Chapter 10 - Lucky

The Millionaire Matchmaker

unedited again, i think we've all established im a lazy poop by now  ;)

Kyungsoo groans as he wakes up, cracking an eye open to peer at the alarm clock beeping on the bedside table. He eyes it grumpily and reaches up to switch it off—only to find he can’t. Two tanned arms are wrapped securely round his middle, and a chin is hooked over his shoulder. Jongin’s legs are a jumble with his beneath the blankets, and the younger is still sweetly dreaming.

Kyungsoo wrestles himself free as gently as he can, and sighs in relief when he turns the alarm clock off. The lateness in the year means it’s still dark at 6am and Kyungsoo wants more than anything to curl up and go back to sleep. He drops his head back onto his pillow and the arms around his waist curl themselves around him again with a soft groan.

“Five more minutes?” Jongin grumbles quietly from behind Kyungsoo, his hair tickling Kyungsoo’s cheek and his breath hitting his neck, making Kyungsoo squirm.

Kyungsoo smiles in the darkness and nods, knowing Jongin can feel him.

The arms around him squeeze tightly, and Kyungsoo is sure he can hear a muffled “Squishy,” mumbled into his shoulder but he’s too happy to care as he sinks back into a deep sleep.

***

“We should get up now.”

“No we shouldn’t.”

“Jongin its quarter to eleven.”

“Don’t care.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and slides out of bed as elegantly as he can (which isn’t very elegantly at all if he’s honest.)

Jongin mumbles and moans about the lack of Kyungsoo’s body heat and makes blind grabby motions on Kyungsoo’s side of the bed, never once opening his eyes.

Kyungsoo watches him fondly for a moment. He hasn’t officially moved in with Jongin yet, but he figures when he does he’ll be waking up to this grumpy Jongin pretty frequently.

Kyungsoo reaches under the duvet and clasps a cold hand round a warm ankle and begins to pull gently.

Jongin squeals like a four year old and clutches his pillow tighter. “Noooo, Soo noooo! No let me stay in bed!”

Kyungsoo keeps dragging, giggling as Jongin tumbles into a crumpled heap of limbs and bed linen at the foot of the bed. There is some scrabbling around and then a messy head of hair is poking out from the top of the pile. Jongin eyes Kyungsoo moodily, pout ever present on his face.

“Big day today Jonginnie...” Kyungsoo sings and Jongin growls, burrowing down under the covers again.

Kyungsoo doesn’t coo. Not at all. Ok maybe slightly. But definitely not loud enough for Jongin to hear.

Jongin still has some last minute work to do before the company gala tonight, and the last thing Kyungsoo wants is for the younger to be rushing around and giving himself more stress, which is exactly what will happen if he spends his entire day lounging around.

Kyungsoo sighs in defeat and plods into the kitchen, hoping that the smell of a freshly brewing coffee will wake Jongin up.

 

 

Once Jongin finally moves himself around gets out of bed, it is clear that the younger is more nervous than he may have previously said.

Kyungsoo made porridge and even gave it 3 big swirls of honey—just as Jongin likes it—but the younger is looking at it glumly and stirring it lazily, with zero intention of eating anything.

“Are you ok?” Kyungsoo asks with his eyebrows furrowed anxiously. Jongin has a big day ahead of him and he needs to eat well.

Jongin looks up. “Yeah, yeah... I’m fine...” he blusters, waving his hand in the air. He half-heartedly picks up a spoonful and nibbles a bit off the end.

Kyungsoo regards him with a no nonsense look. “You sure about that? You never turn down porridge and honey. I even gave you extra honey, diabetes be damned!”

Jongin blushes and his hand drops to his bowl, spoon clattering. He rubs his hands over his eyes and takes a deep shuddery breath. “No, I’m not. I’m terrified.” His voice is strained as he speaks, looking down at the table.

Kyungsoo listens patiently as ever.

“I’m sorry for always going on about this Soo, but I just... it didn’t seem real until now. I’ve known for months and months that I’m going to take over, and now it’s come to it I... I don’t think I’m ready. I’m not old enough, I haven’t done enough, I’ve not been with you enough and once I take over properly I’m going to less and less time to see you and—“

Jongin is silenced courtesy of Kyungsoo leaning over the breakfast bar and placing a finger on his lips.

“Jongin.” He says firmly. Kyungsoo moves his palm to cup Jongin’s cheek, and the younger leans the weight of his head into it, closing his eyes.

Kyungsoo’s eyes soften as he regards him. “Believe it or not, you’re going to be an excellent CEO. You’ve been in training for years, you know the drill. Your dad’s left you and excellent business with wonderful staff that are all going to take excellent care of you. Business leaders all over the world know you’re going to do an excellent job. I know you will, Sehun knows you will and most of importantly your dad knows you will. The problem is that you don’t trust yourself. Unless you start believing you can do it, nothing will happen. Now, eat your porridge, it’s getting cold.”

