30 Seconds

The Resistance

Skipping around stones and debris, the girl happily made her way through the streets that had partially demolished buildings on either side. Most would wonder why the girl was so happy when she lived in a time when her nation was falling apart and people were suffering and dying around her. Yet the girl was always the happiest when even the slightest form of humanity would shine through in a collapsing nation. Today her smiles were due to the baker accidentally giving her an extra roll than what she paid for with her ration card.

Although the building was grey with dust, most would consider the structure rather luxurious due to it being without any holes from bombs or gun shots. However it would be expected that such a fine building as this belonged to the government and held families of those workers.

The girl stopped when the guard signaled for her to show her ID. With the guard looking at the picture and then her face several times, he finally signaled to the other guard to move aside the barbed wire. With increased attacks from the Resistance, the government offered additional security protection for several sections used to house government workers. The girl’s father happened to work in the weapon industry while her mother was a typist in one of the higher government offices. Other than extra security, the government was kind enough to give her family double rations for a more comfortable living. However if you were part of the Resistance, such benefits would be called bribery in order to keep certain loyal to the government although it was controlling and causing the economy to collapse.

“Umma?”

“Jessica did you get the bread I asked for on your way home?”

The girl gave her mother a bright smile, “the baker gave us extra.”

The mother hurried over to take a closer look, “And you just took it?”

“The shop was busy that he never noticed.”

The mother went back to stirring the stew they were going to have for dinner, “as long as the baker didn’t notice. We don’t need him shortening us the next time we need bread.”

Jessica put down he stacks of books she was carrying and the bag of rolls onto the table before looking around, “Where is Krystal?”

“Her night classes started.”

“What about curfew?”

“Don’t worry. Your father is picking her up now. They will be home before curfew.”

Jessica pulled out a chair to sit down and opened her books to start reading but the loud whistle from the tea pot caused her to look up at her mother. The younger girl took time to examine her mother’s wrinkles that were increasing every day down to the new tear that was on the lining of her apron. She often wondered how someone who has a decent job could look so battered and worn.

“How are your studies?”

Jessica noticed her mother had turned to look at her, “I am learning much at University.”

Her mother came forward to rub her callused fingers through Jessica’s soft hair, “It is your final year isn’t it?”

Jessica smiled, “After this I can get a job like father.”

“Do you want to work at that bureau?”

“Isn’t that the nation’s strength?”

Her mother sighed as she took a seat next to Jessica, “I see so much of your father in you.”

Jessica smiled, “The Party is all we have. I need to support it in the right way.”

Not answering, Jessica’s mom stood up and returned to stirring her stew, “study some before dinner is ready.”

Jessica nodded while she returned to reading her books.

-------------------------

A hearty smell of vegetables and meat filled the apartment as a man and younger girl entered, “What a welcoming scent.”

The older woman turned to see her husband, “Dinner is done and your daughter did well by getting extra bread today.”

The man let out a serene smile, “Did she now?” He went to approach Jessica before kissing her on the top of her head, “You did good dear.”

Jessica smiled as she looked up at her father, “It is because the baker likes me.”

The older man laughed, “Actually I have been hearing talks of his son having taking an interest in you.”

Jessica sat bewildered by the news, “I thought it was odd that they would make a mistake like that.”

“But don’t get involved with him. He is of lower status in the Party.”

The girl sighed as she closed her books when her sister came to the table, “Mother where is dinner?”

Jessica’s mother came with the bowl of stew and placed it on the table next to the bread, “Jessica get rid of those books so we can eat.”

Jessica got up to put her books on her bed before joining her family at the table. After saying thanks, the family started light conversation, “Jessica dear I have talked to the attendants and it seems there are a few openings near me.”

Jessica smiled happily, “Don’t make me too excited for graduation father.”

The older man laughed, “I am sure you will do good for the Party.”

“The Party does well for us.” Jessica said as if it was something ingrained into her.

The youngest at the table looked around before looking down shyly, “Mother do we have enough for new shoes?”

The older woman looked down at the youngest’s battered shoes, “Krystal did you take that short cut to class again? There are so many scuffs on your shoes again.”

Krystal could hear the threatening tone from her mother, “I was going to be late…”

“Mother she is young and she can’t go to classes with those.” Jessica said pointing at the shoes at the door.

The older woman sighed, “I will talk to the dealer tomorrow.”

Krystal smiled happily at the thought of getting new shoes soon, “Krystal what is your night class on this year?”

Krystal put a spoonful of soup in before swallowing, “civil service.”

Jessica nodded, “Do you like it so far?”

“Any course for the Party should be liked.”

Jessica nodded once more before letting her father take over the conversation at the table. It was always pretty quiet around their household except for meal times when Jessica’s father’s deep voice would vibrate the walls with his hearty laughter or bold affirmations about attributes of the Party. It was always like that because the Party did well for their family.

----------------------------

Looking up at the teacher, Jessica saw his mouth moving but she had tuned out the repetitiveness of his words as she looked at his perfectly slicked back black hair and clean shaven face before staring at the pin on his left collar. The wings of the Party should be worn by any government worker and that was the same for any professor who taught new minds for the Party. Jessica lightly touched her collar thinking she would be branded with that pin soon. It was a great honor to receive that pin when a government job was secured.

“Class dismissed.”

Jessica stopped her daydreaming when she heard the professor dismiss the class, “comrade are you going to the meeting tonight?”

Looking up to the handsome boy, “is that a real question?”

The boy laughed, “should I restate it for you? Can I accompany you to the meeting?”

Jessica smiled before allowing the boy to take her books, “Father thinks you gave me the extra roll of bread yesterday.”

The boy gave out a nervous laugh, “Now why would I foolishly give away my father’s bread?”

Jessica looked over to the boy to give him a sly smile, “I wonder.”

The two entered he gymnasium that was already filling in with students that were released from classes, “Comrade Jung!!”

Jessica could see her best friend already waving her down, “Oh Hara…why use formalities with me?”

Hara laughed, “To annoy you.” The boy sat down next to Jessica, “Oh I see Comrade Ok is with you again.”

Jessica looked at the boy, “Taecyeon even uses formalities with me too.”

The boy laughed, “Comrade Jung likes to rebel it seems.”

Hara watched the two before nudging Jessica to whisper to her, “Does your father approve.”

Jessica shook her head ‘no’.

“Fellow comrades welcome!” All attention went towards the speaker on stage, “The Party does well for us today!”

Jessica leaned back into her seat as the meeting began.

----------------------------

Two hours later, Jessica was walking beside Taecyeon who offered to walk her near her home, “It is good to hear that the Resistance is dying down.”

Jessica nodded her head, “Do you really think they are? I hear of some government buildings still being attacked….”

“Nonsense! The Party wouldn’t lie.”

Jessica jutted her lip forward while she thought, “If the Party says so…”

 

Taecyeon had dropped Jessica off at a government building a block away from her home saying it was safe in this area and his father needed him home immediately to prepare for tomorrow’s crowd. Jessica knew the boy was busy helping his father since his mother died when the Resistance placed a bomb in the subway 3 years ago. 38 people died that day and was a mournful day for many people causing more hate towards the Resistance while the Party gained more ground at every death of innocents. This was the major reason Taecyeon was so head strong to be a leader for the Party instead of following his father as a baker.

Jessica looked up at her building for a few seconds before taking a seat on a bench. She didn’t know why she decided to take a seat instead of going straight home but after the meeting, she felt another speech about the Party from her father would suffocate her. Sitting here for a little while felt right.

------------------------------

Shadows ghosted through the cracks of the buildings before stopping short and hiding behind a broken down car, “There are 5 guards total at the gate and 3 inside the building.”

“What about the wire?”

“We are cutting it.”

“No mines?”

“We have monitored the area for a month now and the guards haven’t avoided any particular spots so we don’t believe so.”

The girl adjusted her hat before taking the bag from the man, “Set.”

The man watched the guards until they went out of sight, “Go. 1 minute inside.”

Two men dashed forward and the smaller girl followed. The one man stopped and snipped the wires to pull them wide enough for the other man who had a machine gun slung on his back and the girl to go through. The two were swift and made it to the small window before sliding down and squeezing in before the guards went to their positions. Heavy breathing was muffled as the man and woman stayed frozen until the shadow above them disappeared.

The man tucked the gun under his armpit and ushered the girl forward. The two made their way through the dank basement’s low ceilings and pipes before the girl stopped to her bag pulling out three home-made bombs, “Wait here while I plant them.” The man trusted the girl so he let her disappear in the dark for what seemed like just a few seconds, “3 minutes.”

Running towards the window they entered, the man helped push the girl through before making his way through. The two returned to the group, “All three?”

The girl nodded, “90 seconds.”

The group remained frozen in their spots while the leader watched the seconds tick down on his watch, “60 seconds.”

The girl with the backpack was watching the building like a hawk when something caught her eye. She saw a girl go past the guards but instead of going inside, she strode towards the side near where the group was hiding. Without thinking, the girl pulled down her hat and ran out of the bushes towards the girl.

The leader was going to grab the stupid girl but he was a second too late and panic struck as his watch read ’30 seconds.’

--------------------------------

Jessica stood right outside her home and looked up at the light illuminating from her apartment. She hesitated to enter thinking her parents might be angry at her for breaking curfew tonight. There wasn’t even an explanation for breaking her allotted time out other than she had a feeling she shouldn’t return home. With one last look up at the light illuminating her home, Jessica shuffled forward and flashed her ID before the guard moved aside the barbed wire so she could enter. Jessica was going to go into the building but she hesitated and decided to walk to the side of the building before leaning against the wall and closing her eyes while whispering, “I am in deep .”

A sudden breeze whisked in front of Jessica causing her eyes to open wide as a shorter person in a black hat grabbed her arm and jerked her to  follow behind. Jessica didn’t feel like she had the power to resist as the person headed towards the brush near her building but before they could make it to the wire that separated the brush, a large explosion behind the two flung them forward as dust darkened over them.

Jessica coughed a bit when she regained her breath.  She looked over for the person that saved her but the dark figure wasn’t anywhere to be seen and then panic struck. Rolling over, Jessica looked upon the building she once called a home, but it was no more. Her shelter, safety and family disappeared within those last 30 seconds.

 

 

 


Author's Note

Wow my readers are always so supportive! Thanks for the upvotes even before I got up the first chapter.

Always good to start off with a bang!