chapter six

Two Wrists, Two Tattoos

Note: I've edited the last chapter and changed Kyungsoo's dorm into an apartment simply because of my lack of knowledge regarding dorms. Heh. Oops?
Also, sorry for the lack of updates. The last term has become far too stressful for me but now it's summer vacation and I hope to update more frequently this time!


Jongin arrives at the Park residence at around 8AM with Mrs. Park allowing him entrance almost immediately. Chanyeol is still asleep but that doesn’t stop Jongin from rapping his fingers insistently against the door to the older boy’s bedroom. “Yah! Wake up!”

It takes four minutes of consistent knocking and shouting before Chanyeol opens the door with a frown settled on his face. “What?”

Jongin puts on a smile and tilts his head innocently. “We have to get ready for our date with Kyungsoo.”

Chanyeol’s features fall into a half-hearted glare as he stares down at the other. “Jongin,” he calls out, in which Jongin’s reply is a simple hum of acknowledgement. “It’s eight in the morning.”

Jongin nods his head, a smile intact on his features. “Yes, it is.”

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. “Our date with Kyungsoo is at twelve noon.”

Jongin rolls his eyes and pushes through, in between the door frame and Chanyeol and into the other’s room, plopping himself onto the bed. “Yeah, I know.” He says, his voice muffled (but still understandable) by the mattress. Jongin turns around on his back, his elbows pushing against the mattress to bring himself up into a half-sitting position. “But we have to prepare because you messed up with your date.”

Chanyeol could only groan as Jongin urges him to prepare.


One and a half hour later, Chanyeol finds himself standing outside a flower shop, his hands in his pocket and his back to the store. He doesn’t understand how Jongin finds all of this necessary; isn’t a bouquet of flowers just overdoing it? Who’s Kyungsoo anyway? Baekhyun’s ex – that’s who he is.

Chanyeol!” Jongin calls and Chanyeol turns around to face an ecstatic Jongin. In his hand, he holds a bouquet of sunflowers, the plastic crumpling under the pressure of his grip. “Isn’t it beautiful? Do you think Kyungsoo will like it?”

Chanyeol lets his head hang, resisting the strong urge to roll his eyes. “Does it matter?”

Jongin’s grip on the bouquet tightens, an affronted look plastered on his face. “Of course, it does!” Jongin groans, and turns on his heel to pay the owner of the shop. A minute later, Jongin passes Chanyeol without a glance, murmuring out a, “Just because you don’t like romance doesn’t mean nobody does.”

Chanyeol is taken aback, his eyes blinking in confusion. His mind tries to make sense of Jongin’s words but before long, Jongin is too far away and Chanyeol pushes all thoughts to the back of his mind. He runs after Jongin and shouts, “Hey! Where are you going?”

Jongin doesn’t look back but shouts back with a firm voice, “We’re buying Kyungsoo chocolates.”


Jongin storms his way into the mall, his long legs taking long strides but he knows Chanyeol is much taller and it wouldn’t take him long to catch up. There’s anger boiling inside of Jongin and he just isn’t in the mood to talk to Chanyeol.

Of course! Of course, Chanyeol wouldn’t take him and his romantic notions seriously. What else did he expect, really? Years of being soulmate and Jongin has yet to receive any romantic affection from the other guy. He knows about those sayings that having your soulmate as your best friend is the best possible thing ever but Jongin doubts that the same can be said when your soulmate acts and treats you as his best friend.

Jongin is tired. He loves Chanyeol, really. It can’t be helped. They are soulmates after all. But that word – soulmates – seems to have lost its meaning between the two of them. Romance? That’s a word that Chanyeol would scoff at and dismiss immediately. He knows nothing of romance or romantic relationships.

A hand grabs Jongin’s wrist and the force pulls him to turn around to face the person he’d like to see the least. Jongin yanks his hand away and he closes his eyes as he utters a flat, “Don’t touch me.

Silence engulfs the two of them until Chanyeol stutters out a, “Are you – are you crying?”

Jongin looks up and sees the panicked look on his soulmate’s face. He angrily wipes the tears away and poses a question he knows would leave Chanyeol fumbling for words. “Yeah, I am. What are you going to do about it?”

“I – uh,” Chanyeol looks down on his feet, and glances back to take a peek at Jongin. He looks out of place, confused, lost. “I – I’m sorry, I’m bad at this. I don’t – I don’t really know how to handle – “

Jongin lets out a short laugh void of mirth. “See! You don’t even know how to comfort me!” Tears cloud Jongin’s vision again and he hates that he’s crying but it’s too much. He hates their situation too much. “Chanyeol, are we really soulmates?” Jongin’s voice cracks and he hates it but he’s too far gone – too emotional to be embarrassed anymore.