Jongin grouses sulkily, prodding at the porridge with his spoon. “I don’t have an appetite though.” He whines. “I’m too tired to eat.”

Kyungsoo sighs, and knows exactly where Jongin is headed with this. He wordlessly gets up and walks round the breakfast bar, hopping up onto the stool next to Jongin’s.

Jongin smiles indulgently and leans his head onto Kyungsoo’s left shoulder, closing his eyes.

Kyungsoo opens today’s paper on the table in front of him with his left hand, then picks up Jongin’s spoon with his right.

“Come on sleepy,” he says, bringing the spoon of porridge up to Jongin’s lips. He opens his mouth but doesn’t open his eyes and smiles happily when Kyungsoo feeds him mouthfuls of porridge.

Kyungsoo lazily turns the pages of the newspaper and withholds the eye roll at what a baby his boyfriend is.

***

“Jongin... what time are we supposed to be at the conference tonight?”

“Erm... half past seven I think... Why?”

Kyungsoo springs up from the sofa, looking at the clock frantically.

“It’s quarter to right now Jongin.”

Jongin freezes for a second. They’d spent the day lounging around in their onesies trying not to think about what was to come that evening, and they’d paid little attention to the time. That might not have been the best idea, because now they have 45 minutes to get the two of them ready and at the building where the conference was going to be held. Jongin jumps up and grabs Kyungsoo’s hand. “Looks like we’re going to have to share the shower, come on, come on!”

 

Maybe it was a good idea to run late, Jongin thinks briefly as he and Kyungsoo pile into the shower. It’s rather enjoyable having Kyungsoo’s soft hands massaging the shampoo into his hair for him, and it certainly distracts him from the knots in his tummy.

By tonight, the whole world will know his boyfriend is Do Kyungsoo.

He’s not strictly speaking nervous of telling people—hell, no he’s proud to call someone as gorgeous as Kyungsoo is boyfriend—he’s more worried about how people are going to react to the news.

It’s the 21st century for goodness sake, he shouldn’t be worrying, but somehow he is. Jongin is worried that Kyungsoo is going to suffer a backlash, that he will be hated on and trolled and spat at in the street. (He’s exaggerating, he knows.)

Being friends with Sehun means that Jongin has had his fair share of experiences with the internet generation and they can be ruthless. Sehun would kill Jongin if he ever told anyone, but he had on occasions been brought to tears by some scathing anonymous hate, and Jongin only wants to see Kyungsoo cry if it is in happiness thank you very much.

Jongin closes his eyes and tilts his head back obediently when Kyungsoo tells him to, the smaller reaching up to rinse his hair for him.

“You’re thinking to hard Jongin.” He says suddenly.

“Huh?”Jongin asks, not wanting to tip his head down to look at him for fear of getting soap in his eyes.

“You’re thinking too much, worrying too much and you’re going to psych yourself out if you’re not careful. You need to relax and stop over complicating things. Nothing bad is going to happen, it’ll all be fine. Do you need me to sing to you or something?” Kyungsoo teases.

Jongin cracks one eye open and is rendered momentarily breathless at the sight of Kyungsoo with wet hair plastered to his forehead looking so beautiful and ethereal before giving a cheeky grin. “Now that you mention it, jagiya, a little singsong would be nice.”

Kyungsoo flushes. Oh so I’m jagiya now am I? He has to admit the term of endearment is pleasing rolling off Jongin’s tongue. Kyungsoo hits the younger softly in the chest, a cloud of bubbles frothing into the air. “Fine then, what’s your request?”

Jongin thinks for a second before smiling. “The Weeknd?”

Kyungsoo groans and rolls his eyes. “You’re such a ert, d’you know that?”

Jongin merely chuckles and playfully gestures for Kyungsoo to keep washing his hair.

***

Both Kyungsoo and Jongin are wrapped up tightly in their warm winter coats as they stand on the pavement, waiting to hail a cab.

“You’re a freaking millionaire heir and you still don’t have a chauffeur?” Kyungsoo complains mildly, checking his hair in the reflection of a bin attached to a lamppost.

“I like taxis. They make me feel normal, and you look fine Soo, stop worrying.” Jongin says, tugging Kyungsoo away from the bin.

“Easy for you to say, you always look handsome.” Kyungsoo mutters under his breath. Both of them are in their smartest dinner suits, and their hair is gelled to perfection, although Kyungsoo whines that Jongin’s still looks good after being tugged at by the wind whereas he looks like he’s been pulled through a bush backwards.

Jongin anxiously checks the time on his phone. They have less than half an hour to get to the conference. The journey should take no longer than 10 minutes by car, but Seoul’s traffic was never flowing when you needed it to be.

Just Kyungsoo spots a cab in the distance; Jongin grabs his arm, his face pale.

“Jongin? What is it? Please don’t pass out; I don’t think I’m strong enough to carry you...”

“Soo, we haven’t told my dad yet. We have to tell my dad.” Jongin runs a panicked hand over his face. “I can’t announce something as big as that to the whole world and not even tell my own father first.”

Kyungsoo runs through several options in his head, and none of them have a perfect outcome. There’s going to have to be a compromise somewhere.

“Where will your dad be? Do you think he’ll still be at the Enterprises building?”

“Probably. He never likes turning up early.”

“Right then. Looks like we’ll have to keep the rest of the world waiting a little longer. Call Sehun, let him know we’re on our way but we’ll be slightly delayed.” Kyungsoo says as he flags the cab down and scrambles into the back seat, dragging Jongin with him.

Jongin whips out his phone and ignores the several missed calls just as Kyungsoo is telling the driver the address they need to be at, and as the taxi pulls out into the river of traffic Jongin is struck by how incredibly grateful he is to have fallen in love with someone as cool headed and well organised as Kyungsoo.

He’ll always sort things out in the end.

***

Jongin’s heart thuds.

Kyungsoo is walking briskly beside him, having told the taxi driver to wait outside for them as they’ll only be a few minutes.

Jongin wrings his hands nervously until Kyungsoo grabs one and curls it in his own, giving it a light squeeze. Jongin smiles shakily and tries to clear his mind. Ideally, he would have a lot more time and a much more relaxed situation to spring this news, but alas that is not the case.

They have five minutes until the conference is starting and Jongin is well aware the eyes of the world are not going to look down upon him favourably for being late to an occasion as important as this. To hell with it, Jongin thinks. He’s learned over the past few months that family and friends are far more important than some faceless investor, and Jongin wants to try his best to do this right.

The lights are dimmed in the reception area before Jongin’s father’s office, and Kyungsoo has brief flashbacks to the first time he walked into here and half expects Ryeowook to be smiling warmly at him and Yuri at her desk encouraging him on. He smiles at the memory and marvels over everything that has happened between then and now.

The office door is approaching at an alarming rate and Jongin stops several feet before it. Kyungsoo halts too, their hands intertwined. Jongin in a lungful of air and puffs it out slowly, psyching himself up. It’s only his father. It’s looking likely that Jongin won’t even be able to stay behind long enough to hear his reaction anyway, so there is little pressure.

“I don’t think I should come in there with you.” Kyungsoo says, shoe scuffing the ground. “It should be between you and your dad. I’ll wait here though. You can always leave the door open if you need me.”

Jongin nods and bends down, cupping Kyungsoo’s jaw tenderly. He presses a light kiss on his lips and leans their foreheads together, whispering a quiet “Thank you,” his cool breath tickling across Kyungsoo’s face. Jongin pulls back and squares his shoulders, before walking towards the door and knocking a couple of times.

Kyungsoo feels an odd squirm in his stomach when he hears a confused “Come in!” from inside the office, and he sits himself down when Jongin’s dark head has disappeared through the doorway.

 

 

“Jongin?” Heechul says, eyebrows furrowed. His son was supposed to be at the conference tonight, and if he isn’t there by now he must surely be late.

Jongin is trembling slightly, his hands twisting nervously and a flush climbing up his cheeks. “Hi dad.” He says meekly, shuffling forwards. He pushes the door to behind him, but doesn’t fully shut it.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the business conference? It’s a really important event Jongin, you’re being announced as CEO tonight you should be—“

“Dad, please. I know. It’s just that I have something really important to say and I- I wanted you to be the first to know.”

Jongin is absolutely petrified. He has no idea why he’s shaking so much but he can’t stop. He flicks through images of a smiling Kyungsoo in his mind and a slight smile is brought to his face. His father is looking at him expectantly and Jongin gulps. You can do it, Jongin.

Jongin pulls himself upright and sets his jaw. “Dad, I’m gay.”

Heechul’s jaw drops so fast Jongin is surprised it doesn’t crack the tabletop. Jongin falters a little but keeps his chin high. “I’m dating Kyungsoo. As in, matchmaker Kyungsoo. I daresay I’m in love with him. We had our ups and downs, thanks to the whole Jihae engagement thing, but we’ve straightened things out between us now and honestly we’re really happy. He’s moving in with me soon. He won’t affect me running the business, but I’m announcing it to the world press tonight. I just wanted you to be the first to know.”

The lack of response from Heechul makes Jongin’s words tail off. He was babbling anyway.

