Insecure

Insecure

Sanghyuk groaned as he watched their dance practice video for the fifteenth time. It wasn't right, he thought. This foot was supposed to point the other direction and his expression should be visible for the audience to feel the song. His arm should be jutting out a bit more and his head should turn along with his body.

 

Sanghyuk groaned again. All these mistakes were driving him crazy! He had tried again and again to pinpoint every little thing that he had done wrong on their last dance practice but no matter how hard he tried to correct it, it just didn't work.

 

It didn't help that he was getting so much criticism from their dance instructor. Some so-called "fans" even made comments about how stupid he looked and how he shouldn't even be in VIXX in the the first place. Some told him that he wasn't worth it; that he was just a waste of time and that he should just quit music.

 

It hurt him, really. As much as he tried not to let the comments get to him, he couldn't help it. He was human too, wasn't he? He was able to feel emotions and just because he was an idol doesn't mean that he's grown out of feeling anything. He wasn't a cold person. He wasn't even the slightest bit mean! But why were all these comments still going around when he knew that none of them were true? Why was he so affected by what they said about him? Why?

 

Sanghyuk sighed. It was too much--these hateful comments. There were times when it would haunt him all the way to his dreams. It would pop in his mind even when he was practicing. It was especially discouraging when he was singing. Why couldn't he be as good as Taekwoon or Jaehwan? Why couldn't he be good-looking like Hongbin or a great performer like Hakyeon? Why was he stuck as the maknae who was good at almost nothing?

 

Tears stung his eyes, threatening to fall down at any moment. He was aware that there were probably hundreds of Starlights that supported him wholeheartedly and want the best for him but he couldn't help but focus on the hate. Yeah, maybe it was pathetic and maybe even selfish that he spent his time worrying about the haters instead of his fans but what could he do? The bad always catches the eye first.

 

"Sanghyuk-ah," Sanghyuk jumped in surprise as he heard Hakyeon's voice. Hakyeon stood by the door, concern written all over his face.

 

"Oh, hi, hyung," Sanghyuk quickly looked away to wipe his tears, not wanting to look weak in front of the ever-cheerful leader. "Do you need something?"

 

"Are you okay?" Hakyeon rushed over to Sanghyuk's side, ignoring the question. "Why are you crying?"

 

"Crying, what, me? No, of course not! Definitely not me…," Sanghyuk hurriedly replied, laughing nervously. Hakyeon didn't believe him.

 

"Tell me, Sanghyuk-ah. What is it? Did any of the hyungs tease you again?" Hakyeon asked. He grabbed Sanghyuk's hands.

 

"No… no, hyung…,"

 

"Tell me," Hakyeon pleaded, voice coated with worry for the younger. "Please."

 

Then, Sanghyuk burst into tears. He didn't know why he was crying like this. Why was he being like this--in front of the leader too? Why was he showing weakness?

 

He glanced at Hakyeon and almost choked on his own spit. The look Hakyeon had, filled with concern and care for him, made him think that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to tell the leader his worries. It wasn't good to bottle it all up, after all.

 

And so he told Hakyeon. He told him about how insecure and hated he felt at that very moment. How he was self-conscious and how he thought--no, he knew that he'll never good enough for VIXX. He told him everything and Hakyeon sat there, listening, nodding along, and comforting him by just being there to listen to his never-ending rant.

 

"Sanghyuk-ah…," Hakyeon trailed off as Sanghyuk finished his rant with a loud sob. Sanghyuk thought that Hakyeon laugh at him, call him crazy, or tell him he was just being a baby. Maybe even slap him because he should know that there are worst things out there.

 

But to his surprise, Hakyeon pulled him in for a hug. He enveloped Sanghyuk's large frame and caressed his hair, whispering encouraging words that certainly left the younger in shock and in awe at how fast his hyung could make him feel better.

 

"Han Sanghyuk, you are an amazing person and don't let what a few people think get to you. There are hundreds--maybe millions of Starlights out there who support you with all their hearts and not to forget that there's always us. We're a family, Sanghyuk-ah. We'll be here for you. You're improving really fast and you surprise every time at how good you are at basically everything. You're more than enough for VIXX. Trust me, you're worth it."

 

"Hyung…," Sanghyuk sobbed. He was touched. To think that Hakyeon thought that he was worthy of being in VIXX--it made him feel loved. It made him feel secure. It made him want to get up and practice even harder because now he knew that his hyungs accept him and he didn't want to let them down. He didn't want to let Hakyeon down.

 

No. Definitely not Hakyeon.

 

Thanks for reading~! Comments are very much appreciated! ^^