Final

School 2015: Who Are You - Replacement

A miniscule beeping sound resonated throughout the dusty classroom. Eun byul made sure the video camera was carefully concealed behind the stack of chairs that hadn't been touched in decades before quickly leaving the room.

 

So Young. The name was poison on her tongue and a headache to her mind. Eun Byul was positive that she didn't exactly hate anyone in her life, but that was before she found out about her younger twin's bullies. Now, she was going to get her revenge.

Eun Byul's eyes darted around the hallways before she found So Young's back, staring daggers into her shoulder blades. As if on cue, the shorter girl slowly turned around like a carnival horse, their eyes meeting each other. If only looks could kill. The two glared at each other from across the hallway, the sounds of their schoolmates chattering around them unable to break their gaze.

So Young was the first one to break the spell. She slowly walked from heel to toe towards Eun Byul. A small smug was painted on her face, her arms crossed. Eun Bi's sister fought the urge to growl at the former Tongyeong student. 

"Eun Byul-ah," So Young cooed. She stopped directly in front of her, cocking her head. "You look so...angry. I assume you've heard about the plans I have for your sweet little sister?"

Ambush. That's what Eun Byul overheard So Young and her former classmates talk about on her new phone. The three of them would surprise Eun Bi together on her way home alone before making sure she was alone. They would give her a "warm welcome" and then finally release that video they filmed of her the day that she "died". Honestly, Eun Byul had no clue what they filmed of Eun Bi, but it was obvious that it couldn't be taken lightly. Her chest tightened to the point that it was painful. Eun Byul could kill the girl in front of her right now.

But that wasn't the plan.

"Are you sick?" So Young batted her eyelashes. "Cat got your tongue?"

So Young leaned in towards Eun Byul, taking a lock of hair between her fingers.

"Or am I talking to Eun Bi this time?"

Eun Byul grabbed So Young's wrist as fast as lightning, her grip on her skin so tight she was sure that it was going to bruise.

"Don't touch me." Eun Byul seethed. So Young's throat ran dry.

"L-Let go," So Young stuttered. She attempted to yank her arm back, but Eun Byul was stronger. "Let go!"

Giving So Young a smirk, Eun Byul let go of her wrist. Deep red marks found their home on So Young's skin, and she could only massage them with a pained face. 

"You little-"

"-Speak with me in room 1-3," Eun Byul commanded before pivoting on her heel, marching towards the abandoned classroom. So Young held onto her wrist, gaping at the abandoned classroom as thousands of possible scenarios popped up in her mind.

Eun Byul was the polar opposite of her cowardly twin sister. She was actually capable of physically hurting her, and So Young didn't need to be reminded of the phone incident.

"If you want to kill me because of this phone, imagine what I want to do to you." Eun Byul's cold words repeated themselves in So Young's mind as she shuddered, cold tingles running down her spine.

But then again, there were even more possibilities of what So Young could do to Eun Byul. She was just as angry at her as well. Hell, she even stomped on her expensive Samsung phone. Eun Byul was Eun Bi's flesh and blood- it was like doing the exact same actions to eun Bi, except her personality was different. If Eun Byul didn't exist, Eun Bi would have been dead and So Young wouldn't even be in this mess.

"1-3!" Eun Byul barked loudly from the classroom. So Young immediately jumped onto the balls of her feet, quickly scampering towards the room. So Young slammed the door behind her, failing to hear the 'click'.

She looked around the classroom, observing it's poorly-kept state. All the chairs were stacked, nearly every surface was incredibly dusty, and the clock was unmoving, the time frozen at eight o' clock. There was a single dehydrated flower lying on one of the desks.

"D-Did somebody die here?" So Young quietly asked, her eyes not elaving the flower. Eun Byul slwoly followed So Young's gaze, her eyes falling on the sad white rose.

Ignoring her question, Eun Byul spoke harshly to So Young as they both stared at the flower. 

"Do it to me."

"What?" So Young's head turned towards Eun Byul, her eyes scrunched in confusion.