“O – of course, we are. We’ve known that since we were kids.” Chanyeol’s voice is soft, his eyes flicking in all directions, far too conscious about the glances the passing people are giving them. “What makes you doubt that, Jongin?”

Jongin’s shoulders tremble but he keeps his eyes fixated on Chanyeol’s face. “It doesn’t feel like we are.” Jongin wipes away his tears, his anger slowly receding only to be replaced by exhaustion. “You know how you treat me like, Chanyeol?” He doesn’t wait for an answer. “A best friend. Not a soulmate. Not a boyfriend. Not a romantic interest. Just a best friend – purely platonic.”

Chanyeol stays quiet for a while, his mouth agape as his eyes focused on Jongin’s tearful eyes. “I – I thought that was enough. I thought what we had was enough. I thought you were happy.”

Jongin lets out a sigh as he shakes his head with a pained laugh. “You thought wrong.” And with that, Jongin turns around and walks ahead, leaving Chanyeol dumbfounded and confused.


Chanyeol watches as Jongin goes through the variety of chocolates stacked in shelves right in front of them. He stands awkwardly behind him, eyes locked on Jongin’s back. He doesn’t know what to do. Everything’s different now. Everything he thought – everything he believed… is wrong. His heart falls every time his brain reminds him of the conversation that took place earlier. Jongin… isn’t happy. Chanyeol is content but… Jongin is not.

Chanyeol looks up to the ceiling and prays to some deity that might hear him – prays that things go back to how it used to soon. With an internal sigh, Chanyeol steps forward and lets his hand brush through the selection of chocolates. He grabs a pack of white chocolate and looks nervously at Jongin. “Do you think Kyungsoo would like this?”

Jongin turns and regards him for a couple of seconds, the blank stare unnerving Chanyeol enough to make him wish that he turn into a puddle then and there. “Kyungsoo doesn’t like white chocolate.” Jongin turns back to the shelf and finally grabs a pack harshly. “He prefers dark chocolate.” Chanyeol isn’t sure but he thinks he murmurs something about how it’s his fault why he has no idea because he messed up his date.

Chanyeol sighs and follows Jongin to the counter.


It’s a few minutes before twelve and Jongin and Chanyeol find their selves standing before a metal door. Chanyeol stands a few feet behind Jongin, his hands in his pocket, as he watches the other press a button with his free hand, signaling Kyungsoo of their presence. Jongin is facing the other way, the flowers and chocolates hidden behind his back in perfect view, but Chanyeol can feel the dark aura emanating from him, and Chanyeol can imagine the frown settled on his face right now.

It takes a few minutes before the door unlocks from the other side, and Chanyeol notices how Jongin’s posture and overall mood seem to change in a split second.

“Hey,” Kyungsoo greets with a grin, clad in a plain black t-shirt and shorts.

Jongin greets back with enthusiasm while Chanyeol only nods in acknowledgement. His eyes fall on Jongin again and wonders how he managed to change moods so suddenly.

Jongin presents his little gifts to Kyungsoo. “This is for you.” He hands the gifts to Kyungsoo, who is flustered, if the blush on his cheeks is anything to go by. “Chanyeol and I bought them for you.” Chanyeol knows the reason behind that statement: to make it seem as if Chanyeol is making an effort to make things better between him and Kyungsoo. However, Chanyeol can’t help but notice the spite lacing the way Jongin uttered his name.

Kyungsoo thanks Jongin with a warm smile and looks behind to thank Chanyeol as well. Chanyeol could only force a smile in return.

“Come on,” Kyungsoo beckons to them. “Let’s go to my apartment.”

Jongin follows Kyungsoo up the flight of stairs, engaging the other in small talk – all signs of anger and exhaustion completely gone. Chanyeol can’t help but wonder if Kyungsoo’s presence simply has that effect on Jongin despite having seen each other for a couple of times.

Or maybe… Jongin has always been good at hiding his feelings effortlessly.

Chanyeol sighs and tries to shake away the heavy weight settling on his stomach.


Author's Note: No joke, I almost cried while writing the angsty scenes in this chapter lmao. Anyway, tell me what you think of this chapter in the comments and I hope you enjoyed reading it. Look forward to the next chapters!