Encounter

Contrast

There's a coffee shop downtown that Myungsoo visits every day after school. He likes the smell of freshly brewed coffee that always eases his mind from school-related stress. He enjoys the fact that its a five-minute walking distance from school to here. It buys him some time to enjoy the view of the streets and clear his mind.

It's another stressful day today and Myungsoo just wants to indulge himself in the bittersweet smell of coffee and have some quality time alone in his favourite seat in the corner the cafe whilst reading another romantic novel. There were just some people who got on his nerves during lunch time that he was pretty close to initiating a fist fight. Being the more sensible person, Myungsoo counted to 5 and heavily sighed. He told the bully to off and get a life instead of wrecking someone else's and Myungsoo walked away with a heavily-flooded mind. Some just have the nerves to belittle others for their own pleasure and it angers Myungsoo.

Myungsoo couldn't stand it when he saw one of the guys from his year getting bullied for being weak, thin and unmanly. Especially when they were disrupting the quietness of Myungsoo's corner. Myungsoo prefers being alone and hates it when someone interrupts him from his thoughts. With that said, the bully was within close range of where Myungsoo sat in his corner of the cafeteria and he could hear the tables banging and vulgar words spoken with smug and threat. He was clearly annoyed and tried to scoff it off. All he wanted was to eat in peace like every other day but today just had to be an exception. Having enough of the commotion, Myungsoo settled his utensils harshly and glared at the situation presented a few tables in front of his.

"Look at all these sweet delicious junk food." The bully smirked and pulled out some bags of chips from his jacket and swung it in front of his face, taunting him. The boy, clearly terrified, looked away with disgust. The bully had his face so close to the boy's face, it almost looks like they were kissing from Myungsoo's point of view. The bully ripped open the bag of chips, grabbed a handful of it and shoved it in his mouth, looking into the boy's eyes with sadistic intensity. "Look at me." The boy stubbornly keeps his attention away but was grabbed by the chin and harshly turned to view the bully slowly munching on the chips with a mischievous grin.

"Don't you want some?" The bully offered the bag of chips to him, jiggling it to show that there's enough for them to share. The boy was trembling underneath him and was so close to crying.

"Come on stick figure, I've got a whole bag full of your favourite food in this world! Look, I've got some pringles, jellies, fritters, fried chicken, there's a piece of pizza from last night I saved for you too!" He pulls out another plastic bag full of sugary and fat-inducing food from his back-pack and shows it off to him.

He laughs. "I almost forgot! There's a piece of cake in there as well, an early birthday gift for you. Lots of whip cream and icing, lots of chocolate mousse, chocolate ice-cream and cake, your favourite right? You should eat it now before it melts into a puddle!" The boy was tearing up, eyes red as well as his nose, his whole body shook and thats when Myungsoo got up from his table, horrified by the acts of a complete psychopath.

"Get a life, Howon."

Myungsoo's thoughts are occupied by the incident today and he can't calm down at all. He's furious about getting his lunch interrupted by some douche who can't keep his mind to himself. Sometimes Myungsoo thinks he's the only sane person in this world, content with just about everything. He sees other people blatantly struggling with all sorts of reasons and he thinks its ridiculous of others to justify their insecurities by misjudging others. He thinks its ridiculous to discriminate others for not meeting their expectations or general view of things. He hates that men have to be buff, easily trusted and prideful while women are thought to be sensitive, well-mannered, feminine and kind. Myungsoo doesn't like that. He hates these general views or stereotypes. You can't just categorise people with this or that. 

He hated the fact that the boy couldn't defend himself and he hated that the bully was  contented seeing the boy collapse in public just like that. A freaking psycho exists in my school, Myungsoo thinks. He wonders about the sanity of both. One thinks he's weak and insecure about his body and the other thinks he's got the power to play with the weak ones like he's god. Why do such people exist? Why can't they just live?

