Someone Like You

Juncture

The bank Jaehwan works at is on the second floor of a building Wonsik passes everyday on his way to the subway. The bank isn't open at the time Wonsik normally passes, but Wonsik can tell how busy it is as he makes his first lap around the building.

 

He's too early for his appointment. He doesn't want to show up and have Jaehwan catch him while he's with another customer. Not that Jaehwan is one to lose his , but he doesn't want to make a scene like he did with Sanghyuk. Wonsik knows Jaehwan. He was the last one he spoke with when the official statement was released. They've been together through the very end. When Hongbin stopped returning phone calls and texts Jaehwan was always there to assure Wonsik everything was going to be alright.

 

Now he's late for his appointment. He's worried that Jaehwan has turned cold. Colder than he was the last time they met. Jaehwan never showed his serious side to the fans, but there were times he could be the coldest hyung of them all.

 

Not Taekwoon cold, but Jaehwan cold. Again, a side he never let fans see. It's not an immediate frost like Taekwoon, but more like that empty feeling you get when you realize you're colder than you thought you were. One of those, 'oh, it's not so bad in here,' thoughts followed by 'I can't feel my face'.

 

That cold that let's you think everything is fine and puts on a great act to make sure you're convinced. But Wonsik is used to said act. What Wonsik is afraid of, though, is that Jaehwan's act has improved.

 

Wonsik fiddles with his suit while he waits to be called into Jaehwan's office. He wonders if Jaehwan still has his suits tailored like he does.

 

“Mr-- Wonsik?” Wonsik hears the surprise in Jaehwan's voice. At first he's upset that the older man seems so put off by his appearance, but then he realizes that he used an alias to sign up for this appointment. He also realizes why the receptionist has been giving him funny looks since he checked in. He has no paperwork in hand, nothing that the e-mail confirmation said to bring. Even if he did want Jaehwan's financial advice he'd be out of luck.

 

“Nice suit.”

 

“Likewise.”

 

“You don't seem like you need financial advice. You look pretty well off to me, Sikkie.” Jaehwan offers Wonsik a cup of coffee which he gladly accepts. Jaehwan's hair is pushed back and kept much shorter than Jellyfish let him keep it. Wonsik wants to ask if the glasses are an act to make him look smarter, but he doesn't want to offend. It's sad how quickly things can change between people. Since when did Wonsik have to tip toe around Jaehwan?

 

About a year ago, he guesses.

 

“I'm doing okay. How are you?”

 

“Financially? Well, it's a little taboo to ask your accountant about his personal finances, Wonsik.” Typical Jaehwan fashion; cheeky jokes.

 

“I mean how are you in general, hyung.” Wonsik is used to confrontations by now.

 

“Oh, well in that case I'm good! Just moved into the new office not too long ago,” Jaehwan motions to the blank office and boxes laying around. “It's been a good year, our branch hit top five in the city, so we've been busy, busy, busy!”

 

Wonsik cringes at how rehearsed Jaehwan sounds.

 

“That's great, hyung.” He notices the way the corners of Jaehwan's mouth tug when he calls him hyung. So he tries again.

 

“Hyung,” Wonsik pulls the chair up close to Jaehwan's desk, “how are you doing, though.”

 

There's a small silence in the office. Wonsik is begging Jaehwan with his eyes to just be honest. It was so much easier dealing with an overly open Sanghyuk rather than a closed off Hongbin.

 

Jaehwan checks his watch, “Listen, the first meeting is only thirty minutes long. If you have something to say, you don't have much time to say it. You were ten minutes late, Sik-ah.” Wonsik sighs, colder than he remembers.

 

“Do you ever miss Taekwoon?” That's it, Wonsik, straight for the heart.

 

More silence. Jaehwan picks up the phone and punches in the extension to the front desk.

 

“Cancel the rest of my meetings for the day.”

 

~

 

Meetings are canceled and take out is ordered. They have to stay in Jaehwan's office so he can still answer e-mails, but he lets Wonsik close the blinds so the other people in the office can't see them. While the two wait for their food Jaehwan asks about Wonsik.

 

Wonsik tells him about his job and is glad to feel like he's actually connecting with an old friend again. Jaehwan tells him how he thinks editing is a great job and suits Wonsik's talents. He then tells Wonsik a little more about his position at the bank and how he's more of an independent accountant for the bank, explaining why he can cancel any meetings he had on a whim. If he doesn't accumulate business it's on his paycheck, the bank is merely a place to show face for his clients.

 

The two talk about the how Vixx has affected their lives. Jaehwan brings up moments that Wonsik forgot about, happy moments. For the first time, Wonsik feels like he's talking to someone that he can relate to. Sanghyuk has yet to start his career and Hongbin seems to be avoiding any form of growing up for as long as he can.

 

Food is delivered and with it a harder conversation topic.

 

I heard that he's settled down.” Jaehwan says into his food.

 

“I don't think so, hyung.” Wonsik wishes he had more information about Taekwoon, but his letters have been less than informative when it comes to what his quiet hyung has been up to. They're all retrospective, reflective.

 

The look on Jaehwan's face tells Wonsik he's waiting for more information as well. He wants to be told otherwise. He's waiting for Wonsik to tell him more about Taekwoon. Maybe it's his way of asking how the older boy is doing.

 

When Wonsik has nothing to offer Jaehwan gives him a sidelong look. “Why are you so shy?” Wonsik doesn't want to build Jaehwan's hopes, but he once again finds it hard to form words. “It's not like you to hold back, just tell me what you know.”

 

“I don't know anything, hyung.” Wonsik confesses.

 

“You have to know something, why else would you be here?” Jaehwan pushes.

 

“Honestly, nothing.”

 

Jaehwan's eyes are fixed on Wonsik. The younger man busies himself with empty take out containers, trying to ignore the stare. It's easier dealing with your peers, younger friends, but trying to fool a hyung is proving to be a little more difficult for Wonsik.

 

I heard that he's married now.”

 

“I doubt that's true, Jaehwan.”

 

“You don't know for sure?”

 

“No, but I highly doubt it.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I just doubt it.”

 

“Tell me what you know, Wonsik.” Jaehwan's voice is serious and it scares Wonsik. It reminds him of the last few months they were all together. When there were nothing but harsh and serious tones followed by raised voices.

 

“Hyung, I promise, I don't know anything.” Wonsik's voice cracks. He hopes it's enough to convince Jaehwan he really has no idea. For all he knows Taekwoon could have moved on, but why would such a letter come to him, then?

 

Jaehwan pounds a fist on his desk, trying to let frustration out on the desk rather than Wonsik. “Then why would you come here? Why ask about Taekwoonie?”

 

“I'm sorry.” Wonsik realizes he should have prepared a little more. He should have anticipated hostility, maybe not have jumped to such a sensitive topic. “I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited, I shouldn't have come here, I didn't mean to upset you.”

 

“I saw him.” Jaehwan interrupts Wonsik's apologies. “I searched for him and found him.”

 

“You...you visited him?” Why didn't Taekwoon mention this in his letter?

 

Jaehwan nods, “A few times, I couldn't stay away,” he laughs at his silly confession.

 

“Then...why--”

 

I had hoped that he'd see my face and be reminded that for me it isn't over.”

 

It makes no sense to Wonsik, then. The letter. Had Taekwoon sent Jaehwan away? Why?

 

“So what happened?”

 

Another laugh from Jaehwan. “I left before he saw me.”

 

“What!?” So Taekwoon had no idea. “Why then?”

 

“Like I said, I heard he's moved on, I didn't want to start anything, maybe tell him I'm sorry, that I was happy if he was happy. I mean, I wish nothing but the best for him.” Wonsik notices how Jaehwan keeps spinning a solid band around his ring finger.

 

“I wanted to say that I didn't think what Hongbin said was right. He was definitely not leader material. I would have never thought anyone else could lead besides Hakyeonie. I just thought maybe having Hongbin take a step away for a bit would have helped. Let him do his own thing, without Vixx for a while.”

 

Wonsik remembers what Taekwoon said about his lack of listening. “But Taekwoon didn't understand?” He asks, trying to put both sides together.

 

“He never gave me the chance to explain why I agreed with Hongbin. I think at that point, I didn't know what it was about for Hakyeon. I didn't know it was his leadership on the line. I thought it was our independence. I didn't know exactly what Hongbin was pushing for.”

 

“I don't think Hongbin knew what he was pushing for.”

 

“A break.”

 

“Well, he definitely got that.”

 

“In the end I don't think it was personal at all. I realize now that management had a lot to do with it. Taekwoon and Hakyeon were let in on things we didn't know and at the end Hongbin had his own whisper in his ear. Resentment was misguided. Misinterpreted. Exactly how Jellyfish wanted it.”

 

Wonsik nods, agreeing wholeheartedly. It's like Jaehwan is putting Wonsik's thoughts into words for him.

 

No worries, though. I would never trade Vixx for the world, it's memories made. Singing, winning awards, falling in love; who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

 

“You were in love, hyung?”

 

Jaehwan's laughs sound more like sobs, now. This time Jaehwan spins his chair to face the street view. Wonsik notices how dark his office is with the blinds closed from the rest of the floor.

 

Never mind. I'll find someone like him eventually, right?” Wonsik can hear the tears catching in Jaehwan's throat. “I just wanted that one last chance to see him again. To see how he's doing. Maybe ask him out to lunch. Tell him how much I miss him.”

 

“I know he misses you too, hyung. And that he's sorry.” He wants to tell Jaehwan about Taekwoon's apartment like he described in his letter, but another sob from Jaehwan stops him.

 

Don't forget me, not the me now, but how I was then, Sikkie, I beg.” Jaehwan's shift startles Wonsik, but he realizes he's being asked to leave. “Don't forget about how much fun we had as Vixx. It was a good time, right?”

 

“Of course, hyung.”

 

“I don't think I can be your accountant.”

 

Wonsik doesn't want to add to the pain by telling him he had no intentions on hiring Jaehwan as his accountant, so he takes Jaehwan's cue to leave.

 

 

I heard that you're settled down

...you're married now.

...Why are you so shy?

Ain't like you to hold back...

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited

but I couldn't stay away...

I had hoped that you'd see my face and be reminded

that for me, it isn't over.

Never mind I'll find someone like you

I wish nothing but the best for you too

Don't forget me, I beg...

...No worries...

They are memories made.

Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?”

 

Someone Like You”- Adele