Heechul is opening and closing his mouth repeatedly and he closely resembles a dying fish. In the end he just lets his jaw hang open and settles for staring at Jongin like he’s just grown three heads.

Jongin’s face is burning by now and there is a knot tightening itself in his stomach. His heart his thudding and the rush of blood to his head leaves him slightly delirious and unsure of whether to cry or not.

Once his head stops spinning, Jongin glances at the time and figures he really needs to go. Heechul still hasn’t moved, his jaw is still hanging agape and his eyes are fixed intently on a spot on the table. 

“I-I’m sorry.” Jongin stutters as he backs away. He wishes he had time to sit and talk this through with his father but he really cannot be any later or the company is likely to lose all current investors and it certainly won’t be gaining any more anytime soon. He darts out the door and grabs Kyungsoo’s hand, who is by now standing near the reception desk and looking anxiously at his watch.

Jongin has no idea if Kyungsoo eavesdropped on the conversation but the elder doesn’t make any comment as they hurry down to the taxi still idling on the curb outside.

***

Jongin is shaken during the taxi ride. He’s starting to wonder if maybe no response from his father was in fact worse than getting a bad one.

He works through the different scenarios in his head that could have played out had he had time to stay. Some are relatively positive, but others are less so and they make Jongin shudder a little. It burns inside somehow, the rejection. His father had plenty of time to say something—anything, even simple ‘I still love you, son’ like they always say in the movies would have been nice. Nothing came though, and Jongin’s mind is running wild with thoughts of being disowned and maybe not even being allowed to 

Kyungsoo observes him nervously from the sidelines. He’s unsure whether to ask about what had happened or whether to leave it and let Jongin talk in his own time. He’s got a whole speech to say and he perhaps doesn’t want reminding of what has happened before.

It is strange that Jongin isn’t saying a word, and Kyungsoo always panics when he retreats into his shell. He decides to break the stillness in the cab by reaching across to straighten Jongin’s tie and check his cufflinks are firmly in place.

Jongin smiles softly as Kyungsoo fusses, turning slightly to give him better access to prod around.

 

They instruct the taxi driver to pull up by a side entrance to the large conference hall where the announcement will be made.

They throw him all the money he is owed as they step out, plus a few notes extra in thanks for him waiting around for them.

Sehun is hovering nervously by the doorway, having been waiting for them since Jongin texted saying they were on their way. “Where were you? I swear I’ve been—“

Jongin cuts him off with a waved hand and a pained look. “It doesn’t matter.”

Sehun looks briefly at Kyungsoo who shrugs and mouths ‘Dad’ to him. A brief look of concerned understanding crosses Sehun’s face as he chivvies them inside, but he drops the subject as he points Jongin in the direction of a small room set out for him to have some last preparations in.

“They’re not too rowdy yet, I think you’re in luck. They’re being well fed so I don’t think it’ll matter that you’re,” Sehun glances at the time and winces “half an hour late.”  Sehun gives Jongin a reassuring pat on the back and a mock salute before darting inside the function room, leaving Kyungsoo and Jongin alone in the hallway with nothing but the sound of their breathing and the muffled voices from the people at the function.

“Got your speech?” Kyungsoo says.

Jongin taps his left pocket, feeling the heavy clump of paper. “All set.”

Kyungsoo steps forward and hugs Jongin as tightly as he can, nuzzling his lips behind his ear. “I didn’t listen to what happened with your dad, but if it went wrong, he’ll come round. I promise. It might take him time, but he will. People are a lot more accepting nowadays anyway, so the golden oldies in there aren’t likely to be a problem either.” Kyungsoo jabs a thumb over his shoulder, indicating the conference room. Jongin smiles a little at that.

“Kyungsoo, please, those golden oldies are my future investors.” Jongin whines playfully.

Kyungsoo smacks him fondly then smoothes his hands over the lapels of Jongin’s jacket, making sure it’s crease free. He hops up once to kiss him sweetly, before he’s pushing Jongin into the side room, a quiet “Hwaiting, I love you,” on his lips.

Just as the door clicks shut behind Jongin, another one behind Kyungsoo opens. He turns to find a very beautiful woman in a crimson dress looking at him with recognition on her face. She hurries towards him, her black hair glossily swaying behind her as she spins from shutting the door.

“You must be Kyungsoo!” She says excitedly, tottering to stand before him.

“Um... yes, that’s me.” Kyungsoo says, nervously pointing at himself.

“Oh gosh, I’m so stupid, I should have introduced myself. I’m Moon Jihae.” The girl says, holding out a hand which Kyungsoo shakes with a smile on his face. It would be logical for him to have some animosity towards the girl, seeing as she was briefly engaged to his boyfriend, but Kyungsoo already knows about what Jihae did to help save their relationship—all possibly at the cost of her own romance. He can’t find anything in his body that could possibly hate her, and he is struck with the thought that he would really like to be friends with her.