"Leave Eun Bi alone." Eun Byul hashly spoke. "All her life, she's done nothing wrong. All because she stood up for someone-" Eun Byul paused, her voice almost cracking. She took a deep breath before speaking again. "All because she stood up for someone being bullied, she was bullied in return. She saved a life and was punished by nearly losing hers." Eun Byul's hands formed into fists, her nails digging into her palms as crescent marks formed on her skin.

"And despite the she's been through because of you, she still puts on a smile for her brothers and sisters at the Love House. My sister must have been so happy when she first lived here with no memory. She had a mom. Two best friends. Classmates who respected her. She even had two boys fighting for her behind her back." 

Eun Byul let out a small smile. Her sister was quite the charmer. Eun Byul doesn't even have a single boy willing to walk her home- her attitude was too rude. She knew that she was too rough, bratty, and a . She barely even knows her sister and yet she already knows of her angel-like actions. Ever since Eun Byul returned, everyone has been comenting on the return of her rude attitude.

She sometimes considers if Eun Bi should just stay as Eun Byul.

"She doesn't deserve any of this."

So Young stayed quiet.

"But I do."

So Young's eyes widened. "W-what?" Her voice nearly cracked.

Eun Byul slowly walked up to the flower, her fingertips smoothly running across the desk as she gathered the dust, leaving clear streaks behind. She delicately picked up the dead flower, one of it's petals chipping off as she picked it up. 

"A student did die here." Eun Byul nearly whispered as her eyes studied the white rose. Beautiful and fragile- just like Eun Bi. "Do you want to know how?" She asked.

Eun Byul took So Young's silence as a yes.

"Because of me."

So Young jumped in her spot. Her eyes widened, and she began to back away from Eun Byul. Her back hit the door, and she cursed when she found that it was lcoked.

"I'm just as bad as you," Eun Byul admitted. "I'm a . I'm rude. I have everything in the world and yet it's not enough. I watched my former best friend get bullied to no end, and I didn't do anything as she reached her death. I don't like talking to those below me, and when I do I'm incredibly rude towards them."

Eun Byul dropped the flower on the ground, stepping over it as she sauntered towards So Young.

"But unlike you, I can let things go. So how about this: whatever you want to do to Eun Bi, do it to me instead. I'm stronger than she is and I sure as hell deserve it more."

So Young gulped. This was it. She was practivally invited to kill Eun Byul.

And she wasn't going to back down from the offer.

"You killed someone?" So Young scoffed as she regained her spunk. "You speak as if killing that girl gives you authority over me. Eun Bi never died- I'm not as heartless as you, you ."

Eun Byul smirked. "Go on, if you'd like. Just remember that you have to leave Eun Bi alone after this."

"Whatever," So Young spat. Froget about her. All what she ever did was stay quiet and tear up like some type of doll. But you, you get on my damn nerves and I want to tear you apart!"

The next thing Eun Byul knew, she was roughly knocked into a desk. The sharp corner met her back, a shout errupting from . Eun Byul could already feel the bruise forming.

She fell to the ground from the impact, and right when she was about to get up So Young prevented her from moving by stomping her foot onto her ribcage.

So Young glared as she dug her heel deeper into Eun Byul's torso.

"Do you still think you're so strong?" So Young hissed. Quickly, So Young replaced her foot with her knee as she hovered over Eun Byul's body, her hands tightly wrapped around like two hands holding onto a warm mug.

Eun Byul coughed, unable to speak as her airway was blocked.

"You thought you could scare me!" So Young yelled into Eun Byul's face, speckles of her spit flying onto her cheeks. Eun Byul flinched in disgust.

"You would've thought that I wished Eun Bi to be under my hands instead of you," So Young growled. "But instead, I think i'm even happier to have the permission to kill you instead!"

Thrashing beneath So Young, Eun Byul was fighting for air. Her hands were on So Young's fingers, desperately trying to pry them off but to no avail. Her lack of oxygen was causing Eun Byul to weaken, and black spots were beginning to block her vision. At last minute, Eun Byul reached up to harshly yank at So Young's straight hair.

"Ow!" So Young cried as she reached up to her hair. Her hands left Eun Byul's thraot, and as she did Eun Byul shoved her off of her chest.

Eun Byul hacked on the ground like a cat attempting to cough out a hairball. She gasped for air with her blue lips. Eun Byul desperately attempted to blink away the black spots, but So Young was already grabbing her roughly by the collar. The former Tongyeong student smached her across the face before throwing her into another desk. The force caused the desk to topple backwards, the loud noise echoing through the room like bats screeching in a cave.

Eun Byul winced at the stinging sensation on her cheeks. Her ribs still ached when So Young was on them, and the back of her head was the first to hit the desk that had fallen behind her.

But despite the pain, it was worth it. Eun Byul knew that she deserved every blow for every sin that she had commited, and as long as Eun Bi would be no longer harrassed, it was okay.

And if she played her cards right, So Young would be punished as well.

So Young kicked her hard in the side before ducking down to grab her hair near her scalp to slam Eun Byul's head onto the ground.

Eun Byul cursed. Her eyes teared at the blow, and she reached up to feel blood leaking from her temple. She glanced at So Young's clean white uniform before wiping her blood on her shirt.

So Young ignored Eun Byul's movements and continued to pull her by the hair.

"I'm doing you a favor," So Young hissed into her ear. "And it looks like you're doing me one too."

Eun Byul cried out when So Young slammed her head onto the ground again.

"This is so much fun," So Young gave Eun Byul a smile that made her revolt in disgust. "It's too bad that you weren't a student in Tongyeong, I'm sure my friends would have loved to beat you up as well."

Eun Byul growled. "Well I would have loved getting your friends in trouble as well."

"What?"

Eun Byul started to scream. She had to get somebody's attntion to the abandoned classroom as well in order for her plan to fully work. The twin used the method of grabbing So Young's hair again to get her off of her body. As soon as she was off, Eun Byul pushed the desks over, her ears ringing at the loud crashing sounds.

For a second, Eun Byul regrertted choosing the abandoned classroom as their stage.The door automatically locks when it is closed, leaving the two to fight in a cage like wild animals. But, if the doro wasn't locked, So Young would have ran off by now and Eun Byul wouldn't have any footage of So Young physically assaulting her.

"What the hell are you doing?!" So Young snapped as she massaged her scalp. She removed her hands from her head momentarily to push Eun Byul into one of the desks on the ground.

"!" Eun Byul yelled when the leg of one of the desks rammed into the side of her arm, deeply scratching her skin.

So Young was about to attack her again when somebody started pounding at the door.

"Who's in there?!" A voice yelled. Both of their eyes widened. Eun Byul immediately recognized it as their homeroom teacher.

"Teacher!" Eun Byul yelled out. She gasped sharply when So Young kicked her in the side again.

"Eun Byul?" 

Her eye's widened when she recognized Yi An's voice.

The two girls heard a key unlock the door, and So Young froze. She realized why Eun Byul was rubbing blood on her earlier- evidence. She realized why Eun Byul did her best to avoid hitting her, and when she did, it would only to pull her hair so that she wouldn't leave a mark.

Eun Byul wished that she could see what the two of them looked like from the Teacher's and Yi An's perspective. She was lying on the ground, blood all over her hands and running down her face with bruises forming on her neck, her breathing laboured. Meanwhile, So Young frozen like a deer caught in the headlights of a speeding car. There was blood all over her unfirom, her hands shaking uncontrollably.

"T-Teacher-" So Young stuttered.

"Come with me." The Teacher growled at So Young. 

She made no move, frozen to the core from being caught.

"Now!" He barked. So Young flinched, nodding her head as she quickly ran up to their teacher. He grabbed onto her forearm as he looked at Yi An.

"It's a good thing you heard noises coming from the classroom. Get Eun Byul to the nurse's office to get her checked up. Once she's done, make sure she goes to the office." He looked at Eun Byul on the ground, his eyes softening at the sight of her before turning towards So Young, his eyes growing cold. He should ahve kept an eye on her the instant he learned that she was possibly the cause of the suicide in Tongyeong.

"So Young. You're coming with me to the office for questioning." 

The girl merely nodded as she looked at her shoes, her face conflicted. "Y-Yes, teacher."

The two left the abandoend classroom, their footsteps echoing in the distance. Yi An and Eun Byul stared at each other before he quickly ran up to her, crouching beside her.

"What happened?!" Yi An asked, his hands frantically roaming around Eun Byul's body to check for her injuries. His eyes widened when he saw the newly formed bruises on her neck, and she winced when he gently pressed a finger on one of them. 

"Sorry," he quickly apologized. Eun Byul pushed Yi An off of her, his eyes widening in surprise at the sudden behavior. He sighed when he remembered Eun Byul's bold and rough actions. She wasn't like Eun Bi, who was gentle and fragile.

"Get off me," Eun Byul grumbled. "I can handle it myself." Despite her words, a voice in the back of Eun Byul's head said that she wanted Yi An to care for her. It's been so long since she's seen him, and having his body beside hers was honestly the most comforting feeling she's ever felt in a while. Eun Byul slowly got up, one hand pressed against her bleeding head wound that was beginning to clot and her other hand massaging her sore ribs.

She walked towards the door with the speed of a turtle. She paused at the door when she noticed Yi An was just standing behind her, his arms crossed. 

"Well?" She glared at him. "Are you going to help me?"

Yi An smiled despite the situation. "I thought you didn't want my help." He put his hands in his pockets, casually whistling. "Hmm. I wonder what they're serving for lunch today. I should go check it out."

"Han Yi An!" Eun Byul shouted. Her best friend chuckled, jogging lightly towards her as he placed an arm around her shoulders.

"Okay, okay. I'll come with you to the office, you can stop pouting now."

"I'm not pouting!" Eun Byul rose her voice. She paused when she remembered the camera. "Hold on."

Eun Byul slowly walked over to the camera that she hid earlier, taking it out of it's hiding spot before ending the recording. She opened the video camera, pressing play to watch the evidence. Yi An walked up behind her, gently placing a hand on her waist as he hovered over her shoulder to view the recording. Eun Byul's breath hitched when she noticed his close presence, but she forced herself to focus on the video.

"Eun Byul," Yi An whispered as he watched the recording. His eyebrows were furrowing when she was in the middle of her speech, his ears picking up the part where she said "she even has two boys fighting for her behind her back." When So Young finally broke and shoved Eun Byul for the first time, Yi An forced Eun Byul to close the camera.

"I don't want to watch it." He said coldly. Yi An stared at the camera, his hands forming into fists as he thought of Eun Byul getting hurt by So Young. 

Eun Byul stared at the camera. "I'm going to give it to our homeroom teacher as evidence for what happened. This will confirm that So Young was previously targeting Eun Bi, and she'll also be expelled for assaulting another student. That's why I didn't hit her back." 

"You'd win."

"What?" Eun Byul looked up at Yi An. The taller boy gently patted her head, careful to not put pressure on any of her wounds. 

"If you could hit her back, you would have won. You risked this all for Eun Bi. I still can't believe it, though. You told her to do whatever she wanted to do to Eun Bi to you, and look! She would have tried to choke Eun Bi." Yi An's voice trailed off as he imagined Eun Bi in Eun Byul's place.

Eun Byul looked down at the ground as she remembered So Young's words the other day. 

"Who does Yi An really like? Go Eun Byul, or Lee Eun Bi?"

When Eun Byul looked up to see Yi An's face still concentrated at the thought of Eun Bi, she sighed. Without saying a word, she walked out of the classroom at a comfortable speed, not even bothering to wait for Yi An. 

She'll just wait for him to go to her.