, her own grin sincere. “Ah, komawo. Then…I guess we’re good to go?”

 

 

“Daebak!” the younger woman exclaims, jumping to her feet. How she manages to do that in six inch heels, never ceases to amaze Ga Yoon. The older woman did agree, weeks ago, that she'd go clubbing with her dongsaeng. She's been pushing it back, using a range of excuses as to why she can't attend a nightclub. Krystal has had enough and is determined to drag Ga Yoon out by the hair if she has to.

 

 

She's worried for her eonnie. While Krystal is young and has plenty of time to find the right person for her, Ga Yoon is almost thirty and has no male friends other than Kim Seokjin, who is married and has a child, so it doesn't really count. Krystal sees it as her duty to make her eonnie more outgoing in hopes that it'll give her the confidence to take the plunge and ask someone out.

 

 

Together, they head through the therapist’s house and make it to the entrance before Ga Yoon’s phone goes off. Krystal narrows her eyes, pinning them on the older woman. “Don’t you dare.”

 

 

“I have to,” the older woman says, wincing apologetically. She answers the call and holds the phone up to her ear. “Yoboseyo?”

 

 

“D-Doctor Song?”

 

 

Ga Yoon furrows her brows at the familiar, yet uncharacteristically shaky voice of who she thinks she may be on the line to. “Yoongi-ssi? Something happened. Tell me what’s the matter.” Stating that rather than asking them if there’s a problem has proven to be more effective, as the patient is less likely to back out or hang up if their distress is i

Please log in to read the full chapter