Myungsoo keeps pondering on those thoughts and doesn't notice his vanilla frappe and bill being served on his table. It's cozy, the coffee shop, and it offers some sense of security with all these red blankets lying around along with big fluffy cushions and several bookcases. Red items against white background. There are different sections in the coffee shop like the studying section, which is located somewhere at the back of shop where there's a view of a mini garden grown by the employees themselves as recreation. There's also the chatting section where people can just relax and talk amongst their friends and there's the reading section, Myungsoo's favourite. That's where he's currently at. 

His bag is lying across the bamboo floor and he's snuggled up on one of the big comfy cushions, surrounded by the book shelves. He just wants to drown in himself in the hundreds of books the shop has to offer. Myungsoo has read less than 1/4 of the books here because he's picky even though he loves reading. Myungsoo ends up ditching his thoughts and scans through the bookshelves aimlessly. He tries to find a book out of his comfort zone because why not. He eventually picks out a random book.

He goes back to black cushion and settles in comfortably and begins reading. His thoughts from earlier is all gone now, having spent an hour reading the book which astonished Myungsoo. He's deep in the plot and halfway through the book when someone spots Myungsoo. He comes over after getting his order and kneels down in front of him. Myungsoo barely notices anything, too focused on the current page. So the person ends up sitting there, watching Myungsoo's readable expressions as his eyes follow the words of the book. 

"Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone," he reads. Myungsoo is startled and nearly crashes into the bookshelves behind him when he hears someone read the title of the book on his hands out loud. He can feel his heart pounding against his chest from utter surprise. He looks up to face the voice of where it came from and it surprises Myungsoo even more.

It's the bully from lunch time.

Myungsoo thinks his heart is going to rip out of his chest. He begins to hold himself like a ball, trying to get as much space as possible between themselves and trying to shrink like he just wants to disappear and get away from this situation. His eyes are wide and he's alert.

Howon just looks over at his reaction and chuckles. He never thought someone could be so disorganized and clumsy as the guy in front of him. 

They've never talked before, having been classmates since middle school up until now. Myungsoo had always seemed like a ghost. He was quite and he never hung out with anyone. Howon never knew of his existence until last year when Howon hit him on the face during dodgeball and got him a black eye and a bloody nose. Howon was clearly stunned this afternoon when he found Myungsoo gripping his hand to stop whatever he was doing to his playmate. He was dumbfounded when Myungsoo told him to get a life and that he left afterwards. Myungsoo would never do anything as drastic as he'd done that afternoon.

Howon finds it cute; he saw the charismatic side of him today and now he sees this timid side of him. But he didn't like the fact that Myungsoo prevented him from having fun with his playmate. He forgot the fact that was the reason he even came over to Myungsoo. It was a coincidence that he found Myungsoo in the cafe they were in.

"You're not going to stop me again are you?" Howon asks him. Myungsoo is still in a daze. Hardly anyone ever talks to him nor does he even want to socialise with others. It's been too long since he's ever had an actual conversation so he's frightened right now, scared to say the wrong word. So he opts to nod at his question like he's mute after staring at him for quite some time. Gosh he just wanted some peace and quite after with dealing with all that stressfulness. He thinks all the Egyptian and Greek gods really hate him. He doesn't need to deal with more crap. Myungsoo has the book clutched in his hands like a death grip.

Howon just smiles, satisfied with the answer. "Good because if you involve yourself with me and my playmate, you understand there will be consequences right?" He's threatening Myungsoo and Myungsoo feels obliged to just yes no matter what the question is so he nods again. He doesn't want involvement in anything, that's just going to ruin his life forever. This is high school, everything is ruined during high school.

Howon gets up to grab his coffee and leaves a confused-and-surprised Myungsoo behind. Myungsoo is left to ponder on new thoughts now, seemingly forgetting his own frappe. He's still holding onto the book like he's holding onto his life with a thin white thread on the Grand Canyon. He might have made dents on the pages without meaning too

 


A/N: Hello~ I hope this first chapter wasn't a disappointment!! I didn't get it beta-ed so this is purely my writing! This will be my first and probably last author's note because I don't really like reading them unless they're important notes. Also please continue to look forward to the next chapter! Thank you~