Amerikano, The Cause of my Death

Searching for Baekhyun

Amerikano (C-5)

I hate coffee.

My nose cannot comprehend the smell of coffee. Did you know that drinking coffee can cause motion sickness? I never liked coffee or any of its variants. Cappuccino, frappucino, white mocha, chocolate mocha, white chocolate mocha, vanilla mocha, hazelnut macchiato, caramel macchiato served in hot or iced cold - commoner's coffee or that one that needed a grinder. I hate coffee – I loathe the smell, I cringe because of the taste. How can one enjoy a cup of coffee? Milk is better, whole, non-fat, chocolate milk, powdered, evaporated or even condensed but coffee? Coffee is just --- ugh.

Sigh.

But here I am in a coffee shop and about to order an Amerikano.

How ironic.

Chanyeol walks into the cashier to place his order, the barista manning the orders smiles at him and raises a thumbs up - already has an idea of what he's going to order. There’s still a girl in front of him that’s bugging the cashier because of the time she spends on deciding what to order.

"One tall Amerikano" the barista says "advance order for Chanyeol"

It's been more than 2 months - always the same every day. It’s always Amerikano even though Chanyeol hated and still hates coffee, he always order his Amerikano.

It started two months ago, Chanyeol is dragged by his little brother towards the newly opened café just two blocks away from their house. He insisted on not going but his 10 year old brother isn’t giving him any choice, what he wants, is what he gets. Chanyeol couldn’t afford to hear their mother going berserk on him for an hour just because Sehun cried. So after he lured Sehun into going to a theme park and then helplessly failed several times, he decided to just go with it but only once. He reminds himself to cover his nose when they enter the café because the smell of coffee? It’ll give him head ache.

In Chanyeol’s perspective, it’s destiny. Even though he hated and still hates coffee.

The shop has been pretty much full, the opening of a new café has gathered so much attention even from the nearby village. “Let’s just go home.” He whines but his little brother has insisted on going.

Chanyeol walks into the café, his big hands are wrapped around Sehun’s little ones. There weren’t any seats left but Sehun had wanted to buy a cake so as a patient older brother, he attended to Sehun’s needs. Buy the cake and exit.

In Chanyeol’s perspective, it’s really destiny. He is destined to be there. Even if he hated and still hates coffee.

Finally, Sehun had chosen a blueberry cheesecake and again, finally, the full ten minutes of torture in a dreaded place will end as he voiced out his order and as about to pay when Chanyeol heard the most beautiful voice.

In Chanyeol’s perspective, it’s really destiny. He is destined to be there. He’s destined to order. Even if he hated and still hates coffee.

“Do you want a coffee with your cake?”

As Chanyeol looked up, he knew it was destiny. He was destined to see him with his sparkly eyes, button nose, brown shiny hair, milky white skin and pinkish lips.

“A-a-ah” But he could not formulate a coherent response.

“A-a-h?” The barista has asked.

“A-a-a-ah”

“Amerikano? Wow, our Amerikano is impeccable. Great choice.”

Chanyeol could only nod as the barista flashed him a toothy smile. On the barista’s nametag, it read 
Byun Baekhyun.

After that fateful encounter, Chanyeol is back every day –same time, ordering the same drink all the time. Chanyeol is mesmerized - he remembers the feature - the moment - the voice. The memory is engraved forever in his heart.

He still hates coffee, he loathes the smell because it gives him headaches but because Chanyeol wants to see Byun Baekhyun, he always visit the cafe and order the same thing.

Today, Chanyeol is a little bit disappointed because Baekhyun isn’t the barista in charge. Did he change his day off? Did he change his shift? Oh My God, did he quit? Chanyeol squirms into his seat, will he wait? Will he leave? Will he ----

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?” A voice so familiar, Chanyeol wants to howl in happiness and delight.

“A-a-a-ah” He replies.

“I guess that means no.” As Baekhyun takes his seat just in front of Chanyeol. The taller guy really isn’t fully aware of what’s happening because what the hell is going on, Byun Baekhyun is in front him.

“I took a leave today, did I surprise you?”

“A-a-a-a”

“You’ve been here for two months, during my shift. And for the record, I knew you never liked coffee but thanks for ordering, it added up to our sales.” He chuckles and Chanyeol melts.

“A-a-a-a”

“So, is that your thing? The A-a-a-a-?”

“A-a-a-a-”

“Youre funny, I like you.” Baekhyun smiles at him. “Do you like me too?”

Chanyeol swears he doesn’t like coffee but he thanks the person who has discovered it because if it wasn’t for an Amerikano, he wouldn't meet Baekhyun.

“Don’t worry, when we go on dates. We won’t order Amerikano.”

 

The Cause of my Death, (U - 5)

In a world where darkness reigned, a little act of kindness can spark an endless ripple effect.
Chanyeol reigns supreme as the prince of a world called Pyrus where the only way to survive is to be evil because doing good gets you killed. Many have chosen to be killed than to embrace the darkness. Some has the luck to flee - to leave the planet and move to another one but the others have stayed and have forced to live with a heavy heart.

And on the prince’s 21st birthday, the King has ordered his men to search for a planet close to theirs so they will be able to conquer and gift it to the prince. One dark planet isn’t enough.

Luxos is a small planet whose residents are of pure soul. Little did they know, the once peaceful environment will experience a drastic change as the soldiers of Pyrus has focused their attention to the little bright planet.

Byun Baekhyun comes from a family of five - the eldest among the three children. They aren’t the richest but they aren’t poor. Baekhyun takes care of his family - because he loves them and even though he can’t see, he tries his best to be of help.

Will darkness be illuminated with a little light? or will the brightest light turn into the darkest soul?