Separation Anxieties - part 1

JoU one-shot collection

Description: With their inevitable separation drawing near, jo jung suk and IU contemplate on their own anxieties over their feelings for each other. Will they be able to overcome those fears and learn to face their feelings? 2-part story set on the yatblss finale press conference.


 

Jung Suk squinted his eyes to protect it from the flashing lights directed at him. Funny, he felt he should be okay with this amount of lighting. After all, he's a theatre actor. This is one of their vanities - seeing menacing lights flash before them. Only this time, he doesn't feel flattered by any of it at all- only threatened.

They were currently at the closing press conference of their series, and all the cast - together with the writer and PD - were lined up on stage, giving the greedy clickers their fill of shots.

Finally, the initial photo op was done and all of them took their designated seats. Sitting on his left was Ji Hoon with his 1000 watt smile permanently plastered on his face. That's the thing about idols; they always have a ready smile to give to whoever asks for it. Others might think that as an actor, he should be just as good, but truth is he at it. Maybe it's because an actor is usually so attuned to his own feelings, so his smile will vary depending on the mood he's in. Right now, the mood he's in is dread, so he cannot even begin to imagine how that could look on his face.

On his right is Jieun, looking just as lovely. Once again, an idol's will amazed him, for how can she look so radiant while he feels so broken inside? Is she really that good at hiding her feelings, or is it just a simple matter of her not feeling the same way he's feeling right now? He tore his gaze away from her and settled to fix it on a point below the stage, just before the first row of desks filled with laptops and recorders.

The PD and writer have finished saying their welcoming address and now, it was the turn for the senior actors to speak. Soon, he will have to say his greetings as well, and he wondered to himself if he would be able to do it without giving anything away. He made a shallow cough to clear his throat, and noticed from his peripheral view how Jieun straightened up in her seat when he did this which made him laugh a bitter laugh inside. At least she is still aware of him - even by this much - though thinking that only makes him feel like he's trying to hang on to even the slightest of hope when there is none.

And of course there won't be any. She's a pretty, talented, sweet young girl and obviously a lot of guys would be all over her. What then would his chances be? He doesn't have the looks nor the height, or even the youth to match up to these guys. For a while, he thought their time together could give him the advantage that he needed, but then that movie date issue she had brought him back to reality. Not that he believed any of it was real, but he realized that while she was the only one in his life right now, he was not the only man in hers. The thought made him jealous, but more than that, it made him feel helpless.

Jihoon nudged him by the elbow and handed him the microphone. He said his piece and then passed the mic to Jieun. Their fingers grazed each other and for a moment, he felt another pang of hope. But she just shyly nodded, smiled, and then once again turned her attention to the audience. He too tried to pass off a smile of his own, but the corners of his mouth kept on twitching so he decided to give up and resumed to staring at his previously chosen point.

Should he have done something about it? Should he have at least tried? Sometimes, he can't help but wonder, but every time he is slapped with their glaring and his insecurities get the better of him. Still, there was a point where he thought of giving it a try once the drama ends - once they're stripped off of their characters. But the nearer the final day of the shooting came, the farther she seemed to be from his reach. In the end, the only thing he was able to do was give her a cool goodbye.

The introductions were done and they've moved on to the Q & A. First few questions were directed to the senior actors, as it is the usual courtesy in these events. Soon, he will also be required to answer a few questions but he's not worried about it. He already knew by heart all the questions that would be directed at him - along with his answers. In a way it's like cheating, but that's how it's done. They will be given a list of approved questions beforehand to allow for a smooth running press conference. Of course, some media men will try to squeeze in some follow-up questions, so they will need to prepare for those as well.

"Jung suk-ssi, everyone's been raving about your amazing chemistry with IU despite your huge age difference. What are your thoughts on this?"

"Thank you for that. First, I was worried that my huge with IU would affect the success of our pairing. So we're really happy and thankful that our love line was very well received by the audience." Good job! He thought to himself, Just keep on answering objectively. Don't mind that empty feeling inside.

"But is there a chance for some of those on screen chemistry to spill out off-screen?"

A few snickers were heard from the crowd and he doesn't blame them. In fact, he let out a timid laugh himself, though his was not one of amusement but of sarcasm. Because how sarcastic was it that the veteran actor ended up being the one falling for the rookie actress? He shouldn't be called the prince of the musical world, but its laughingstock instead.

So how does he answer this question? Should he approach it like how he answered his previous "scandal" with Yoon Ji-complete denial? But back then, it was the truth, and now...well, it was a little more complicated. Of course he can lie, but for all the accolades about how good an actor he is, he was a terrible liar.

"I guess all I can say is that Junho will always love Soon Shin" That was probably good enough. He didn't lie, but didn't say the truth either. Now, it's just up to them to interpret whatever it is that he meant by it.

All of a sudden though, the flashing lights started again, as the cameramen suddenly went on a shooting rampage. The reporters, as well, started bombarding them with questions, most of which cannot be deciphered because of all the chaos. Did he make the wrong call in that last question? He tried to make out what the reporters were saying, but with all of them shouting at the same time, it was a difficult task. They sounded like they were calling out to someone though...it was...

IU.

He turned to his right and saw Jieun's head buried on Inna's shoulders. Soon, Tae Young, Geu Rin, Yoon Seo, and Ga Won came to huddle around her as well. Jieun was holding on to Inna. He couldn't tell her expression as her face was turned against him, but her back was trembling...

Was she crying?