one.

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

"WHAT?!"

Mom looked at me and signaled me to sit down. We were having dinner at a nearby diner and it was going just fine; Eunmi unni was constantly cracking up her lame jokes like every normal dinner together, and all of us, Dad, Mom and I were laughing so hard we almost fell off our chairs because it was just way too lame. But of course, Mom being the party pooper, had to spoil the mood by telling us, or rather me, something I'd never thought she would ever think of.

"W-Why should I move to an unknown place just to further my studies? Oh my god, Mom! Just what are you thinking? Why must I go? Why didn't unni go? Why me? It-It doesn't make any sense! Right, unni?" I looked towards my elder sister in which she just shrugged and continued eating her food.

"Eun Hye ah, just sit down and listen to me. Hm?" Mom said in her most gentlest and motherly way possible.

I blew my bangs and sat, my legs and arms crossed, looking, or rather glaring, at my parents for an explanation. It better be convincing.

"Eun Hye ah, I know your results exceed both of our expectations. My! I didn't expect my daughter to be the first in her school! That is why I want you to exceed further. I have a friend who lives there and recommended me a really good school that you could easily get in without much difficulty, thanks to your results. Eun Hye ah, I know you want to be a doctor, a highly skilled one at that, and that school offers you to achieve such dreams! I have not confirmed anything yet but it would be an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity for you and for us. I'm not forcing you to go but I would be pleased if you do. I have never asked you for anything but let this be a favour for me."

I sighed. Mom never asked me for anything. Neither did Dad. And both of them know I'd do anything for them if they'd ask me to do it. I'm that kind of a person. I have never let my parents down. Ever. I knew how much we've gone through the past few years, and trust me, it wasn't easy.

Dad's company went bankrupt when I was in elementary school and we had to move into a squeezed and old two room flat. Four of us stayed there for at least six years before Dad's company started to improve again. Mom and Unni had to work their asses off for those six years, helping to pay our expenses and at the same time, help Dad with his company. I was young and clueless, but all I knew was that I didn't want any of my loved ones to stay horribly like that. Ever. And so, it motivated me to do well in school and somehow, along the way, I dreamt of becoming a highly skilled doctor. 

Mom's sudden news had me by surprise. I was initially mad. How could she ever think of letting her young and must I say, smart, daughter go overseas to further her studies? I'm doing pretty good in school, aren't I? Being the first in school and all. But I quickly shook that feeling away. 

I knew my parents wanted me to do better and they're just trying to help me to achieve my long-term dream. Would it be good if I go and make my parents proud? 

Aish! I really really don't know! Ahh, eotokke?

 

 

 

 

The way back home was unusually silent. Maybe it was because of me being angry at my parents earlier on, but it's not my fault. They should just tell me back at home, why at a diner of all places? Unni tried to uplift the heavy mood with her lame jokes but it didn't work. I was too busy thinking about going overseas, contemplating whether I should go or not. And my parents? They were too scared too utter another word in front of me because they knew my temper is hell.

As soon as the car stopped in front of our house, I quickly got off and walked to my room. I was still slightly angry then but I knew my manners. I closed the door behind me quietly and locked it. I really really wanted to slam it, really, but I didn't want to be rude.

I sat on my bed with a sigh and thought real hard about what Mom had said earlier on at the diner, while looking up at my ceiling, full of glow in the dark stars which I pasted on when I was fourteen.

I had wanted to see the stars then, but it was raining heavily. I made a big fuss out of it and my parents and sister were really annoyed. Mind you, it was probably 12 midnight. Yeah, you might be thinking, a fourteen year old making a fuss just because she can't see the stars cause it's raining? Really? 

I didn't know what had made me make such a big fuss out of it. I was, after all, a fourteen year old with a mentality old enough to know what can be done and what can't be done. In the end, Unni gave me some glow in the dark stars which I could paste on my ceiling. I was not amused.

Somehow, Unni had made me believe that the stars were special and not like any other stars we've seen. I had no idea how she had convinced me and made me believe her lame joke but she did. And here I am, looking at those stars again, which loses it's shine day by day. 

I was about to ask the stars on my ceiling, what I should do, just like every other time when I had a problem I can't solve, when there was a soft knock on the door.

Hesitantly, I walked to my door and unlocked it. It wasn't a surprise to see Unni standing there. She let herself in and lied on my bed. 

"Yah, Eun ah. Don't you want to be like a really good doctor in the future?" She suddenly asked.

I nodded my head as I sat at the end of my bed.

"You do know that Eomma and Appa just wants the best for you right? Yah, think about the hot guys you'll be able to meet there! You'll finally get to date! You're like what, 17? And you have not even dated before! Did you know I was 14 when I had my first boyfriend? When are you going to start dating, huh?"

I chuckled. Unni always scolds me for not having a boyfriend. But how can I, when I look like a piece of trash compared to my ever so beautiful sister?

"Eun ah, I know you'll do well there. I know you'll make us proud and you won't ever let us down. I know that. You would become a  highly skilled doctor, not forgetting, a doctor who can dance real ily! We believe in you, Eun Hye ah. Don't forget that. It's getting late and you should be getting to sleep. Don't think so much about it. Let Eomma and Appa know your answer tomorrow morning okay?" She said as she tugged me into bed and kissed my forehead.

I smiled at her although she can't see it as it was already very dark.

I'll just decide tomorrow morning. Like what Eunmi unni said, I shouldn't thinking so much. I'll just let my heart decide on its own tomorrow. And hopefully, it'd the right choice for me.

 


 

First chapter done! Hopefully, it's up to your liking! :)

xx Hyeyeon