“No, no I should have recognised you!” He smiles back. Kyungsoo realises that this is probably his chance to thank her in person for everything she’s done. He hopes she doesn’t think he hates her, and now is his time to reassure her he doesn’t. Far from it. His face goes serious for a moment. “Jongin... Jongin explained everything you did to get him back to me after the—whole picture issue, so thank you for that. I went out and got really drunk and put myself in a stupid position. If Jongin hadn’t been back I—I don’t know what would have happened. So thank you.”

Jihae shakes her head fondly. “Honestly it was nothing.” She looks sad for a minute. “I knew there was a chance that Jongin would be able to win you back and you could be together, and be happy. No matter what happens I don’t think that will be a possibility for me.” She shakes her head suddenly, a bright smile lighting up her pretty face. “Let’s stop talking about the bad bits, hey? Jongin’s already told me so much about you, but I want to hear it from the famous man himself!” She laughs and Kyungsoo groans.

“He’s probably been telling you all sorts of cheesy awful things, hasn’t he?”

Jihae tips her head back and gives what can only be described as an ahjumma laugh, and Kyungsoo decides he likes this girl more and more by the minute. “You know Jongin don’t you. But hey, I’ve known him in his childhood days and his emo teenage years, so I’ve got plenty of blackmail material to pass on to you so you can have your revenge!” She grins evilly.

“Jongin was an emo teenager?” Kyungsoo asks, face lighting up in amusement.

Jihae taps the edge of her nose conspiratorially. “Oh, he was an emo kid alright, and I have the pictures to prove it. Come on, we’d best get into the conference hall before the lecture starts, we’ll have some time to discuss the world wonder that is Kim Jongin...”

Kyungsoo chuckles as he follows her into the function room. Emo Jongin eh? That’s something he never thought he’d see.

***

It turns out that standing beside Jihae for the conference was probably a good idea. Kyungsoo watches on proudly as Jongin lists all sorts of facts and figures about the company and points at many multicoloured graphs, but he honestly has no idea what any of this is about.

Shares?

Stock market?

Investments?

Merging?

Jihae however has a very firm grasp of the matter and manages to subtly explain everything to Kyungsoo without him looking like too much of an idiot.

He learns Jihae has an exceptionally rude sense of humour, and he has a hard time keeping his face straight with all her inappropriate side comments about the size of Jongin’s graph.

She makes the whole experience a lot more entertaining, certainly, and Kyungsoo can’t wait to see her take over her father’s company, because the business world is going to be in for a shock when Jihae walks in ‘in a bright pink and orange catsuit, Kyungsoo, it’ll be brilliant, I’ll be like the Korean business district version of Nicki Minaj’.

Even if Kyungsoo has no real understanding of all the facts and figures and numbers, he can tell by the reaction of the crowds that whatever Jongin is saying sounds good. Podgy men with large ring bound notebooks all nod approvingly on many occasions and take down notes, and Kyungsoo’s chest swells with pride when he overhears a couple talking about how well presented and well organised the new CEO is.

Jongin gets a big round of applause at the end of his presentation, and his face is flushed with a shy smile as he takes a couple of bows. Kyungsoo and Jihae are sure to clap the loudest, and Jongin grins when he catches Kyungsoo’s eyes. He’s proud of himself, Kyungsoo can tell, and so he should be.

People settle down again once Jongin opens the floor for questions. There are a few here and there that focus on the business side of things until at last, a tiny journalist at the front pops up and asks the question Kyungsoo has been dreading. “Mr Kim, is it true that you are engaged?”

The question piques the attention of many of the reporters who all hurry to ensure their Dictaphones are recording. Jongin visibly gulps, and suddenly the sea of red recording camera lights seem overly daunting.

Kyungsoo meets his gaze and nods fractionally.

“No. No those rumours are not true.” Jongin says. Muttering erupts all over the crowd, and people look at him confusedly. A few people spy Jihae at the back and eye her casually, but she merely rolls her eyes and diverts their attention back to Jongin with the flick of a wrist.

“But Mr Kim, we have all seen pictures of—“

“I’m not engaged. I am, however, in a relationship.” The crowd falls silent. Jongin’s voice does not crack or waver as he speaks calmly. “I am in a relationship with Do Kyungsoo.”

The crowd begins muttering again, and Kyungsoo picks up smatterings of conversation, slight whispers of ‘Kyungsoo? I thought that was a guy’s name.’ And ‘Do Kyungsoo as in matchmaker?’

