New School

A World That Isn't Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New School

"Noona! Do you know where my shoes are?"

It was 6:30 in the morning and rustling and rummaging could already be heard. I was lucky that our neighbors usually left for work by 6AM so that left the walls beyond ours undisturbed. With all the ruckus my younger brother was making, we would have surely gotten a knock on our door by now. 

"Have you checked under your bed?" I called back while finishing up the scrambled eggs I was making. Sliding the eggs onto two separate plates that were already filled with a few bacon slices and two pieces of toast, I also grabbed two glasses to fill. One with just water and the other with orange juice. 

"Breakfast is ready Kookie!" 

In a matter of seconds, loud footsteps could be heard running down the stairs. Sitting down, I found Jungkook literally sprinting over to his seat with his tie just hanging around his collar and his bookbag thrown on the ground by the table. Mentally facepalming myself, I watched as he began stuffing his face. 

"Thank you noona!" he made a cute smile before continuing.

This boy, is my younger brother, Jeon Jung Kook. He's only a year younger but sometimes I feel like he's twelve with the way he acts. Not in a bad way though, more so in a cute way. This apartment consists of only me and him. Why, you ask? Well, that's a long story. We lost our mother when I was 13 and my father disappeared when I was 14. Our family life was fine up until a point. We were middle class, my father and mother started a business together when I was young. Everything was fine, business was decent. It wasn't until we realized that my father had borrowed a large sum of money from a wealthy business owner in order to start the company that things started to go wrong. My parents were making money, but it wasn't enough to pay back the other man. Not to mention the scheming tactics that the wealthy business owner imposed on them, saying that they had agreed to an interest accumulation and that the money they owed was now three times as much. It eventually turned into threats and visits by the man's people, which led to constant arguments between my parents. Somewhere in the middle of it all, we found out my mother had been suffering from cancer. Everything went downhill from there. My mother passed, my father spiraled down and left us thinking he could run away from the debt, while I was left to fend for myself and my brother.

I despised wealthy people after that. Ruining my family, my life, everything I loved. They were scheming, selfish, and arrogant. They had no care in the world, they only wanted money and spent it on lavish things that aren't necessary just to show it off. To top it all off, they looked down on those who weren't as wealthy as them. They play games and manipulate those who are just trying to survive the path of life.

Yet, in order to live, I work under them. Ever since my father selfishly ran away, I took my brother and disappeared as well. I needed to in order to save us from the man who lent my father the money, who would've surely been after us as well. After we left our hometown, I somehow was able to find us a place to live and worked to save us money. Honestly, I had run into the kindness of an ahjumma that let us stay in one of the rooms of her home and worked at her quaint restaurant. She never pried about our background in the years that we stayed with her, nor did she turn us in to adoption services. I'm honestly thankful for her. She was like a grandmother we never had. 

Eventually we left though. We ended up in Seoul. I had applied for a scholarship at Bangtan High School, which was a private school for elite students. My brother had found out and insisted that he wanted to go to the same school as me as well.

The reason I applied was because of its r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter