Scare

Under One Roof

It was a bright, sunny Monday morning and Mrs. Yoon was already standing in front of the apartment building. She had imposed a rule among the tenants that every Monday is "trash day"; everyone should segregate their own garbage between biodegradable and non-biodegradable before putting it outside the apartment for the garbage collectors to get.

Mrs. Yoon glanced at her watch; it was already seven in the morning and anytime soon her tenants will start bringing out their trash.

And she was ready to give her tenants who wouldn't follow her rules a piece of her mind.

A few seconds passed, and a tall, long-haired office lady went out of the first room carrying two large garbage plastics with her. Her eyes widened at the sight of Mrs. Yoon standing in front of the apartment gate, "Ah, good morning, Mrs. Yoon. You're too early today," she greeted as she placed the trash beside the gate.

"Good morning, Victoria," Mrs. Yoon nodded, "On your way to work already?"

Victoria smiled, "Um, yes. I was about to leave earlier actually, but I remembered it's Monday," she chuckled, "And Monday is trash day!" she cracked an awkward smile on her face as she patted her landlady's shoulder.

"It's good to see you following the rules now," Mrs. Yoon smirked, "Remember when you once placed the biodegrables with your plastics?"

Victoria cringed; it was the worst experience she had in her life. Three years ago, when she was still new in Seodama Heights, she forgot to segregate her trash. Mrs. Yoon became really furious and annoyed that she made Victoria segregate her garbage outside using her bare hands.

"O--of course I remember that," Victoria chuckled nervously, "I was still new back then when it happened, Mrs. Yoon. Oh, and speaking of new, I heard that we have a new neighbor here."

Mrs. Yoon nodded, "Ah yes, it's Miss Park from Gangwon."

Victoria's face lit up; she always enjoyed meeting new people in their apartment, too bad the last time they had a new neighbor was eight months ago. And she was already getting tired seeing the same people over and over again, "Is she a student?"

"Yeah," Mrs. Yoon smiled, "Another Myungdon undergraduate."

"So, which room is she at?" Victoria tilted her head. She was already planning a small celebration for her new neighbor.

"She's on the second floor, room 21."

 

Victoria froze.

 

"Wait," she cleared before starting to speak, "Room 21's already occupied, Mrs. Yoon."

"I know," the landlady answered as her eyes gazed at the second floor of her apartment, "It's the shared apartment."

"But if I'm not mistaken, it's Kim Taehyung's apartment," she rubbed her chin as she spoke, "You know, that weird film major from Myungdon?"

"I know, I know," Mrs. Yoon smiled even widely, which confused Victoria, "They have separate bedrooms anyway, so it'll be fine," she sighed before looking straight at Victoria's eyes, "You might be late for work already, Miss Song. You should go now."

Mrs. Yoon had been the mysterious type, Victoria thought to herself. Although they already shared many conversations before, Victoria still couldn't get what was happening inside the old lady's head.

"Um, sure," Victoria forced a smile, "I'll just get my bag inside and I'll leave," she said before going inside her room again.

Mrs. Yoon watched her tenant until she closed her room's front door, "Have a nice day," the old lady whispered to herself.

 

-

"Cake," Sooyoung muttered to herself as she hugged the pillow beside her tightly. She was still in deep sleep, and apparently, she was dreaming about herself eating cakes of different sizes and flavors.

 

"Hey."

 

A small voice echoed in her head.

"Hey, Park Sooyoung."

Sooyoung wanted to open her eyes, but they were too heavy. And she also didn't want to leave her dream yet.

"Let me finish this mocha cake first," Sooyoung mumbled as she pulled her blanket up. And as she did that, she felt something wet run down her chin.

"Hey, you'll be late."

"Who are you even?" Sooyoung asked with an irritated tone in her voice. She disliked being disturbed in her sleep. And she was ready to strangle the person who kept waking her up. She slowly opened her eyes and much to her horror, Kim Taehyung's face was the first thing she saw.

"Eww, you're drooling," Taehyung remarked. He was sitting on the floor, in front of her bed, and his face was too close to her, as if he had been observing her the whole night. Sooyoung immediately felt her blood rush up to her cheeks. She quickly sat up straight in her bed and wiped her drool using the sleeves of her shirt. Meanwhile, Taehyung watched her with an awestruck look on his face.

"So girls drool in their sleep too," he grinned.

"What are you doing here?!" Sooyoung asked while pulling her blanket and pillows closer to her, making a shield which protected her from her weird roommate.

Despite the horrified expression Sooyoung wore, Taehyung remained indifferent and calm. He just scratched the back of his head and sighed, "Look, Parksu, I have no evil intention whatsoever on you," he added, "Breakfast is served. I kept knocking on your door but you didn't amswer, so I went in. I was just checking if you're still alive or if you've already hanged yourself."

