Final

Crush

    “Hey, Earth to ____?” Yena was waving her hand in front of your face.

    “What?” You snapped out of your trance.

    “You were starting to drool, thought I would stop you before he saw.” She shrugged. As your best friend it was her job to stop you from looking like an idiot in front of your crush. She had saved you countless times by redirecting the conversation or finding the right moment to slip away. You became trash in front of your crush. His big eyes and plump lips made your head spin and you just wanted to run your fingers through his blond hair.

    “Why don’t you just ask him out?” This was the millionth time she had suggested this.

    “I can’t just ask out the most popular guy in school.”

    “Why not?” Yena once told you that she didn’t care about cliques and that everyone is free game. She didn’t see the point in staying with people exactly like yourself; there was no diversity. She really didn’t understand why you couldn’t just date the person you liked.

    “Because that’s not how it works,” You had tried explaining before, but this time you didn’t feel like it.

    “Whatever, don’t forget we have that thing tomorrow. Wear something cute,” She instructed as she left to get to class early.

    You met Yena outside a cafe the next afternoon. You didn’t understand why you had to dress up if you were just going to a coffee shop that you guys went to on a daily basis.

    “Let’s go, they’re waiting.”

    “Who’s waiting?”

    “You’ll see,” she smirked and dragged you inside. Once you were inside you spotted him. How could he be here? You practically lived here and never saw him once. You had to get out; this wasn’t cool. Outside of a school setting, Yena may make a scene.

    “Let’s leave,” you whispered as you got closer to his table.

    “Why the rush?” She picked up the pace. “Hey, Jonghyun!” She shouted causing the dark haired male to look up.

    “You guys made it!” He stood up and gave Yena a kiss on her cheek.

    “Of course,” she giggled. What the ? She noticed your face was distorted in confusion. “Sorry did I forget to mention we were going on a double date?”

    “You forgot to mention that you had someone to go on a date with in the first place.” How could she not tell you? She knew every detail of your embarrassing crush yet she had a boyfriend and you didn’t even know.

    “My bad. Anyway, ____, Jonghyun. Jonghyun, ____.” He gave you a smile and a wave.

    “I guess it’s my turn for introductions. Yena, ____, this is Minki. Minki, this is Yena and ____.” You could feel your cheeks burning. He gave you both a shy smile and went back to drinking his coffee. He was so cute. When the three of you sat down, Yena and Jonghyun jacked one side of the table leaving you to awkwardly sit by Minki.

    The couple chatted while the two of you sat there quietly occasionally acting interested in their conversation.

"We'll be right back," Yena said dragging Jonghyun behind her.

"I don't think they are coming back," He spoke up after about ten minutes.

"You're probably right."

"So should we go do something?"

"W-what?" You stuttered.

"Maybe we could go for a walk," he shrugged.

"Y-yeah okay," you had to stop being so nervous.  

    The two of you strolled down the path under the cherry blossom trees. God this was so cheesy. What was going to happen next? A surprise confession?  Wow, this situation was straight out of a drama.

    “Should we rest for a bit?” He gestured to one of the benches off the path. You really didn’t want to stop because then the redness of your cheeks would be more noticeable. You shook your head and he just nodded in response.

    “So what do you like to do?” He broke the silence.

    “Um,” You bit your lip. Why were you so anxious? Pull it together ____.

    He laughed, “You’re a bit shy, huh? It’s okay so am I.”

    “Sorry, it’s just that…” You trailed off when you felt his hand in your hair. Your cheeks were burning and your jaw had dropped.

    “You had some petals in your hair.”

    You just nodded and continued walk. This was so embarrassing. How could Yena leave you alone when she knows how shy you get around Minki? Oh God what if he thinks you’re a freak? What if him and Jonghyun make fun of you later? What if Yena joins them? Is this her idea of a joke? .

    You were snapped out of your thoughts by a hand grabbing yours. You looked up at him, but he looked straight ahead a small smile lingering on his lips. You didn’t try to pull away because when would you get the chance to hold Choi Minki’s hand again?

    “Can I tell you something?” He stopped walking. You nodded and he released your hand turning to face you completely. “This is hard for me to say,” he laughed and rubbed the back of his neck.

    “It’s okay, you don’t have to say it if it’s difficult.”

    “No, I need to say this.”

    “Um...okay.”

    “____, truthfully,” he laughed again, “I’m making a fool out of myself, aren’t I?”

    “You just seem nervous.”

    “I’m gonna say it on the count of three,” he took a deep breath, “One, two, three. ____, I like you.”

    “What?” What? WHAT? Did he just? Your mind was swirling.

    “Sorry was it too sudden? It’s just that I’ve had a crush on you for awhile, but I was too shy to say anything.”

    “I-I...um,” You stammered.

    “It’s okay if you don’t like me back. I don’t blame you, I mean there’s probably someone better for you out there.”

    “It’s not that it’s just…” You couldn’t speak; you couldn’t think. You didn’t know what to do. Actions speak louder than words, right? You reached up and grabbed him by the collar, pulling him down into a kiss. Your lips moved in sync. He bit your lower lip and you parted your lips. You pulled away even though you didn’t want to and he pulled you into a hug.

    You rested your head against his chest, “Actually, I like you too.”