“Yes, I am dating Do Kyungsoo, yes he is better known as the Millionaire Matchmaker, yes he is male, and... yes, I’m gay.” Jongin blurts slightly exasperatedly. He catches Kyungsoo’s eyes again and they are both blushing, but both wear twin grins on their faces.

The crowd follows his line of gaze and stares silently at Kyungsoo at the back of the room. Without a second’s hesitation, they all lift their cameras and begin snapping photographs of him, waving microphones about and yelling questions at him.

Jongin face palms from where he stands on the podium and gestures lazily for the security teams to hold back the swarm. Kyungsoo doesn’t need this.

A weedy looking bespectacled boy looks up anxiously at Jongin whilst the other reporters are fumbling to get an answer from Kyungsoo. “Um... Mr Kim? I’m from LGBT weekly... I was wondering if m-maybe you w-would be inter-interested in having an interview with me for next week’s issue?” the boy stutters out, looking terrified.

Jongin observes the boy and how polite he is compared to the others. He’d already promised himself not to go into too much detail about his private life, but he figures that maybe just one interview with this trainee youngster might be acceptable. He smiles down at the nervous boy.

“I’ll have to clear it with Kyungsoo first, but I’d love to.”

The poor boy nearly passes out and Jongin chuckles. At least one person is supportive, and he’s clearly gained a new fan.

***

“Soo, come on, dance with me!” Kyungsoo hears from over his shoulder somewhere. The ball has continued late into the night, and Jongin is looking far more relaxed than he did at the start, with his cufflinks undone and his tie loosened slightly.

Kyungsoo and Jihae sit talking in the corner for most of the time; neither of them have a knack for dance, both are far better in the singing department.

“But I don’t want to leave Jihae on her own, Jongin.” Kyungsoo protests mildly. His heart aches thinking about Jihae’s situation, and leaving her alone so he can trot off into the sunset doesn’t sound too appealing, especially after she practically saved their relationship and Kyungsoo’s sanity.

Jihae waves him off, however. “Go.” She says with a soft smile on her face. “I’ll be fine.”

“Jihae are you—“

“Kyungsoo, happy endings only happen to a lucky few. You are one of the lucky ones, now go and enjoy yours. You can have your fairytale, I might not be so lucky. So go, have fun, if you’re lucky enough to get that happy ending, make the most of it. Don’t make us unlucky ones more jealous by not using what you’ve got. I should get home now anyway.” She smiles an odd smile, a mixture of happiness for Kyungsoo but also sadness in her own situation.

Kyungsoo hesitates, but the stern look on her face makes him smile anyway. As he weaves through the crowds towards Jongin, Kyungsoo quietly hopes that Jihae will get her happy ending too, because she really deserves it.

Jongin’s arms find him soon enough, and Kyungsoo turns to face him, wrapping his own arms around Jongin’s neck. “Well done,” he whispers quietly as Jongin knocks their foreheads together “I’m very proud.”

Jongin chuckles softly, blowing a gust of air across Kyungsoo’s face. “I think we got some new investors, or at least I hope we did, considering I lost about four gallons of water in sweat up on that stage.”

“Ewwww.” Kyungsoo moans, making Jongin laugh again. There are other couples on the dance floor too, all gently swaying to the soft band music in the background. Many smile warmly when they see Kyungsoo and Jongin dancing together, and Kyungsoo starts to believe that maybe people will be more accepting than first feared.

They slip into comfortable silence, just enjoying the feelings of relief and peacefulness as they sway in each other’s arms. Jongin bends down to steal a few soft kisses from Kyungsoo on occasions, making the smaller blush and protest meekly.

Jongin opens his eyes after one kiss and says “Soo.”

Kyungsoo follows suit and looks up at him with a gentle “Hm?”

Jongin flushes like he’s nervous to say something so Kyungsoo puts on his most reassuring smile. “I- I think—there’s one more person we haven’t told yet and... I’d really like it if you’d come with me?”

***

The night air is bitter and Kyungsoo and Jongin’s breath clouds before them as they walk down a lightly gravelled path.

As ever the moon and stars are shining resiliently above Seoul, refusing to be drowned out completely by the light pollution.

Jongin has a clutch of small white flowers in his right hand, and his left is entwined with Kyungsoo’s as they trudge down the pathway as it curves and twists down a gentle slope. They’re almost on a hill, and it gives a pretty view of the city spread out before them. It’s a peaceful place.

Jongin knows where he is going like the back of his own hand so Kyungsoo settles to just follow him in the calm silence. Jongin pulls Kyungsoo off to the right for a second, and then he stops.

“Hi mum.” He says, stepping forwards and placing the bunch of flowers on the grass before a beautiful marble headstone. Its whiteness shines in the moonlight, and Kyungsoo is really trying his best not to cry.