Taehyung's last words piqued the interest of Sooyoung. Her eyes widened after hearing him, "Hanged myself? What do you mean?"

Sooyoung had been a fan of all things scary and thrilling, and that includes horror stories.

"Ah, it's nothing," Taehyung spoke before standing up and walking towards the door, "It's just that according to the stories I've been hearing from our neighbors, a previous tenant of this apartment committed suicide nine years ago. And up until now, she still haunts everyone who lives in this room, causing those people to kill themselves as well," Taehyung had a grim look on his face, which was enough to make Sooyoung feel goosebumps all over her body.

"What room are you talking about?" Sooyoung gulped.

The way Taehyung's eyes squinted was an enough response to her question. His facial expression was already implying that he he was talking about her room. Sooyoung could feel tht he was trying to send her a signal to be more wary of her surroundings.

"You mean I--"

"Shh," Taehyung placed his index finger on his lips, "Never let her know that you already know about it."

It was only seven in the morning but Sooyoung could already feel cold sweat all over her. She was a fan of horror stories, but she never wanted to become part of one. And listening to Kim Taehyung's mysterious cliffhanger story wasn't a good way of starting the day.

"You get yourself ready now," Taehyung broke the silence between them, "We'll be late for the first day," he added, before slowly closing the door behind him, leaving Park Sooyoung with a dumbfounded look on her face.

 

"What have I gotten myself into?" she thought to herself.

 

-

One good thing about Seodama Heights was that it was only a ten-minute walk away from Myungdon University. And the route was a wide street with cherry blossom trees planted on the sidewalk. Vehicles weren't allowed in that area, making the whole place more peaceful even if it was near the urban area.

Taehyung sniffed the air as he walked, carrying his backpack with him and his DSLR camera hanging from his neck, ready to start the new semester with a wide smile on his face. Of course, he was also happy about that fact that he will be graduating in two years' time; he was ready to take on the challenges of life and direct his debut film that will lead him to fame and success.

"Yo Parksu," Taehyung called out as he took a quick glance behind him, "Can't you walk a little bit faster? We'll be late."

Park Sooyoung wore a worried look on her face as she walked a few meters behind him. And her expression was far from the cheery Sooyoung she was a day ago.

"Are you still thinking about it?" Taehyung grinned. Sooyoung already know what he meant; he was talking about the horror story her room had.

"I need to know more about it," Sooyoung sighed and she already had a very serious look on her face, "Please tell me more about it, Mr. Kim."

Taehyung didn't know why, but he suddenly felt happy after hearing Sooyoung ask him more information about her room. For the first time, he felt honored to have such great trust be placed upon him. Too bad Sooyoung trusted the wrong person.

"Well, let me tell you other things about your room," Taehyung immediately straightened himself up, preparing all the lies he was going to tell her to make her change her mind and leave.

Yes, even the story he shared to her that morning was made up.

Taehyung had thought that Sooyoung was too stubborn to be forced to leave by using violence and threats, so he decided to scare the hell out of her instead. Besides, who wouldn't be scared of stories about ghosts and poltergeists? If Sooyoung wanted to live a healthy college life, she would leave immediately, Taehyung thought to himself.

He cleared his throat before starting to speak, "Did you check what's under your bed when you moved in?"

Sooyoung held her sling bag's thick strap tighter as she leaned her head closer towards Taehyung, "No, I didn't. Why?"

Taehyung couldn't help but crack a satisfied smile on his face after seeing the scared but serious expression Sooyoung already had. It seemed like everything was going according to plan, "Well, twenty years ago, a female tenant killed her boyfriend and placed his body under the bed."

Sooyoung froze on her spot; she didn't expect that the 'low-priced' room Mrs. Yoon offered her had so many stories to tell... and those were the not-so-nice horror stories.

"So don't be surprised if you suddenly feel someone grabbing you from your foot while your on the bed," Taehyung sighed before starting to walk ahead of her, and the even more disturbed expression Sooyoung had made him feel successful.

Taehyung was very sure that his roommate wouldn't last for two more days. Sooner or later she will be packing her bags to go, thanks to the creatively false grim stories he made up while playing a horror RPG the night before.

 

"Dang, I should make a movie out of this," Taehyung thought to himself,

___

 

twitter x ask.fm

Hi guys! Here is another long overdue update and please forgive me for this. Anyways, thank you very much for the 60+ subs and 8 upvotes; special thanks to QueenVelvet, DjTiffany, tinkerjung, lauranx, and BlueSkyEyes. You guys are all awesome! :) Please don't forget to drop a comment about this chapter. Happy reading!