Chapter 1

Only if...

12 weeks later… and summer holiday is over and we are a few weeks into college.

8:09 am

Great! I moaned to myself, I’m early again. Nowadays, I arrive before the teacher. I shouldn’t complain, I guess it’s better than being late. I waited outside the art classroom and decided I’d pass the time by scrolling through Twitter.

 Woah! The first post I see is of EXO, it’s another teaser image. I wonder what their comeback will be. I quickly dismissed the thought and went back to scrolling.

 Oh.

Hmm.

That’s cool. I mentally commented at every picture as I looked through all the posts.

“BOO!”

“Ahhh! What the hell? JEON JUNGKOOK!” I screamed.

“Did I scare you?” he asked whilst laughing hysterically.

“It’s not funny! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

“You make it too easy!” he said as he tries to calm down.

Before I had the chance to say anything else, the other students started to walk in through the door and so does the teacher.

“Good morning, Marie. How are you on this fine morning?” the teacher asked.

 “I’m fine thank you sir, what about you?”

“Very well, thank you,” he replied in his usual cheery voice.

I force a smile and walked into class.  I took my seat which is opposite to Jungkook. He’s talking to one of the other boys in the class but I couldn’t quite make out what they’re saying over the sound of my music. I looked towards the door and at that very moment, Steph ran in, looking very red and out of breath too.

“S-sorry I’m l-late,” she apologised as she panted and tried to slow down her breathing.

I laugh quietly at her. She took her seat next to me.

“Hi,” she said, placing her art book on the desk with a thump.

She’s not the type to hug, unlike Mina, but her greetings were always full of love.

“Hey!” I replied as I attempted to wave while my head was resting on my arms.

Jungkook nodded to greet Steph and asked, “Why are you late this time? That’s not like you.”

She sighed and lightly slammed her hand on the table, “All because of Hannah, she’s always making us late, that girl can never get up on time, even Megan is getting sick of waiting for her.”

“Then why do you walk with her then?” Jungkook asks while grinning at Steph’s annoyance.

“Because it’s rude to leave her behind,” she replied in a slightly irritated voice.

“You British people and your politeness,” Jungkook said.

He was trying to annoy her even more and it seems to be working.

“British your head! I’m Chinese born and bred,” Steph replied and looked up at the teacher.

“Please pay attention for a moment,” the teacher instructed in a loud voice, “We’re still waiting for a few people but we might as well get started.”

I took out my headphones and listened.

“Today, I want you to take two pieces of paper from this pot,” he held up a pink pot, “and two pieces of paper from this pot,” and then he held up a blue pot.

Just as he was about to explain, Peter walks in, late as per usual.

“Just wait outside Peter; I’ll catch you up in a minute.” Peter nodded and closed the door.

“As you are all aware, your exam will be launched on Monday, so as a way to get you ready, I’ve come up with a series of words that are associated with your topic, without giving it away. You are all very welcome.”

“Kamsahamnida,” Jungkook added very loudly that it caught the teacher off guard.

Steph and I laughed while the rest of the class, as well as the teacher stared with confused expressions.

“Excuse me Jungkook?”

Jungkook stutters with a look of fear on his face so I quickly jumped in to save him from more embarrassment. “Sir, you said ‘you’re welcome’ so he said ‘thank you’”

“He was just being polite,” Stephanie added.

Jungkook smiled at us as a way to say thank you.

“Oh, well, you’re very welcome Jungkook. Anyways, moving on, I want you guys to create five pieces of artwork based on those four words you pick. Understand?” Everyone nodded and he left to find Peter.

Jungkook turns back around to face us, “Well that was embarrassing.”

“Nah! It was funny! Good joke,” Steph adds, in attempt to make him feel better.

He looked over at me. I lifted my thumb up and smiled.

We spent the rest of the lesson chatting and didn’t end up getting much work completed. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow. 

 

10:00 am

Just as the lesson was about to end the teacher walks back in, “Alright everyone you can go, just bear in mind this room is free till 11:30 so you can stay if you wish to, if not I’ll see you on Wednesday.”

We got up and prepared to leave. As we walked through the door I heard the teacher say, “Bye Steph, bye Marie, bye JK.”

I laugh to myself. JK, that’s the nickname we gave Jungkook since most people found it hard to pronounce ‘Jungkook’. I shouted back, “Bye Sir!” before closing the door and walked off.

We walked down three flights of stairs in silence. In no time we reached to ground floor and walked towards to college’s shop. This is where the “squad” met every day. We called each other squad in an ironic way but not everyone understood that it was an inside joke.

“Here hold this I need the toilet” I hear Steph say as she gave me her art folder before she headed towards the bathroom.

“That girl always needs the toilet” I hear a loud voice say from behind me. I turn to see Taehyung, J and Yoongi heading in our direction. Taehyung is Steph’s boyfriend, they’ve been together since high school.

“Hey guys” I say before putting the two folders I was holding onto the floor and hugging each of them.

They all looked over towards Jungkook who just gave them a nod.

I heard my phone buzz and looked to see who it is. Aurora. I answered the phone. “Hey” I said.

“Hi where are you guys?” she replied sounding very excited.

“Usual meeting place. Most of the crew are here” I stated in answer to her question.

“Okay we’re on our way, see you in a bit” and with that he cut the phone.

I head back towards the others and see that Steph is back. I also noticed that Jungkook had ended a phone call with someone too.

“He looks over to us and said” It was Namjoom, he said him and Jimin are going to meet us outside in a bit.”

“Okay, well Aurora said she was on her way with Jin. Oh here they come now.

“Annyeonghaseyo, how is everyone?”