Kim Hyorin

Beloved wife, mother, sister and friend.

Kyungsoo reads the headstone and his eyes trace over the picture of the woman there. She is stunning, and Kyungsoo can tell that she must be where Jongin got his beautiful skin colour from.

“Mum I... I have something to tell you.” Jongin says quietly, a single tear slipping down his face. Kyungsoo bites down hard on his lip and holds himself together. He stands back slightly, figuring that Jongin will tell him when he wants him there.

“I like boys mum. I’m gay. I- I think you knew that already, if I’m honest, but I still wanted to tell you. Especially now because I’ve taken over from dad as CEO and I’ve got a boyfriend.” The tears are tumbling fast down Jongin’s face now and Kyungsoo nearly sobs.

“I don’t know what dad thinks though. I told him earlier but he didn’t say anything, and I had to leave because I would have been late and I know you always hated it when I was late for important things. I wish you could talk to him, because I know you would have talked him round. I know you would love Kyungsoo. That’s my boyfriend’s name. He’s--” Jongin turns around and beckons Kyungsoo forward.

When Kyungsoo is close enough, he fits their hands together and pulls him next to him. “Mum, this is Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo this is my—“a first sob rips through Jongin’s chest and his head falls. Tears tumble down his face without stopping but he manages to stutter out “This is my mummy.” Before Kyungsoo pulls him into his arms and just hugs him as hard as he can, his hands smoothing down his back.

Kyungsoo is crying as well, his tears dampening a patch on Jongin’s shirt where his face is buried. Kyungsoo’s never really been an emotional person but seeing Jongin in this state breaks his heart to the extent that he can’t keep it in.

After a few minutes of tightened arms and soothing words, Jongin eventually calms down to the few odd tears and hitching breaths. He and Kyungsoo sit down next to his mother’s grave, with Kyungsoo’s cheek on Jongin’s shoulder and Jongin’s head atop his. Kyungsoo occasionally sits up to wipe away the tear stains with his jumper, but aside from that they sit still and quiet.

“I miss her.” Jongin whispers, looking up towards the stars. “I used to come down here nearly every night after she died and just sob my eyes out. I woke up one morning to find that there’d been a search party out for me the night before because I’d stayed here over night by her side. I miss her.  I think it’s because no matter what I did, mum would always tell me she loved me no matter what. Sure, she’d get mad at me and we scream and argue but we’d always calm down in the end and everything would be ok. It’s not that dad never told me he loved me or whatever, it’s just that he was always so busy so he never really had time to be full of hugs and contact. I don’t hold it against him at all; it’s just that I miss having that sometimes, the motherly feeling, even if Joohyun still does a brilliant job of looking after me.”

Kyungsoo smiles and leans into Jongin’s side. “She’s proud of you.  Wherever she is, be it up there in the sky or not, she’s proud of you.”

Jongin smiles in return and gazes out over Seoul. “I’d like to think so. She’d like you, you know. She’d think you were good looking, definitely and... and you’ve always  looked after me. And you make me ridiculously happy. That’s all she’d want, a girl, a boy, hell even a tree, if they could make me happy that’s all she’d ever ask for. I just have to hope my dad’ll come round to the whole thing.”

“He will. Like you said, he loves you, even if he doesn’t show it.” Kyungsoo leans forwards and kisses Jongin, just on the side of his mouth. “I love you.”

“Love you too, Soo.”

The small silence after that is broken by the sound of crunching feet over the pathway again. Jongin turns and looks over his shoulder, before jumping up like he’s been burned.

“D-dad?” He says, and when Kyungsoo turns around, sure enough, Heechul is making his way towards them.

“I thought I’d find you here.” He says as he walks up to them. Jongin slips his hand into Kyungsoo’s and holds tight to stop himself shaking.

“We... I came to introduce Soo to mum.” Jongin says timidly, face red and tear marks still evident on his cheeks.

Heechul lets out a soft huff of breath, and when Kyungsoo looks up he finds he is smiling.

“Come here.” He says suddenly, before pulling Jongin into a hug. Jongin is frozen for a moment before wrapping his arms tightly round his father and letting the tears drop again. “You’re so silly sometimes, Nini.” His father says as he pulls away to look is son in the eye.

They are so alike, yet so different, but the look in Heechul’s eyes is as clear as day to see. It’s an expression of love. He holds Jongin in his right arm and looks at Kyungsoo, with a glisten in his eyes. “You too.”

Before Kyungsoo knows it, both he and Jongin are wrapped in Heechul’s arms, and all three of them have wet eyes again. Heechul manages to steer them around to sit down beside Hyorin’s grave again, and he never takes his arm from either of their shoulders.

“I’m sorry I didn’t say anything earlier when you told me. If I’m honest, I was just shocked. I didn’t think you’d be announcing something like that just before the CEO announcement and I just—I should have said something. Honestly Jongin, I’m very very happy for you, and if I’m honest,” He looks down fondly at Kyungsoo, squeezing his shoulders tightly, “I’m glad that it’s Kyungsoo. I was starting to miss you already, so it’s great you’re part of the family now.” The three of them chuckle lightly.

“Your mother knew. She knew when you were very small, that you might not like girls the way other little boys did. I didn’t believe her at first, and I never really did, but I’d long accepted that it was a normal thing. I might be a crusty old man, but I’m not stupid enough to not accept love, whatever form it comes in. I know it might not seem like I’ve been there for you enough when you were younger, Nini, but I want you to know that I always have been, and always will be. It doesn’t matter if you think I’m busy or whatever, just call me or come and see me. You’re my son and you’ll always be first in my life. If you weren’t, then I’m dreading the day I eventually pop my clogs because your mother is sure as hell not going to be happy with me if I turn up at the good ol’ Golden Gates without having looked after you.”

That raises a smile from Jongin, who briefly remembers how powerful his mother’s temper could be sometimes.

“I’m not the most observant of people as you might know, but even if I didn’t know you were gay, I knew you were in love. You’re not a difficult person to read Nini; you’re like your mother in that sense, both of you were very open books. No good at hiding your emotions, that’s for sure.”

“If you knew that, then why would you set up the whole engagement thing?” Jongin questions quietly.

Heechul laughs sheepishly and rubs the back of his neck. “I was sort of hoping you’d tell me who it was. I thought that maybe if I made you do that, you’d be forced to spit out who it was. Cruel, I know, and really not the best plan. I’m sorry for it, especially if it backfired and caused problems. I wasn’t expecting you to be so loyal to Jihae. I know there’s something going on with her love life too; her father’s been going on about it for months. He’s less accepting than me, that’s for certain.” He turns to Kyungsoo then. “I’m sorry for all of that Kyungsoo. I- I... I don’t really have a decent reason as to why I thought that would be a good idea. I hope it didn’t—“

“Heechul, it’s all in the past. I’m already pretty good friends with Jihae, we’ve bonded over a need to share embarrassing pictures of Jongin!” Kyungsoo cackles and Heechul joins in.

“Ooh, did she tell you about when he went through the emo phase and dyed his hair?”

“I have pictures of it!” Kyungsoo giggles. While his father and his boyfriend nearly roll around with laughter, Jongin simply sits and stares and feels the betrayal sinking in. It’s hard to give them both the evils though, as Jongin can’t seem to stop a grin forming on his face.

Once they sober up and wipe the tears of mirth from their eyes, Heechul sighs. “It’s getting cold out here. I don’t want either of you getting yourselves ill.”

Kyungsoo and Jongin both nod in agreement as they stand up to leave, and Jongin feels a fizz of contentment in his tummy.

“Where’s Jinri?” Kyungsoo asks suddenly. He’d heard that she was supposed to be at the announcement with Jongin’s father, but she was nowhere to be seen.

“Oh, she’s gone home already. She was the one that actually suggested you might be here.  Did we tell you we’re off on our first cruise tomorrow? She’s staying at mine tonight so—“

Heechul immediately regrets that comment as Jongin and Kyungsoo immediately give him lewd looks and start wolf whistling quietly.

“Oh hush, you two. You’re the ones that are living together.” Jongin and Kyungsoo smother their chuckles and lean into each other again.

“Nah, we’re just joking dad.” Jongin says fondly. “Mum would want you to move on and find someone else to be happy with. I bet you’ll have a good time, just no funny business in the cabin y’know?” Jongin teases and Heechul laughs.

“I couldn’t possibly rule it out—“

“Ew dad no! Gross!”

Heechul laughs loudly then, especially as Jongin leaps forward to cover Kyungsoo’s ‘innocent’ ears from hearing anything that might possibly scar him for life.

“Night, sweetheart.” Heechul says as he kisses his fingertips and places it on top of Hyorin’s headstone.

Jongin mirrors the action and Kyungsoo’s heart squeezes fondly as he walks with Jongin and Heechul back to where their cars are parked, the father with his arm on his sons shoulder and both with looks of fondness and joy on their faces.

Family love each other, no matter what. 

 

 

a/n: so this is the penultimate update :'( ngl got a bit emotional writing this 

i guess i could have put the epilogue on the end of this, but i kind of like where this chapter ends and i think it would have been too clumpy otherwise,

so i'll see you very soon for the epilogue, much love <3

(as ever all your subscribes, upvotes and comments are all amazing + very much appreciated you're all fab <3)

 

 

 

twitter

curiouscat