Avoiding

How Can I Reach You?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter passed and spring came. You’re a flower with green leaves and raindrops. I didn’t know what to do.

I was internally screaming after I slammed my bedroom door behind me. Maybe I was going crazy, but I think I just saw Tao standing in my hallway. Wait, what? I just saw Huang Zitao, a K-Pop STAR who is supposed to be in KOREA in MY HALLWAY that is located in LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. HOW?!? My heart was racing at a million and one miles a second and I was trembling. Briefly, I remembered my mom mentioning a new transfer student moving in with us, but I never could have possibly that that it would be HUANG ZI ING TAO!?! No way, this wasn’t happening, it couldn’t possibly be happening, there was no way that the, THE Huang Zitao was going to be living in my house. I don’t think I’d be able to survive the next few months if we were only going to be a COUPLE feet apart. What if I snored at night? I would die if he ever found out I was an EXO fan, let alone find out that he was my bias. How would I listen to my music now!?!

Suddenly I remembered the letter I had Kevin deliver for me. What if Tao found out that it was me who wrote that letter!?! I would have died of pure embarrassment.

“Sweetie, it’s time for dinner! Come meet our new guest!” My mom called from downstairs and I almost burst into tears.

Tao was going to see me eat!?!

I finally came down the stairs after literally abusing my closet to find something suitable to wear; it couldn’t be too fancy or anything but I couldn’t just wear my sleeping clothes like usual. I eventually went with an old swim team t-shirt I owned and shorts. My heart was thumping loudly in my chest and I didn’t dare try to make eye contact with those gorgeous feline like eyes. Oh my god, he looked even MORE handsome in person with his blonde hair finger-combed to the side and his causal t-shirt and sweats pairing. I literally wanted to scream right then and there, but that would have been VERY awkward, so I internally wrapped chains around my fangirl heart to keep it calm. I rushed into the kitchen to help my other so that I would stop myself from staring for long. Tao was talking to my father in the dining room in his adorable clipped English and smiling. Why do his eyes have to crinkle when he smiles!?!

When I stepped into the kitchen, Kevin was standing there in the kitchen talking with my mother and I almost fell over myself. First Huang Zitao appears inside my house and now my cousin, who’s supposed to be in Korea, is here too!?! Who else is going to just pop up inside this house, the president of the United States?!?

“Kevin!?!” I cried, “What are you doing here is LA?”

“I just came here to help your new guest get settled in,” He said with a teasing wink. He knew VERY well by now that Tao was my bias.

“So you’re the culprit!” I yelled as I lunged for him, ready to let him have it.

“Oh, I thought you’d be excited to have your bias here?” He said between loud guffaws of laughter.

“Excited!?! I’m going to DIE before the weeks over, are you trying to kill me?!?” I screeched.

“What was I supposed to do, he needed a nice place to stay and your house was perfect,” He replied with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

I let out a frustrated sigh. There was no point in getting mad at Kevin now, what’s done is done. I would just have to deal with Tao’s annoyingly perfect presence for the next couple months.

“Did you tell him I wrote the letter?” I seethed.

“No, I would never break my promise,” He replied with a serious look, “But I did tell him the author of that beautiful letter lived here in Los Angeles”

“Ughh, you’re so frustrating,” I cried.

“Don’t worry, it’s only for a couple months!” He said encouragingly.

“It’s going to be a long couple of months,” I mumbled as I stormed out of the kitchen.

Dinner was, to say the least, interesting. I sat across from Kevin, who sat next to Tao. My mom was at one end of the table and my dad was at the end of the other. My siblings had eaten earlier and were playing upstairs with plushies and robot figurines. My mom had made her famous three cheese lasagna that I had always loved, but tonight I focused on not looking like a pig in front of the one and only Huang Zitao. Kevin was laughing at me silently, his shoulders shaking at my obvious discomfort. My parents made conversation with Tao, asking him about his life in Korea that I knew all too well about, but I listened intently anyways. He said that life as k-pop star was hard but he loved it, and that he was glad to take a break for a while. I instantly remembered his injuries and bit my lip.

“So what are you planning on doing here in Los Angeles Tao?” I asked, trying not to let my voice crack.

“I plan on studying a little, improving my English, and getting therapy for my injuries,” He said with a smile and my breath hitched.

“I think your English is pretty good,” I said with a small smile.

“Oh thank you, my friend helped me,” He said with a bashful grin.

I remained quiet for the rest of the meal, throwing glances every once in a while in Tao’s direction. Quickly, I finished my plate and excuse myself. I had to call my best friend and tell her about this, she would help me out. I could feel Tao’s concerned stares on my back and wanted to crawl into a hole somewhere and rethink my entire life. I didn’t even know Tao that well? How does an almost complete stranger do that to you?!? One of life’s many questions…

After staying on the call with my friend for hours, discussing what I should do in ANY situation involving Tao, I left my room to go into the kitchen and grab some milk. As I poured myself a glass, I heard low talking in the dining room. Quietly, I snuck closer to listen and I instantly recognized Tao and Kevin’s voices.

“At least give me a clue about her!” Tao whined.

“All right, but it will be pretty small,” Kevin replied with a sigh.

“I’ll take anything, I came her to find her after all,” He said, “I really want to thank her”

They must be talking about my letter I thought and my face flushed.

“She goes to the same college as you, UC LA, but she has a different major,” Kevin said.

Wait, we got to the same college now!?!

“Oh, that makes things easier, thanks Kevin!” Tao said, and I could tell he was smiling.

“Good luck with finding here, you only have a few months you know,” He replied.

“Don’t worry, I can do anything because I’m Tao!” The other replied and the two laughed.

I quickly ran up the stairs to my bedroom with my glass of milk before they could discover me. Once the door was closed, I took a deep breath and tried to calm down. There was a lot of information to process. Tao had come to Los Angeles to find me!?! Well, he didn’t know it was me, but the sender of the letter. I never would have anticipated that my letter would have such an affect on him. I didn’t know what to think. Did I want him to find out it was me? I would probably die of embarrassment if he ever discovered the truth. In all honesty, I didn’t want him to find out. I didn’t want to become someone important to him, he didn’t belong here. He belonged with his brothers on the stage, performing with a big smile. I would only be hurting myself, falling for him when I knew he could never stay. Best to hide the truth and disappoint him then revea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter